Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

boof
Jun 3, 2001
Hey thread. I'm trying to remember two Commodore 64 games I used to play.

The first one was two players, one character on either side of the screen, fighting game-style. Both characters were medieval knights with bungee cords strapped to their waist. You would move towards the center of the screen to attack the other player, but the bungee cord would be always pulling you back. Instead of swords, you held a tennis racket and you would lob a ball back and forth at eachother to inflict damage.

The second game showed a 3D perspective view of a bathtub. Spiders would crawl out of the plug hole and it was your job to blast them back down the plug. It's definitely not "Exterminator", I've already checked that when trying to search for it.

I think I played both of them from old C64 magazine cover tapes like Zzap, but I'm not having any luck looking through covertape lists.

Any ideas? I swear I'm not imagining these.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beef express
Sep 7, 2005

The highest technique is to have no technique.
The first one is Bounces. Not sure about the second.

boof
Jun 3, 2001

beef express posted:

The first one is Bounces. Not sure about the second.

That's it! Thank you so much!

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

Second one is Araknifoe.

http://www.gb64.com/game.php?id=354&d=18&h=0

boof
Jun 3, 2001

That's definitely it - thank you also! This thread is the best.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
Speaking of spiders, we had a game on our Atari 800 where you were, IIRC, a hunter (gun? bow? I don't remember) in the woods or something, and spider-like monsters would run at you, and it was really awkward to try to shoot them.

Your character stood toward the bottom of the screen, and the monsters would run "down" toward you, and you'd shoot "up" toward them. It wasn't an overhead view; more like over-the-shoulder except zoomed way out.

I didn't play it much because it scared me (I was like 5) so I don't remember what the progression would have looked like or how you'd move your character around. The monsters may not have been giant spiders, but my 30-years-removed memory sees them that way.

Any ideas?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Forbidden Forest, maybe? It also came out on Commodore 64.

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

I'M PROGRAMMED TO LOVE THIS CHOCOLATY CAKE... MY CIRCUITS LIGHT UP FOR THAT FUDGY ICING.

Let’s not forget the biggest reason to remember Forbidden Forest https://youtu.be/BCjK9J-WvZ0

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
Yup, thanks! gently caress, as soon as that music hit, my brain immediately went to the "Nope" place. Scared the poo poo out of me when I was a kid.

The version we had:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MB7lzcp0y14

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

This just popped into my head last night and I'm not even 100% sure it's a game, but I remember what I think is a game where your character is in a mental institution, very white and crisp, and that it's a recurring level. I specifically remember you befriending a guy to get some keys, like you have to keep escaping to get back to the game.

Does that ring any bells?

E: Darkness 2, typing all that out shook it loose from my memory.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Here’s one that I hope is easy- a space shooter from the mid-late 90’s called Hellraiser or Hellblazer or something like that. I remember the cockpit view showed your hand holding a joystick with two buttons that I always thought looked kinda like a goofy floppy-headed muppet leaning around in sync with the game.

Mischievous Mink
May 29, 2012

food court bailiff posted:

Here’s one that I hope is easy- a space shooter from the mid-late 90’s called Hellraiser or Hellblazer or something like that. I remember the cockpit view showed your hand holding a joystick with two buttons that I always thought looked kinda like a goofy floppy-headed muppet leaning around in sync with the game.

Ahh, that's Hellbender!

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

We droppin' like a comet and this Vulcan tried to Spock it/These Martians tried to do it, but knew they couldn't cop it

This is a total shot in the dark because I doubt anyone else will remember this, but here goes: Back in the 90's, my brother and I used to play this game on our parents Mac all the time that was a sort of activity center or possibly educational. It was a 2d castle that was navigated around by going from scene to scene. The first screen would be the drawbridge and walls, the second would be the entry hall, and so forth. On each screen would be characters walking around and you could place new characters like a dragon or knights. All characters would walk around after being place and do a short animation, but didn't interact with anything or each other. If you put them in the air they would slowly fall unt they reached the ground and then continue walking. I remember that there was a princess in a tower and if you clicked the window in her room it brought you to a special, secret room. The art style was very cartoony and colorful.

I have no idea what the point of the game was as there didn't seem to be any objective. You'd just click from scene to scene, watch some characters milling about and put some of your own in who would just do the same. No math or spelling questions; no quizzes; no recording or typing capability either (at least as far as I remember), so you couldn't create your own stories or plays for the characters to act out. Thinking back on it i must have been starved for entertainment because I played it all the time. My googling is turning up nothing, and not remembering what this was called is driving me crazy.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Mischievous Mink posted:

Ahh, that's Hellbender!

Ok, I have a question that I'd love answered...

What the hell is the deal between Terminal Velocity, Fury 3, and I think Hellbender? Are they all the (almost) same game?

Edit: to illustrate my point...

3D Realms' Terminal Velocity:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DU6ti5Ng6hg

Microsoft's Fury 3:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6_8tSpXLuK8

Hellbender:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CIlchd2aGZ0

Ok, upon reviewing those, Hellbender seems to be the odd one out, but it's still very similar to the other two.

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 12:39 on Oct 2, 2020

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

Fury 3 is Terminal Velocity but ported to Windows and with things changed around just enough for it to be considered a new game so that Microsoft could publish it. Hellbender is a sequel to Fury 3.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Terminal Velocity was published by Apogee (later 3D Realms), but it was developed by Terminal Reality. And it seems they had a deal with Microsoft for 5 games.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
That style of game was also incredibly popular for a while during the late nineties, so even if there weren't a direct connection between the games, I wouldn't have been surprised to see a bunch of basically identical ones anyway.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Thanks, all!

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Horizontal scrolling Japanese shooter. Arcade only, never got a home port. Unfortunately I can’t remember concrete details other than pretty dark 2d art, like almost as if it used photo cutouts but not in a clearly goofy cho aniki way. The only thing I remember is the final boss being a translucent monstrous space whale/dolphin that rapidly changes the LSD trip background as it rips you through time and space.

It’s not Gradius/R-Type/Darius but I’m positive it’s a spin-off of an established series and not a wholly original game.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!
Metal Black.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V3cwogMB9o0

Jump to 27:10 for the afore-mentioned translucent space whale.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

drat that looks cool, it's amazing how quickly shumups veered into bizarre territory though I guess considering the amount released at their peak it was inevitable. Lol that English though.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!
It has a great game mechanic that I'm not sure is clear in the video. The stuff you pick up to power your super weapon can be grabbed by some of the higher-level enemies and bosses, and they use it to power their own. If you both fire it off and they collide, you get these scary blackhole effects that can fly towards you. I really like the idea of these over-powered weapons breaking the laws of physics and having somewhat random side effects if they interact.

I've always wanted to make a game with that as a bigger mechanic but I'm no coder.

The two player mode is fun enough, and during the bonus stage where you fly around locking missiles onto dumb enemies my friend and I used to try and push each other off the machine so we could get the shot in ahead of them.

e: and that classic klaxon boss warning sound is just awesome.

e2: watching that video, it looks like you can steer the blackhole thing into the enemy. I never knew that and thought it was something random that could help or hurt you. Or I'm totally wrong and the whole effect I think exists actually doesn't!

Gromit fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Oct 2, 2020

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Gromit posted:

Metal Black.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V3cwogMB9o0

Jump to 27:10 for the afore-mentioned translucent space whale.
That is trippy as hell. I can see where the comparison with a Cho Aniki that is a bit less Cho Aniki comes from.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

Looking for an old (pre-2001) PC game, that was multiplayer on the same keyboard. Top-down tank game with lots of crazy weapons available, and I remember it having Amigia-ish graphics if that makes any sense.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Cardiovorax posted:

That is trippy as hell. I can see where the comparison with a Cho Aniki that is a bit less Cho Aniki comes from.

Check out Gynoug on the Megadrive if you want another example of the Cho Aniki guy being serious.

Well sort of serious since the first boss is a literal man train.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Sakurazuka posted:

Check out Gynoug on the Megadrive if you want another example of the Cho Aniki guy being serious.

Well sort of serious since the first boss is a literal man train.
Do I ever! Thanks for the recommendation, I'll check that out.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Gnoman posted:

Looking for an old (pre-2001) PC game, that was multiplayer on the same keyboard. Top-down tank game with lots of crazy weapons available, and I remember it having Amigia-ish graphics if that makes any sense.

Scorched Earth comes to mind, although that's probably too old.

4 inch cut no femmes
May 31, 2011

Gnoman posted:

Recwar?

http://recwar.50webs.com/

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

I’ll add Fire Power and Return Fire to the list of tank games, although I have no idea if they had split screen or lots of crazy weapons.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8G4ngPXGGgw

Note: This game has tanks but the person playing keeps using a chopper for most of the video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hJVkHpMpNWY

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

On the subject of shmups, I played a vertical shooter on an arcade machine sometime in the mid 2000s. I don't remember much about it but I think you just piloted a plane or ship or something like most of them, but you could skip ahead stages somehow and I did it by accident and went far ahead to some terrifying boss that (afaik) was just some gigantic black machine/monster or something with a strobing background. Even some other people in the arcade noticed and were similarly impressed and it annihilated me and I lost all my quarters :(

I want to say it's one of the Raiden games but it's clearly not, as those were much more grounded with their enemy designs being all planes and tanks and warships and whatnot, and there doesn't seem to be any major level skipping feature in any of them.

Kite Pride Worldwide fucked around with this message at 10:38 on Oct 3, 2020

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Yeah Metal Black, I’m trying to collate all the 90s games I know that end in some kind of creepy meat world because frankly it’s a lot. We all had Cronenberg on the mind.

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

Meanwhile Darius was clearly made by and for Troy Mccleur

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

Kite Pride Worldwide posted:

On the subject of shmups, I played a vertical shooter on an arcade machine sometime in the mid 2000s. I don't remember much about it but I think you just piloted a plane or ship or something like most of them, but you could skip ahead stages somehow and I did it by accident and went far ahead to some terrifying boss that (afaik) was just some gigantic black machine/monster or something with a strobing background. Even some other people in the arcade noticed and were similarly impressed and it annihilated me and I lost all my quarters :(

I want to say it's one of the Raiden games but it's clearly not, as those were much more grounded with their enemy designs being all planes and tanks and warships and whatnot, and there doesn't seem to be any major level skipping feature in any of them.

It wasn't Time Pilot was it?

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

FanaticalMilk posted:

It wasn't Time Pilot was it?

No, it was a standard autoscrolling top down shooter, and much more modern than that. Like I said, it was similar to Raiden in terms of style and technological level, as far as I can remember.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Mierenneuker posted:

I’ll add Fire Power and Return Fire to the list of tank games, although I have no idea if they had split screen or lots of crazy weapons.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8G4ngPXGGgw

Note: This game has tanks but the person playing keeps using a chopper for most of the video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hJVkHpMpNWY

Firepower has the roght general look, but it isn't it. Return Fire is much too modern looking.

The one thing I remember clearly is that one of the pickups was an A-bomb that wrecked most of the map (similar to the one in Battletanx).

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

Gnoman posted:

Firepower has the roght general look, but it isn't it. Return Fire is much too modern looking.

The one thing I remember clearly is that one of the pickups was an A-bomb that wrecked most of the map (similar to the one in Battletanx).

And it was really top-down and not a side-on view like all the classic Scorched Earth types?

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Top down and very mobile. A 2D Battletanx is a good summary, now that I think about it.

ManxomeBromide
Jan 29, 2009

old school

al-azad posted:

Yeah Metal Black, I’m trying to collate all the 90s games I know that end in some kind of creepy meat world because frankly it’s a lot. We all had Cronenberg on the mind.

If Blazing Star isn't on that list yet, it should be. Bonus points, if you can call them that, for the final boss being a giant space fetus.

I blame Stanley Kubrick.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Point and click adventure game for PC, male main character. Definitely in the 90's, before 2000. Don't recall much but I do recall being stuck in a room or prison cell thing (Vague memories of it being all bluish), with a window you could climb out onto a ledge. Don't think it was a lucasarts game. I know that's not much to go on, I just can't recall any more details than that...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Is it Orion Burger?