Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Juriko
Jan 28, 2006

mediaphage posted:

This is iffy - I think you'd be harder pressed to get a PC that's also the same size and noise level of a Mini at a significantly reduced price.

He said he already had aged hackintosh he replaced it with, and unless aged is like a year there is no way the old one was mini sized. I just wondered what made him take the plunge specifically.

glompix posted:

Looks very nice, but I'm not really understanding that price. Why is it so expensive, when it looks fairly simple?

It is a Herman Miller desk. It is going to be low run, high quality designer furniture. Part of it is materials, part of it is build, and part of it is the name/design. It is kind of like asking how the Embody costs so much. After you sit in one you either think its worth it or don't. The leap is a lot less expensive and it is a great chair, but it isn't the embody.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Juriko
Jan 28, 2006

Milo Pollywalter posted:

Yeah, this is basically it. I have yet to see a micro/miniATX PC case that is as nice as the Mini's - especially for the price.

True, I can think of a few companies making SFF PC's along with a few hardware/case combos you can go with, but I have no clue what their hackintosh support would be like. My instincts say iffy. My problem with trying to build a decent one has been frustratingly enough the power supply. Everytime I find a great case they have a pathetic PSU that would run nothing but ULV hardware. I have found a handful of custom PSU options that cost way to much after shipping from europe. Were talking making the case/PSU alone close to 400 dollars.

Also Monoprice sells similar arms.

Juriko
Jan 28, 2006

Retape posted:

I bet some of you guys would pass out if you saw the cable mess that is hiding behind these desks:

Maybe but not really. Cable messes are tragic when they are easily preventable. That just looks like one of those situations where you are hosed either way. Especially if you swap out stuff regularly, which would make actually trying to tame the beast annoying.

Juriko
Jan 28, 2006

IsaacNewton posted:

Zip ties are for newbies, velcro strips is the way to go.

Word. I use mostly a combination of cable lacing and velcro ties. Zip tiles are only used in the could of places were poo poo gets heavy and should pretty much never move. Velcro ties make it a snap to get to things, and the time it takes to take them on and off is nothing compared to the time it takes to untangle beastly cable nests.

Juriko
Jan 28, 2006

mcwaite posted:

Does anyone have experience with those ergonomic kneeling chairs? They seem like they would be helpful for posture and your back, but it doesn't seem like they would be comfortable for very long sessions at the computer.

They are not. They are pretty comfy in stints but the lack of back support means you will start to slouch over periods, and then it is just horrible. It is also a bitch if you have any kind of knee injury. I have one from when I was a kid and it almost never bothers me, but it sucked when I used to have one of those chairs.

Juriko
Jan 28, 2006

SmirkingJack posted:

I still don't understand what is so amazing about the Jerker. Sure it looks like it will do the job, but I don't see anything that makes people go on and on about it.

At the time? It was cheaper than most equivalent desks elsewhere and built like a tank. In a nuclear holocaust the Jerkers will remain in tact, gain sentience, and carry the torch of humanity.

Now? I have no clue. It is a solid desk but the value is kind of gone.

Juriko
Jan 28, 2006

benisntfunny posted:

Did some painting today, though I haven't figured out how to hide the cables yet.

While my first reactions is "wow, that is a lot of displays" my second reaction is it looks great other than the cabling. Also while the print fits it feels really generic and a bit too ikea, but thats the art hound in me. I really like the spacing on all the displays from a visual standpoint.

Juriko
Jan 28, 2006

benisntfunny posted:

The displays make sense though. The two of the same size are for my desktop. To the right is my personal laptop that I do all my music/browsing/chatting/email poo poo. Then my work laptop hooked up to a second monitor. The TV on the wall does cable and is also hooked up to a media PC on the floor. Yes I need to do some better cabling. I also would replace my IKEA picture... but one thing at a time... Art is pricey.

No, I figured as much. Whenever I see two laptops like that I always assume work laptop or some such. I also find it funny in your gif how you disappear, objects magically move themselves, but then someone else is painting the wall. I also know art is expensive. I cheat by doing art trades or doing it myself.

Juriko
Jan 28, 2006

ufarn posted:

Any advice on tying cables together? There are cables running to my laptop in the TV room, and it doesn't look that awesome: ethernet, power, TV-out and external HDD USB.

Zip ties if they are always in that group or velcro ties if you need to swap cables out all the time. Velcro ties rock but they are way more expensive than their zip tie brethren and less sturdy for long term installs. The third option is cord and cable lacing.

Juriko
Jan 28, 2006

Sporadic posted:

Mine had a wobble until I tightened something (I think the little feet on the bottom? Can't really remember it was a few months ago when I first got the desk)

This is true of all ikea furniture. Note: if you own anything that is flatpack, and it gets a bit loose tighten it ASAP. Continuing to use it without tightening it is what leads to the poo poo breaking or wearing apart, because that bit of wobble that would be solved with a turn or two of the leg/allen wrench is causing the hardware to grind away at its support.

Juriko
Jan 28, 2006
Lots of desks but what are some of you all using for chairs? I have been chair shopping recently and it is just a huge pain in the rear end. All the go to chairs are outside of my budget right now(leap, Mirra etc). I have around 300 to spend but I am just going nuts since it is hard to find anyone outside of like office depot that sells things on that end. I can find stuff online, but I don't trust ordering a chair I have never even sat in. At this point I am thinking of just picking up a reaction because our local Costco happens to have one, but it seems like there has to be something I am missing.

Juriko
Jan 28, 2006

TDD_Shizzy posted:

Bungeeeee

While I actually like the feel of those, they just don't have enough adjustments for tilt, arms etc.

I don't have a problem with a plain task chair, the Reaction is a pretty much the original task chair, I just like having more options and feel like there has to be something I am missing. There is this huge gap between cheap Office Depot chairs and going to a high end furniture store.

Hell, I know there is because it is hard to find places to try out even the "cheaper" options from Steelcase or Herman Miller. I mean, I tried out http://www.officedepot.com/a/products/510830/Realspace-PRO-Quantum-Recycled-Mesh-Mid/ in store and it actually fit the bill as far as comfort and adjustments go, but half the reviews mention breaking parts and they are way to consistent for my taste. That is what I am wondering, where do you go to try out low mid to mid range task chairs as opposed to high to ultra high end.

Juriko
Jan 28, 2006

Here4DaGangBang posted:

Save up for longer, buy a better chair and only have to do it once?

I can't. My current chair is falling apart and I work at it a lot, and I just can't budget 900+ dollars on chair right now, especially because at that price point it is as much about design as it is comfort. The problem isn't the lack of 300-500 dollar task chairs. The problem is the number of stores that carry them. I am making calls to a couple office chair distributers now to see if they have any way for me to sit in one before I order. It just seems that at this price range no one has them on the floor, it is all mail/online order.

Juriko
Jan 28, 2006

man thats gross posted:

Cross-posted from A/V. I trimmed the fat a bit.

I have always loved that desk a lot. If you don't need all the space or a million drawers it is slick as hell.

Sparse: Honestly if you had a more modern couch or slipcovered it, put a decent painting above the couch and had a shelf that matched the other furniture you would be looking pretty slick. If they let you paint I think you could either mirror the floor color or use a darker gray on the ceiling and you would have a really slick looking modern little apartment.

Juriko
Jan 28, 2006

man thats gross posted:

Yeah, the book shelf is starting to bother me as well. I may try my hand at sanding and refinishing it myself. If not, I'll probably give it away.

The couch actually is slip-covered. It looks a bit weird in photographs but in person it's much nicer, it's got texture to it.

The overall plan does include plenty of art, a coffee table and rug, and getting those boxes all packed away out of sight. Might even put a bench/trunk under the window depending on how much room we've got leftover.

Just bear in mind this is what it looked like a week ago:

Hah I have the same couch, I love that drat thing. I actually removed the feet and bolted casters to it though. I am in the process of actually upholstering it as opposed to the slipcover style it comes in. I just store all my crap under by bed. Me and my roommate moved from a rather cheap but large apartment in an inconvenient area to a much smaller but more expensive place in a great area, and I have had to get creative in my storage. I basically live out of my little 10'x10' bedroom now.

Juriko
Jan 28, 2006

Sultry Fungus posted:

I bet that thing would fly on casters :science:

I live on a hill and you have no loving idea how tempted I have been to try that.

Juriko
Jan 28, 2006
After calling around I just ended up getting the Reaction. At 300 bucks it is a bit more than a similar office depot etc. task chair, but Herman Millers warranty is hard to beat as is costcos return policy. It is pretty heavy duty as well. Not as pretty as a Think or an Embody, but it will get the job done.

Juriko
Jan 28, 2006
Plywood floors can work but you have to use the right hardness of plywood, and enough clear coat(pretty much want to finish it like a garage floor, poor a bucket of self leveling, spread it a bit and run). You also, realistically, should be sanding down all the edges and the surface. It is only cheaper if you have a lot of time to spend on it. It can look really cool though.

OSB is the same way.

Juriko
Jan 28, 2006

Tab8715 posted:

Don't buy the cheap monitor arms, if you want one, you're going to have to shell out for an Egotron. The rest just have too much give, at least for my 2001wfp.

Not really. It depends on how adjustable/how often you want to adjust them. If you just don't want stands on the desk and don't need the height to be easily adjustable any cheep mount from monoprice will do fine.

Juriko
Jan 28, 2006
Seeing all these setups has lead me to design a frankendesk that features all the things I like from everything that has popped up here. Hopefully going to pick up the wood this weekend. Prepare to have your faces ROCKED.

Juriko
Jan 28, 2006
Yah, desk OCD for sure. I have a very specific way I handle organizing my work and papers etc. I also micromanage my finances to the point I can tell you how much I spent on the first tuesday of march two years ago and what on. I cannot function at my desk if it is cluttered. Clutter while working? Fine, but that poo poo has to be gone by the next day.

edit: Also in my experience mac users are photo nuts. They are not going to take a photo of their desk with papers all over it. It doesn't fit into their personal image of their workspace.

Juriko
Jan 28, 2006

Martytoof posted:

I *love* that wood paneling behind the desk. If only I had a room in which I could pull that off.

Or I lived in a barn.

Either one I'd be OK with.

Wood paneling can look fine with the appropriate flooring and ceiling. The big problem is that most of the time its wall to wall paneling with a popcorn ceiling and no trim work, also shag carpet.

Juriko
Jan 28, 2006

Centipeed posted:

I don't believe Apple have ever put extra buttons on their mice, have they?

I know this is an over reaction, but Jesus Christ yes they have. Even though it breaks constantly even the lovely rear end mighty mouse has a side button and a goddamn trackball for scrolling. Apple has sold multi button mice for quite a while.

Juriko
Jan 28, 2006

Bucket Joneses posted:

No everyone hates the Mighty Mouse because it's an awful, pill-shaped input device.

Pretty much. I like the track ball actually, it is really nice for text editors compared to a traditional wheel, but the shape of the mouse wounds it fatally, and the lack of of any way to clean said trackball kills it entirely. On top of that it has like, 2002 era optical tracking.

Also it is a bar of soap, a filthy bar of soap.

Centipeed posted:

This must seem like a pointless attempt at "impressive" technology to more than just me.

You actually get used to the whole touch thing, it is silly but not a deal breaker for the average user. What really kills it is the shape is just horrible, and they break constantly. Well not break so much as get gunked up, and it is completely impossible to service since the entire thing is glued together. If you are very careful you might get buy with superficial damage, but then you have to glue it together again which means you are screwed when you need to open it again in 4 months. It is 100% disposable and 100% lame.

Juriko
Jan 28, 2006

Mr Chips posted:

Now I understand why IKEA gear is popular in this thread. In Australia, that same item costs $395, or ~$380 US dollars, which puts it in the 'proper locally made desk' bracket.

Which is funny because, at least here, you would be hard pressed to find a locally made desk for less than 600-800 dollars. 400 would put you in the "high end" chinese/malaysian import range

Juriko
Jan 28, 2006

Tab8715 posted:

What did you use to make the desk-on-desk stand?

Not sure what he used but the galant has a clamp on elevated monitor shelf options among others.

Juriko
Jan 28, 2006
http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/70173945

But I was wrong, I thought I remembered it being a lot shorter than that.

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/S19876232

that shelf might be shorter, and could also work

Basically if you can walk into an ikea you can almost always buy poo poo separate from the whole, so you can get creative. The shelf I know I have seen involves a pair of aluminum legs that run at a 45 degree angle that you bolt to the desk and add a shelf too. I have seen it used on desks, and I think it is actually a kitchen counter item.

edit :http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/40051196
Those are what I am talking about

Juriko fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Nov 22, 2010

Juriko
Jan 28, 2006
http://ikeahacker.blogspot.com/2007/06/justins-2-tier-computer-desk.html

Juriko
Jan 28, 2006
I just linked to those capita legs right above you, and the type of desk is a non issue since it is just hardware. You could use them on any desk if you wanted. Most of the capita stuff is still used in the kitchen section, so they are still available. I was using capita legs for my old AV stand since the same kind of feet purchased online were 60 bucks instead of 12.

Juriko
Jan 28, 2006

Mike the TV posted:

When I had my monitor that way, I noticed I was always slumping in my chair. I raised the monitor so my eye is even with 3/4s of the way up the screen and it works great.

This is about right. Specifically you are supposed to put the monitor top a couple inches above eye level so you can look straight on. if you put the top at eye level you still have to look down a lot.

Juriko
Jan 28, 2006

IsaacNewton posted:

You start with HDMI. :psyduck:

There are serious drawbacks to running HDMI TBH. I have had a million more problems in dealing with HDMI than I did in dealing with Component. The only real advantage for me was the whole 1 cable deal. It constantly wants to fail handshakes, is far more finicky with distance runs etc.

Juriko
Jan 28, 2006

chimz posted:

On glass? I'm worried about shattering the desk by putting too much leverage on the very edge and getting stabbed in the balls by a three foot long shard of glass. I'd be putting two Cinema Displays on separate arms.

Pro tip for Coffee Jones: get a Logitech Performance MX, it can track straight on the glass Galant's surface with no mousepad magazine.

You don't have to worry about ball shattering, the glass should be tempered!

With clamp mounts on glass if you are worried about force applied at the fulcrum being to much there is a bunch of stuff you can do depending on the desk construction. The simple thing is to put some thinner wood under the clap above and below to distribute the force over the surface more. If there is a brace under the glass near by you can also rig an extension to mount to that.

It really comes down to the size/weight or the monitor and the length of the arm.

Juriko
Jan 28, 2006
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000P5SSDQ/ref=wms_ohs_product

I use one of these. It is simply and about as flush as a normal monitor stand.

Also you should have no problem using 4 heavy duty toggle bolts hold a small, flat VESA mount to the wall for that monitor. Unless it is ungodly heavy for some reason it will be fine.

Juriko
Jan 28, 2006

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

It was on sale over the weekend, but yeah I guess that's the MSRP. That's nothing, too. They had table lamps there that were a similar style for almost $400. I could not figure out what would make a brushed metal lamp worth several hundred dollars.

It is actually less than I expected. When you posted it I was thinking it was going to be one of those humorous cases where your lamp cost more than your whole desk(well, I don't know how much the desk was, I just expected the lamp to be like 300-400 bucks).

Juriko
Jan 28, 2006

Robolizard! posted:

Really

The best part is they are each hand painted by sweatshop labor in China.

Juriko
Jan 28, 2006

Bucket Joneses posted:

That seems pretty antithetical to everything the PA guys are about.

Which is why I find it funny. It isn't just them though. Pretty much any "hand painted" print you find is most likely coming out of Shenzen or similar. They have a small army of university trained painters dying for work.

Juriko
Jan 28, 2006

Bucket Joneses posted:

Man. All I could see in that first image was the giant plate of bread.

You are not alone.

Juriko
Jan 28, 2006

Electric Bugaloo posted:

To be fair, with a little work (maybe a new glossy paintjob or even just some polishing) that could be a really fantastic-looking desk. I love those '40s-'70s style desks that look like they could survive a nuclear blast.

They are quite awesome and can be had for pretty cheap, but goddamn are the heavy as gently caress and hard to move.

Juriko
Jan 28, 2006

vty posted:

Why is it so difficult to find an attractive and useful computer desk? I'm going to wind up with a Galant again - should have never sold it.

Because attractive computer desks themselves are a pain. I tried a bunch of more attractive, less worksation centric desks and none of them fit the bill as well as my ikea one. I realized good functional work desks tend to not be wow inducing because you want everything about them except the surface to get out of your way. All the good ones I have used look more or less the same, some kind of simple t or L legs and a whole lot of top.

That said stuff like the geekdesk add stuff like electronic lift which is nice if you are in the market for a convertible standing desk and you have the cash.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Juriko
Jan 28, 2006
Unfortunately my home office is also my small, rather cramped apartment bedroom. I'm in the process of doing a finish on the desk top so it is a bit funky. Soon to hopefully be adding a pico projector for office TV viewing, as soon as the drat thing actually ships.

also, muthafucking cable management.