Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

First cousin to the Black Rabbit himself. Such was Woundwort's monument...and perhaps it would not have displeased him.<

Really there are only two interesting things going on here:
1) My Macbook Pro is sitting on top of a plastic in/out tray, because it kept overheating like crazy when I laid it flat (plus this puts it perfectly even with my monitor). This seems to help a lot. Why does it overheat when I lay it flat? I do not know, but it got hot enough to smell funny.

2) My Ripper XL huge-rear end mousepad, 14x18. On dual screens in Photoshop it's easy to run out of mousepad, so I went for the biggest one I could find. I know there's a Dilbert cartoon in there somewhere (found it), I don't care. This thing's badass.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

First cousin to the Black Rabbit himself. Such was Woundwort's monument...and perhaps it would not have displeased him.<
Had it about six months, the only (very slight) wear on it is where the heel of my hand rests. I couldn't find any cheaper than around $17.

What would be nice is if you could find mousepad in bulk rolls, like they come out of the factory. Per square foot they'd be cheaper, and you could cut it into any shape you want. But I never found anything like that, and I guess if you could find it you'd have to buy 100 feet at a time or something impractical like that.

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

tehk posted:

I picked up a few new peripherals now that I am unable to cycle till the end of spring and I have time to play games again.

I love your bigass wood desk, and the next time I'm in the market for one I think I've got a good idea. There's a store in my town (called Re-Store - it's a Habitat For Humanity spinoff but I don't know how common they are) that sells donated home and office building supplies. Someone tears down a building, maybe they give these guys all the doorknobs, or windows, or salvageable floor tiles or something. And along one wall they had this big collection of...doors. They had a few that were built like the image below, except with a larger window, and with a mesh screen inside. Like an office door in a prison or something.

Take one of those (I think they were around $50), sand it down and stain/varnish it, rig up some LEDs to light the window from underneath, and run your cables through the doorknob/deadbolt holes in the back. The more heavily used and hosed up looking, the better. Anyway, that's my plan...someday.

EvilMuppet posted:

Mine's bigger *cough*
That's awesome.

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

Solution: crumb-colored mousepad.

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

civilian.d posted:

i use my apple keyboard with both my Macbook Pro and with my PC. I have the wired one (see my pic up about a dozen posts) because I can't live w/out number pad, too much number crunchin'.
I love my Mac keyboard so much, but it never occurred to me that I could use one on my PC. Are there any caveats to doing that, besides losing the "Windows" key? God, if I could map my Command key to be my Control key (in Windows), you might make my day here.