Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
oh yeah this thread exists

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

SalTheBard posted:

Is that actually your setup? Thats pretty neat looking.

yes I just moved the 6th screen to its holiest spot (the top left).

I have a 7th vertical screen to but it's currently not being pressed into service.

Before I log onto my work computer I switch my USB switcher/hub, then hotkey to deactivate the bottom three monitors; which the mac connects to automatically; then I use Synergy to share the mouse/kb from the main PC; which passes the m/kb over the borders just like a normal multi monitor set up.

After work I sleep the mac and press another hotkey to summon the screens back.

It literally took me ages to find this stupid program for Windows to do the hotkey disable vs something else. On Linux I just use an Arandr script assigned to a hotkey

The keyboard is a handwired Dactyl Manuform

ziasquinn fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Apr 9, 2023

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

Inept posted:

You can make the arm stay below your field of view when using monitors

Elgato makes one for $100 that I've liked fine

omfg I will. thanks for the tip. it's been making me crazy.

champagne posting posted:

How do you manage to get MacOS to now throw a fit with that many screens?

oh sorry this is actually Arch Linux with GNOME, but I have a 3080 with 4 monitor outputs and I use a displaylink dock (dell 6000 series) to run the last 2. Displaylink adapters work OK too but hog USB ports. (also do not rotate displaylink screens it makes them laggy as gently caress)