Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
Ok, here goes nothing. This will be a tough one I think, as my description will probably be pretty vague.

Years ago, I remember playing an arcade game that reminded me thematically and aesthetically of something close to the Golden Axe universe. However, the game seemed like it was somewhere between a sidescroller and an isometric game. You could be one of a few typical fantasy character archetypes, and I can't exactly remember but maybe you could be one of like three people that traveled in a group (the other two being AI or other players next to you). But then again maybe that wasn't the case, and you really travelled alone. I cna't remember for sure. The game was a beat'em'up.

When I say that the game seemed like it was somewhere between a sidescroller and an isometric game, I mean it was sort of like a mix somewhere between Turtles in Time and Diablo. The characters took up more screen space than characters in Diablo, but less screen space than the turtles. The floor was split into segments, none of which ever covered the whole screen, and and the game made a lot of use of vertical screen space. I remember the sky (or other background) being viewable in the background though, so it wasn't quite like Diablo where the ground takes up the entire screen... however, often times the game made extensive use of vertical travel, placing lots of floor segments "beneath" other floor segments relative to the screen, so at times there could have been "ground" territory that reached the top of the screen. The environments, I think, were suited to this type of aesthetic, so the levels were things like cliffsides or lots of tiny little mesas in the desert joined by bridges, or dark castles with lots of tiny towers and staircases.

If I remember right, despite all this vertical space, there was only one path you could take... it's just that the path wrapped all around the screen instead of sticking to the classic "left to right" method of side scrolling.

Again, all this was a heavily fantasy environment. I also want to say there was some element of collecting treasure or gold, but I can't be completely certain about that. I'm pretty sure it was sprite based, and had more of a vivid color scheme than a subdued, brownish one. Not "Japanese epilepsy inducing" vivid, but definitely more colorful than, say, early PS3 games or Diablo.

That's about all I've got. I'll edit the post if I think of anything else.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Apr 21, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

snackmar posted:

Was it Dark Seal aka Gate of Doom?

Click here for the full 1920x1200 image.

Or maybe the sequel, Wizard Fire?

ponzicar posted:

Gaiapolis kinda fits with what you're saying.

As close as these are to my descriptions, I don't believe they are screens of the game I'm remembering.

If it helps, the game seemed more modern than Gaiapolis, as well as more horizontally viewed.

That Wizard fire game looks more similar to what I'm remembering, but the ground segment in the screenshot is way larger than the ground segments in the game in my head. Also, I believe the camera angle, again, was slightly more horizontally-facing than this game. Also, I believe the main character(s) appeared slightly smaller on the screen.

Oh, also, I seem to remember playing a muscled up barbarian character.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

Hakkesshu posted:

If it isn't Rune or DBtS, it's got to be Severance: Blade of Darkness.

Came here to post this... and it's almost got to be this game, as there were several aztec/mayan architecturally themed levels.

Blade of Darkness ruled... although I personally thought Rune was more fun. :black101:

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
Just posting so I can search my own name in the thread.

Tryna remember something.