Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sir Nigel
Jun 29, 2006

Baconroll posted:

Looks like the Ikea Galant desk I bought last week.

Confirm. I'm sitting at a black one. If you get one, get the T-leg version. The angled legs are harder to get level and it drives me nuts. (I got the angled legs :-/ )

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Nigel
Jun 29, 2006

ssjonizuka posted:

Living like poo poo, AND getting more and more pissed off by the mighty mouse. Need to find some better backgrounds for the big monitor though (double duty for xbox on shelf under monitor).

What the gently caress is on that plate?

Sir Nigel
Jun 29, 2006

Raluek posted:

I guess this is the best place to ask this. I'll be totally re-configuring my desk area, and I need kind of a special desk. It has to support 300LB and be wide enough for three 24" widescreens. Is this possible with something that won't cost more than my car, or should I just make something out of 2x4 and plywood?

The Galant Ikea desks will hold 300lbs. I have one with the triangle legs (get the T-Legs, the triangle ones are hard to level) and it held my two 24" monitors, two built computers (each case weighing over 35 pounds) and me standing on it while trying to run some wire, so thats over 300lbs.

Sir Nigel
Jun 29, 2006

Mountain dew is actually made with Orange Juice I think.

edit: Since I don't think I ever posted this, here is my desktop:

Click here for the full 1600x1200 image.

Sir Nigel fucked around with this message at 23:47 on May 3, 2009

Sir Nigel
Jun 29, 2006

Yeast posted:

Ah yeah; there's a space between the monitors, Apple haven't quite got the anti gravity thing happening just yet.

And they're a pair of 30"s.
It's tough to accurately show proportion.

;_; I wish I had the cash for two of the 30"s. I'm so envious.

Sir Nigel
Jun 29, 2006

Synergy doesn't like wireless connections sometimes but a cheap 4 port (or 6 port if you have more than 4 computers) switch and some 10' cat 5/6 cables to make a closed LAN works wonders for it. (Or if you use just two computers a crossover cable like I use.)

Sir Nigel
Jun 29, 2006

Mr. Fix It posted:

I didn't think people actually used mice left-handed. My dad's a southpaw, but he uses his mouse with his right hand.

I've seen it once. Person didn't have a right hand.

Sir Nigel
Jun 29, 2006

Philip J Fry posted:

I had to recable *everything* just so I could stick the AC unit back in the window. 90 in the Puget Sound? In June? In a 90 year old house on the third floor? Well, it was worth the trouble afterall. Of course the unfinished concrete basement is a nice 67, but I don't want to be that guy.

Are those monitors 30"?

Sir Nigel
Jun 29, 2006

url posted:

I gots me a new height adjustable desk as a leaving present from work. Its huge.
Also my father in law built me an ikea cabinet to house my 3 machines.
But, I'm not happy about the wiring as yet. I'm calling this a first draught.
Any ideas on good/cheap cable management are welcome, i understand the two approaches are usually mutually exclusive.

{imgs}

Double sided velcro strips are the best for cable management. That and finding a good place to put them. One neat trick that I don't think will work for you is to take some of that cardboard backer board you see that has holes every inch or so and you can put hooks in it (you normally see it in like a garage above a workbench) and screw some to the side/back of your desk and attach some hooks to it and velcro everything to it. Theres a really good example of it somewhere in this thread.

Sir Nigel
Jun 29, 2006

Golbez posted:

Every time I see a picture and think, "Wow, that's a nice desk," someone says

Why are there no good desks? Anyway, Grayham, that's a magnificent looking desk, good job.

Ikea generally has a few good desks at any time. The Jerker is fabled (and discontinued) for the ease with which it took expansion and its layout and the Galant (Gallant?) is a wide sturdy desk with simplistic looks (get the T-leg version). Or get two 28-32" tall file cabinets and go to Lowes/Home Depot and get an exterior door blank. Boom instant desk.

Sir Nigel
Jun 29, 2006

Alligator posted:

Full size

The main disadvantage of my current desk setup is that just to the right of the rightmost guitar is my TV, hung on the wall. Watching TV while being at my desk is awkward so I have to choose one or the other and since I'm an internet whore I'm back at it every 5 minutes skulking around forums.

Also untidy cables.

Currently on the hunt for a small second monitor that I can comfortably fit on the desk.

What case is that?

Sir Nigel
Jun 29, 2006

Phillyt posted:

What is the longest Ikea desk? Is it the GALANT? I just want to find a desk that is really long so I can put one monitor on it with speakers and still have room to do hand written stuff and have text books on it on the other half of the desk.

My GALANT in black/brown is 63" wide. There's enough room on this thing for two 24" monitors and still have room to work on poo poo with books and whatnot. If you get a GALANT get the T legs, the A legs are not as good.

However, the largest (widest) desk IKEA makes is a VIKA AMON at 78" wide. If you look at IKEA's website just look up the VIKA products and there will be a VIKA AMON thats $50. (Because there are like 3 different sizes of the AMON desktop) Then you can choose what legs to get. And they have some pretty cool legs for the VIKA series desks.

Sir Nigel
Jun 29, 2006

Akvj1n posted:

The mStand works great, I need a new mouse though.

What chair is that? Is it comfortable?

Sir Nigel
Jun 29, 2006

BOOM! DOCTA WATSON posted:

Is there a dog under that sheet

Nah those are probably dirt clothes/sheets/pillows/cheetohs bags.

Sir Nigel
Jun 29, 2006

Rand McNally posted:

It's tiny (obviously) and is similar to the bargain run-of-the-mill Wal-Mart special, but of slightly higher quality.

That table looks like it'd break after about 3 days.

Sir Nigel
Jun 29, 2006

Its an ATCS-410 and its just an older case that was of a build quality/look/materials/design that few cases back then had. And the design is still decent by todays standards and its maintained its classy look.

Sir Nigel
Jun 29, 2006

mrk, what are you watching?

Sir Nigel
Jun 29, 2006

Logitech Dinovo Edge by the looks of it. http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-diNo...k/dp/B000J43HJ8

Sir Nigel
Jun 29, 2006

You should put the sub on the floor as far away from everything else as you can.

Sir Nigel
Jun 29, 2006

diospadre posted:

What's the point in having a 5.1 system if every speaker is sitting right in front of you?

You can have 5.1 that is front front side side center sub instead of front front rear rear center sub. That is how mine is setup.

Sir Nigel
Jun 29, 2006

thelightguy posted:

Which is useless since all the commercial 5.1 mixes are 2xfronts, 2xrears, center and sub.

It still gives you more of a picture of whats behind you than 2.1 will. It slides the positioning up so the timing is right that's all. Your mind is capable of compressing its hearing FOV/POV and taking what is, in reality, the speaker directly to your left and knowing that the sound from there is, in virtual reality, behind you and to the left.

It's certainly not optimal. Nor is it the greatest for the quality of said sound, but lets be honest here, that looks to be a logitech 5.1 system and he is probably using onboard sound, so its going to be muddled and bass heavy and loud and that is exactly what he wants probably. Would more of us like to be able to mount those 2 rears actually behind us? Yeah, I wish the cables for mine were a bit longer and there was somewhere to but speakers behind me but my back is to the room and the nearest wall/furniture is 10 feet behind me so I'd just have to speakers on little stands in the middle of the room.

Sir Nigel fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Dec 18, 2009

Sir Nigel
Jun 29, 2006

ATwoSlotToaster posted:

What kind of laptop stand is that? I've been looking for something to raise and angle my laptop for a while now.

Not entirely sure its this, but I know the Griffin stand that Apple sells for the Macbooks is an awesome stand. http://store.apple.com/us/product/TK651LL/A

Sir Nigel
Jun 29, 2006

Instant Stalker posted:

Tablet users

I can read most of it but what in the world is that pyramid thing?

Text appears to read "Award "

Sir Nigel
Jun 29, 2006

Bucket Joneses posted:

How big is that tv? You're going to be watching it while sitting at the computer?

Probably watches it from where the cat is sitting. On the bed.

Sir Nigel
Jun 29, 2006

headcase posted:

What about that little hutch? I'm looking for something like that for my setup, and didn't see it on Ikea's site. I've got that same lamp, and a similar colored corner desk (you can see it on the previous page)

I think its an accessory for a different table though it fits perfectly on the Galant, I have one too. I'll see if I can find it on the Ikea site.

edit: Oh I remember how they do those. I'm not sure if you can get this online, but if you go to an Ikea you just buy one of the table extensions without the frame support (mine for instance is this but without the frame supports one here) and then they have these little legs you buy that just raise it up 6" or whatever it is. The one in the picture above appears to be this one here. If you have to order online I'm sure if you call the order in you can probably get a non-framed version to use as a hutch (as well as the little legs you need) and they come in all the colors the Galant Desks come in. And I don't know about the other guy, but, on mine the little legs aren't actually attached to any specific points, they are just free standing under the extension piece so you can position the legs however you want (as long as its stable ).

Sir Nigel fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Jan 10, 2010

Sir Nigel
Jun 29, 2006

That's what we both got, those little legs and an extension. Your color looks a lot like mine so you should be good to go with the Dark Brown color. The only thing about the actual hutch part you selected is it has the metal tube framing on it to extend the actual desk surface whereas the ones you can buy in the store for hutch purposes don't have this metal framing attached. I'm not sure how much of a pain it will be to remove the framing section or if it will even be a problem for what you want it for, just wanted to make sure you understood the website.

Sir Nigel
Jun 29, 2006

Milo Pollywalter posted:

Yeah, it's one of these. It's basically a ball with a base to keep it stable and not require constant adjusting to stay on it. I've been having quite a bit of back pain previously, I'd say it's helped a fair bit. The only thing is that it's not height-adjustible (well, you get two heights), I need to get a keyboard tray or possibly a small height-adjustible table for a keyboard surface.

What CPU heatsinks are in those two computers?

Sir Nigel
Jun 29, 2006

jupitercore posted:

There have been a ton of awesome setups in this thread. It's been awhile since my last post.

Moved into a new place 2 weeks ago. Made an Ikea run and picked up a Vika Glasholm table top with Vika Artur legs. Also snagged a Markus chair.

Started getting the contents of the desk setup. What is the banana hanger I see everyone using for a headphone rack? I haven't pulled the headphones out yet, but I'll need a place for them shortly.

[timg ]http://simplenerd.com/files/img/desk_wip.jpg[/timg]

Its literally a banana hanger. Check out Bed Bath and Beyond or Target or something's Homewares section.

Sir Nigel
Jun 29, 2006

Do you make a lot of CD/DVDs or something?

Sir Nigel
Jun 29, 2006

J. Cardigan posted:

https://www.interfacelift.com

Any chance you can give us the filename or something. That site has a pretty huge library of wallpapers.

Sir Nigel
Jun 29, 2006

And either that is a really small dog or your cat is a huge.

Sir Nigel
Jun 29, 2006

They even sell a Geek Desk without a top so you can build/buy your own tabletop but use their hydraulic legs.

Sir Nigel
Jun 29, 2006

Moey posted:

What size tank is that? Seems tiny for a guinea pig.

It is and glass tanks aren't the best habitat for a guinea.

Sir Nigel
Jun 29, 2006

Moey posted:

Not that I am aware of within Windows 7. I don't have dual monitors here so I cannot test, but you may be able to take your two backgrounds and mash them together side by side, so then you would still have one image being selected for your background, then rotate through those.

^^^^That will work, its crude and it relies on you pairing sets of desktops together to form spanned images. This is a crude fix. (Though it does work.)

Certain applications can do it. DisplayFusion, UltraMon or MultiMon should have that function. (And better multiple monitor desktop backgrounds as well.)

Sir Nigel fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Mar 24, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Nigel
Jun 29, 2006

Super Dude posted:

Where?

22"-23" 1080p monitors can be had for ~$100 in a lot of places. Look around.