Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Koskun
Apr 20, 2004
I worship the ground NinjaPablo walks on

scrubs season six posted:

Also if anyone knows of a good mat to put under the chair. I've got one of those hard plastic ones with the nubs on the bottom but the edges are curling up...
Don't go cheap on these. I went through a couple of the 20-50 buck ones, and they would either crack, curl, or both within a few months. Though the cracking seemed to be more an issue of the thickness of the carpet. Get a good high quality office level mat, thick as you can find, and it will last well and shouldn't curl up on you at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koskun
Apr 20, 2004

Oxyclean posted:

I've never been to crazy about keyboard trays - they've always felt very un-sturdy, or don't really like to stay in place, on top of offering fairly limited space, which is a particular problem if I want to use my wacom. (For what its worth I'm 5'2)

Make your own keyboard tray.

I picked up a couple of used executive desks about a decade ago from an auction place (repo/foreclosure/out of business). These things are 6' wide, 3' deep, and 29" high (and I put casters on them which raised em another 2 1/2"), with 2 drawers to one side (regular drawer and file cabinet size below). They had no keyboard tray on them, and even with the chair I have it was still too low and uncomfortable. I went over to my Dad's, took a look around, and there was an 8' long 1' wide un-cut stair riser. Nice and smooth with a rounded edge. Cut the thing in half, went to Menards and picked up two pairs of heavy-duty drawer slides, and some stain that matched the desks. Took me about 20 minutes to install both of them using my chair (put them on the arm rests, put the chair to the lowest setting, slid the chair under, popped the lever).

I fully agree that aftermarket keyboard trays are either really cheap or over engineered. Take a stroll to your nearest Menards type store. Any one of em should be more than willing to cut something to length for you. This way you can get the length and width you want, it will be sturdy, you can paint/stain it however you want. Add in some good mounting hardware and you can get it to the height you want pretty quickly. If it isn't low enough put in some spacers to lower it an inch at a time until you get to the height you like.

For those looking for monitor stands, maybe I'm lucky in that I have a really good used computer store about an hour away. The main company is electronic recycling, but if something they pull in is still in good shape, they clean it up and put it out for sale. As a note, they pull virtually all their inventory from corporate environments. I've picked up everything from printers, laptops, desktops, monitors, 48-port switches, cases, SSD's, and even monitor stands from them. Right now they have like 5 dual arm, articulated monitor stands sitting on the shelf.

Take a look/google around, especially if you are in or near a big city. Electronic recycling is a pretty big business at the moment, so I'd be stunned if any modestly sized city didn't have one or two, then see if they re-sale what they get in.

Koskun
Apr 20, 2004

Oxyclean posted:

So I'm still having some issues with ergonomics that are leaving me frustrated. My desk height and chair have worked for me for the past 5-10 years, and lately I just cannot find a position my mouse arm is comfortable in. Either there's discomfort in the forearm, or I don't like how the edge of the desk feels against my arm - which seems weird when this new desk a more rounded edge then my old one. Trying out a lower desk height so that my arms would rest 90* didn't feel much better or left me uncomfortable in other ways.

I'm willing to consider my chair could be part of the problem - the seat certainly is a bit worn down from years of use and the seat depth is a bit on the deep side for my height. Even if I were to get something like a keyboard tray, the arm rests aren't in the best condition either. I'm not sure how keen I am on spending more money right, particularly if it doesn't fix the problem. Are there good ergonomic chairs that won't break the bank? I've seen people bring up the Aeron - I have one at work and it's not bad, I'm just not sure if it's worth the 1000$ USD price tag they have on their website. I see a kijiji (like craigslist, but for canada I think.) posting with some Aeron's in my city for 400$ which seems tempting but I'd probably need to find out what sort of condition the chairs are in.

Take a look around and see if there are any used office furniture places near/near-ish to you. A foreclosure, bankruptcy, remodel, are all reasons that used office furniture would go up for sale, and there are business' that buy the stuff and re-sell it. I've got one about half an hour away from where I live. I got a really nice Steelcase chair that still retails for 950 for 60 bucks.

I'd also see if there are any auctions going on (higher chance the nearer you are to a bigger city) of places that went out of business.

Koskun
Apr 20, 2004

Oxyclean posted:

As for keyboard trays - I'm not really sure what to look for that will work for my desk. Another poster suggested building my own but I'm not very handy and don't really have much access to tools and the such.
I believe I am the one whom you are referring to. To make a basic keyboard tray would take a drill (1 or 2 small bits), screwdriver (or screwdriver bit for said drill), some paint or stain with a brush (I thought paint to match the white of your desk), and maybe a sheet or two of sandpaper.

This is almost exactly what I used, the difference being mine was 8' long. Nice and smooth already, with a rounded edge. If you want you can rough it up a bit with some sandpaper before you paint/stain it, as commercially planed wood can sometimes be so smooth it doesn't soak it up that well. If 4' is too long, simply ask if they would be willing to cut it down to whatever size you would like.

The drawer/keyboard tray slides, these are exactly what I have, support up to 75 pounds, ball bearing, and have a notch they set in when slid out all the way.

Koskun
Apr 20, 2004

Oxyclean posted:

I have a Bekant - so mounting to the side isn't an option.

It isn't a side mount to the desk, the hardware I linked has arms that go up, so you screw them to the bottom of the desk. The tray itself is mounted on the side of the hardware. I can see how that first pic is misleading about the mounting.

Depending on how thick that desktop is, and what material it is made out of, a few drops of gorilla glue wouldn't hurt.

Koskun
Apr 20, 2004

Macaluso posted:

I figure this would be a good thread to ask. I want to look into both a decent sized tv/monitor to mount to my wall, plus a good mount for it. Does anyone have good suggestions on either? I've never looked into anything but a typical desk monitor. I want to be able to hook it up to both my PC and my Switch so I can watch twitch and youtube and poo poo and play danky kang

As to mounts, it really all depends on what you might want. If you want articulation, the price goes up, as most mounts made for monitors aren't rated for TV's. Figure $50-75 minimum for an articulated one. If you simply want it mounted to the wall, perhaps with a bit of angle adjustment, I picked up mine from Menards for like 11 bucks. It supports up to a 60", and probably would take larger than that as the newer TV's are lighter.

The one I have is not quite a flush mount, but pretty close. I think it gives at most 2" of clearance between the wall and the back of the TV. I offset that as I screwed a 2x6 to the wall first using some pretty beefy deck screws, then attached the mounting plate for the wall mount to that. It upped it to a good 5 or so inches of space behind the TV.

Even then, as ufarn mentioned, getting the cables to the TV. In my experience most TV's have one or two HDMI and even component hookups on the side, but you can easily find TV's with all/majority of the connections on the back. That said, you can readily find L adapters for everything from coax to HDMI, that would make attaching the cables easier for mounts that are flush/close to flush mount, and even in someplace like Wal-Mart they are 5-7 bucks.

If you are wanting to watch dual inputs at the same time, that is possible, but you'd have to find a monitor or TV that supports it. Otherwise you can look into a multi-monitor setup, with a supporting dual-screen mount.

Koskun
Apr 20, 2004

Sininu posted:

Next step will be getting a proper ergonomic chair as the current one is just the simplest chair imaginable. That'll be 2 months away though as they are so expensive.
Do you happen to have a used office furniture store around you?

There is a place near me (West Michigan), most of it comes from end-of-lease, some from places that have closed. It isn't crap walmart stuff either, it's all name brand mid to high quality stuff. I got a Steelcase Criterion for 60 bucks.

Koskun
Apr 20, 2004

LifeLynx posted:

I hope this is the place to ask, but I'm having trouble picking out a new desk. My current one is a 53" wide desk with an unremovable hutch on the back that's really too annoying to work with. My 27" monitor has to be tilted to fit, which is horrible on my eyes, and the 24" (that I plan to upgrade to a 27" eventually) is up on top of the hutch - great for putting on Netflix while I work, but horrible for any kind of productivity. And I'm moving, so this is the perfect time to replace it.

I've got a little space in the room where I want to put the new desk. It's a 46" wide hole with 32" on the sides. Ignore the measurements written here, they were based off an incorrect floorplan, but you get the idea:

The plan originally was to put the desk against that back 47" wall, but now I'm thinking I want to put a wider desk in that starts on the wall where the arrow is pointing to the 40" and goes almost to the wall on the far left of the image, leaving space for me to go into my little cubicle. I was considering the typical Ikea Linnmon/Double Alex, but I'm so used to a keyboard tray I don't know if I'd get wrist strain working without one. How's the Ikea Linnmon/Alex desk work for gaming and productivity? Is there a recommended shelf kind of thing for putting the monitors a few inches higher?

I'm having trouble finding reviews of desks that aren't clickbait top 10 lists or that don't recommend some hideous DX Racer l33t gaming desks.
What is your budget for a desk here?

Something that may end up being custom length and width could really make the decision for you as to whether or not you get a pre-made or "make it" yourself.

Something like a butcher block with some beefy legs/file cabinets could be custom fit in the space pretty easy, though pricey. Is this a place where you can do wall supports/bracing or no. If yes, it could make a clean "floating" desk, just put in grommet holes or slots for cables.

If that is out of your budget, I'd look around for a used furniture place, even a thrift type store. I'd also check to see if you have a Habitat Resale Store near. (so as to not make the mistake the last time I suggest this, this may only apply if you are in the States). You might not find a desk that exactly fits, but I'd bet it could be taken apart and modified fairly easily with minimal tools. Could also find something like a counter top, that with a bit of bracing could work quite well as a desk.

Koskun
Apr 20, 2004

LifeLynx posted:

I want to go affordable. The Ikea build is $229 and I consider it the high end of what I could afford, but I spend at least eight hours a day at it so it needs to be comfortable. I'll check out the Habitat Restore, thanks - there's one 12 minutes from me, turns out!

I've got 3 of the Habitat stores within 45 or so minutes of me, and the inventory difference between them is kind of bonkers.

The main one I like to hit is the one farthest away, but they constantly have some sort of either counter top, old desk, or the like available. One of the other ones I picked up a 3 drawer cabinet, they had 2, but I only wanted one, so. Grabbed some casters from a bin, a couple of nuts and a 1 dollar piece of scrap they had laying around, and I now have a rolling filing cabinet. Works great for my Surface.

Ok, slightly off there. But if you are in a moderately non-rural area, I'd also look to see if there is a Salvation Army store near as well. I pop into the one near-ish to me a few times a year, and they constantly have old huge desks. Pick up some legs (or file cabinets), maybe a bit of cutting, and a nice "custom" desk is yours.

I'd also check to see if there are any actual office resale stores around. One near me has a small warehouse with literal rows of different sized desktops. Last time I got one it was around 50 bucks for a 5' x 2' top, and like 30 or so for set of legs.

Koskun
Apr 20, 2004

Oxyclean posted:

Anyone have desk/chair/setup recommendations for someone on the shorter side? (5'2) Or just general ergonomic tips if you've been in a similar situation?

I came by maybe a year ago with some similar questions, I got a desk from Ikea that has adjustable height, as well as swapped out my 7 or so year old desk chair for a Steelcase Series 1 that had much better adjust-ability, but honestly after some time while some previous problems with hand discomfort/pains got better, I'm really not finding it to be very comfortable overall.

What I'm not really getting is I feel like I should be really close to what ergonomic calculators say I should be at- for my height the surface should be at 23" from the ground - my desk's lowest setting is around 26" and I'm using a footrest, so my arms are in a good position, but I'm frequently finding my legs uncomfortable. I think part of the problem is the Series' 1 has a fairly curved cushion so it's a bit weird for how I sit? But I can't help but feel like the height of the chair might be an issue despite that the foot rest should be making up the difference?

Sorry this is a bit of a mess, this has become a bit of a stress point for the past year or so.

e: To give something a bit easier to respond to, when I last came around some people suggested to avoid older model HM Aerons - is there an easy way to tell them apart from the "good" ones? While looking at liquidators, I've seen a few different looking ones - black with horizontal lumbar, black with the Xish shaped lumbar, and sliver with the Xish shaped lumbar. Doing some light research, there also seems to be a "remastered" which has a vertical style lumbar -is the Classic/Remastered the old/new people generally mean?
e2: This is the seller I'm looking at: https://www.kijiji.ca/o-profile/68053660/1 Looks like they have some Leap V2s as well, which I've heard good things about?

Have you thought about adding a keyboard tray to the desk to lower the height your arms have to go to? Looking at that desk it would be pretty easy to set one up under it that could bridge that 3" or be really close.

I've mentioned in this thread before about how easy it is to make a really robust one for 30-50 bucks with very minimal tools.

Koskun
Apr 20, 2004

Oxyclean posted:

I'm not super keen on a keyboard tray since I have a drawing tablet (wacom intuos) that would be a bit tricky to find space for, short of having a really deep tray?

But in regards to adding a tray to this desk - what would be the approach? There's a metal brace that crosses underneath, would I mount to that rather then the underside of the surface?

I just noticed that support structure underneath, with what looks like a cable catch/hammock. It could be mounted to that, but the hardware requirement would go up. At the least a good drill and set of metal bits (and maybe a punch or nail will work). Depending on where you are, you might be able to rent out a drill though. It will all depend on where the mounts for the rails line up on the desk. If they can mount to the wood, then is there enough space between the tray and the rails for things to slide under them? If on the metal that wouldn't be a concern. If on the wood underside then you may want to consider spacers the thickness of the metal supports. It adds a touch more work and material, but not much at all.

I built mine out of a stair tread. One of these in fact. And then something like these keyboard slides.

Two reasons I used a stair tread. The first is I happened to have one in the garage. But the main one is, they are smooth and have a nice rounded edge. Now, they are just under 12" deep (standard is 11.5"). So you'd be looking at keyboard, mouse, wacom side by side by side. And the pull distance on the slides I linked is 10". Now Amazon does have slides that go up to 18", and you could do 2 "trays", then have a really deep tray. Wouldn't be that much more work either.

One thing you may have noticed on the tread is that it is 4' long. Most every lumber store out there will cut a piece to length for a nominal fee (like a few bucks at most, maybe even free for just one piece like that).

When I mounted mine I simply put the tray on my chair's armrests, set it to it's lowest height, slid it under the desk, then popped it up. The hydraulics held it in place just fine so I could mark, drill, and then mount.

Swing on over to the paint/stain department and pick up what ya want and a cheap package of foam brushes. I do recommend putting something on it, if for no other reason than to help seal the wood and protect from staining (and help a bit with wear).

Koskun
Apr 20, 2004
I like mine, but it's also almost 4' long.

Koskun
Apr 20, 2004

Hughmoris posted:

I thought keyboard trays died in the early 2000s.

In my case I bought a couple of used executive desks. 6' wide, 3' deep, with drawers on one side. Their height is just a touch higher than my chair would go to comfortably use a keyboard and mouse. I had a couple of the cheap Staples/Office Max plastic keyboard trays at the time, but making one almost 4' wide was just about as easy, didn't cost much at all (it actually cost more for the slides than I spent on the desks), and provides way more comfort and space than anything out there.

Koskun
Apr 20, 2004
Most every monitor arm out there go by weight. They say size, but really it's the weight they care about. Since modern TV's and monitors are so much lighter than they were even 5 years ago, I'd simply look for adjustment/reach you like, make sure it meets or exceeds the weight of your monitor, and there ya go.

Koskun
Apr 20, 2004

CubanMissile posted:

What's the best kind of bit to drill a clean hole through a desk? I would use a hole saw but it chews up the veneer around the hole really bad.

They make bits for that, but the easiest way is to clamp a sacrifice piece of wood on the veneer side. This greatly reduces blowout. Then just lightly sand the edge if needed.

Koskun fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Feb 27, 2020

Koskun
Apr 20, 2004

Zedd posted:

That + drill from both sides and make them meet halfway (if you want the underside to not get that drillhole "pop" breakaway chip.)

First though drill all the way through with a much smaller bit, so you can center align. Otherwise you could end up with a figure 8 and not a nice clean hole.

And you can also just clamp another sacrifice piece on the underside. Tape can sometimes work as well, but that is for smaller holes. Something like a hole saw, which you can get with fine teeth, are just very aggressive and tape wouldn't hold back much at all.

Koskun
Apr 20, 2004

Dielectric posted:

Get one of these and use whatever makes a halfway decent 2" hole:

https://www.amazon.com/Grommet-Plastic-Organizers-Computer-Insert/dp/B07MJQP38Q

Depends on the material the desk is made out of, how good the veneer is, what type of bit, and any prevention to blowout used. I've seen chunks 2" long be taken out of a piece of wood. The lip on those grommet's isn't going to cover that.

Koskun
Apr 20, 2004
Personally I'd go with 2 single arm adjustable clamp stands.

If you ever change monitors, you can easily swap out one monitor and shuffle around to make/adjust to the new space. Using a double mount/single post stand, you can be pretty limited to the size of monitors you use. For example, if you get a 32" ultrawide, it will eat up a double stand in a heartbeat (and mine barely fit 2 27" monitors as it was).

As to clamping to a thin desktop, well just beef it up a bit. A scrap piece of 2x4, say a foot long or so, would be more than enough to clamp to, and would greatly reduce the strain on your desktop. 2cm, is it glass by chance? If so you would want to pad the top so as to not risk ruining the glass. An old mouse pad, I'd double it should fit that bill easily.

I'd wager the reason the arms at your work wobble is because they are cheap and/or old arms. I went through 3 different arms before I found one that was drat near rock solid. As to the cat, well, that's a cat thing, I've learned to live with it.

Koskun
Apr 20, 2004

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Just get some good computer speakers or a a single stereo unit? I'd recommend the Audioengine B2.

200 bucks for a speaker? That seems a little much.

Koskun
Apr 20, 2004
Getting something cheap/free and re-purposing it is the best.

Don't know how much capability you have as far as transportation, but second-hand stores are great sources for old huge executive desks. Not the easiest now with all the shutdowns, but there is also FB Marketplace and maybe Craigslist (though CL is rapidly declining).

Habitat Resale and Salvation Army have stores, and they very often have huge old school and executive desks in them. The older the desk is the more likely you are to find a solid top too.

Take what you want, put nice sturdy legs under it, and there ya go. A couple of the Habitat resale stores near me usually have an assortment of desk legs as well. A quick sand, depending on if it is laminate or not depends on how much sanding you can do, and some finish can be done for 20-30 bucks, and that is including a cheap powered hand sander.

Koskun
Apr 20, 2004

Tedronai66 posted:

Do any of you goons do something for sound dampening? That isn't giant-foam-triangle-stuff?

Have you tried area rugs?

For your office, sounds like there isn't any insulation in the ceiling, which isn't uncommon. Some simple foam tiles should help there.

Koskun
Apr 20, 2004

Tedronai66 posted:

aside from the kitchen/dining area, it's all carpet in the house. But it's 10-foot ceilings, which is probably why the noise bounces so much.

If we ever get around to hanging up the larger artwork stuff we have, im sure I could also hide foam along the walls behind that.

Ahh. Not knowing some specifics, it was a guess based on how so many modern buildings are going without carpet everywhere.

If you don't mind them, acoustic curtains should help. There is also Acousti-coat Paint. It isn't going to do the same as a tile, but reportedly it does help.

For your office, maybe give a few of these a try (though the cost could be a bit high for a "well, it might work") - ATS Acoustic Panel.

Koskun
Apr 20, 2004

excellent bird guy posted:

Rearranged from my floor setup. I'm really cramped for space. But the cool thing is I have the Wacom 16" on a stand so its a neat 3rd monitor to fit in. Great viewing angles. The freaking synth is on the floor. I ordered a padded folding chair to replace this horrible chair from the kitchen. I'm thinking of a second 6 foot table (this is 4') to give an L shaped work space. *edit: Oh and I have no room for my 2nd laptop to keep it within reach while at the battlestation. It sucks

One thing I'd consider would be a used office furniture store (if they are open during all this that is) if there is one around you. They often get stuff back from lease or when a buisness folds, and they can have quite a selection of good quality stuff for a fraction of the cost of new.

Koskun fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Jul 20, 2020

Koskun
Apr 20, 2004
I got a Steelcase Criterion for 60 or so bucks quite a few years ago. The thing has held up remarkably well.

I guess you could try Craigslist, but its been dying a slow death for a year at least now. Facebook Marketplace however would be another source to check out.

Koskun
Apr 20, 2004

KingKapalone posted:

Any desk buying tips? Should I just be browsing r/battlestations and looking for ones I like? I would like a longer one.

If you are looking for a large desktop to do with as you please, and if they are open during all this, check out Habitat Resale and Salvation Army store's. The ones around me constantly get in those huge executive and teacher desks. Granted they can be a bit used, but if you have the capability, some sand paper and fresh stain and/or finish can do wonders.

If they don't have a keyboard tray, a simple stair tread or riser with some glides can be had for 30-40 bucks (depending on the length you go with). Stain/finish it to match and you are golden.

Want a more open leg design, two of the three Habitat store's near me have a selection of legs you can choose from for example. You may have to buy your own screws, but that's literally pennies at any local hardware store.

I'd also do some searching to see if there are any used furniture store's around you. The two near-ish me (an hour away) have a huge selection of desk tops in their back room, along with legs. I took a friend of mine to one and he got a 4' x 2' desktop and pair of legs for less than 50 bucks out the door.

Koskun
Apr 20, 2004

KingKapalone posted:

I'm looking for an under desk PC mount to go with my standing desk that can fit my fat rear end Lian-Li 011 Dynamic. It's 10.7" wide and I've only seen ones that go up to 10" width. Any one else have one?

Not the prettiest, but it reports to supports a case of that size - 1home Economical CPU Holder Under-Desk.

Koskun
Apr 20, 2004

Roumba posted:

I recently moved and I now have the space/authority/$ to experiment compared to my old 550sqft bedroom/office setup:

Which was nice, but not 10+ hours-a-day-nice, because I'll be working from home until the sun explodes at this rate.

Are there any complexities to buying a clamp on multi-monitor stand? I've never used or bought one before. All I can think of is to make sure the mount dimensions match my monitor's (300x200mm, whatev.) and whether or not it needs to screw into my desk/wall vs. a friction fit? Is there a term or feature that has customizable preset locations for standing/sitting or movie/game positions? That would be a nice option.

Is there anything I should consider or avoid? I assume my 60"x30"x1" desk can handle whatever is out there, right?

You shouldn't have any issues with that desk and the weight of a monitor arm. The key things to look at are width to accommodate the monitors you want, and that it can support the weight of the monitors.

There are some that do clamp to the desktop, and those usually have some sort of non-slip mat in them, which also helps to not mar up the desktop surface. There are others that as skooma512 mentioned, bolt through a desk top. Some offer an option for both.

In my experience, something that actually attaches to the surface, whether it is a bolt through the desk, or screws into the desk surface (sometimes screw holes are there on clamp ones), are less prone to wobble than ones that just clamp on. I say this as I have 3 monitor's on 2 different types of arms. My center monitor is on what I was using for a dual setup, but since it's a 32" ultrawide it takes up the entire thing now. I got a couple of clamp on ones from a used computer store for the other two monitors, and while they are well built and clamp to the desk very well, they wobble if the desk is bumped. The center monitor takes a lot for it to move. This may be something you want to take note of if you plan on adjusting the desk height often.

Preset positions isn't something I've really heard of as an option on a monitor stand honestly. Mine are set and there they stay, but they make ones that allow you to move them rather freely on an arm or on the mounting point (the vesa mount), so that style might be what you want rather than a set arm type.

Some quick searching got me these two:
Vivo model
Mount-It model

Koskun
Apr 20, 2004
Take a look at secondhand stores around you. Goodwill, Habitat for Humanity, and the like often have cabinets in them. Bring a tape measure with you to check the height.

I'd also check if their are any used office furniture stores in your area. I've got two near me and they constantly have drawers, cabinets, and legs in stock.

Lastly I'd check Facebook marketplace.

Koskun
Apr 20, 2004

Diabetes Forecast posted:

So, keyboard/mouse trays: any good suggestions? I'm in dire need of a good one that I could potentially get both my mouse and keyboard onto, but finding any at all that aren't tiny has proven exceedingly difficult. I'd like to outright get a new desk but right now the only thing I'm looking at (The Fredde) is out of stock so I want to atleast buy the part I was gonna need anyway to mount to the current desk.

E: if there are any other desks with similiar structure/shelf space to the Fredde out there, i'd like to know about that too. my current desk has tons of shelf space and i'd hate to lose that. (mainly because i have nowhere to put all this extra equipment if I don't have shelves)

This can depend in how much/if you have a small work area and a decent store near you.

I made my keyboard tray out of a Stair Tread. They aren't the deepest in the world, but they are pretty much all smooth (might want to do a light sand) and have a nice rounded edge. Simply chose the stain and/or finish you want, and get some good Drawer Slide's like those if you wish to under mount.

A tip if you under-mount and have a height-adjustable chair. Sit the "tray" on the arm rests and then pop the chair to max height while under the desk. It will hold it there and let you drill the holes and screw it in.

If you can't cut one of those stair treads to length at home, most big stores will cut it for you for a nominal fee (usually a buck or so, if that if it isn't busy).

All in all you should only need a small power drill (less than 20 bucks at walmart or the like), and a screwdriver at a minimum. Add in some foam brushes or the like if you want to stain and/or finish it.

Koskun
Apr 20, 2004

Ok Comboomer posted:

Having looked at them in person, I’d recommend saving some cash and getting one without the drawers.

They are neither attractive nor sturdy enough to justify their presence, just add a cabinet underneath if you desperately need a place to keep pens, etc

Is this recommendation based off a floor model or one you have/saw at someone's house? If the floor model, don't do any basis for stability off what you see in the store. Way more often than not floor models are barely put together enough to stand upright. They are generally there for looks, nothing more.

If the latter, fair enough.

Koskun
Apr 20, 2004

CH Science posted:

Wonder how many *more* desks I can fit in this tiny office

A motorized desk on top of a motorized desk. Like one of those car lifts.

Koskun
Apr 20, 2004

El Mero Mero posted:

Is there a KVM that people like? I have a laptop, desktop, and two monitors and want to be able to toggle machines at a touch without needing multiple keyboards/mice.

So you are wanting something so you can use a single mouse and keyboard on multiple computers? Synergy is still around, but it's paid only now. Microsoft has Mouse without Borders for free, and works great.

Koskun
Apr 20, 2004

Trabant posted:

Hello thread. I don't really know where to ask this, but thought you might have opinions: can anyone recommend a decent under-desk keyboard tray? Ideally something that's about 26"+ wide and mounts from the underside rather than clamping on the front edge of the desk. Examples of what I'm considering are this and this.

I know these things aren't everyone cup of tea, but I had to embrace the two-monitor life and simply need to sit further back to make the new setup useful. About the only solution I can think of is a sliding tray.

Thanks in advance, and let me know if there's a better place to ask. Maybe the keyboard thread?

I've made my own on a few desks, and the result has lasted well over a decade now. I got a Stair Tread. Down side is they aren't that deep, usually just less than a foot and they have a nice rounded edge. Plus if you want, you can get fancy with the type, but Pine will be the cheapest.

Most any big-box store would be willing to cut it to length for you for a minimal cost (maybe free if it isn't busy).

A small drill, and you can mount it as is. If you want to stain or paint it, a sheet of plastic and an afternoon would accomplish that easy enough.

As to hardware, this is not what I got, but I found something just like it for, uhh, 1/3 that price. Keyboard Slide.

I didn't check Amazon because I didn't want to dig through all the listings. But for 30-40 bucks, you could have a nice solid wood keyboard tray.

Oh, a tip to install it if it is just you. If you have a pneumatic chair, put it across the arms, lower the chair, slide it in, then pop the chair up. It will be enough tension to hold it there while you mark the holes.

Koskun
Apr 20, 2004
In hindsight, I should of mentioned that two of the desks I did that to I raised in height by putting casters on (they are big desks and I wanted to make them easier to move). So when I put the tray under the top, it was at the "normal" desktop height.

I used to have a tray like what you pictured. It worked pretty well, and with some adjustment there are slide-out like in that picture that should go up when extended and be close to even with the desk top. Cheapest I saw with a quick google would be 60 or so US.

Maybe put some 2" casters on your desk, then the tray then would be at the right height? :eng101:

Koskun
Apr 20, 2004

Josh Lyman posted:

For a number of years, I've been using a tempered glass L desk, except I've just been using the 2 wings side by side to form sort of a long desk. The left side is for my personal dual monitor setup, and the right side is for dual monitor WFH. This photo is a bit outdated but gives a sense of the setup:

If you are willing to maybe do a bit of touch-up work (depending on how worked over it's been during it's life), I'd take a look at used desks. There aren't many that don't have a top that is removable somehow, and since you have the legs, wouldn't take too much to modify those legs to keep a wood top secure (metal drill bit and long screw really, or maybe a conduit clamp).

Something like an executive desk/old school desk might be just the size you are looking for, maybe bigger. A cheap saw would trim it to size rather easily (if you don't have the space/tools, a local lumberyard or hardware store would probably do it for cheap), and you can either touch up the edge, or just put the cut edge against the wall.

I'd also look and see if there are any used office equipment stores near/around you. I've got a couple not an hour drive away from me, and they have a small warehouse full of desktops of all sizes. They go from 40 on up, depending on size.

This is if you can transport something 3'x6' that is. Even if you can't, a place like Menards rents out trucks for something like 20 bucks for an hour and a half I think it is. All in it would still be cheaper than something from Ikea or a Butcherblock.

One thing I would do is see if you can find something close to the weight limit for those legs. Those desks weren't ever made to the highest of standards, so adding a wood top, plus all the equipment... It shouldn't be an issue, but might be something to look at.

E - Another thing, maybe a bit outside the box, to look at would be a used kitchen counter top. A remodeling salvage place or if you have a Habitat Resale Store near you. I've a friend that used an old kitchen counter top for his desktop, just had to remove the backsplash. It ended up looking really slick (it had a fake granite top on it). Durable as all hell too, and easy to clean.

Koskun fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Mar 1, 2022

Koskun
Apr 20, 2004
Some years ago I snagged a couple of executive desks. They are 6' x 3'. Back in the CRT days the depth was perfect because of how large those monitors were. Now with how thin modern LCD monitors are it wouldn't work. I cut the back off of mine so it's only 2' deep, and with monitor arms, it's the perfect distance away. I also have a keyboard tray (I added casters to the desks, so the tray is the right height rather than having to reach up to the desk top).

As to width, I have 3 monitors on this thing. Middle is a 32" ultrawide, with a 27" on each side, the left one is vertical. That pretty much takes up the entire width of the desk. I have my tower mounted under the desktop. If I didn't have all 3 monitors on arms I would have maybe 12" deep of desktop space.

The space can and will get used up quicker than you might think.

Koskun
Apr 20, 2004

The Lord Bude posted:

Personally I like to keep monitors about an arm and a half length from my face. It’s better for my eyes and it’s more comfy with the big monitors we all have now. So 3’ sounds about right for depth of a desk.

Which they are, with the keyboard tray that is. That pushes me back from the edge of the desk a foot.

Koskun
Apr 20, 2004

The Lord Bude posted:

Oh right. I’ve never liked keyboard trays so I end up much closer to the desk.

I might want to clarify this a bit. It is more a keyboard shelf and not one of those sliding plastic or metal trays.

Once I put the casters on the desktop height was uncomfortable, add on that when I got the desk I had a Trinitron CRT. Even a 3' deep desk didn't leave much room with that monitor on it. My dad had a leftover stair tread that was about 8' long and just about a foot deep. I cut it in half (I have two of these desks), stained it to match the desk color, then got a set of heavy duty drawer slides and mounted it. Thing has held up incredibly well going on 15 plus years now.

Koskun
Apr 20, 2004

Unsinkabear posted:

Alright, fair. The more I look at it the more I agree. I'm just very hesitant to buy large pieces, because I've always lived in small spaces and don't like to limit my ability to fit into the next one. I've already hosed myself enough by getting accustomed to a king bed. :negative:

Two follow-up questions, then:
  1. The 72" model with drawers is currently cheaper than the one without, am I correct in assuming it's the same poo poo and I can just get that one and leave the drawers off?
  2. Also, how are you guys doing cable management on these things when they're so drat open?

1 - One thing you could do to get a bit of an idea on how much more space a 72" desktop would be, cut some cardboard and tape it to your existing desk. One piece that is 10" x 25" or two 25" x 5". It wouldn't be perfect, but will give you an idea physically how much more space it would take.

2- Cable management on open desks like that is pretty broad, but there are two or three major styles.

The first are essentially baskets that you screw in to the bottom of the desk. You can bundle your excess cable in them, hold a power brick, hold a surge protector, and then route the main power cable down the legs.

Next would be a full bracket style. These come in a bunch of different sizes.

The third would be to use cable holders and attach excess cable, bundled up, to them, and then double stick tape/velcro power bricks and surge protectors to the bottom of the desk. Not as pretty, and more prone to something falling if the tape gives.

Alternatively, if you have a small set of tools, make a little shelf, either hanging down (easy to do with basic hardware), or a simple L shape facing towards the back of the desk so you don't really see much of anything. Could even toss in a few small shelf brackets to add strength. Even if you don't have much more than a screwdriver and drill around, most big box stores will cut lumber for a very nominal fee.

If you really want to hide all errant cables, they make stick on clips (or you can screw them on if you want) to hold and guide cables. These were just the first ones I found on Amazon, but they make a bunch of varieties.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koskun
Apr 20, 2004

Verisimilidude posted:

Anyone have a guide on how to make a good corner desk from ikea countertops? Thinking of upgrading my office but could use some furniture suggestions.

Can use the filing cabinets. Downside is you practically have to double-side tape them down, as I don't think they have any attachment points for the desktop.

Depending on how long the individual desktops will be, you will probably want something in the middle of each, and even at the join point, to help prevent bowing. Search around to see if you have a used office furniture store near. They should have desk legs sitting around for sale for relatively cheap (one near me asks 15-20 bucks a leg). You can use them to shore up the desk with just some screws. Then you can slide some filing cabinets underneath.

If you really want to make sure the two desktops line up, a pack of something like these under desk clamps will do the trick. No matter what you do, there will be some difference in the heights, which mostly will come from your floor. I would not recommend connecting the desktops together until they are on their feet/cabinets. There is no way you could flip an L desk without ripping those connectors apart.

Alternatively, if you have a spare 1x6" laying around, that would do just as well (and could be stained/painted to match).