Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Reggie Died
Mar 24, 2004
While the Ikea Jerker is an awesome desk, I finally decided to ditch it for a DIY floating shelf/table.

Before:

Click here for the full 912x684 image.

After:

Click here for the full 730x547 image.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reggie Died
Mar 24, 2004

IsaacNewton posted:

What did you use for the top? is it solid wood? Asking because that's totally my future desk and I have you to thank for the ideas I'm going to steal.

Yeah, it's three pieces of 2x8 (or 2x10, forget, been working out of town past few weeks) of fir. I was going to use plywood but because it's floating and long (almost 8 feet), I think the plywood would have sunk in the middle.

niss posted:

Amazing desk, Ive done a floating L in the past. I am assuming yours doesn't have brackets and is just anchored on either end. If you have any more photos of the desk I would love to see them. Trying to get some inspiration for my new office.

Thanks for the kind words. No brackets, but it's anchored on either end and throughout the middle. I fastened 2x4's to the studs horizontally and then framed them out with pressure blocks. I can take some pictures of the underside when I get home if you want.

The great thing about it is the cable management. I can just nail all the cables to the underside framing material with standard cable staples, and those two small bookshelves on either end (which my computer sits on) are on wheels so it's easy to get to the back of the comp.

The two drawers / keyboard tray were probably the hardest part...I'll take pictures of those if you want too, let me know.

Reggie Died
Mar 24, 2004
I couldn't really find a desk I liked or was willing to spend money on, so I decided to go the DIY route. I just happened to have a left over bottom cabinet from a Ikea kitchen install I did, and was lucky enough to exchange the door fronts for plain white. All the wood is left overs from a few jobs, so I only had to pay for the paint/stain/poly ect. Very minimal cost.

P1000917 by Reggie Died, on Flickr

P1000915 by Reggie Died, on Flickr

I also built a computer/printer stand. It was a failed coffee table (first woodworking try), so quickly converted it to a makeshift stand.

P1000912 by Reggie Died, on Flickr

Reggie Died
Mar 24, 2004

tripsevens posted:

What kind of wood is that? The grain is dead sexy.

The desk is pine, the stand is cedar.