Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TXT BOOTY7 2 47474
Jan 12, 2006

eat your vegetables dot com
When I was 6 or so I played a platformer on the SNES where you were caveman or similar who had to save a princess/his girlfriend; you got different-colored armor (maybe weapons too?) as you went and the gold armor was best. Any ideas?

Funny story about this game: I was borrowing it from a friend when I played it and it taught me what the word "delete" meant. Oops.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

midge posted:

I'm not sure if you are saying the answer was right or not. Your comment implies it was the wrong answer but looked like a rip off of the game you actually wanted.

It is Soccer Kid? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Czw_VPXA_bE&feature=related

The games have the same ball because that was the colours of a match ball for years beforehand.

Huh? I thought the other guy was looking for Soccer Kid and I didn't know that this one existed.

Shugyousha
Sep 24, 2007
Just (s)trolling by...
I have one game title, I just can't seem to remember too, though my description may be too vague to get more than a general impression...

It was a 2D PC action game from around 2000 in which there were two characters (at least these are the only ones I remember), a human (in a blue suit?) and a brown colored beast. Im not really sure about the single player (or if there even was one...) but in the 2 player MP (simultaneous on one PC) one player had control over the human and the other one over the beast both trying to kill the opponent by taking advantage of the not too large, not very colorful (mostly grey?) 2D plattform environment and a weapon arsenal, which offered multiple weapon choices like explosives, guns and some sort of throwing knives (of which I seem to have the most vivid memory).

The game popped into my head after seeing the Bionic Commando: Rearmed release Trailer, but the title I can't remember for the life of me... (oh, and it's not Black Thorne. The visual and the gaming style are quite different...)

Please help! :supaburn:

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

Shugyousha posted:

I have one game title, I just can't seem to remember too, though my description may be too vague to get more than a general impression...

It was a 2D PC action game from around 2000 in which there were two characters (at least these are the only ones I remember), a human (in a blue suit?) and a brown colored beast. Im not really sure about the single player (or if there even was one...) but in the 2 player MP (simultaneous on one PC) one player had control over the human and the other one over the beast both trying to kill the opponent by taking advantage of the not too large, not very colorful (mostly grey?) 2D plattform environment and a weapon arsenal, which offered multiple weapon choices like explosives, guns and some sort of throwing knives (of which I seem to have the most vivid memory).

The game popped into my head after seeing the Bionic Commando: Rearmed release Trailer, but the title I can't remember for the life of me... (oh, and it's not Black Thorne. The visual and the gaming style are quite different...)

Please help! :supaburn:

That sounds like Hunter Hunted by Sierra.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008
Mine is a Win95 game where you flew around as a UFO and had to abduct cows. But if you abducted a cow that was acting funny, it turned out to be a mad cow and damaged you. Also farmers would try to shoot you down if you got too close to them.

I really wish I could remember more about that game. That computer lab was also the one that introduced me to a game with a level designer, which I also wonder about, but I only remember that it was set in a jungle, which isn't enough to identify it.

I Know the Answer to That
Jan 26, 2005
I'm a caring potato.
i remember playing a game many years ago on the SNES. you were firefighters and the game was set in this one building that was on fire and you basically went through floor by floor putting the fire out. you controlled 2 people one had the water (male) and a chick was following you around with a fireaxe and would chop doors down and stuff.

you had these wierd grenades too that would just spew out the stuff from fire extinguishers you could use too. i remember what the box art looks like but i cant remember the game for the life of me

Krolm
Nov 10, 2004

friendly and non-threatening

Bleak Gremlin

I Know the Answer to That posted:

i remember playing a game many years ago on the SNES. you were firefighters and the game was set in this one building that was on fire and you basically went through floor by floor putting the fire out. you controlled 2 people one had the water (male) and a chick was following you around with a fireaxe and would chop doors down and stuff.

you had these wierd grenades too that would just spew out the stuff from fire extinguishers you could use too. i remember what the box art looks like but i cant remember the game for the life of me

Possibly The Firemen :v:

Likely spoilery youtube video

I Know the Answer to That
Jan 26, 2005
I'm a caring potato.

Krolm posted:

Possibly The Firemen :v:

Likely spoilery youtube video

ahhh gently caress yes thanks so much!! that's the game exactly it was so fun

Rudger
Feb 20, 2006

i will mess you up

airspiritx posted:

When I was 6 or so I played a platformer on the SNES where you were caveman or similar who had to save a princess/his girlfriend; you got different-colored armor (maybe weapons too?) as you went and the gold armor was best. Any ideas?

Funny story about this game: I was borrowing it from a friend when I played it and it taught me what the word "delete" meant. Oops.

Er, I *think* that you're thinking about Super Ghouls N Ghosts with the Princess and the different colored armor...

Captain_duck
Dec 3, 2005

I swear nice bushes!

Rudger posted:

Er, I *think* that you're thinking about Super Ghouls N Ghosts with the Princess and the different colored armor...

Sort of sounds like SGNG yeah, allthough there's no deleting any stuff like savegames in that. Anyway check out my old LP of this : http://video.google.nl/videoplay?docid=-3339339781343944391 , is it that game?

Anyway a game ive looked for myself a lot, and asked before in other threads here but havent gotten the correct anwser yet is an old game. It's for one of those old "computer in a keyboard" type computers like the commodore 64 or MSX or any other type. Im sure it wasn't a spectravideo because i had that one myself. The game itself is a helicopter game, you fly a helicopter through a series of caves. I remember there being pretty big maps, and it got pretty tough to get through some parts.

Here's a little mockup that i made from memory:

I have no idea if the colors are right, but there were multiple levels like that with increasingly narrow paths the deeper you came. No idea what you were doing either, maybe rescueing people from underground. No idea if there were enemies or not.

So does anyone have an idea?

Catellite
Apr 29, 2008

If <waves arm expansively> was legalized.

Shyrka posted:

Probably a longshot, but I'd love to find this game again.

It was an arcade side scrolling platform shooter where upon starting you were given the choice of four planets to start from, and you played some sort of dude that looked a bit like Samus and ran across the planets shooting aliens/robots. After you finished the platform shooting segment, you'd then get into a spaceship and have to complete a gradius style shooter level before you went back to the planet select screen and did it all over again.

Would've been around in the late 80s, possibly early 90s.

I think this could be Xain'd Sleena.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GE96Fo0P6iI

^^That sounds like Fort Apocalypse^^

Catellite fucked around with this message at 13:44 on Aug 15, 2008

Lizion
Nov 23, 2002

Roll, Mega Man, ROLL!

Captain_duck posted:

Anyway a game ive looked for myself a lot, and asked before in other threads here but havent gotten the correct anwser yet is an old game. It's for one of those old "computer in a keyboard" type computers like the commodore 64 or MSX or any other type. Im sure it wasn't a spectravideo because i had that one myself. The game itself is a helicopter game, you fly a helicopter through a series of caves. I remember there being pretty big maps, and it got pretty tough to get through some parts.

I have no idea if the colors are right, but there were multiple levels like that with increasingly narrow paths the deeper you came. No idea what you were doing either, maybe rescueing people from underground. No idea if there were enemies or not.

Might be Fort Apocalypse. You can't see it on that screenshot, but you could fly underground through maze-like tunnels and rescue people.

Captain_duck
Dec 3, 2005

I swear nice bushes!

Lizion posted:

Might be Fort Apocalypse. You can't see it on that screenshot, but you could fly underground through maze-like tunnels and rescue people.

Thats the anwser i got last time to but i dont think thats it, i just watched a vid on google video. I think the game was uglier and the levels were simpler, with all the lines and levels like in the picture, and no fancy traps like that.

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

You're a fucking cocksucker, Jonathan
This game was kind of like worms but with planets and spaceships. You chose your weapon and chose the trajectory and fired.

Each player was situated on a planet and the larger the planet, the stronger the gravitational field. You also had shields you could configure and this game had a weapon editor.

I actually found this game for a while but I've since forgotten the name yet again.

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

Small Boss likes to spin!

Catellite posted:

I think this could be Xain'd Sleena.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GE96Fo0P6iI

^^That sounds like Fort Apocalypse^^

Oh hells yes, that is it. Thank you so much!

abraxas
Apr 6, 2004

"It's a Yuletide!"

I have a pretty easy one. I distinctly remember a FPS game on the PC (might have gotten console ports of some sort) from a few years back that had "realistic" smoke physics. Like if there was a pillar of smoke emitting from somewhere and you shot through it with a rocket/machinegun it would twirl and react realistically.

At first I thought this was Unreal 2 but after replaying that it apparently wasn't. Someone else suggested that it was Quake 4 and I've reinstalled that also but haven't really run into any of that fancy smoke/particle stuff. Does anyone know what I'm talking about? It's a few years old by now and I'm betting I remember it much more awesome than it actually was.

Captain_duck
Dec 3, 2005

I swear nice bushes!

abraxas posted:

I have a pretty easy one. I distinctly remember a FPS game on the PC (might have gotten console ports of some sort) from a few years back that had "realistic" smoke physics. Like if there was a pillar of smoke emitting from somewhere and you shot through it with a rocket/machinegun it would twirl and react realistically.

At first I thought this was Unreal 2 but after replaying that it apparently wasn't. Someone else suggested that it was Quake 4 and I've reinstalled that also but haven't really run into any of that fancy smoke/particle stuff. Does anyone know what I'm talking about? It's a few years old by now and I'm betting I remember it much more awesome than it actually was.

If i remember right Unreal Tournament 2 had those smoke physics, not just unreal 2.

Captain_duck fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Aug 15, 2008

One Armed Man
Nov 4, 2007
Notice the lack of a hyphen.
This one is from way back in my childhood. On the SNES, there was a game where you started off as a little guy wandering around a happy little town and inside one of the houses was a boss. You might have had magic or something. It wasn't isometric; it wasn't Earthbound; it wasn't turn based; it wasn't zombies ate my neighbors. This may be a really big longshot.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

airspiritx posted:

I'm pretty sure this is Super Adventure Island 2 which unlike the other games had some RPG/adventure elements.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

Arcsech posted:

Mine is a Win95 game where you flew around as a UFO and had to abduct cows. But if you abducted a cow that was acting funny, it turned out to be a mad cow and damaged you. Also farmers would try to shoot you down if you got too close to them.

I really wish I could remember more about that game. That computer lab was also the one that introduced me to a game with a level designer, which I also wonder about, but I only remember that it was set in a jungle, which isn't enough to identify it.

Crop Circles: Escape from Planet Three

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

quote:

This one is from way back in my childhood. On the SNES, there was a game where you started off as a little guy wandering around a happy little town and inside one of the houses was a boss. You might have had magic or something. It wasn't isometric; it wasn't Earthbound; it wasn't turn based; it wasn't zombies ate my neighbors. This may be a really big longshot.

Paladin's Quest maybe?

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Captain_duck posted:

Sort of sounds like SGNG yeah, allthough there's no deleting any stuff like savegames in that. Anyway check out my old LP of this : http://video.google.nl/videoplay?docid=-3339339781343944391 , is it that game?

Choplifter? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MqoaAk8ucPk

Doom Guy
Jun 17, 2005

iddqd
This game had to be when I was about 7, It was a Mickey Mouse side scroller for the pc and you basically just did whatever you wanted you could call up Donald or Minnie and just hang out, I vaguely remember you being in his house for a lot of it.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

Bieeardo posted:

Crop Circles: Escape from Planet Three

YES! Thank you so much, I've wondered about that for quite some time.

One Armed Man
Nov 4, 2007
Notice the lack of a hyphen.

chairface posted:

Paladin's Quest maybe?

No, the game was more cartoony and modern day. It was not a turn-based RPG. It probably wasn't that great. It was not Secret of... game either, if that question comes up.

Irascalopolator
Jun 17, 2003

One Armed Man posted:

Lagoon?

PS: Lagoon kinda sucked

Pheener
Jun 7, 2003

Extraordinary!

abraxas posted:

As Captain Duck said, this was UT2k4, and only in certain maps. It looks pretty cool, though.

Spockly posted:

Years ago I played a demo of some roguelike on a mac addict cd. I've been searching all over for it and haven't been able to locate it. I remember a tower that you had to go in that was filled up with spiders behind a wall.

This could be Taskmaker, or maybe even Exile. Most likely, though, it's Realmz. Or a couple of other things, really... are you sure it was a normal roguelike? Most of those have all been ported to other systems.

GaoGaoStegosaurus
Apr 24, 2008

Social Animal posted:

The game was set in like a pacman style maze. You moved a triangle around that shot bullets and you fought against another triangle who did the same. Ancient game, probably very early 90s if not very late 80s.

Speaking of which I wonder if this is the same game that GaoGaoStegosaurus is thinking of.

Yup. This is the one. I would dearly love to fire her up once again for some triangle-action.

At least I now have an ally in my quest.

Zombies magazine
Oct 17, 2005

Firmly grasp the :kazooieass:

Mr_Person posted:

Paging West Ham Sandwich, who was looking for Congo's Caper in the last one of these threads. Don't think my response was seen before the thread died.

Are you certain it was Genesis? It sounds a lot like Soccer Kid, which was ported to nearly every other console, but not Genesis.

I saw. Someone just linked me this, I appreciate it. :)

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007
I've got a vague one. I'm fairly certain it was on an Amstrad PC and had a single word title. You were a guy in space suit with a helmet that looked similar to the Marines in Warhammer 40k, and you explored what I think was a large abandoned space ship. Kind of like Metroid, but much slower paced and not really any shooting I could recall.

Saint Septimus
Dec 9, 2005

Pocket Billiards posted:

I've got a vague one. I'm fairly certain it was on an Amstrad PC and had a single word title. You were a guy in space suit with a helmet that looked similar to the Marines in Warhammer 40k, and you explored what I think was a large abandoned space ship. Kind of like Metroid, but much slower paced and not really any shooting I could recall.

After some digging on MobyGames, the closest thing I could find is Marsport.

abraxas
Apr 6, 2004

"It's a Yuletide!"

Pheener posted:

As Captain Duck said, this was UT2k4, and only in certain maps. It looks pretty cool, though.

Weird, I was sure this was a single player FPS and definitely not UT. I guess I'm gonna have to check it out next time I get a chance. I just have this image of me crouching around some smoke pillar and shooting rockets through it, watching the smoke curl realistically like a dumbass for 10 minutes. I just don't see myself doing that in an online FPS V:)V

Jetsetlemming
Dec 31, 2007

i'Am also a buetifule redd panda

I'm trying to remember the name of a text adventure. Apparently this one was pretty popular, and got awards and poo poo for best text adventure. It's about a guy getting ready to leave for a trip to the desert to go to a get together, something similar to burning man. He's waiting for a taxi to arrive at his apartment to take him. He's feeling weird, checking his stuff, and when he tried to do his last minute packing the apartment starts pretty much falling apart, with stuff turning to sand and sand flooding out of things. It was amazing in how "real" it felt, with descriptions of stuff heard/seen outside his windows like a helicopter flying by, and songs on the radio changing as you go about the game.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

Jetsetlemming posted:

I'm trying to remember the name of a text adventure. Apparently this one was pretty popular, and got awards and poo poo for best text adventure. It's about a guy getting ready to leave for a trip to the desert to go to a get together, something similar to burning man. He's waiting for a taxi to arrive at his apartment to take him. He's feeling weird, checking his stuff, and when he tried to do his last minute packing the apartment starts pretty much falling apart, with stuff turning to sand and sand flooding out of things. It was amazing in how "real" it felt, with descriptions of stuff heard/seen outside his windows like a helicopter flying by, and songs on the radio changing as you go about the game.

I think that's Shade. It always gets mentioned in the IF threads that pop up from time to time.

Jetsetlemming
Dec 31, 2007

i'Am also a buetifule redd panda

Bieeardo posted:

I think that's Shade. It always gets mentioned in the IF threads that pop up from time to time.
http://www.ifiction.org/games/play.phpz?cat=46&game=297&mode=html
Yep, this is it. Thanks.

draconic
Mar 30, 2004

okay, i got one. stumped me, maybe you guys remember it, this is how a friend described it to me:

In this game, the player moves through an estate, gathering clues to figure out who killed the estate's owner. There is a garden with a stone wall, a casino, and many other rooms to explore. A ghostly woman appears throughout the house -- she is in fact the woman (with two first names) who sings the game's soundtrack, which comes with the game. Most of the songs are soft, but one jazzy one is called "Little Boy Blue." The game came out around 1995, and the box claimed that the first person to crack the game's code would be rewarded with a large sum of money.

i remember plenty of games that offered prizes back then, but i don't remember this one.

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!

draconic posted:

okay, i got one. stumped me, maybe you guys remember it, this is how a friend described it to me:

In this game, the player moves through an estate, gathering clues to figure out who killed the estate's owner. There is a garden with a stone wall, a casino, and many other rooms to explore. A ghostly woman appears throughout the house -- she is in fact the woman (with two first names) who sings the game's soundtrack, which comes with the game. Most of the songs are soft, but one jazzy one is called "Little Boy Blue." The game came out around 1995, and the box claimed that the first person to crack the game's code would be rewarded with a large sum of money.

i remember plenty of games that offered prizes back then, but i don't remember this one.

I remember asking this is a previous thread, I forget if I got an answer to it. I believe the sum of money was something crazy like a million dollars, and as well as being the first to solve it, you had to solve the game within a year. I don't believe anyone ever solved it. I think it might have been closer to 97 or so that it came out, but I forget the name.

PleasantDilemma
Dec 5, 2006

The Last Hope for Peace
There is an old Diablo clone I played a while back that I would like to know the name of. I got the demo of it on a CD that I got from a magazine. I am pretty sure it came out after Diablo 2 but not too long after. It had a very Asian theme to it, I remember the main character wore armor that made him look like a samurai. Also, the helper NPC mercenary that ran around with you had his own inventory to store things in, and I remember wishing that I could do that in Diablo 2. If any knows the name, that would be cool.

prismeclipser
May 2, 2008
I have one.

It was a game on the underdog website. It was done in very crude 3-D and your character was a squirrel who hopped on sunflowers to progress to the next stage. The awesome thing about it was that your squirrel dude ran up and down on trees and branches and you could jump and catch yourself on another branch if you did it right. It was also timed. There was also an overworld map, so you could go to different levels and choose where you wanted to go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jigg
Jul 6, 2004

PlesantDilemma posted:

There is an old Diablo clone I played a while back that I would like to know the name of. I got the demo of it on a CD that I got from a magazine. I am pretty sure it came out after Diablo 2 but not too long after. It had a very Asian theme to it, I remember the main character wore armor that made him look like a samurai. Also, the helper NPC mercenary that ran around with you had his own inventory to store things in, and I remember wishing that I could do that in Diablo 2. If any knows the name, that would be cool.

Sounds suspiciously like the Diablo 2 expansion, Lord Of Destruction, which was set in something like a Mongol environment and introduced a martial arts player class.

Jigg fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Aug 17, 2008