Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Chopper posted:

Apart from you have to be some kind of programming genius to configure the right combination of plug-ins to make foobar user friendly and look even reasonably pretty.

I am nothing of a programming genius and it works ok for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Farking Bastage posted:

I was expecting a lot of those replies, but here's the thing. That setup was put together so that NOTHING is on the floor. The UPS and all the power cabling is tucked away inside that desk. The router and cable modem are wall mounted and in the open to be accessible because there's a workbench just to the right of all that. I wasn't crazy about the sub on the desk, but mounting it would cause a rattle. That PC case is up to because it has a quick swap HDD bay on the front that I use for ghosting disks when needed and I like to be able to get to it.

That was about as well as I could figure out while keeping everything off the floor and not having to build a rack.

Just one question.

Why does it matter if anything is on the floor and why is your sub blasting you in the face and why can't you reach the hdd swap bay if the computer is on the floor?

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

wolrah posted:

My day-to-day workspace. Unfortunately I can't find a good spot for my spare 22" LCD, so I'm down to one monitor on my desktop until I get around to buying a two-way vertical stand or something like that.

The VoIP phone and AppleTV are probably both moving down in to the shelf with the old Dell laptop in the near future to make room for the TV to come over to a better viewing angle when at the computer.

How big is that tv? You're going to be watching it while sitting at the computer?

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Sir Nigel posted:

Probably watches it from where the cat is sitting. On the bed.

wolrah posted:

The VoIP phone and AppleTV are probably both moving down in to the shelf with the old Dell laptop in the near future to make room for the TV to come over to a better viewing angle when at the computer.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

GreatGreen posted:

What does SynergyKM do? I'm reading aroud but can't find anything other than a description that says basically the same thing as Synergy+.

You'll only care about it if you use OS X.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Martytoof posted:

Would it be some kind of code violation to just run it under the baseboard? That would have made more sense if they didn't want to hack up the wall.

It'd be trivial to re-drywall if it came down to it. Unless it's plaster (which it may very well be). If that's the case then it makes sense that they ran conduit instead of dealing with the huge loving mess that plaster is.

EDIT: Yeah, that's totally a plaster wall. I bet the doorway is to the right there and that's why the conduit was run along the brick.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

B00ts posted:

The desktop is almost three years old now but still runs as well as the day I got it.

Do you have the preconception that your computer rots from the inside as soon as you bring it home?

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Modern Day Hercules posted:

Surely it's a misconception if anything.

Conceivable.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

I moved to a new place where I have a whole room for my office so I spent/wasted some time on it.

Click for the full size.

The desk is two maple filing cabinets with a solid maple countertop laid on top. The rest is pretty basic.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

dreesemonkey posted:

Excellent, I'm thinking about making my own desk in a similar fashion. Where did you get the countertop?

I went to a local hardwood place (Crosscut Hardwoods in Seattle) and bought it from them. I paid 250 for the top and about 150 a piece for the filing cabinets which I bought shop-direct.

Saved a ton on cables from Monoprice. Bought the printer and got a 22" monitor for free so I went ahead and got (suckered into) the second one to match.

For some reason I am now contemplating mounting a third 7" monitor below the main two just for fullscreen irssi.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Triikan posted:

So, I've been working and working on getting all my equipment organized and neat, but then I decided to stop being a goon stuck in a separate part of the house surrounded by computer stuff. Found this desk at a garage sale for $20. I've always wanted one of these desks, for some reason, since I was younger. Moved my main rig to the shared room downstairs, moved everything else to the basement (server, routers, switches, modem, etc. Pictures of that when it is done, which should be soon).
Haven't hooked up speakers yet, might not at all, I only use this computer to game, and I use headphones for that.

Click here for the full 1504x1000 image.

Click here for the full 1504x1000 image.

Monitor Rack needs adjusted. May move the LCD to the top, and put my trusty, neglected CRT inside the desk.

Why didn't you at least clean it off when you brought it home?

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Centipeed posted:

This must seem like a pointless attempt at "impressive" technology to more than just me.

No everyone hates the Mighty Mouse because it's an awful, pill-shaped input device.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

spaceship posted:

work

This is the least work safe work desk I've ever seen. Pedobear and The Bra-less Wonder?

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

No seriously. wtf.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Juriko posted:

The best part is they are each hand painted by sweatshop labor in China.

That seems pretty antithetical to everything the PA guys are about.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Man. All I could see in that first image was the giant plate of bread.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Sir Nigel posted:

They even sell a Geek Desk without a top so you can build/buy your own tabletop but use their hydraulic legs.

I don't see any option on their site to order the desk w/o the top. Do you have to call them and order it special or something?

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Twink Toilet posted:

my home office thing

gently caress that Terminator piece owns. Where did you get it or how did you make it?

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Twink Toilet posted:

I made it with about 50 keyboards (give or take), 12 sheets of foam core backing, and a ton of patience.

I didn't even realize it was keyboard keys... that's amazing. Now I want one :(

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Work desktop.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

krnhotwings posted:

Do your arms ever cramp up 'cause of that keyboard (especially in a work environment)? As much as I love Apple products, their input device designs have always been very unergonomic-looking, so I stray away from them.

Nah I don't ever have any issues. I will say that having a magic mouse and a magic pad is overkill to the highest degree.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

I don't think I ever even touch the metal part of the keyboard...

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

There are also a bunch of synergy alternatives these days.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

MEsean posted:

What make/model is that dock?

DR FRASIER KRANG fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Oct 25, 2011

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

JudasIscariot posted:

Living Like poo poo

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Here4DaGangBang posted:

I suspect those guns are actually airsoft.

That was my thought after I realized the weight of that Para alone would tear that lovely rack right off the wall.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Dominoes posted:

The Desktop icon layout looks circa 1995. He's even got an AIM icon. I'm surprised there aren't icons for Netscape Communicator, Network Neighborhood and My Briefcase.

Why would you be surprised that these things would not be installed on a Windows 7 installation?

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Imagine that tower is a Mac Mini sitting pleasantly on the metal rack. Also imagine the carpet is torn up and the wood below refinished.

Some day, a beautiful butterfly.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Ihmemies posted:

Wow, 186x100cm, now I'm jealous. In Finland Ikea sells only 186x62cm tabletops so I had to buy a flimsier one elsewhere to get one big enough :/

This is so confusing... Finland and Sweden are right next to each other!

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Please tell me that stands for Tony Hawk's Pro Computer

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

rscott posted:

My inspection workstation.

Is that CATIA?

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

glompix posted:

This is an awful derail but why is it a problem that you can't get above 60 FPS in a game? Can you perceive a real problem caused by vsync? (it's a good thing since it mitigates tearing, usually)

Shhhh he's buying new hardware to fix an imaginary problem.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Delta-Wye posted:

As long as they don't get in the way, I prefer A-legs. I think the big complaint was having to adjust two legs instead of one or something, but I screwed mine in as-is from the factory and it's been fine so whatevs.

If you're constantly adjusting the legs of your desk you should get something like the Geek Desk anyway.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Misogynist posted:

Is that a... Border Corgi?

I believe it's called a Borgi (AKA The Cutest Dog In Existence)

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Duck and Cover posted:

That makes me feel better although I opted to pick it up at the furniture store I ordered it through. At least it wasn't http://www.urbanhardwoods.com/ prices.

My brother who is a woodworker just moved into town (Seattle) and when we happened to walk by the Urban Hardwoods store he just got angry at the prices he saw.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

program666 posted:

The notebook is for work and I don't usually use it. After buying the 40' tv I mostly used the normal monitor but slowly started using the tv as my main monitor with the keyboard on my lap. I really need some kind of narrow table with wheels to put my keyboard and mouse so it could move along with my chair.

Nice Goon Cave. That loving PC microphone is killing me.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

It's kinda like having an hourglass on his desk only instead of simply measuring it time, it measures monetary worth over time.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

I modified a banana hanger with a custom headphone sling made out of my Spring Break '99 banana hammocks.

Every time I put them on, it smells like my youth.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

And an Instagram filter too, it seems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

I honestly don't hate that. Footprint looks amazing.