Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005
I don't mean to derail, but why are people making fun of CRT monitors? The only downsides I can see to them are higher power consumption and size. If you are destitute enough that you can't afford the power difference between the two, then you shouldn't be using a computer anyways, and I don't know of anything I'd really like to store behind my monitor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005

Juriko posted:

I had used CRT's until I had to move 6 or so times in less than 2 years and got sick of having to move it. It was honestly the thing I dreaded moving most next to my crt tv which also replaced. I live in a small apartment in the city and appreciate not having to have a deep desk just to hold a monitor. My old desk worked well but it was huge and I appreciate having something half the size now.

Well I will give you that. I guess if you lived in a tiny studio in NYC or something like that where you really really don't have room, then I suppose it makes sense.

It's mostly the resolution parts that gets me. When I moved I picked up a nice 24" Samsung monitor. It was like 600 bucks at the time, and it still suffered from very minor but noticeable "ghosting". You get to take your pick between clarity or FPS. 24" LCDs have pretty high native resolutions, way too high for most people to play newer games like Crysis. So you have to turn the resolution down which means you at least get blurriness from the scaling.

I thought it looked terrible so I returned it and got 2 Sony GDW-F900s from a Goodwill for $7.99 each. I love the prices of "obsolete" technology.

Anyways, sorry for the bitching and going off-topic there. It's just something that's always bothered me.