Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Diamond Back
Jul 8, 2005

You dont always have to fuck her hard....
me and my sister where talking about an old game we had on windows 95 I think. It was a side scroller with a mage who shot lightning, I wish I could remember more, but that's all I got.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

Diamond Back posted:

me and my sister where talking about an old game we had on windows 95 I think. It was a side scroller with a mage who shot lightning, I wish I could remember more, but that's all I got.

Hocus Pocus:
http://www.3drealms.com/hocus/

I bet it's on Underdogs. Not sure, though.

Srebrenica Surprise
Aug 23, 2008

"L-O-V-E's just another word I never learned to pronounce."
Old MS-DOS (I think, could have been Win 3.1 etc) 3D cockpit space shooter. May have had wingmen. Had 10 weapons bound to the number keys: a few of them were reminiscent of Star Wars/Star Trek stuff like 'Photon Torpedoes' (think those were on key 3). The final level involved you flying into a large superstructure, that was a giant sphere with small gaps in between (think a giant rubber band ball except made of space metal).

That game sucked up a lot of my childhood and I'd give anything to play it again.

Culex
Jul 22, 2007

Crime sucks.
Two games on the same system. Apple II. I don't remember which version, sorry. Games probably came out from 1985 or later, likely not actually later than 1991, though. (I played it contemporarily with GATO, ALF: The First Adventure, and Summer Games II.)

One, you played as a small robot who hopped around. I believe you could shoot things from your front. You looked like a hamburger with legs perhaps? Side-scrolling platformer. You had to progress to a little door or gate on each level.

Two, it is not much of a game, there were no goals. You 'bought' furniture from a store (no currency was used) and put it in a mansion. The mansion was purely 2D. Incredibly crude-looking. May be a very early game. You could only take items of a certain pixel size; couches or chandeliers or such that were huge would be split into pieces which you would have to manually match up. As a little one I always called it "Grandma's House" which is not the actual name. It is not "Little Computer People."

ZentraediElite
Oct 22, 2002

There was a game I used to play that was on virtualarcade.com. I remember the page had an orange background. It was a vertical scrolling space shooter that was overall pretty basic. Does anybody know this one? It's killing me.

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007

Jostiband posted:

Since you didn't answer to the last suggestion, I'm going to assume that wasn't what you were looking for. When people go around talking about Space Marines in large abandoned spaceships they're generally referring to one of the Space Hulk games.

Was never released on the Amstrad though, so that's probably not it. However a different 40K boardgame did get Amstraded. Not very Metroidy at all, and two-word title, but could it have been Space Crusade?

The only thing that resembled WH40K, was the guys helmet which looked like the Spacemarines one. It predated that Space Crusade game by about 6 years I'd say. Definitely not an isometric squad game, but a 2D scrolling game.

Grawl
Aug 28, 2008

Do the D.A.N.C.E
1234, fight!
Stick to the B.E.A.T
Get ready to ignite
You were such a P.Y.T
Catching all the lights
Just easy as A.B.C
That's how we make it right

Krolm posted:

I'm not 100% sure but I think it might be Kingdom O' Magic. It has a green lizard character, looks semi-clay-ey and I distinctively remember something involving a gingerbread man!

I actually have this game, it came in this awesome book shaped cd-box.

I think that is it. Thanks a lot. Now begins my hunt for this game.

Zexerous
May 5, 2006

No Alibi. No Justice. No Dream. No Club.

Frankosity posted:

I've got 2 games I've been curious about for years.

2. Was an arcade game I played years ago. Sidescrolling action game again, and the player characters look like ripoffs of Ryu/Ken from Street Fighter/ characters from DragonBall. It also had a dominant sci-fi theme with lots of really weird organic aliens as enemies.

This might be Street Fighter 2010: The Final Fight. It featured "Ken" and had just exactly what you're talking about, bioorganic aliens and whatnot. It was a pretty fun game.

Diamond Back
Jul 8, 2005

You dont always have to fuck her hard....

Chinook posted:

Hocus Pocus:
http://www.3drealms.com/hocus/

I bet it's on Underdogs. Not sure, though.

Awesome man, thanks.

Endless-Rain
Nov 25, 2004
I am happy if you have enjoyed!
There was an adventure game, similar in style to Monkey Island and all that, where you were in a bedroom and had to move a matress to get to the floor below.

Probably something really obvious but I never actually bothered to investigate it myself.

Kenzo
Jun 29, 2004

Tekseta!
I've been looking for an old genises game. The game started off with you in this huge mech that looked kind of like castle tower. You were fighting this other mech castle tower thing which was the end boss to the game I guess. Anyway no matter what you would lose the fight and have to run around a castle. Pretty standard platform game. I THINK the character was a rat humanoid type thing. For the life of me I can't remember anything else on this game.

Quid
Jul 19, 2006
I'm looking for an old computer game I used to play in school. I'm not even sure which type of computer it was on. It was a halloween trick-or-treating game that played sort of like a choose-you-own adventure book.

The screen would display a house and you had options to knock on the door or play a trick (maybe other options that I don't remember). Tricks went as far as one option to blow up the house, there were rumors of the one kid who actually got that trick to work once when no one else was around but personally I think it always resulted in you going to jail. I also remember occasionally coming across an alien spaceship rather than a house, one result was being kidnapped and thrown into a zoo on their planet. I don't remember much else about the game.

Help me prove I'm not just dreaming this up and the game actually exists. My friends don't remember it and I'm not completely sure I didn't dream it up. I would swear this game actually existed, but google has nothing even remotely similar.

If it helps, from what I can remember about the computer, it was usually used in class to dick around with a little turtle cursor that could move forward, backward, etc. I remember playing O'dell Lake, Carmen Sandiego and Oregon trail in the class. I think those were played on a different computer than this game I'm looking for but it's been years so who knows.

Panic Restaurant
Jul 19, 2006

:retrogames: :3: :retrogames:

Pork Pro

Rikimaru posted:

I've been looking for an old genises game. The game started off with you in this huge mech that looked kind of like castle tower. You were fighting this other mech castle tower thing which was the end boss to the game I guess. Anyway no matter what you would lose the fight and have to run around a castle. Pretty standard platform game. I THINK the character was a rat humanoid type thing. For the life of me I can't remember anything else on this game.

Sparkster, maybe?

nemotrm
Dec 5, 2003
Not really a game, but I am trying to remember the name of the online flash quiz thing that you could choose countries or landmarks or rivers or flags and you had to name them or where they are located.

Kenzo
Jun 29, 2004

Tekseta!

Panic Restaurant posted:

Sparkster, maybe?

Yes! You are awesome! Thank you!!!

Culex
Jul 22, 2007

Crime sucks.

Rikimaru posted:

Sparkster is the sequel (of sorts?) to Rocket Knight Adventures; if you liked Sparkster you may like RKA too! (I love them both) (Also you are a possum in it)

The Fifteenth Pen
Jun 2, 2006
Yes.

Rikimaru posted:

That was actually the sequel to Rocket Knight Adventures, which I can't recommend highly enough. It was IMO the best game on the Genesis. The gameplay mechanics worked perfectly, and it was really challenging without hitting you with cheap shots. It had really awesome music, too. Unfortunately, I didn't think the sequel was anywhere near as good. Felt pretty bland by comparison. The SNES Sparkster, which is actually a completely different game, is pretty sweet, though.

Noby Goatse Boy
Mar 16, 2005

by Tiny Fistpump
I agree RKA was a tight game definitely check it out.

Modern Day Hercules
Apr 26, 2008
This game was one of the early Nintendo 64 games. I remember renting it when the local video store still had Super Nintendo and Sega Genesis games on the shelves. Basically you controlled these robots that were kind of like construction vehicles. I think some of them might have transformed, some of them didn't. Not too sure on the actual premise of the game though.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

zephialx posted:

This game was one of the early Nintendo 64 games. I remember renting it when the local video store still had Super Nintendo and Sega Genesis games on the shelves. Basically you controlled these robots that were kind of like construction vehicles. I think some of them might have transformed, some of them didn't. Not too sure on the actual premise of the game though.

Blast Corps?

Modern Day Hercules
Apr 26, 2008

Rock Tumbler posted:

Blast Corps?

Yep that would be the one, now to find a copy on ebay.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.

Endless-Rain posted:

There was an adventure game, similar in style to Monkey Island and all that, where you were in a bedroom and had to move a matress to get to the floor below.

Probably something really obvious but I never actually bothered to investigate it myself.

I think that's the opening puzzle in:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flight_of_the_Amazon_Queen

northerain
Apr 8, 2007

by Tiny Fistpump
I remember playing a game on the PC around 1998 or so(I think). It was a top down pseudo strategy game (kinda like Commandos) and it was about pulling off a sucessful Heist or something like that.
It crashed a lot so I never managed to play much. I thought it was called Heist, but google turns up Hei$t, a game in production now.

Saint Septimus
Dec 9, 2005

northerain posted:

I remember playing a game on the PC around 1998 or so(I think). It was a top down pseudo strategy game (kinda like Commandos) and it was about pulling off a sucessful Heist or something like that.
It crashed a lot so I never managed to play much. I thought it was called Heist, but google turns up Hei$t, a game in production now.

Might be "The Clue!" aka "Der Clou!" which has a Win32 port here. DOS version at HOTU here.

bigman.50grand
Mar 31, 2007
no

Srebrenica Surprise posted:

Old MS-DOS (I think, could have been Win 3.1 etc) 3D cockpit space shooter. May have had wingmen. Had 10 weapons bound to the number keys: a few of them were reminiscent of Star Wars/Star Trek stuff like 'Photon Torpedoes' (think those were on key 3). The final level involved you flying into a large superstructure, that was a giant sphere with small gaps in between (think a giant rubber band ball except made of space metal).

That game sucked up a lot of my childhood and I'd give anything to play it again.

Wing Commander maybe?

Tyrion
Aug 30, 2005

There was a game for C64 or Amiga where you flew a triangular ship in a cave, 2D. You were supposed to fly around (with gravity) and pick up stuff. I think you could land at bases and pick up fuel too. Then there was a time attack mode where you had to fly around a track a few laps before landing.

Also, the game had a sequel which was definitely for Amiga.

Mockup:

Srebrenica Surprise
Aug 23, 2008

bigman.50grand posted:

Wing Commander maybe?

Nope, tried that already. Unless I am grossly misremembering, there was little to no plot and ground missions, and the UI doesn't seem familiar. Thanks though.

Endless-Rain
Nov 25, 2004
I am happy if you have enjoyed!

Abugadu posted:

I think that's the opening puzzle in:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flight_of_the_Amazon_Queen

Thanks for this, the voice acting is loving hilarious.

frowning
Aug 10, 2005

The Dire and Ever Circling Wolves

Tyrion posted:

There was a game for C64 or Amiga where you flew a triangular ship in a cave, 2D. You were supposed to fly around (with gravity) and pick up stuff. I think you could land at bases and pick up fuel too. Then there was a time attack mode where you had to fly around a track a few laps before landing.

Also, the game had a sequel which was definitely for Amiga.

Mockup:

That's not Thrust is it? Or Exile??

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
It reminds me more of Solar Jet Man or the Cybernoid games. Even if it's not those games are worth checking out for a similar kind of feel.

Tyrion
Aug 30, 2005

frowning posted:

That's not Thrust is it? Or Exile??

Ahh thanks, it wasn't either of them but on the wikipedia article about Thrust there was a link to it (under clones).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gravity_Force

SereneCrimson
Oct 10, 2007

I am the morning sun, come to vanquish this horrible night!
I remember picking this one PC "game" up quite a while ago, I'm guessing 1997 or so (It was a Windows 95 game I'm sure)

Its a Movie Maker, and it was all 2D cartoons.
It had voice acting, in the old "Type stuff in and have a robotic voice say it back" style, but there was a feminine version, a male version, tons of various "voice" styles.

There was a whole bunch of characters, and they had tons of poses (I believe you could animate the scenes, to go along with the voice acting)

Depending on the Scenery and Characters you picked, you could press a button that would generate a random plot using that background and those names.

I want to say that it had "Movie Maker" or something in the title, but I honestly don't remember anything about the boxart, or title. Just spending hours making cartoons with this thing.

Declarative
Jun 15, 2008

MW posted:

This is going to be a hard one I think.

All I remember (clearly) is that the view was other top-down or slightly tilted. From the screen you started (possibly dropped off by a helicopter) there was only one way to go, up. From the next screen, I seem to recall right being the only way to go, most likely the screens scrolled as you got to the edge, like the first Zelda.

As for gameplay, I have always remembered it like you had to remove obstacles (like Bomberman) but it doesn't really make sense. Do not recall any kind of enemies.

I want to say that this is for NES, but I think I went through pretty much every game released here a few years ago trying to find it with an emulator. If it was not NES, it must have been either Genesis, C64 or Amiga (this was before SNES) as those were the only consoles I recall playing. But thinking about it, it should not be Amiga and the graphics were probably too advanced for C64 and I don't remember knowing anyone with a Genesis anyway.

Could it be... Robowarrior?

http://www.mobygames.com/game/nes/robowarrior/screenshots/gameShotId,87068/

My cousin had this and we could never get past the first few screens. It apparently IS tangentially related to Bomberman.

SoupyTwist
Feb 20, 2008

Srebrenica Surprise posted:

Terminal Velocity? Descent?

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

'n suddenly there was a terrible roar all around us 'n the sky was full of what looked like 'uge bats, all swooping 'n screeching 'n divin' around the ute.

AnotherBodak posted:

A text adventure game, free (or shareware, fairly certain it was free though) to download from an internet site.

Name was possibly of the "something" of "something" format.

From the first screen there was a bar/pub. Inside, you could play darts, or recruit a retard (literally) to follow you and serve as a henchman.

Heading north, there was a castle, with a drawn drawbridge, guarded by vampires.

The game used multicoloured text.

The only text adventure I can think of with a "_____ of _____" naming convention would be Guild of Thieves, but I'm not really that familiar with it, so I can't say if your description fits it.

airspiritx posted:

When I was 6 or so I played a platformer on the SNES where you were caveman or similar who had to save a princess/his girlfriend; you got different-colored armor (maybe weapons too?) as you went and the gold armor was best. Any ideas?

Funny story about this game: I was borrowing it from a friend when I played it and it taught me what the word "delete" meant. Oops.

This could possibly be Leander (which was known as Galahad's Quest, or something like it, on the SNES), though you weren't a caveman by any stretch of the imagination in that (but as you said, you wore armor). The Amiga original is one of my favorites, so even if this isn't what you were looking for, it's worth checking out, if only for the great music.

Captain_duck posted:

Anyway a game ive looked for myself a lot, and asked before in other threads here but havent gotten the correct anwser yet is an old game. It's for one of those old "computer in a keyboard" type computers like the commodore 64 or MSX or any other type. Im sure it wasn't a spectravideo because i had that one myself. The game itself is a helicopter game, you fly a helicopter through a series of caves. I remember there being pretty big maps, and it got pretty tough to get through some parts.

This kind of reminds me of the C64 version of the Airwolf game, if that's any help.
I know there was another game in the same vein by reLine for the Amiga, but I'll be damned if I can remember it's name.

RobotJox
Sep 4, 2008
I'm trying to remember this PC (windows) game from the late 90s....

It was a top-down shooter where your spaceship would fly around in an infinite space (almost like asteroids) shooting enemy ships which hijack actual files on your computer (represented as windows icons). Once you destroy an enemy you would "rescue" a file by collecting it. Each level was a different directory on your actual PC which you must rescue from an attacking virus (I think). I think the title of the game also involved the word "virus" but I'm not 100% sure.

I have a feeling that it didn't hold up too well over the years, but it would be great to remember this addictive time-waster.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
Ok not a game, but about them. Instead of opening a new thread I figured I'd ask here about the webstie (I believe it was goon-ran) that you could DL game music from. I just beat Beyond Good and Evil I there are a few tracks from the game that I want bad.

The Fifteenth Pen
Jun 2, 2006
Yes.
Not getting my hopes up, but I vaguely remember this arcade game in about the early '90s that had this green living planetoid thing with like... a trunk, and it and the accompanying music creeped me out big time as a kid. I _think_ the gameplay was similar to Asteroids. I do know it's in space. (I know, that doesn't really narrow it down.)

KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? Just put your lips together and blow...

This was a game I played on an old mac in the early to mid '90s. The mac was black and white and I think the screen was maaaybe 12". We didn't even have internet yet at our house but some how I got a hold of this point and click style game. You are a private detective and I don't really recall what your goal was. Here are the parts I remember, a restaurant that was either named Red Herring or served it, I believe was able to use the term 'Red Herring' as a password when I broke into a computer, there was a part you could use binoculars and looking some chicks bathroom and pull open the curtain. The place I lost it at was I went into a bar and I had to give the bouncer a password and if I was wrong he'd shoot me.

Does this sound familiar to anyone?

KilGrey fucked around with this message at 09:46 on Sep 9, 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Srebrenica Surprise
Aug 23, 2008

SoupyTwist posted:

Terminal Velocity?

Terminal Velocity looks right, especially the final stage. I'll check it out, thanks :)