Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain_duck
Dec 3, 2005

I swear nice bushes!

blackguy32 posted:

Choplifter? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MqoaAk8ucPk

Well first of all it was on a keyboard-computer, but apparantly choplifter had a C64 version i see on youtube, but thats not it, it's not underground in caves.

The problem is that i have no idea what kind of keyboard computer it was, theres dozens of these things. The keyboard-comp wasn't mine, it was of an old friend from my childhood (i tried asking him once but he had no idea anymore either). I think it used carts that went into the side of the keyboard but im not sure. I cant remember any other games on it either. I remember the game because i thought it was awesome and would like to play it again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

GaoGaoStegosaurus posted:

I've been looking for a game for years; kudos to anyone who can name it:

It was a PC pre-Windows overhead-view vector graphics multiplayer 'tank' game. Your tank was a triangle. You could buy weapons at the end each level, such as spread-shot, etc. It could be played with at least two players using the same keyboard. There were computer controlled players that could be added.

My friend, I have found it. Destruction Zone: http://www.digitalscores.com/dzone/

Let me know if that's the one. It's a little underwhelming though since it's not exactly how I remembered it. I get the feeling that it might not be the right game but it is.

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!

Captain_duck posted:

Sort of sounds like SGNG yeah, allthough there's no deleting any stuff like savegames in that. Anyway check out my old LP of this : http://video.google.nl/videoplay?docid=-3339339781343944391 , is it that game?

Anyway a game ive looked for myself a lot, and asked before in other threads here but havent gotten the correct anwser yet is an old game. It's for one of those old "computer in a keyboard" type computers like the commodore 64 or MSX or any other type. Im sure it wasn't a spectravideo because i had that one myself. The game itself is a helicopter game, you fly a helicopter through a series of caves. I remember there being pretty big maps, and it got pretty tough to get through some parts.

Here's a little mockup that i made from memory:

I have no idea if the colors are right, but there were multiple levels like that with increasingly narrow paths the deeper you came. No idea what you were doing either, maybe rescueing people from underground. No idea if there were enemies or not.

So does anyone have an idea?

Is it possible this was called Pitfall? (Not the platformer by the same name, but another game)

I had a game called Pitfall on a really old computer which was basically just guiding a plane down a neverending cavern.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

Captain_duck posted:

Anyway a game ive looked for myself a lot, and asked before in other threads here but havent gotten the correct anwser yet is an old game. It's for one of those old "computer in a keyboard" type computers like the commodore 64 or MSX or any other type. Im sure it wasn't a spectravideo because i had that one myself. The game itself is a helicopter game, you fly a helicopter through a series of caves. I remember there being pretty big maps, and it got pretty tough to get through some parts.

I have no idea if the colors are right, but there were multiple levels like that with increasingly narrow paths the deeper you came. No idea what you were doing either, maybe rescueing people from underground. No idea if there were enemies or not.

So does anyone have an idea?

This is a really long shot, but could it be H.E.R.O?

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

Bieeardo posted:

It sounds like it to me too. Man I loved that game growing up.

Captain_duck
Dec 3, 2005

I swear nice bushes!

Bieeardo posted:

Don't think so, had that anwser before to. It seems similar but it's still different. I think the keyboard comp i played it on had uglier graphics and there were more tunnels on screen.

If only i had an idea which keyboard-comp it was. It must have been some sort of c64 clone, and theres dozens of those things :(.

El Death
Sep 13, 2005
El Death is the worst kind of death!
I've spent many hours searching for the name of this PC game but have failed to find it. It was a 2d quasi-realistic side perspective flying game similar to wings of fury, though set in the present and with the option of selecting a helicopter as well as a plane. It was released in the mid 90's.

I'm not giving much to work with here, but I'd really appreciate any help.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

I have one...

It was in the mid-90's, possibly late 90's as I recall that it fits to the era of 3D-graphic accelerator onmarch. The game itself was a two-player wargame, where each player (green and brown camo) had a base that had turrets and buildings? plus walls which all were destroyable to some degree.

Each player had 4 * 4 vehicles; a helicopter, tank... mine layer? and possibly a jeep. the task was to destroy other players base or something similar, possibly to capture the flag. Game was isometric, possibly pseudo-3D but may have had primitive 3D graphics support... ran on Windows 95 but still was a huge power hogger for the resources at that time. Fun game for LAN evening.

Additionally, I for some reason recall that the game (or demo at least) was on a multi-game CD, which was kinda funny as it had Doom:esque user interface, which loaded on the disk autorun. To select the game you wanted to play you had to move with WASD-control on the "loader level" and walk on the teleport pad of some sorts for the selected game to start.

If anyone can come up with the name for the wargame and give any additional details on the 3D-gamedisk I would appreciate it.

Kammat
Feb 9, 2008
Odd Person

Der Kyhe posted:

I have one...

It was in the mid-90's, possibly late 90's as I recall that it fits to the era of 3D-graphic accelerator onmarch. The game itself was a two-player wargame, where each player (green and brown camo) had a base that had turrets and buildings? plus walls which all were destroyable to some degree.

Each player had 4 * 4 vehicles; a helicopter, tank... mine layer? and possibly a jeep. the task was to destroy other players base or something similar, possibly to capture the flag. Game was isometric, possibly pseudo-3D but may have had primitive 3D graphics support... ran on Windows 95 but still was a huge power hogger for the resources at that time. Fun game for LAN evening.

Additionally, I for some reason recall that the game (or demo at least) was on a multi-game CD, which was kinda funny as it had Doom:esque user interface, which loaded on the disk autorun. To select the game you wanted to play you had to move with WASD-control on the "loader level" and walk on the teleport pad of some sorts for the selected game to start.

If anyone can come up with the name for the wargame and give any additional details on the 3D-gamedisk I would appreciate it.

The war game is definitely either Return Fire or Return Fire 2. Ridiculously fun game even in single player, when one level is three jeeps only, and lotsa landmines between you and the flag.

Fiveace Attorney
Dec 12, 2006

I ain't his friend! If you were to ask me if I was his friend, I would say "NO" to you!

Kammat posted:

The war game is definitely either Return Fire or Return Fire 2. Ridiculously fun game even in single player, when one level is three jeeps only, and lotsa landmines between you and the flag.
Holy poo poo I've been trying to remember the name of this game for years too. Awesome.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Kammat posted:

Yep, definitely Return Fire. Thanks!

Now does anyone have any idea what the 3D-loader interface I mentioned earlier was about? After consulting a friend he said he was pretty sure it may have been some sort of Microsoft Windows 95 multimedia promo...

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
This is going to be rough, it's kind of vague.

It was a DOS based game, I remember playing it around the same time as jetfighter 2, so I'd imagine 91-92.

It came on a 3.5 disk instead of a larger floppy, and it started with an S. It was essentially a tank game, but in a 3d persepctive and everything was rendered in wireframe (white I think).

Fiveace Attorney
Dec 12, 2006

I ain't his friend! If you were to ask me if I was his friend, I would say "NO" to you!

zer0spunk posted:

This is going to be rough, it's kind of vague.

It was a DOS based game, I remember playing it around the same time as jetfighter 2, so I'd imagine 91-92.

It came on a 3.5 disk instead of a larger floppy, and it started with an S. It was essentially a tank game, but in a 3d persepctive and everything was rendered in wireframe (white I think).
Sounds like Spectre

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

SubtleDagger posted:

Sounds like Spectre

You are the man.

I remember it being...nicer? Wow, I feel old right now.

That had honestly been bugging me forever.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

zer0spunk posted:

You are the man.

I remember it being...nicer? Wow, I feel old right now.

That had honestly been bugging me forever.

Try out T-Mek if you want the same experience but improved in every way. That game was crazy in the arcades (had a full cabinet with separate sticks and everything for steering the tank treads independently) and the home ports are pretty much on the money.

SNES Spectre is common and a good conversion also.

Plinth
Nov 28, 2004

Archons of Athens!

El Death posted:

I've spent many hours searching for the name of this PC game but have failed to find it. It was a 2d quasi-realistic side perspective flying game similar to wings of fury, though set in the present and with the option of selecting a helicopter as well as a plane. It was released in the mid 90's.

I'm not giving much to work with here, but I'd really appreciate any help.

Jetstrike?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Neo Rasa posted:

Try out T-Mek if you want the same experience but improved in every way. That game was crazy in the arcades (had a full cabinet with separate sticks and everything for steering the tank treads independently) and the home ports are pretty much on the money.

SNES Spectre is common and a good conversion also.

Spectre VR on CD is the high water mark of Spectre.

GaoGaoStegosaurus
Apr 24, 2008

Social Animal posted:

My friend, I have found it. Destruction Zone: http://www.digitalscores.com/dzone/

Let me know if that's the one. It's a little underwhelming though since it's not exactly how I remembered it. I get the feeling that it might not be the right game but it is.

Well done! I am delighted; the quest has come to an end.

GaoGaoStegosaurus fucked around with this message at 10:40 on Aug 23, 2008

Zeerust
May 1, 2008

They must have guessed, once or twice - guessed and refused to believe - that everything, always, collectively, had been moving toward that purified shape latent in the sky, that shape of no surprise, no second chance, no return.
I've got 2 games I've been curious about for years.

1. was for the Genesis/SNES, a sci-fi sidescrolling shooter. I remember going through a level (possibly the first) and under some kind of condition, your player character gets equipped with a suit of power armour or something that looks kind of like an astronaut suit. Then you go through the level again, but the colour scheme is different and you're more powerful. It's kind of muddled, I'm afraid...

2. Was an arcade game I played years ago. Sidescrolling action game again, and the player characters look like ripoffs of Ryu/Ken from Street Fighter/ characters from DragonBall. It also had a dominant sci-fi theme with lots of really weird organic aliens as enemies.

I think the first boss was two big green things and you had 3 platforms you had to jump down or up to to avoid getting hit by them. Also I rememer levels which are like horizontal space shooters where your guys are flying through space.

Thanks.

secretplot
Apr 20, 2007
That's MISTER Buns to the likes of you.

Frankosity posted:

I've got 2 games I've been curious about for years.

1. was for the Genesis/SNES, a sci-fi sidescrolling shooter. I remember going through a level (possibly the first) and under some kind of condition, your player character gets equipped with a suit of power armour or something that looks kind of like an astronaut suit. Then you go through the level again, but the colour scheme is different and you're more powerful. It's kind of muddled, I'm afraid...

Your game is Keith Courage in Alpha Zone for the TG-16, my friend!

Now then...

There was a game with a monkey with big lips who'd run around shooting fireballs from his mouth.

And another game where you're in the future fighting bad guys and every level starts with the guy saying 'send a maniac to catch one'.

Both were Genesis. HELP!!

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Frankosity posted:

Could be ESWAT: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ESWAT:_City_Under_Siege, first thing that popped into my head.

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

secretplot posted:

There was a game with a monkey with big lips who'd run around shooting fireballs from his mouth.

Toki.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toki_(video_game)
http://www.mobygames.com/game/toki-going-ape-spit

Edit: gently caress you, I have two links.

Chinook fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Aug 23, 2008

Weedle
May 31, 2006

secretplot posted:

Probably Toki: Going Ape Spit.

edit: gently caress you I have a link so I win

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

secretplot posted:

And another game where you're in the future fighting bad guys and every level starts with the guy saying 'send a maniac to catch one'.

Demolition Man: The Game?

Zeerust
May 1, 2008

They must have guessed, once or twice - guessed and refused to believe - that everything, always, collectively, had been moving toward that purified shape latent in the sky, that shape of no surprise, no second chance, no return.

Sakurazuka posted:

Could be ESWAT: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ESWAT:_City_Under_Siege, first thing that popped into my head.

I dob't think that's it. I just played throught the first couple of levels and it doesn't ring any bells.

I remember one of the early bosses was in some kind of factory/facility and the boss was some kind of mech that was a part of the background.

Culinary Bears
Feb 1, 2007

I remember this weird PC point-and-click adventure game that I can't seem to find anything about; I think it might've been called something along the lines of "UFOs"? Anyway, you were this purple one-eyed alien who crash-lands on earth and has to fix his spaceship. You had this remote control with one button it that occasionally did stuff (you could explode sheep at the first screen), and right-clicking would change your cursor into various actions. You had this companion, a duck that you saved out of a bear trap, that was pretty much :psyduck:. At some point it finds a needle in a haystack for you. You use it to pick open a barn door. At another, it starts frenching some ugly woman at a kissing booth and the game switches to a sort of fighting game mode as their tongues battle for a piece of gum or something like that. I also vaguely remember some fatass eating out of a bucket. At the end of the game the duck goes with you. It seems to be in love with you or something. I think it starts kissing you and you crash-land into another planet. Not sure.

...I swear I did not drop acid as a kid. :psyduck:

Culinary Bears fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Aug 24, 2008

MW
May 20, 2001

"Nooooooooo!?"
This is going to be a hard one I think.

All I remember (clearly) is that the view was other top-down or slightly tilted. From the screen you started (possibly dropped off by a helicopter) there was only one way to go, up. From the next screen, I seem to recall right being the only way to go, most likely the screens scrolled as you got to the edge, like the first Zelda.

As for gameplay, I have always remembered it like you had to remove obstacles (like Bomberman) but it doesn't really make sense. Do not recall any kind of enemies.

I want to say that this is for NES, but I think I went through pretty much every game released here a few years ago trying to find it with an emulator. If it was not NES, it must have been either Genesis, C64 or Amiga (this was before SNES) as those were the only consoles I recall playing. But thinking about it, it should not be Amiga and the graphics were probably too advanced for C64 and I don't remember knowing anyone with a Genesis anyway.

Krolm
Nov 10, 2004

friendly and non-threatening

Bleak Gremlin

Goddamn posted:

I remember this weird PC point-and-click adventure game that I can't seem to find anything about; I think it might've been called something along the lines of "UFOs"? Anyway, you were this purple one-eyed alien who crash-lands on earth and has to fix his spaceship. You had this remote control with one button it that occasionally did stuff (you could explode sheep at the first screen), and right-clicking would change your cursor into various actions. You had this companion, a duck that you saved out of a bear trap, that was pretty much :psyduck:. At some point it finds a needle in a haystack for you. You use it to pick open a barn door. At another, it starts frenching some ugly woman at a kissing booth and the game switches to a sort of fighting game mode as their tongues battle for a piece of gum or something like that. I also vaguely remember some fatass eating out of a bucket. At the end of the game the duck goes with you. It seems to be in love with you or something. I think it starts kissing you and you crash-land into another planet. Not sure.

...I swear I did not drop acid as a kid. :psyduck:

I remember this one :)
It is in fact called "UFOs" like you said, and you can get it on the Underdogs here

Krolm fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Aug 24, 2008

Culinary Bears
Feb 1, 2007

:doh: Well, it's a hard term to google. Thanks!

Grave Centipede
Apr 19, 2007
"But how can I put my lion's head in the lion's mouth? That act is ruined!"

Strontosaurus posted:

N64 3D fighting game with some very interesting characters. There was, like, a dwarf with a mech made out of barrels and some huge skeleton dude. I want to say that the game started with "R".

its Mace:The Dark Age
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mace:_The_Dark_Age

Jostiband
May 7, 2007

Pocket Billiards posted:

I've got a vague one. I'm fairly certain it was on an Amstrad PC and had a single word title. You were a guy in space suit with a helmet that looked similar to the Marines in Warhammer 40k, and you explored what I think was a large abandoned space ship. Kind of like Metroid, but much slower paced and not really any shooting I could recall.

Since you didn't answer to the last suggestion, I'm going to assume that wasn't what you were looking for. When people go around talking about Space Marines in large abandoned spaceships they're generally referring to one of the Space Hulk games.

Was never released on the Amstrad though, so that's probably not it. However a different 40K boardgame did get Amstraded. Not very Metroidy at all, and two-word title, but could it have been Space Crusade?

booker
Mar 30, 2008

Inside Animal Minds
I have a very vague memory of seeing this game at a software etc. around 1998/9 and wanting to buy it but not having enough money at the time:

I believe it was some kind of fantasy TBS game like heroes of might and magic, but there were different tilesets/areas, one of which was called 'wizard' or 'sorcerer' and had multicolored checkerboard landscapes and mushroom towers. Can anyone help me out? I've always wanted to track it down and play it.

Ovenmaster
Feb 22, 2006
I am the master of ovens for some reason.
I remember playing a game on amiga. It was in Roman times, and you were a gladiator. The game started with you in prison after which someone would come get you and you'd fight these opponents in a pretty basic fighting system from a side perspective.

The fights were pretty slow paced but it was also incredibly brutal (you could die in one hit if I remember correctly). The third or fourth fight or thereabout was against an eagle, and in the later stages there was a kind of scrolling screen thing with arrows coming towards you from the right.

jonypawks
Dec 1, 2003

"Why didn't you tell me you were the real Snake?" -- Ken
Sorry for the Page 1 reply.

kuffs posted:

I played a sidescroller for SNES that featured a woodpecker that could accelerate to rocket speeds. The goal of each level was to pop 4 balloons and *probably* find some end zone.

I think you're thinking of Super Alfred Chicken.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yJWvf8zGbcA

Niymeh
Sep 11, 2001

"It's very cold, my friend. Very dark, and very cold."
I have two games I'd like to know the names of, we used to play them at school - they were (I THINK) on the Acorn, (I seem to recall its OS being RISC or something?) - This is back in the early 90s.

The first was where you controlled some mad scientist whose experiments had gone awry and you had to try and stop them and collect... spanners? Pieces of equipment? I can't remember. But it was very cartoony and upbeat.

The second I will LOVE the person who names it. This has bothered me for over a decade. It's mainly a text based game with one of those crappy text images above it, where each of the characters you meet had names like Yeknod, Nibbog or Nogard, and the animal that their names spelt backwards told you if they were a good guy or bad.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
I'm trying to remember the name of what I think is a pretty obscure game. Here's what I remember about it: in the opening there is a cutscene (which I think was a video) where you're being dropped off by a helicopter into a complex outside of a sealed dome(?) covering part of a city. The rest of the city is in ruins due to some kind of apocalyptic event but apparently the dome is a paradise or whatever and you need to get into it for some reason I don't remember.

The actual game is played from a top-down perspective. It's a shooter with some RPG elements (like items (melee weapons, guns, grenades, armor, etc.) you can pick up and equip(?)). I can only remember two types of enemies, mutants and armed forces (possibly a private security force?), but there were many more. Two levels I specifically remember from the game were a prison/mental asylum(?) and a sewer level, but again there were many more I can only vaguely recall. The game was very open ended. I remember being able to basically go anywhere in the city (except the domed area), although I didn't get very far into most of them before dying.

The game was either for DOS or Windows and I think it came on CD-ROM and was released sometime in the mid to late 90's (although I can't rule out the early 2000's). I remember trying to look up a guide for the game online when I first played it but at the time my Internet searching skills weren't great and I don't remember finding much info on it. Anyone have any idea which game I'm talking about?

Mr.Radar fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Aug 31, 2008

Grawl
Aug 28, 2008

Do the D.A.N.C.E
1234, fight!
Stick to the B.E.A.T
Get ready to ignite
You were such a P.Y.T
Catching all the lights
Just easy as A.B.C
That's how we make it right
There was this adventure game that I had as shareware DOS game. It was made entirely out of clay (if I remember correctly). You played as a dragon, but I think that was just the demo and they were other stories with other characters. All I remember was that there was a house with a gingerbread man that you could visit by boat.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

Mr.Radar posted:

I'm trying to remember the name of what I think is a pretty obscure game. Here's what I remember about it: in the opening there is a cutscene (which I think was a video) where you're being dropped off by a helicopter into a complex outside of a sealed dome(?) covering part of a city. The rest of the city is in ruins due to some kind of apocalyptic event but apparently the dome is a paradise or whatever and you need to get into it for some reason I don't remember.

The actual game is played from a top-down perspective. It's a shooter with some RPG elements (like items (melee weapons, guns, grenades, armor, etc.) you can pick up and equip(?)). I can only remember two types of enemies, mutants and armed forces (possibly a private security force?), but there were many more. Two levels I specifically remember from the game were a prison/mental asylum(?) and a sewer level, but again there were many more I can only vaguely recall. The game was very open ended. I remember being able to basically go anywhere in the city (except the domed area), although I didn't get very far into most of them before dying.

The game was either for DOS or Windows and I think it came on CD-ROM and was released sometime in the mid to late 90's (although I can't rule out the early 2000's). I remember trying to look up a guide for the game online when I first played it but at the time my Internet searching skills weren't great and I don't remember finding much info on it. Anyone have any idea which game I'm talking about?

I remember playing a shareware version of that game. Molotov cocktails were another of the weapons you could get. An important note is that the enemies attacked in pretty huge mobs. I'd like to know the name of the game too.

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction

jonypawks posted:

Sorry for the Page 1 reply.

I think you're thinking of Super Alfred Chicken.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yJWvf8zGbcA

So, I went and played this game again.

I had bad taste in games as a kid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krolm
Nov 10, 2004

friendly and non-threatening

Bleak Gremlin

Grawl posted:

There was this adventure game that I had as shareware DOS game. It was made entirely out of clay (if I remember correctly). You played as a dragon, but I think that was just the demo and they were other stories with other characters. All I remember was that there was a house with a gingerbread man that you could visit by boat.

I'm not 100% sure but I think it might be Kingdom O' Magic. It has a green lizard character, looks semi-clay-ey and I distinctively remember something involving a gingerbread man!

I actually have this game, it came in this awesome book shaped cd-box.