Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brain Issues
Dec 16, 2004

lol

I don't even know where to begin with all of these wires.

edit: Dale Earnhardt is strictly for ironic purposes, I promise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brain Issues
Dec 16, 2004

lol
Excuse my phone camera pictures

Dual cheap monitors on a dual monitor mount. JBL LSR305s powered by Audioengine D1

Corsair 350d, 4790K, GTX 770, 840 Evo. Covered in dust.

Dust gore.

I've gone through probably 10 different audio setups in the last 6 months. I started with Emotiva Airmotiv 5's and a Schiit Modi/Schiit Sys. Then I sold the Sys and bought a Magni 2 Uber and HD600s. Then I returned the Emotivas because there was a rattle in one of the speakers. Then I bought Micca PB42X. Then I sold the Modi and bought an Emotiva XDA-2. Then I brought the Miccas to work and bought JBL LSR305s. Then I sold the Magni 2 Uber. Then I moved the XDA-2 into another stereo setup as a DAC/Preamp. Then I sold my HD600s. Then I bought an Audioengine D1.

The crown jewel. Steelcase Leap. Got it for free.

Brain Issues fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Sep 27, 2015

Brain Issues
Dec 16, 2004

lol

Wibla posted:

Holy mother of audio setups. I've used the same Tannoy Sensys DC1/ Pioneer VSX-1015 combo for the last nine years and haven't really felt the need to do anything to it.

Going to swap to an adjustable desk shortly, may have to change things up then, or get stands for the speakers. They're not exactly small.

Yeah.. I'm a mess. I have 3 different audio setups in my house so I'm constantly messing around with them. I have my desktop which right now is JBL LSR305S and Audioengine D1. Then I have my 5.1 home theatre (Klipsch RB-61ii, RC-52ii, Polk Monitor 40 surrounds, PSW505 sub. Then my stereo listening room upstairs with Tekton Lore v2.0 towers and other things.

Just yesterday I sold my Polk Monitor 70 towers and bought the Klipsch RB-61ii from craigslist for $180.

Brain Issues
Dec 16, 2004

lol
I'll post a pic in maybe a couple weeks once my basement is finished, but I just got an 80x30 Uplift Desk and I have to say my initial impressions are very good.

Brain Issues
Dec 16, 2004

lol

Pr0kjayhawk posted:

drat! I thought this was going to be the smart alternative for me but it only goes up to 42". That seems too low for most, right? The uplift desk goes up to 50" (at 3x the cost).

Did you accidentally find your way into this thread or did you seek it out?

42" would be too low for many people I think.

I'm only 5'10" and the perfect standing desk height for me is 43". I have the Uplift Commercial C frame.

Brain Issues
Dec 16, 2004

lol
Almost got it set up finally.... Need 2 longer ethernet cables to clean up the cable loom on the floor and that red one on the left.

This is the 80x30 Uplift desk.

Brain Issues fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Jul 26, 2020

Brain Issues
Dec 16, 2004

lol

Got it all set up finally!

Machines:
2019 16" MBP i7 // 2018 Mac Mini i5 // 2020 iPad Pro 11"
Synology DS1618+ // Synology DX517 Expansion

Monitor:
LG 34" 3440x1440

Audio:
Micca PB42x // Audioengine D1 Dac

Input:
Logitech MX Keys // Logitech MX Master 2 // Apple Magic Trackpad 2

Docks:
Startech Thunderbolt 3 Dock // Dell WD15 USB-C

Desk:
Uplift Desks 80"x30" Bamboo

Chair:
Steelcase Leap v2

Brain Issues fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Aug 14, 2020

Brain Issues
Dec 16, 2004

lol

Oxyclean posted:

Nice setup!

Speaking of standing desks, I'm currently looking into getting a sit-stand (partially because low-adjust desks are really rare otherwise) but I'm a bit curious about how to deal with cord management. I would prefer to avoid putting the PC on the desk, but I feel like that's going to leave me with a lot of cords that have to deal with the desk raising and lowering.

I've never used a USB hub before - my current keyboard has a USB passthrough, but takes up two USB on the back of my PC in turn. Do USB hubs have drawbacks if they're passing multiple USB back into a single port? Assuming I can just put a hub with a long enough cord on the desk and just plug most of stuff into that, that might avoid any hassles about cord movement when the desk raises and lowers. (Though I'll certainly have cord spaghetti behind my monitors)

So cable management is pretty easy - if you look below my desk I have a battery backup & a small loom of cables. Theres only 5 cables that leave my desk & go through the loom - 2 power cables (for 2 power strips, these go to the battery backup), and 3 ethernet cables.

You get a cable management tray that attaches to the bottom of the desk and you can just shove all your power strips and other cables in there.

If you have less equipment than me or also don't use ethernet cables, you could just run 1 single power cable from the desk to the outlet, making sure you just leave enough slack to allow for standing height.

Brain Issues
Dec 16, 2004

lol

Ok Comboomer posted:

Yeah, literally every example of CR’s I’ve seen either from somebody I know in real life or heard about from goons died within about 2 years. Hard to get better sound and features for the money tho.

The Micca PB42X are pretty solid and cheap. I've had mine for nearly 5 years now and they're still working and sounding great.

Brain Issues
Dec 16, 2004

lol

Yeast posted:

Eventually I think I'll get a single 32" display, and maybe replace the hue play things with a single light strip.

But for now its working pretty well.

Teach us how to not be poor.

Brain Issues
Dec 16, 2004

lol

Withnail posted:

I'm legit getting depressed where this thread is going

honestly the goon neckbeard meme has crossed over from meme and into something people here seem to strive for

Brain Issues
Dec 16, 2004

lol

SkyeAuroline posted:

I know an electrician who couldn't be assed to replace their tower's power button and rigged it up to effectively hotwire the PC to start it every time.

Budgets of $0 breed strange behavior.

all you're doing is shorting 2 pins on the mobo with that power button, you can start your computer with a flat head screw driver if you want

Brain Issues
Dec 16, 2004

lol
80x30 Uplift desk here. No ragrets.

Brain Issues fucked around with this message at 13:43 on Aug 31, 2022

Brain Issues
Dec 16, 2004

lol

Ok Comboomer posted:

what’s in the fridge

hipster new england IPAs

Brain Issues
Dec 16, 2004

lol

Unsinkabear posted:

Also, how are you guys doing cable management on these things when they're so drat open?

The only way to really do it is to tuck the power splitters and surge protectors neatly underneath.

Then run your 1 AC cable to mains, and any Ethernet cables you need, with enough slack that the desk can raise up and down freely. Just do this part with the desk set to maximum height.

I put my external running wires (1 AC cable, 3 Ethernet cables) in a nylon tech flex sheathing to both prevent snagging on anything when raising and lowering, and to clean up the appearance as my Ethernet cables have to run a long distance to an opposite wall.

A cable management channel is not optional with a standing desk.

Brain Issues
Dec 16, 2004

lol

Johnny Truant posted:

drat, that's a sweet setup. Really digging that orange colour, might have to think about doing my office in a similar fashion...

Thanks! It's definitely vibrant, and I'm sure it's not everyones cup of tea. Orange is my favorite color though and I love how it turned out.

Brain Issues
Dec 16, 2004

lol
Displaylink sucking? I'm shocked.

What mac are you using it with?

I've got a Dell WD15 that would never work for video on my old 16" Macbook Pro with Intel+AMD GPU, but works perfectly fine on all other macs i've tested it on - Intel only, M1, M1 Pro. It's yours if you want it, just pm me, I'm using a different Thunderbolt 3 dock now and this one has been collecting dust, but honestly it works perfectly fine. Dell WD15

edit: Thought this was the mac thread, not sure why I assumed you're using a mac. This dock has also worked with every windows PC I've used it with. Yours if you want it.

Brain Issues fucked around with this message at 10:43 on Nov 3, 2022

Brain Issues
Dec 16, 2004

lol

LochNessMonster posted:

I’ll have a look at the dell ones. Are any of them fine? Ideally I’d like one with a few extra USB ports, but I could hook up a usb hub if necessary.

Displaylink used to work fine for me for years on both windows and macs. But all of a sudden it refused to work with any kind of display on any type of machine.

There's just too many variables with USB-C dock compatibility, so I won't recommend a dock to someone unless I've personally tested it with the machine they are using or similar. I've tested this WD15 with almost everything on the market and every feature works (with the exception of Intel 16"MBP).

PM me if you want it, someone else already asked me so I'm starting a :twentyfour: hour clock from now and then it goes to the other person.

Brain Issues
Dec 16, 2004

lol

LochNessMonster posted:

Appreciate the offer but I live EU so shipping would probably make it not ideal. Sell it to the other guy.

Ah yeah that would make shipping quite expensive.

Brain Issues
Dec 16, 2004

lol

Looks great! Well done & Merry Christmas to you!

What are those little nanoleaf type lights called that you have there?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brain Issues
Dec 16, 2004

lol

spunkshui posted:

Yes I spent like $500 on RGB tiles what else am I going to do with all these sata plugs on my psu.

What we waste our money on is no one else’s business!!

Brain Issues fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Dec 25, 2022