Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

The Lord Bude posted:

The settings/control panel thing is inexcusable. The new settings app looks great, and modern and all that, but there is absolutely no excuse for every last setting moving across before windows 8 shipped to the public, not trickled across drop by drop over 5+ years

Yeah, it's incredibly ugly. It's still hard to believe Microsoft thinks this is a fit-for-shipping product.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Ruflux posted:

Oh boy, Longhorn is something else. There is or at least used to be a whole community built around running and documenting various in-dev builds of Longhorn, it's so drat weird. I think some people even started using them as their daily driver which is absolutely insane. I'm not surprised somebody decided they really wanted the experience replicated on Win 10, but Christ that's sinfully ugly

I still really like 4074's ctrl alt del screen

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Jack Forge posted:

Legit question, but for those that don't have an adjustable height desk or a lack of space under the desk, why do people put their midtowers+ up on the desk surface?

I don't know, I've always had my PC on the floor.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

The Lord Bude posted:

It has been observed in the wild that the presence of a female mate can significantly accelerate this evolutionary process.

My wife doesn't care as long as stuff is tidy. I have shitloads of consoles hooked up to a projector, a htpc, surround sound, etc. We boh have dual-screen setups.

It'd be pretty tiring to have someone nag all the time about the things you like. RGB unicorn vomit rigs are not anything either of us want around, though.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

BurgerQuest posted:

It's always going to be ugly but I'd highly recommend a roll of velcro tape rather than zip ties.

I've recently discovered and fallen for rapstraps, they're kind of a weird in-between. They can be re-used, like velcro, but they pull tight in a ratcheting manner, like a cable tie. You can also forgo the re-use aspect and use the entire length of a rapstrap kind of like differently sized cable ties, but they don't shred your hands when cut, unlike the cable tie, where you throw away a huge portion, and also leave a nice sharp edge.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

I don't know about Plague, Inc, never played it, but this virus panic made me play Pandemic II. Mhm, such a classic

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Spring Heeled Jack posted:

Basement desktop chat: With the addition of a 2nd child my office space in a room with Windows has disappeared. Any tips for improving my work space that has no natural light? Any houseplants that can survive in a basement?

CoeLux.. I don't have one of these light sources, but I remember seeing this all over the internet ages ago and being utterly amazed. I have no idea how much they cost though. Probably an absolutely absurd amount.

Better off just buying a full-spectrum SAD lamp. You can buy big ol' ones in diffuse lightboxes. I think it's your best bet.

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Jun 2, 2020

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

VectorSigma posted:

Logitech G560.

The screen sampler was bugged and hitched badly for me until a fix came just last month. Here are the lights in action:

https://i.imgur.com/yIuz4xW.mp4

Just like Philips AmBX I had 10 years ago. That slowly died as the software support was crappy. There was a great third party program that made it work amazingly though (Aurora synaesthesia) , but only under XP.
I still have the kit somewhere.

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 13:31 on Jul 12, 2020

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

3D Megadoodoo posted:

I don't know if it's been mentioned ITT but a reminder to people comfortable with using zip-ties (which they should be unless they re-route cables like every week); these things exist:

(I worked in a place where people would regularly use zip-ties all day long and only one person I showed them to had any idea what they were. I guess that's why I found a whole bag in the garbage bin :shrug:)

But they're so handy. Bizarre. I guess some people really don't pay attention to things

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Daric posted:

You gonna tell us what they are?

They have a self adhesive backing, you stick them to a surface, and then you run a cable tie through. Lets you anchor cables pretty much wherever you want without damaging the surface.
A nice thing to have when you want to tidy up cable runs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Ok Comboomer posted:

if you insist

I recently added some new displays and a notebook (pls ignore chains)

Ah, this is bungmonkey's old hovel, right? Some seriously nostalgic imagery