Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast
I guess this is the nerdiest my setup gets

Two PCs, 6 monitors.. There's a projector to the left of all this poo poo which is connected to my xbox 360.. (yes, I fail)

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Aug 5, 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

tvgm2 posted:

Not to derail, but I remember a thread like this a few years ago where goons posted their messy rooms. That trash pile reminds me of one picture where the desk/computer was in a basement/cave, and to the right of it was dirt and darkness. Does anyone have this picture handy?

fixed huge images

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 12:49 on Aug 24, 2008

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Yeast posted:

Too many goons live in caves.

It's true. There's almost no natural light in my flat, ever. Which is good for watching stuff on my projector, but yes, I live in a cave. A filthy, dank cave full of monitors

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Isbiten posted:

Is it worth it? Because turning off the computers when you're sleeping would save a lot. Can't you have one computer on 24/7 if you need a server.

Well, I guess you save on heating :D

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

thebruce posted:

The google clock pisses me off because you can't tell if it's AM or PM.

On that note, I'd love to see a 24 hour analogue clock widget

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

essequamvideri posted:

Gotta love the 7-8 year old SGI Widescreen 17.5in LCD at 1600x1024 resolution.. (remember the 7 year old part)

I'm now envious of your obscure monitor.

AllenR posted:

The laptop is unplugged because I take it to work 5 days a week. So I don't feel like plugging it in and unplugging it almost every night.

That's why docking stations were invented

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

I am not a bean posted:

Home Theater PC - complete with ghetto wiring, messy floor, pissy cat, and a tv stand I found in the dumpster.

Jesus christ, who throws a decent sized flat screen TV in the dumpster? Was it working when you found it?

Edit: Ignore me, this was my stupid mistake.

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Jan 19, 2009

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Allistar posted:

Did you notice the part where he said "TV stand"?

Wow, reading comprehension minus a million. Apologies.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

PhilMcRevis posted:

Also, what do people do about cable management? Mine seem to be snaking around all over the place.

Not that I ever do it because I'm a lazy oval office, those spiral cable things that hold everything together are good at keeping everything tidy, also, never underestimate the humble cable tie, it's the perfect invention (cable ties are definitely something I use a lot of)

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Sir Nigel posted:

What CPU heatsinks are in those two computers?

Top one looks like a Scythe Ninja

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Dr. Faustus posted:

I like it. So loving cosy with a masterful touch of ghetto

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

All I can think of is in the past, burnt into my mind, the image to counter the argument that Mac users keep their desks clean. Oh typicalmacintoshuser.jpg

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Cityhunter posted:

Click here for the full 1440x1080 image.

The setup in my room, would love to have a better method of hiding wires but unfortunately behind that wall is concrete block so hiding things in the wall is a pain.

It's okay, you have a Dreamcast set up there, you pretty much win already

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

braden posted:

The trackpad rocks. For getting around the desktop, itunes and especially the web it is so nice. The 3-finger swipe to go back in the web browser saves precious seconds that I'd lose if I had to move my mouse up to the "back" button :) And intertial scrolling just owns.

You can get scrolling with interia in firefox with YASS using a mouse wheel, and I'd rather move my thumb 3mm to press a physical back button than take my hand off and swipe with 3 fingers (just to say.. I do regularly use a Macbook with a multitouch trackpad). There are some cool things about the trackpad, but I'd rather have my mouse

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 09:45 on Oct 5, 2010

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Centipeed posted:

I knew the mighty mouse had the two top buttons and the scroll ball in the middle, but I wasn't aware that they'd put a side button on there.

It has one physical button, but sensors to detect which side of the mouse your finger is resting. When the physical switch then makes contact, it decides which action to take based on the aforementioned sensor. That makes it utterly useless for games where you might press both at once.

It has buttons on the side, well, either side of the mouse, but they only function as one when you "squeeze" the mouse, the default action being expose, iirc

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Oct 5, 2010

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Sniep posted:

Mr. Kitten (Leo) I refused to get declawed, much to my expense of furnature, my nice leather jacket, and many other things. *sigh* I sometimes wish I was a heartless cruel bastard.

That's one of those weird things that only seems to happen in America.. declawing, I mean

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Chopper posted:

:gonk: please tell me you'll be getting curtains or at least blinds! It's like a gaping abyss, I could never sleep with that!

Huh, I don't have blinds or curtains either. Laziness I guess.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

glompix posted:

I'm still terrified when I put a heatsink in a motherboard. I think I actually even like the old AMD ones better. I mean, they took a lot of force, but they were dead simple. Now they have all these doodads on them and I'm supposed to turn something and I have no idea what I'm doing.

You want to try new AMD ones. They're hilariously easy.

Now, the push pin Intel ones? gently caress those. HARD. Sure, initially installing it is a piece of piss, but you can never easily re-use a heatsink because those little pins have splayed out, and always take any chance to snap off (I'm actually running mine at home with 3/4 pins intact).

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

PopeOnARope posted:

Intel's sinks aren't hard. Put all 4 pins into the lock position. Make sure that the plastic is flat against the board. Push them down in an X pattern and hear them lock. Takes under a minute.

Putting new ones on isn't hard, it's putting an old heatsink back on, since those lovely plastic pins spread out and prove difficult to get back in the holes, and no doubt have become brittle over time.

AM3 is a lot less tedious and quick every time - although it has the same problem any design has using plastic lugs - once those break off, you're screwed - at least in the case of AM3, it's not actually on the socket, but rather a plastic mount which could be replaced

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 13:21 on May 13, 2011

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Twink Toilet posted:

my home office thing

Really? A ton of keys? drat, that must have taken some time! Looks loving awesome by the way

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Factory Factory posted:

I dunno, I've seen plenty of Asians with thick rugs.

Yes, but what about their house?

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Now that's how you do multiple monitors. Goddamn.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

benitocereno posted:

USB powered grinder...

:twisted:

Oh no, a grinder with a devastating and mighty 2.5W of power

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

benitocereno posted:

You never know, it could look like this on the back:

That's an amazing solution to a problem that never existed

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

FISHMANPET posted:

You don't actually mouse like that, do you? Holy poo poo that would be painful after not very long.

I mouse like that at work all the time. Lots of space in front of the keyboard, so I use the mouse like that, almost at the same angle.
It's fine, really..

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

You're clearly typing on it wrong.
No big deal.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Null Set posted:

What are some of these alternatives? Wasn't real thrilled with Synergy the last time I used it.

Don't know whether it helps much, because it does cost a bit, but I bought a copy of Multiplicity after Synergy didn't work properly with - horrible nerd moment here - dual-boxing in World of Warcraft.

Synergy would just make the relative mouse control (when controlling a character's movement) screw up completely and I'd spin in circles. Multiplicity worked perfectly.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

teh z0rg queen posted:

Lose the two monitors and go for a larger single... everything else looks good :thumbsup:

You must be kidding. You'd lose space to work on, and it would be less useful.
If anything, you'd want a third 24" so you could run eyefinity. Definitely not a single.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Bob Morales posted:

That's 'grandma big'.

Eh, you say that, but 24" 1920x1200 (94ppi vs 99ppi) is slightly less dense than that. I think it's perfectly reasonable.

'Grandma big' is 1280x1024 @ 19" - hence it is exactly what I got for my parents several years back.

I do realise these are all fairly low densities, ultimately. The highest density display I have is of course, a smartphone, Desire HD, 800x480 @ 4.3" - 217ppi.

Highest PPI display I have on a PC is my laptop: 1920x1200 @ 15.4", 147ppi - I find this OK, but I can see why it would be too small at the default settings for some people.

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Dec 5, 2011

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

FISHMANPET posted:

No no, grandma big is 1024x768 on a 1280x1024 native 19" monitor.

Alright, but if we're going for people using non-native resolutions, there's no limit to the end of this madness.

The worst thing about that is that it's not even the same ratio, 5:4 vs 4:3

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Huh, well I set my parent's machine up, so they use Firefox with adblock plus, and a 19" 5:4 monitor at 1280x1024 (they've never had any malware on their system, shock!). Have since I set it up, and it was still that way when I replaced their old GX260 with another second hand Dell (Hey, upgrading from a P4 to a C2D is no joke!).

My dad is 66 and has pretty poor eyesight (always complains without his glasses he can't read things infront of him properly), and my mum has always worn glasses, yet they never complained about the PC.

So I'm not sure what demon could possess you to run a widescreen monitor at 1024x768. I'd say he probably needs to go to an optician.

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 09:11 on Dec 6, 2011

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Spike McAwesome posted:

I came back to this:

Time to fire up the shredder.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

metalhead posted:

Looks like the plastic bezel around the sides of the monitors are completely removed, so what you're seeing is the exposed screens beneath it.

Yup. http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=18331050

About half way down you can see the exposed rear of the panels.

Not for me though, I still wouldn't want to spend all that time, effort and money to end up with TN panels.. (Even though it was a requirement due to wanting 120Hz).

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

mik posted:

3x30" TN in portrait :/ The colours must look pretty funky when sitting in the middle of them.

No, it's three 23": Samsung S23A750D.

It just says he had 3x 30" before

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Guys, I've got it! gently caress yeah, a revolution in connector design.

CHILLED CONNECTORS

that's right motherfucker, peltier cooled jacks.

Less resistance, better conductivity, for a cleaner sound

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

thelightguy posted:

gently caress that, superconducting wire. LN-cooled all the way from the amplifier to your ears.

That would be the premium model

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Yet again, a way to strike it rich - empty your home of all that horrible oxygen, fill it with an inert gas, and then wear an oxygen mask around the house.

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 12:30 on Feb 24, 2012

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

MW posted:

Cool gun.

poo poo, he forgot the milk..

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

I couldn't stand that, personally. I have a huge goddamn armchair and there's nothing better than sitting back with a drink.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

HKR posted:

plants take up space reserved for empty booze bottles, hand guns, lotion, tissue and discarded food waste.

But you could use them to piss in, which looks less suspicious than bottles of dubious fluid lying around, so maybe a trick is being missed here