Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sudden Infant Def Syndrome
Oct 2, 2004

I love those thin little Mac keyboards. Are they PC compatible or does Logitech or someone make something similar?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oct 2, 2004

Ooh I really want that Logitech one, but $90 is outside my snack bracket. :(

Maybe it'll come on sale sometime.

Oct 2, 2004

I am working on finishing up a desk I built from parts at Ikea. I'll have to get some pics when it's done.

I got an 8 foot section of countertop for $40, two legs for $5 each, and one of those cable holder things for $20. $70 for a huge desk is pretty cheap.

The back is attached to the wall via 2x4, and the front is just held up with the two legs. It's nice going from a small corner unit to this monstrosity.

I just need to get some storage for all the stuff I have. Even small things like SD cards and USB wires and random computer stuff need somewhere to go. Does anyone have suggestions for nice looking storage solutions? I'd like something with lots of drawers and cubbies and stuff. It can go on the desk, or below it, doesn't matter to me.

Oct 2, 2004

How is reading comics on it? I thought the screen would be far too small. I have a Kobo, which I tried using to read comics, and you have to scroll in every direction to keep the text at a legible size. It's not worth it.

Oct 2, 2004

HollowYears posted:

Long story short, I'm moving soon and would like a corner desk.

Any recommendations?

Not a single person has recommended the Ikea Gallant desk. At all. Ever.

Oct 2, 2004

Did you buy the house? You could remove the built in desk, and rebuild something that suit you better.

Oct 2, 2004

I love the curtains and blinds. Maybe he lives with his grandma.

Oct 2, 2004

front wing flexing posted:

You can just screw the pipes in to what ever depth you need to level out. It's probably on of the most adjustable desks you can get. You could probably level that out on a 1% grade.

I thought he's asking about stopping the desk from tiliting; keeping the legs at 90 degrees.

Another piece of pipe between the back two legs would stop that.

Oct 2, 2004

McOgre posted:

Yeah, I have a laptop paired with a monitor. I can't imagine that's very common.

It's probably a lot more common than you think.

My work setup is exactly the same. I have a 27" Dell Ultrasharp connected to my laptop for everyday use. I plug in a mouse and keyboard though. If I need to head out somewhere, I just disconnect my USB hub, VGA cable, and network line, and I'm good to travel.

It helps to have two power supplies for a laptop. One of mine is wrapped up in the desk so I don't have to go under and plug it in all the time.

Oct 2, 2004

glompix posted:

That's a really weird thing to yell, unless you're planning to do some serious(ly goony) gaming. Every developer and IT guy where I work has the same setup, though most don't even use the laptop screen anymore. Think about it as docking your laptop. In fact, a dock might be a good investment. It makes coming and going at work pretty easy.

I honestly only use my laptop screen for Outlook and sometimes testing web coding, as it helps to code UIs to work with the laptop screen, as no-one else I make the apps for at my work has a 2560x1440 resolution.

Oct 2, 2004

GreatGreen posted:

Why doesn't everybody just get 3 monitors! Tons of extra space, and no middle bezel to worry about!

:20bux::20bux::20bux::20bux::20bux::20bux::20bux:

Then it's not tall enough. You really need at least six monitors.

:20bux::20bux::20bux:
:20bux::20bux::20bux:

Oct 2, 2004

Factory Factory posted:

Where some people keep a bottle of lotion and a box of tissues, you've got a can of Break Free CLP.

Are you a robot?

Judging by his wallpaper, it's probably to clean guns.

Oct 2, 2004

With two of those hanger bars from Amazon, could you not just put washers on the bolts and put them through the wire into the monitor? Or buy some flatbar from Home Depot, and cut it to length and drill two holes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oct 2, 2004

Elderbean posted:

I'm curious too. Has anyone else used a countertop as a desk? I like the trestles too.

My desk is a countertop from Ikea. It looks really nice.
http://www.ikea.com/ca/en/catalog/products/70124083/

I have it attached to a 2x4 at the back that is mounted to the wall, and two black legs also from Ikea.

I found the counter in the 'bang & dent' section with a scratch on it for $40, and the legs are (I think) $5 each.

It's a nice 8' desk for about $50. You'll need to spend more if you want drawers and such. I put two short filing cabinets under it I got from work for free.