Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

concise
Aug 31, 2004

Ain't much to do
'round here.

I went out and bought a Jerker off craigslist last week and here it is all set up. I have some powerstrips ziptied to the back crossbar and a switch ziptied to the left leg. Most of my cabling is wrapped around the legs or the crossbar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

concise
Aug 31, 2004

Ain't much to do
'round here.

qlat posted:

Is that the original fabled Jerker? I've been looking at furniture on Craigslist and have come across a few similar looking desks, though they weren't labled as Ikea or Jerker.

Why yes it is, there were two up in the Seattle area within a couple days of each other, and I grabbed one of them. I'm really diggin the center cutout. All I did was search for 'jerker' and a couple popped up.

concise
Aug 31, 2004

Ain't much to do
'round here.

Empty Pockets posted:

I've decided that it's time to stop living like poo poo. What can I do for a cable tray? Lifehacker swears by this cable tray from IKEA

http://lifehacker.com/software/workspaces/hack-attack-the-cordless-workspace-sort-of-179911.php

but it's non-existent now. What's a good alternative?

I bought two of those cable trays at the Seattle area Ikea about three weeks ago. Just call up a store and ask if they have any SIGNUM Horizontal Cable Management desk addons, they might still have some in stock.

concise
Aug 31, 2004

Ain't much to do
'round here.

Dobermaniac posted:

We fit two tabletops, 4 legs, and two underbars in my wife Corolla with room to spare. Shouldn't need a big car at all.

That is quite a lot :ohdear:

concise
Aug 31, 2004

Ain't much to do
'round here.

mrk posted:

I picked up a Dell 13z not long ago, amazing stuff:

This is extremely elegant. What are you using to mount your monitor?

concise
Aug 31, 2004

Ain't much to do
'round here.

Photex posted:

:ohdear: Is your computer on fire??

concise
Aug 31, 2004

Ain't much to do
'round here.

Photex posted:

How could you tell I had an AMD?

Is that where the bright orange glow is coming from? Phew, thats normal then.

concise
Aug 31, 2004

Ain't much to do
'round here.

strayan posted:

I've just bought a $10 keyboard. It sucks. Is is that keyboard worth the money you paid for it?

Mechanical keyboards are worth every penny and Filco's are great. You should read up on the different types of Cherry switches to figure out what you're looking for. I personally prefer brown switches since they don't click when you depress the keys, making them slightly quieter than the blue type.

concise
Aug 31, 2004

Ain't much to do
'round here.

McFunkerson posted:

Got myself a new desk, improved my cable management a bit and I am now quite happy with my home office set up :)

Is the apple the only light in your room besides the monitors and iPad?

concise
Aug 31, 2004

Ain't much to do
'round here.

Thermopyle posted:

This is exactly what it does. Depending on the material, it will even wear it away or puncture it over time.

I just lie my headphones on the desk now.

I was concerned about that too so I cut the hook off, bent it to a more suitable shape, and reattached it. It looks janky, but it works a lot better.

concise
Aug 31, 2004

Ain't much to do
'round here.

Kmlkmljkl posted:

what's that black thingy in front of your keyboard?

https://www.leapmotion.com/

concise
Aug 31, 2004

Ain't much to do
'round here.

Don Lapre posted:

Customer gave me a $400 monitor arm they were getting rid of. this thing is incredible.

Nice, what monitor is that?

concise
Aug 31, 2004

Ain't much to do
'round here.

She's not for sale either.

concise
Aug 31, 2004

Ain't much to do
'round here.

Put my new desk together tonight:

Components:
http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/90252908/#/30252906
http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/60274964/#/20274961

I chose to set the frame 1" back from perfect center so that the front of the legs would sit slightly behind the front of the desk. This also gives me a bit of room to run cables and such between the desk and the wall.

From start to finish it took about two hours to take measurements, plan the layout, line everything up, mark the holes, drill, and mount.

All necessary hardware is included, but I'm planning to get some extra brackets to secure the frame a little better. The method the standard Bekant desk top uses is a plastic rivet thing which cannot expand into the hard wood. The press fit those give when half assembled is sturdy enough, so long as you don't lift up from the wood portion or torque the legs.

Overall I'm extremely happy with how it turned out. The solid wood countertop feels a lot nicer than the standard particle board crap and didn't really cost that much extra to get. It needs some sanding then a few coats of oil to finish the surface but otherwise it's ready to go.

concise fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Jan 19, 2016

concise
Aug 31, 2004

Ain't much to do
'round here.

dedian posted:

Nice! Been thinking of something just like this look. How is the finish on the top? Maybe it'll depend on the particular top I get, but did you need to do any sanding/refinishing?

I can feel some very slight roughness that some finer grit sandpaper would fix, but if you're lazy like I am right now its just fine as is right out of the box. Once I get the rest of the office put together a little better I plan to go over it with a sander and a couple coats of tung oil or something.

The Milkman posted:

Could you elaborate on how you mounted that? I went with a standard Bekant top when I put mine together, but that what my exact idea if I scuff it up enough or just want to upgrade.

The dimensions of the countertop are 74" x 25 5/8", and the main frame piece is 57 1/2" x 18 1/8". That means that a perfectly centered frame is (25 5/8 - 18 1/8) / 2 = 3 3/4" up from the narrow edge and (74 - 57 1/2) / 2 = 8 1/4" in from the long edge. Because the width of the legs is ~26" (i.e. 3/8" wider than the countertop), I offset the frame 1" up so that I would never trip on them.

Next, I measured 4 3/4" up and 8 1/4" in from an edge and marked a point on each side. This served as a way to align the frame at the spot I wanted it. Verify that the marks are in the right spot a by measuring and remeasuring a few times, then place the frame such that the corners line up with the marks. Verify by measuring and remeasuring a few times that everything is positioned correctly (8 1/4" from the short edges of the countertop, 4 3/4" from the front edge, and 2 3/4" from the rear edge). Now put a sharpie or awl into each of the 6 holes and mark where the hole is, being extremely careful not to move the frame.

Now get one of the plastic rivet doodads and find a drill bit that is slightly smaller than the full diameter (including the thread things) of part of the rivet that goes into the mount point. Next hold the rivet from the end of the drill bit and mark with painter's the depth of the rivet. This gives you a good indication of when to stop drilling. Drill out all six marks that you made.

Attach the legs if they aren't already, then put the frame approximately where it will go in the room. The countertop is fairly heavy so now is a good time to adjust the height, taking the depth of the top into account. Place the top on the frame, put a rivet in each of the holes, and pound them in with a rubber mallet or whatever is handy.

Without additional brackets the countertop won't be fully secured to the frame, but I'm skipping them since I won't be moving the desk around a bunch. Just don't lift the desk by the surface and it should be fine.

I wish I had something like this in college. Its sturdy as hell yet comes apart in minutes if you try. 6 rivet things, two bolts, and 4 pieces. Easy.

concise
Aug 31, 2004

Ain't much to do
'round here.

Google Butt posted:

Don't use tung oil unless you're prepared to let it sit and cure for at least a week.. That goes for any finish really. Went through this with my bamboo desk I posted previously. Ending up going with arm r seal satin.

Thanks for the heads up. Looks like I won't be doing anything with it for a while. The roughness has already mostly worn away where I rest my arms anyway.

concise
Aug 31, 2004

Ain't much to do
'round here.

Looks great, nice job.

concise
Aug 31, 2004

Ain't much to do
'round here.

The Lord Bude posted:

If you buy stuff that lasts too long it gets harder to justify replacing it when you get bored, or when something better comes along.

Yeah I hate it when my stuff doesn't break fast enough.

concise
Aug 31, 2004

Ain't much to do
'round here.

Dust intake is far worse when a tower is on the ground.

concise
Aug 31, 2004

Ain't much to do
'round here.

VostokProgram posted:

Are you linus torvalds

Asking the real questions

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

concise
Aug 31, 2004

Ain't much to do