Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spike McAwesome
Jun 18, 2004

Zombies? Or middle-management? I can't tell...
Nothing too crazy, I guess:

My wife's laptop along with my desktop, plus a Nighthawks print and Bobby Orr's flying goal.

Oh, and I'll never do a glass desk again. Not only can I not hide the cables like I want, but it gets unbelievably dirty, from dust and fingerprints and whatnot. I hate it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spike McAwesome
Jun 18, 2004

I don't know about anyone else, but I'm part curious/part horrified to see the results if this thread were moved to GBS.

Spike McAwesome
Jun 18, 2004

I don't have a current picture of my setup, and I'm moving soon.

I nominate nex.

Spike McAwesome
Jun 18, 2004

Glass desks are the worst invention in the history of mankind. Anyone who buys one gets what they deserve. In fact, I hated mine so much, I left it behind when I moved (well that, and I didn't have the time/truck space to get it out of there).

Spike McAwesome
Jun 18, 2004

Just made my first Ikea purchase and grabbed this Galant desk. I really had to hope that everything fit right/wasn't broken since it's a nine hour round-trip drive to get there. However, this desk is sturdy as poo poo and so far works well. As for the other stuff:

1. A 7-port USB hub with on/off switches
2. A piece of poo poo HP laptop that I hate - fortunately, tax return should be big enough that I can buy a desktop rig and maybe put some effort into hiding these wires.
3. Logitech headphones w/mic on a banana hammock.
4. Some old 1TB external drive I got a while back.
5. Ikea Grono lamps. I got two sets of two (since the set is one big, one small). These are the two small ones, and the big ones are in the bedroom.

Spike McAwesome
Jun 18, 2004

LunaSky posted:

To the fellow Goons that have the Galant desk from IKEA: Did the boxes they were in fit in your vehicle easily? I dont want to drive an hour and a half each way for a desk that wont fit in my PT Cruiser. Thanks!

Will post pics when I quit living like poo poo!

Correct answer: Stop driving a PT Cruiser
Kidding, I have one too:

I don't know where everyone lives, but for those of us in cities without Ikea stores, check Google for "(City name) Ikea Delivery". You should find some information if there's a company in your area that will deliver.

For example, the ever popular Galant left-corner desk runs for $160. I live in Las Vegas, and the closest store to me is about four hours away in southern California.

Delivery from Ikea: $349
Gas to get there and back: $170 (to be fair, it was my buddy's V8 pick-up, so "gas conservation" really means not spilling any at the pump)
Delivery from ModernLV.com: 29% of $160, or $46 and change. (Edit: That's the price to get it to Vegas. Home delivery is another $20, set up is $35 and both are optional. Even if you opted for both, it's still about half the price of driving there and back and setting it up yourself.)

Spike McAwesome fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Mar 9, 2011

Spike McAwesome
Jun 18, 2004

gregday posted:

Well gently caress. I really want an IKEA JONAS desk but I'm not driving to Atlanta (nearest store) to get one and I really don't want to pay $299 in shipping for a $129 desk.

If anyone lives near an IKEA and wants to make a little money helping me out, PM me and we'll talk.

There are companies that exist that do Ikea delivery. There's ModernLV.com here in Vegas. There might be something like that in your area.

Spike McAwesome
Jun 18, 2004

I suppose this is a good a place as any to ask this:

I'm moving at the end of the month and I'm wondering where I should put my desk for a gaming desktop. Here's the floorplan of my new place:

The black arrow is pointing to a built-in desk. The red arrow is where I originally wanted to put my desk (Ikea Galant), and the blue arrow is another option. Am I being neurotic for thinking this way:

- I don't want to put my computer on the built-in desk. I'd rather use that for bills and for studying when I start grad school in the fall.
- I worry that by putting it in the living room (red arrow), it'll take up too much space in the room and make some of the breakfast bar unusable.
- But I don't really want to put it in the bedroom (blue arrow) since that seems too teenager-living-at-home to me.

Spike McAwesome
Jun 18, 2004

blackmanjew posted:

On more of a serious note, couldn't you angle the galant in the right hand corner of the living room by the patio?

I could, but I had planned on doing the TV there with the couch on the short wall directly across from it. Not a bad suggestion though... I could move the TV and such into the bedroom.

FISHMANPET posted:

Do you have a laptop (for built in desk studying)?

Aye, I do. My laptop is what I use 90% of the time. The desktop would be just for gaming. Though at this point, maybe it's time to retire the desktop, sell the Galant, and just downsize. It's not like I'll have time to do any serious gaming when school starts, and if I get the bug to sink a lot of time into a game, I can fire up the 360 for something other than Netflix.

Hm... Something to think about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spike McAwesome
Jun 18, 2004

Ahaha holy poo poo. I really didn't expect this conversation to continue on for so long. I'm just being neurotic because I've never lived completely and totally on my own before - either I've had roommates or live-in girlfriends. And I've never had to contend with a one bedroom before - normally I'd just get a 2bd apartment, turn the second bedroom into an office, and not think twice about it.

Now I'm a little torn. I was being kinda crazy about the negative perceptions when putting it in the bedroom, but that's something I can live with. On the other hand, if I connect it to the TV and do everything there, that would save a lot of space and allow me to sell the desk for a couple of bucks.

Sudden Infant Def Syndrome posted:

Did you buy the house? You could remove the built in desk, and rebuild something that suit you better.

It's just a rental, unfortunately.

Fatal posted:

What about the opposite of the current dinning room arrow?

That's where the poker table is going.

And for content - My desk at work. This was completely cleaned off and the in/out boxes were empty. Then I went on vacation for two weeks. I came back to this: