Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

IGNORE ME! I'M JUST AN OLD WET RAG
Getting rid of a 7-yr-old particleboard "computer desk" and replacing it with this old teacher's desk. Bought it today, having it delivered tomorrow. Surface is 60"X34", which is ample for the laptop and phone which will be its only permanent residents.

edit: real-wood snype.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

Fancy-looking wooden laptop stands are what moms and Xmas catalogs were made for.

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

Tore out the old L-shaped particle board computer desk and hutch, packed/discarded a lot of stuff from the home office, and moved in an old desk and a new (to me) desk to reconfigure the room.

Back (behind me in the first photo) table has a couple of PCs under it and a work laptop. The new walnut desk has the Macbook Pro and modestly-sixed Dell LCD. Can't decide whether to ditch the wired keyboard and go all-bluetooth on the new desk.

The old MacBook Pro across the room has been repurposed as a dedicated iTunes server. I don't watch a lot of TV, so the little one next to it suffices for news, etc.

There's a bit of a white balance problem in some of the shots. The walls aren't green!

Click here for the full 1000x750 image.

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

Collateral Damage posted:

Click here for the full 1024x768 image.

24w" + 19", main screen is wall mounted so I can slide the keyboard in underneath if I need some space. Cables are gathered in an IKEA cable tray underneath the table. (Not that it helps the clutter up top).

What speaker stands/mounts are those? They look great.

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

notro man posted:

I think a camera will be the next thing I buy. Tired of taking pictures with my cell phone.

Looks great! Also nice to see someone else bucking the trend of putting the PC case on top of the desk, instead of under it.

KingOMtDew posted:

Desk, with craptastic homemade shelf holding printer and radios. Computer is the big, shiny toolbox.

Although if you have to put the PC on the desk, that's a cool way to do it.

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

And a knife, and a Matrix screensaver!

:golfclap:

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

Gimrigz posted:

Quality pics is for the cool kids =(

Click here for the full 1280x960 image.

Quality of photos aside, that's a very nice layout!

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

tyrelhill posted:

Where can i get one of those large pads?

http://www.amazon.com/Glorious-Extended-Gaming-Mouse-Mat/dp/B00J2EF4K6/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1430231437&sr=8-3&keywords=xxl+mouse+pad

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

P.D.B. Fishsticks posted:

Does anybody know where I could buy the little surface wire doors/compartments you often see on conference room tables?

I'd love to know this too.

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

Uxzuigal posted:

My throne.. (wife actualy lets me have this in the living room!) Got Dali Opticon 8's (speakers) for christmas from wife (no, she is not for sale, and she cannot be cloned), waiting for a NAD C275 to add in bridge mode with the NAD C375 Integrated amp here...

Doesn't belong in a living room.

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

go3 posted:

They have their own thread. Don't summon them.

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

Josh Lyman posted:

That doesn't seem thermally optimal for the MacBook.

It's fine. I've had one of those for over a year with no issue.

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

Don't storage-shame, space-havers.

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

Very nice looking!

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

I had hoped to build a second workspace (next to my sit/stand desk) with an IKEA Gerton top and a couple of Alex drawer units, but the Alexes are back ordered. I received the top. Can anyone suggest an alternative in the 27" tall and narrow category? I don't need all the drawers but some would be nice.

No pics of the current setup since I've just moved in and the "office" is the place where everything is piled up to stage as I unpack into other rooms.

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

Thanks, but I'm not doing any indoor shopping these days, especially second-hand. I wish I could! Stuck with online or contact free stuff (I'm watching my local Buy Nothing group closely).

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

Wasabi the J posted:

There's lots of kits online to add a musical keyboard tray under your desk and they're not that expensive.

Do you have one you recommend?

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

Granite Octopus posted:

Receiver: Denon RCD-M41DAB
I wanted a little mini receiver with DAB + CD that didn't look hideous or come with crap speakers. Yamaha have some nice retro-looking models but they're sold out everywhere, so this was the runner-up. Works really well. My only complaint is the CD transport is a bit noisy.

I really like the idea of this, and would love to have a mini CD player/receiver on my desk that isn't just a USB drive for a PC. I don't want to pay Denon prices. Are there any units that occupy the middle between this Denon and a $50 Magnavox? The key attraction is the super-compact footprint, otherwise I'd just get a $30 Blu Ray player.

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

RIP Paul Walker posted:

I've bought two of these on the used market for $50 or less, they're out there and generally cheap. I've had one each, Onkyo and Denon.

Thanks- do you happen to remember the Onkyo model?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

Charles Leclerc posted:

Ah yeah, that other thing about Windows 11...

https://www.windowscentral.com/microsoft-explains-why-you-cant-move-windows-11-taskbar

People on the internet were/are very mad about it.

The Venn diagram of people complaining about this and people blocking telemetry is a circle. Witness:

”Some MS PM” posted:

She continued, citing the fact that the feature is not in high demand.

"And when you look at the data, while we know there is a set of people that love it that way and, like, really appreciate it, we also recognize that this set of users is really small compared to the set of other folks that are asking for other features. So, at the moment, we are continuing to focus on things that I hear more pain around."

The ability to be able to move the Taskbar is one of the most-requested features in the Feedback Hub, so Roth's claim is likely based on telemetry gathered by Microsoft or other data.