Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OneeyedWIlly
Dec 12, 2005

LOL, LIMEWIRE
I hate not remembering the name of games we used to play from back in the day.

I'll start.

It was for SNES, was about a caveman.

Was NOT super adventure island.

Basically you were a caveman with blue hair but if you got hit you would turn into a monkey. Bosses included a caveman with a dinosaur machine and a vampire and poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cloudhidden
Feb 26, 2007
I'm not sure but I think you're thinking of Congo's Caper.

OneeyedWIlly
Dec 12, 2005

LOL, LIMEWIRE
Holy poo poo your right THANK YOU

Cloudhidden
Feb 26, 2007
I'll contribute.

I remember renting this game when I was a kid, it was an action rpg (had hp and poo poo and a bit of platforming), it was a diagonal isometric view, had a blonde haired protagonist. Wish I could think of more but can't. It was either genesis or SNES.

edit: NM It was Alundra for PSX.

Cloudhidden fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Aug 8, 2008

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum
It's an old game I don't remember much about, all I can really remember was it was hard as gently caress when I was young and the opening thing is you have to get into a turret and you just shoot down planes until the alarm goes off. After that I think you get into a plane that might look like a stealth fighter and you fly somewhere...

First Time Caller
Nov 1, 2004

I played this game for Windows 3.1, it was semi educational i think?

I remember some crazy white haired mad scientist or some poo poo, and you helped him test and build poo poo. I remember something about a big zeppelin. gently caress I wish I could provide more.

And there was another 3.1 game I played. There were a bunch of robots that asked a bunch of questions and something happened if you answered it right. It had something to do with a tv station or a radio tower or something?

YamataNoOrochi
Oct 24, 2005

Kainer2000 posted:

I'll contribute.

I remember renting this game when I was a kid, it was an action rpg (had hp and poo poo and a bit of platforming), it was a diagonal isometric view, had a blonde haired protagonist. Wish I could think of more but can't. It was either genesis or SNES.

edit: NM It was Alundra for PSX.

Just a heads up, there was a game just like Alundra for the Genesis, called Landstalker. I want to say Alundra was a sequel to it, but I am not 100% sure on that.

Volcano Style
May 2, 2006

THERE IS ONLY ONE
I remember playing some really mediocre fighting game for the Mega Drive/Genesis that I rented. It came in one of those two-game cartridges where everytime you turned the power off and then on again, the other game would play. The game it came with was Decap-Attack and if I'm right, one of the fighters was some sort of squarish golem with a huge face.

I don't even remember it being that good a game but closure would be nice.

MushroomSquid
Jan 7, 2005

In roaring he shall rise and on the surface die.
It was like a movie-maker for kids on the PC (1993, I think?). You chose your characters, made your sets, added sounds and words, and to record, you'd just move the little characters and make them laugh, walk, cheer, etc., thus creating a movie in full 3-D.

Saint Septimus
Dec 9, 2005

First Time Caller posted:

And there was another 3.1 game I played. There were a bunch of robots that asked a bunch of questions and something happened if you answered it right. It had something to do with a tv station or a radio tower or something?

Was it one of the Super Solvers series? I remember being pretty drat shocked when I found out about this game after wasting hours upon hours on it on my Tandy or whatever when I was like 6.

Cloudhidden
Feb 26, 2007

YamataNoOrochi posted:

Just a heads up, there was a game just like Alundra for the Genesis, called Landstalker. I want to say Alundra was a sequel to it, but I am not 100% sure on that.

Thanks, that was it.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

Sweeper posted:

It's an old game I don't remember much about, all I can really remember was it was hard as gently caress when I was young and the opening thing is you have to get into a turret and you just shoot down planes until the alarm goes off. After that I think you get into a plane that might look like a stealth fighter and you fly somewhere...

You're thinking of Cyberia.

camgirl fangirl
Jan 17, 2008
EAT MORE
Old platformer for the Genesis. I remember you were a robot that had a gun, and you could pick up powerups for your gun (I think). The platforms were silver with a colored dot in the middle I think? Can't be more specific, sorry.

First Time Caller
Nov 1, 2004

Saint Septimus posted:

Was it one of the Super Solvers series? I remember being pretty drat shocked when I found out about this game after wasting hours upon hours on it on my Tandy or whatever when I was like 6.

gently caress yeah dude. That poo poo kicked rear end!

squiffy
Aug 3, 2007
Rebus: TTT

MushroomSquid posted:

It was like a movie-maker for kids on the PC (1993, I think?). You chose your characters, made your sets, added sounds and words, and to record, you'd just move the little characters and make them laugh, walk, cheer, etc., thus creating a movie in full 3-D.

3D Movie Maker.
You'll be pleased to know there's still an active community for the game. Some of them create absolutely mind blowing movies, building all of their scenes from primitives. Other movies are... childish.
3dmm.com

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!

fineX posted:

Old platformer for the Genesis. I remember you were a robot that had a gun, and you could pick up powerups for your gun (I think). The platforms were silver with a colored dot in the middle I think? Can't be more specific, sorry.
Vectorman? Ranger-X?

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum

Bieeardo posted:

You're thinking of Cyberia.
Holy poo poo you are right :pirate:

Thank you so much! I don't know how you got that from my description lol

Binowru
Feb 15, 2007

I never set out to be weird. It was always other people who called me weird.
There was a game that used the NES floormat, but it was not Olympic Track & Field. I think you played as kids at camp or something, and it involved things like riding a bicycle and operating an air pump. I remember not liking it as much as Track and Field because it felt like I was moving my legs much faster than the drat kids on the screen.

G Prestige
Jul 11, 2008

What do you want me to say?
It was an old Windows 3.1 game.. you were a jet or spaceship or something.. and it was 3d. Once you started moving it kept moving and you had to either slow down or speed up and jump left/right to land on different coloured space roadways. It was a lot of fun and was hard at the time... can't remember what it was called.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

GTWhalley posted:

It was an old Windows 3.1 game.. you were a jet or spaceship or something.. and it was 3d. Once you started moving it kept moving and you had to either slow down or speed up and jump left/right to land on different coloured space roadways. It was a lot of fun and was hard at the time... can't remember what it was called.

Oh god, I know exactly what you're talking about. I wasted so much of my youth on that game. Can't remember the name either, though. :(

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
It was a Genesis game where you started off with a plain robot, and could customize it with stuff like "tank arms" or "spined legs", and you'd go through the levels fighting other robots and platforming. Also there was a finishing move called the "torso grab" or something like that.

Ardhanari
Mar 23, 2006

GTWhalley posted:

SkyRoads, or a ripoff of it. There's practically an entire genre.

G Prestige
Jul 11, 2008

What do you want me to say?

Ardhanari posted:

SkyRoads, or a ripoff of it. There's practically an entire genre.

Yeah it was Skyroads, thanks.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

Sweeper posted:

Holy poo poo you are right :pirate:

Thank you so much! I don't know how you got that from my description lol

Eh, I'm just that good I guess. :c00l:

Binowru
Feb 15, 2007

Charles Bukowski posted:

It was a Genesis game where you started off with a plain robot, and could customize it with stuff like "tank arms" or "spined legs", and you'd go through the levels fighting other robots and platforming. Also there was a finishing move called the "torso grab" or something like that.

Sounds like Cyborg Justice.

fnordcircle
Jul 7, 2004

PTUI
Like 18 years ago I played this game that was sort of like Nethack on a Tandy computer but instead of having ascii symbols for characters it had really simple graphics. Like your character looked like a small blocky dude, but otherwise it played mostly the same. Any thoughts?

Irascalopolator
Jun 17, 2003

Binowru posted:

There was a game that used the NES floormat, but it was not Olympic Track & Field. I think you played as kids at camp or something, and it involved things like riding a bicycle and operating an air pump. I remember not liking it as much as Track and Field because it felt like I was moving my legs much faster than the drat kids on the screen.

Super Team Games. For some reason I've got a sealed copy

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

fnordcircle posted:

Like 18 years ago I played this game that was sort of like Nethack on a Tandy computer but instead of having ascii symbols for characters it had really simple graphics. Like your character looked like a small blocky dude, but otherwise it played mostly the same. Any thoughts?

Castle of the Winds? It was a fairly simple roguelike for Windows that used icons as its graphical elements.

Binowru
Feb 15, 2007

Irascalopolator posted:

Super Team Games. For some reason I've got a sealed copy

Awesome, thank you.

Lacool
Jun 18, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT MY DRAGON FUR SUIT BORING YOUTUBE BULLSHIT AND THEN TELL ME TO GET OUT
My friend gave me this gave for Sega genesis, you were a kid with a soccer ball and the soccer ball was like your main weapon/device I think. The opening level was in a neighborhood with power lines and stuff and you would just walk right/left like a platformer, though I don't remember much jumping.

camgirl fangirl
Jan 17, 2008
EAT MORE

OneEightHundred posted:

Vectorman? Ranger-X?

It was ranger-X. Thanks a bunch :)

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction
I played a sidescroller for SNES that featured a woodpecker that could accelerate to rocket speeds. The goal of each level was to pop 4 balloons and *probably* find some end zone.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Paging West Ham Sandwich, who was looking for Congo's Caper in the last one of these threads. Don't think my response was seen before the thread died.

Lacool posted:

My friend gave me this gave for Sega genesis, you were a kid with a soccer ball and the soccer ball was like your main weapon/device I think. The opening level was in a neighborhood with power lines and stuff and you would just walk right/left like a platformer, though I don't remember much jumping.

Are you certain it was Genesis? It sounds a lot like Soccer Kid, which was ported to nearly every other console, but not Genesis.

Technetium
Oct 26, 2006

TRILOBITE TECHNICIAN
QUITE POSSIBLY GAY

I remember an older 2d shareware (I think) fighting game for PC called something like Zulu Warriors, I think. You'd fight in a little arena/dungeon with creatures like a scorpion or spider warrior, golems, an eyeball creature, a mage, a fighter. I believe if you won the tournament your character had a parade in front of all the other characters. I just seem to recall the name starting with a Z.

Sushi Face
Oct 11, 2006

Tastes like funk
There was a demo that came with a PC games magazine way over 10 years ago that I've still yet to remember the name of. It was a turn based spaceship shooter game, POV from above, and all your little ships lined up at the bottom of this big square block of space with the enemies ships lined up at the top.

When it was your go you could move every ship of yours a certain distance and you did this by clicking and dragging the front of the ship and a little line with an arrow on the end appeared and you moved that around until you were happy with it. You could also select a single missile to fire for each ship and that would be fired once you ended your go. The game ended when all of one teams ships were blown up.

The free version I played only came with the basic ships and rockets and to get the full game you needed to mail off some money to some address.

Neron
Jan 14, 2008

Lacool posted:

Marko's Magic Football?

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=qyG27hpsGDU

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

MysteryVortex posted:

Marko's Magic Football?

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=qyG27hpsGDU

Holy poo poo, that's the most blatant ripoff of a game I've ever seen. They didn't even have the decency to give the kid a different kind of ball or something.

\/\/\/ Street Rod

A FUCKIN CANARY!! fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Aug 9, 2008

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
I remember playing some racing game back in the dos days, very few colors.
You could buy your cars via ads in the newspaper where you would also find other people to race. There was a garage screen where you had a sideview of the car and could change the cars color, tune it etc.
The racing itself was crappy, you had a first person view of your car and all the tracks pretty much looked the same, a highway with curves, I think most of the screen was pretty dark.

GaoGaoStegosaurus
Apr 24, 2008
I've been looking for a game for years; kudos to anyone who can name it:

It was a PC pre-Windows overhead-view vector graphics multiplayer 'tank' game. Your tank was a triangle. You could buy weapons at the end each level, such as spread-shot, etc. It could be played with at least two players using the same keyboard. There were computer controlled players that could be added.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

First Time Caller
Nov 1, 2004

This one goes way back. It was a game or simulation or something for the Commodore 64, where you like, track the weather or something. I was like 6 at the time and had no fuckin idea how it worked but i thought it was cool as poo poo.