Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Lprsti99 posted:

I vaguely remember a retro-style game (want to say it was a shmup kinda deal). The gimmick was that everything was procgen, and you could basically "invade" an enemy, so they became the new level, and your actions in them could affect the behavior of that enemy when you left them. Or, you could invade one of the enemies inside of the first enemy, and just keep going deeper. I don't recall whether it was all that good, but I can't get it out of my head.

It's definitely not what you're looking for, but do check out Warning Forever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Shine posted:

Moto Racer 2 is so loving good.

I don't know how they did it, but the colours in both games are so nice and crisp, just puts a huge grin on my face every time.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Lprsti99 posted:

Nailed it, looks like it was more a cool idea than a good game. Ah well, thanks!

Extremely on brand for Jason Rohrer, and I say this as someone who loved Sleep is Death.

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Everything's coming up explodey!

Pillbug

Pierzak posted:

It's definitely not what you're looking for, but do check out Warning Forever.

Pretty fun, and I like how you can change the firing angle and direction, but it can only play in a tiny window (fullscreen causes a crash) and the lack of weapon variety kills my interest somewhat. I do love the idea of a constant boss rush that adapts to the player, though!

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Motor Racer 3 is the game I'm thinking of, thanks goons.

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009

Crumps Brother posted:

I went on a bike ride today and the map I rode ended up looking like a really specific either video game or cartoon character. I can see the character in my head, but I just can't place it.

The two little spots on the second line from the top are the eyes above an agape mouth. Can anyone else place it? It's kind of driving me crazy.

Anyone recognize this?

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Number Muncher or related characters.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
Possibly the Adventure duck dragon. It doesn't really look like it, but it's along similar enough lines that that's where my brain went.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Looks like the Atari 2600 ET sprite to me

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Whoops, fell in a hole.

Whoops, fell into another hole.

Dang, always with the holes, this forest.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Nice pixel dong

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

homestar runner?

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Shine posted:

Whoops, fell in a hole.

Whoops, fell into another hole.

Dang, always with the holes, this forest.

Much like real life the real threat in ET is the FBI.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Splicer posted:

Nice pixel dong

They gave him as realistic a dick as they could

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

I also think it’s gotta be Number Muncher.

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?
My first thought was E.T., but also maybe M.U.L.E.?

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
There was a driving game in an arcade cabinet with a steering wheel (not sure about pedals) that I played, maybe around 1995-2000 but I’m not sure anymore cause I was a kid. It was single player and you drove a car that you could pick up upgrades like guns and lasers and shoot other cars with them. I remember there also being a flying drop ship that gave you upgrades occasionally I think. I remember the art style being pixelated/“retro” with 2D sprites instead of 3D.

Does anyone know what game I’m talking about?

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

Boris Galerkin posted:

There was a driving game in an arcade cabinet with a steering wheel (not sure about pedals) that I played, maybe around 1995-2000 but I’m not sure anymore cause I was a kid. It was single player and you drove a car that you could pick up upgrades like guns and lasers and shoot other cars with them. I remember there also being a flying drop ship that gave you upgrades occasionally I think. I remember the art style being pixelated/“retro” with 2D sprites instead of 3D.

Spy Hunter? I think that might have come in a stand-up cabinet with a wheel and pedals

You get upgrades from a semi truck

titties fucked around with this message at 08:55 on Aug 9, 2020

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Lazyhound posted:

[...] but also maybe M.U.L.E.?

I use that theme song as my alarm tone. :allears:

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Boris Galerkin posted:

Roadblasters

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S2AegHtFar4&t=11s

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

You could get a free t-shirt if you beat the arcade version:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1hALb-KO8s

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Crumps Brother posted:

I went on a bike ride today and the map I rode ended up looking like a really specific either video game or cartoon character. I can see the character in my head, but I just can't place it.

The two little spots on the second line from the top are the eyes above an agape mouth. Can anyone else place it? It's kind of driving me crazy.

Super duper longshot, but maybe it's Super Arabian on NES?

The pink guys, maybe?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X0g0pMZl0tU

Edit: jesus, the fact that the original question asker posted that in another thread kind of screwed me up there for a bit. Welp.

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Aug 10, 2020

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Holy poo poo that's the game. Problem solved. Thanks.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Platform: original Xbox
Genre: third person action
Setting: sci-fi
Gameplay: You played a character that could switch between 3 forms. I think the first was human, the second a beast that was agile and stealthy, the third a ranged tank.

When I try to recall the name I keep thinking Dark Sector, but it definitely wasn't Dark Sector because that came a generation later.

Boldor
Sep 4, 2004
King of the Yeeks
I can't remember the name of what I'm ~95% sure is actually a gamebook, not a computer game. Whatever it was, I played it in the 1980s.

If it's the latter, it's probably a text-parser adventure, since one of the things I remember about it is there's a lot of text to read; and it cannot be anything remotely well-known -- I know every Infocom and Sierra title well enough that it can't be any of those. If a gamebook, I'm ~95% sure it's not any of Choose Your Own Adventure; or Lone Wolf or Grey Star the Wizard; or Fighting Fantasy or Sorcery!.

I can't remember if there's actually any kind of formal combat system, and I can't even remember if it's fantasy or sci-fi or whatever.

But there is an early, drawn-out combat against some monster that will likely poison your character, and then you must labor to recover from the poisoning. And then, towards the end of the game(book), it so happens that this brutal early poisoning is somehow essential to victory. Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger, I guess? If you either evaded the monster, or avoided getting poisoned, you could make it almost to the end and then fail your quest.

And it definitely is some kind of poisoning or disease; so it's not, for instance, the mandatory near-death in Enchanter, which is a stabbing.

What is this game(book)?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Mierenneuker posted:

Platform: original Xbox
Genre: third person action
Setting: sci-fi
Gameplay: You played a character that could switch between 3 forms. I think the first was human, the second a beast that was agile and stealthy, the third a ranged tank.

When I try to recall the name I keep thinking Dark Sector, but it definitely wasn't Dark Sector because that came a generation later.

Sounds like Alter Echo?

Sakurazuka fucked around with this message at 13:24 on Aug 14, 2020

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Sakurazuka posted:

Sounds like Alter Echo?

Aw yes, that was it! Thank you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KgAuffC9-IM

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009
Okay, long shot, but here goes.

I remember playing a first person shooter around the mid nineties that had cartoony black and white graphics, like a comic book. I think it was set in some sort of jail, and the emphasis was more on navigating the maze like levels than combat. I also think that most combat wasn't done with weapons, but by punching and melee. 2.5D, can't have been much more advanced than Ken's Labyrinth.

I played it on a Pentium 1 running Windows 95, as part of one of those European CD-ROMs filled with demos. I remember this disk had a cover that depicted a knight riding a motorcycle, an image which I'm pretty sure they stole from the poster of George Romero's Knight Riders.

The worst part is that I love (obscure) 2.5D shooters, but this one has always escaped me. Does anyone here know?

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Sobatchja Morda posted:

I remember playing a first person shooter around the mid nineties that had cartoony black and white graphics, like a comic book. I think it was set in some sort of jail, and the emphasis was more on navigating the maze like levels than combat. I also think that most combat wasn't done with weapons, but by punching and melee. 2.5D, can't have been much more advanced than Ken's Labyrinth.

I played it on a Pentium 1 running Windows 95, as part of one of those European CD-ROMs filled with demos. I remember this disk had a cover that depicted a knight riding a motorcycle, an image which I'm pretty sure they stole from the poster of George Romero's Knight Riders.

The worst part is that I love (obscure) 2.5D shooters, but this one has always escaped me. Does anyone here know?

Bad Toys, maybe?

Mischievous Mink
May 29, 2012

Sobatchja Morda posted:

Maybe Zero Population Count? Definitely fits the aesthetics and timeframe you describe. And it has fisty attacks.

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug

Mischievous Mink posted:

Maybe Zero Population Count? Definitely fits the aesthetics and timeframe you describe. And it has fisty attacks.

this was gonna be my suggestion as well - not black and white strictly, but the style does have a cartoony aesthetic

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009

CYBEReris posted:

Bad Toys, maybe?

Holy poo poo, I think you nailed it! At first I wasn't sure because Google gave me Bad Toys 3D, but then I saw the original black and white version and I think this must be it!

I really like the chunky weapon sprites, the have hold up far better than I feared. Thank you so much!

EDIT: I mean, look at this. Yes, this is primitive compared to Doom and Duke (both of which were readily available by 1995, which is just a year before Quake) but the sharp contrast and style is really pleasing. It reminds me of GunGodz and I could totally see this style being used intentionally today.

A Worrying Warlock fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Aug 18, 2020

Funktor
May 17, 2009

Burnin' down the disco floor...
Fear the wrath of the mighty FUNKTOR!
I'm trying to remember a game I played in approximately 1993 - something Turrican-ish on an early Mac or Apple II-E or similar. I played it in black and white although I don't know if that was the game itself or the computer.

SoldadoDeTone
Apr 20, 2006

Hold on tight!
My wife has a game in mind that was probably for the Sega Genesis, but she is not sure. All she remembers is that at the end of the game a spirit gives you a choice of three rewards: immortality, unlimited wealth, and true freedom. Immortality turns you into a cloning machine, wealth creates a gemstone planet that you cannot reach, and true freedom kills you.

Any ideas? That's actually all she remembers.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

Funktor posted:

I'm trying to remember a game I played in approximately 1993 - something Turrican-ish on an early Mac or Apple II-E or similar. I played it in black and white although I don't know if that was the game itself or the computer.

Wild guess, but maybe Thexder?

Funktor
May 17, 2009

Burnin' down the disco floor...
Fear the wrath of the mighty FUNKTOR!
Yep, definitely Thexder. Thanks!

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

There's this rail shooter with really, really awful graphics where you're shooting robots in a big skyscraper. Dave Fennoy voiced the bad guy and did a way better job than the game deserved. What was it called?

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Hwurmp posted:

There's this rail shooter with really, really awful graphics where you're shooting robots in a big skyscraper. Dave Fennoy voiced the bad guy and did a way better job than the game deserved. What was it called?

Is it not in IMDb?

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Sobatchja Morda posted:

Holy poo poo, I think you nailed it! At first I wasn't sure because Google gave me Bad Toys 3D, but then I saw the original black and white version and I think this must be it!

I really like the chunky weapon sprites, the have hold up far better than I feared. Thank you so much!

EDIT: I mean, look at this. Yes, this is primitive compared to Doom and Duke (both of which were readily available by 1995, which is just a year before Quake) but the sharp contrast and style is really pleasing. It reminds me of GunGodz and I could totally see this style being used intentionally today.
That's neat. The graphics are so simple they look pretty much timeless. If they were even a little more complex they'd look infinitely worse and dated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crackmaster
Feb 6, 2004

Hwurmp posted:

I'm not familiar with the game, but poking around Dave Fennoy's credits on MobyGames I stumbled across Assassin 2015:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JK6zqr3H0rc

It's not on rails, as far as I can tell, but it's got the actor in question, it's set in a building full of robots, and those cutscenes have quite a...distinctive look to them, especially the character models.