Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

Tunga posted:

An easier one, pretty sure it was the PS1, a racing with big 4WD cars that could drive up walls in tunnels and such, the wheels were bigger than the cars so you could flip over and it didn't matter. I want to call it Rebound but that's the name of the remote control car I had which was basically identical to the cars in this game.

That's Rollcage, and it was great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

Naturally Selected posted:

I know this is a crock of an explanation, but 'tis the best i can offer at the moment. It was futuristic right away so it's not EE (obviously)

I know sweet FA about RTS games, but maybe Dark Reign 2? I think that came out in 2000, if that fits with your time frame?

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

Brut posted:

You played this weird character climbing up a tower while collecting gems (purely for points I think though) and the goal was basically to go up the tower using some increasingly complex elevators and stuff, that's really all I can remember, any ideas?

Nebulus, for various systems including Amiga and C64.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

Shame you didn't include all this information in your post then, and saved us all some time.

As a tip for any other posters, please tell us about when it might have been, the system, and outstanding features. It really does help.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

chairface posted:

I don't know if by "like Fallout" he means turn-based, isometric, that it was an RPG, all of the above, none of the above, etc. Nor does he.

I can't help, but how on earth can your friend remember it being like Fallout and then not know why?

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

Garfu posted:

Ok I think I figured it out on me own. I typed Dungeon into gamespot and went through all the games. I'm pretty sure its Dungeon Lords, but that came out in 2005, and I swear I played it before I went to college, which was in 2003. So who knows.

It definitely is DLords. I'm playing it now with some friends as a LAN game. It's fun, but really buggy with quest triggers and stuff. We had to edit a character with a 3rd-party tool just so we could unbreak some quest stuff to continue the game.

We've discovered that you don't need much barter skill before you can sell stuff back to the trader for 50% more than you paid for it. Oops.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

Deceased Crab posted:

Okay, this one's obscure. I only vaguely remember it, as I think I may have been 6 or 7 when I played it.

As a tip to future posters, telling us your age isn't helpful. Telling us what year that was is.

edit: \/ Really? That's all the pertinent details you can remember?

Gromit fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Jan 12, 2010

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

Brady posted:

It's a space Galaga type game (I know there are thousands) with good looking space backgrounds that change each (level/ boss)? It's newer-ish than most Galaga type games. There were shield power-ups in the game, and I believe you could power your weapon up to something like three times. Very smooth game play (you used your mouse). I can't remember anything that really set this game apart except for the backgrounds.

Deluxe Galaga AKA WarBlade?
http://www.warblade.as/index.asp

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

Mobius posted:

I have a vague memory of an Atari 2600 game that I probably played at about the age of 5 or so. It was a top-down tank game (not Combat) where, if you did well, you would get a screen that shows a dramatic shot of your tank on the edge of a cliff with a full moon in the background. If you lost, you would see a skull and crossbones.

Are you sure this was on the 2600? The phrases "Atari 2600" and "dramatic shot" really don't go together at all.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

Polsy posted:

That's interesting, I never realised it was a clone of anything, it's just called Monsters on the BBC/Electron.

If you have MAME, Berlin Wall is a great version of this as well. My first introduction was Apple Panic on the Apple 2.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

Bummey posted:

There was this old rear end NES shooter that I'm trying to remember. The screen was circular and your ship traveled around the edge shooting inwards. That's about all I remember. Oh, and it was totally awesome.

There's another one that may very well be Gauntlet, but it's so hazy I'm not sure. From what I remember it was the same top down, fantasy hack and slash, same level design with blocky bits and you had to find keys to open up certain paths here and there, but your health didn't drain away. I only played it a couple times and it was so long ago. You know what? It's probably Gauntlet and my memory just sucks.

Gyruss, surely? Awesome game, but I only ever played it in the arcade.

As to your Gauntlet question, there were a huge number of clones so we'd need more information.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

Loquitor posted:

This is bit vague, but I remember back in 1990ish seeing a computer game running in a shop, but all I saw was one screen and it was a picture of a toilet with teeth - it was a pretty big picture so my brain thinks that it was either a cut scene, or the game was some kind of adventure game. I'm also pretty sure it was on an Amiga or an Atari ST.

Dream Zone came out in 1988, but all I've found is a reference to a toilet with tonsils, and hardly any screenshots.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

Sizone posted:

In fact, I think the marquee said Goonies, but questing through MAME and wikipedia don't turn anything up.

Have you tried KLOV?
http://www.klov.net/

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

techknight posted:

Do you remember anything about what the computers were? Around what year would you have been using them?

This is my pet hate for threads like this.

"I played it when I was a kid and it had monsters and dungeons" is poo poo information.

"Around '83 on a home computer system, not a console. Sideways scroller, lots of titties" at least gives us something to work from.

We don't know when you were at school, dingdong!

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

al-azad posted:

There's this Russian made first person shooter/RPG/adventure style game I think was released a few months ago. I think it's only up for digital distribution. You're some space adventurer who travels from planet to planet capturing animals/bounty hunting/etc. Someone on the internet billed it as STALKER in space but I've forgotten the name.

Precursors.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

SecretOfSteel posted:

Here's one for you oldies.

It was a BBC game from the mid 80s. It was a single screen game where you were a little plane bombing buildings beneath you (each bomb would only remove a few floors of the building). The plane would fly across the screen and when it reached the edge, you'd reappear on the other side but be flying a little lower.

There's a ton of these on various platforms of that era. The BBC had 'Bomber Baron', which matches your description, but there would have been loads of versions I'm sure. 'Bomber' might be one as well.
If that's not it, the VIC-20 had 'Blitz', so perhaps you can search on that as well?

I think I typed one out of a magazine at some stage, too.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

Jombo posted:

It's a dos based game I had a demo of years and years ago. It's a side-scrolling platformer where you play a muscular barbarian style guy with a big sword. The key feature I remember was that at the start of the level you could choose to start going left or right.

I only had the demo, but the 1 level I played had a winter theme with no raised platforms - just ice covered ponds you had to jump and monsters you had to fight.

Barbarian 2, maybe? Kind of a platformer, but not really. Had the muscles, sword, jumping over water, choosing directions, and monsters to fight though.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

al-azad posted:

Is there a database for arcade games that's as robust as mobygames? They're pretty much console and PC stuff.

Give http://www.arcade-museum.com/ a run.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

al-azad posted:

Platform? General date that you played? Gameplay style or something?

Yeah, the description is pretty woeful for information to help narrow it down.
I'm going to go with "R-Type".

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

There's probably a million of those. Was it a sci-fi setting, or somewhat contemporary? Earlier than DOS? So not on the PC?

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

No Gravitas posted:

My game was a game for either the amiga or the atari or some other computer that was not PC. It was not really a console at any rate. It took floppies which were formatted differently than the PC. To put a very very conservative bound on this: Nothing past 2000 or so.

The game had you be a giant robot, walk (i think) left and kill the hell out of tiny humans on your way. I may be wrong on this, but I don't remember it having much color, almost all was black and white.

Yeah, not much to go on, but thanks for trying!

This is probably Walker on the Amiga.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kzmEJWjcwms

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

The White Dragon posted:

This was way back in the day and ran on those old school Macintosh computers. The game itself was on an 8" disk and required you to eject it and flip it over at one point.

Are you sure? For one, I thought Macintosh machines started out with 3.5" disks, as opposed to the Apple II (say) that used 5.25". Secondly, did any home-user systems whatsoever use an 8" floppy disk?

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

Violen posted:

...I remember it was from a game belonging to a somewhat modest console... I wanna say Commodore 64, but who knows.

The C64 was "somewhat modest"!?

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

Comrade_Canada posted:

was a PC game, most likely a shooter of some sort, its acronym was PR2

i just Googled your entire post and it suggested Project Reality 2. It will amuse me no end if that's the one you're after. :)

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

Genpei Turtle posted:

:laffo: I seriously cannot get over that cover for Impossible Mission 2, it's the worst ever. Explosions! Guns! Women! *game is about an unarmed dude somersaulting through a tower and searching furniture for keys while dodging robots*

Her bodysuit looks suspiciously coloured over because the original artist's vision was a little too raunchy, too. The guy is pretty much David Hasslehoff though, so you can't really fault the artist.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

Freakazoid_ posted:

An 80's arcade shmup. Possibly a fevered dream of a 6 year old child. Can't really remember how it looked like, only ever saw it once or twice, but it had this gimmick where your upgrades not only added more shots to your attack, but made your ship wider and wider. It was ridiculous to look at past the first upgrade and I don't remember how many upgrades it took to reach maximum width (it seemed like a lot).

Terra Cresta was like that, with the added bonus of making your ship even bigger when you activated your super weapon. However, your ship didn't get too big until later upgrades, the first few were pretty minor.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

Thingyman posted:

There's a couple of PC games I've been trying to find for ages. Both of them should be from the mid 90's. They were both kind of lovely, but I would love to see them again out of nostalgia. Unfortunately, my memories of them are super vague:

1. You played some kind of future cop. You flew (or maybe drove?) around a city chasing down criminals The game was in full 3D.

Resolution 101?

"You are a law enforcement officer in control of a hovercraft as you hunt down drug runners across a futuristic city."

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

Yo Joe? It's that style of game, but doesn't really match your description except for the gradient skies.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

Hakkesshu posted:

Ach, gently caress, I found it. Dojo Dan. I got a few facts wrong but it was listed as a beat 'em up on Lemonamiga which is why I couldn't find it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wVVW7dGK8ZA

I'm not ragging on you specifically, but I love how bad memory is. "Red shirt and red bandana" my rear end! :v:
I've been trying to track down an arcade vertical SHMUP with a time reversal gimmick for years now but I think my memory is broken.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

PSWII60 posted:

So I accidentally stumbled upon the shooter that she was trying to figure out. It was not R-type though she did remember R-type. The one she was trying to remember was Gyrus. I started playing it the other day and immediately she recognized the music.

Wow. I don't think Gyruss matches anything whatsoever in the description you provided. Or is this a totally different game compared to the arcade one?
I love how bad our memories of old games can be, though. Something you swear is one thing turns out to be about 3 games mixed together with a TV show thrown in for good measure.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

Was the voice actually sampled, or synthesised with something like SAM?

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

With how wrong all our memories get over time, it could be this:

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

Dr. Video Games 0112 posted:

Kind of a long shot but here we go: This is a game from the 80s, atari/amiga era. It was a platformer, where you had multiple floors, if you left either the bottom or top of the screen you would end up in another part of a dungeon. The character you played was fairly large, fairly sophisticated game. It utilized a keyboard, and you had many many different commands you could input for various attack and movement types. For example you could press a key to windup a punch and press it again to complete the punch, but then if you pressed like three other keys or something he would punch up or down, very sluggish and difficult controls. Unfortunately thats the only lead Ive got, but Im hoping it's fairly unique for the time to use such a complex control scheme, that you had so many different commands, like extending a knee with one key and pressing another key you would kick, if you pressed a different key you would just walk forward. I dont know if Im describing or remembering that correctly, but its one of the few ancient games that eludes me to this day.

Aztec on the Apple II had complex controls, but predates the Amiga.

Mulloy posted:

Ok so every couple years I try to find this game my friend and I played in the 80s. And I always fail and end up replaying space quest. It was definitely on the commodore 64 and it was... kind of a space platformer? You were, as I recall, a dude in a space suit with the oxygen tank and such. You could jump and had a little thrust you could use to slow falls and "fly" for short periods. And I recall the levels being like purple-blue? I want to say it had opera or phantom in the title but that's never helped me out in finding anything.

Back To Reality?

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

Konsek posted:

Thank you for the replies. Either there were no graphics, or they were so minimal I don't remember them. I meant the UI was purple/green.

I know you said it was DOS, but composite colour fringing on the Apple 2 made UI elements have purple and green fringing (see the Mystery House screeshot at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Composite_artifact_colors). Are you mis-remembering what system it was on?

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

Ha, yeah - it would be tough to actually pose a meaningful question with less information. I mean, that sounds like a very unusual game mechanic that might stand out to someone, but reading through this thread makes you realise how unreliable memory can be and people often end up conflating 2 or 3 games.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

A Proper Uppercut posted:

I could very well just be remembering wrong.

This is pretty much my default belief now when I'm trying to remember video games from decades ago. Stuff just gets conflated until my memories of Pacman include robots and alien abduction.

There was a vertical scrolling shoot-em-up in the arcade in the late 80s where the gimmick was that you had "time bombs" that you could fire that wound the game back a few frames. You could collect a ton of them and if you were killed and reacted quickly enough you could hammer the bomb button enough to wind time back and replay that fraction of a second to avoid the bullet.
It seems like such a unique gimmick that I could search for it easily, but you can't really search for "time bomb" and I've never had any luck describing it usefully in a search.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

A Proper Uppercut posted:

Choutoki Meikyuu Legion, from a quick Google.

Jesus Christ - gently caress you. I mean that sincerely, but in the nicest possible way. My Google-fu is weak and you have dominated me soundly.
Thanks!

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

Metal Black.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V3cwogMB9o0

Jump to 27:10 for the afore-mentioned translucent space whale.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

It has a great game mechanic that I'm not sure is clear in the video. The stuff you pick up to power your super weapon can be grabbed by some of the higher-level enemies and bosses, and they use it to power their own. If you both fire it off and they collide, you get these scary blackhole effects that can fly towards you. I really like the idea of these over-powered weapons breaking the laws of physics and having somewhat random side effects if they interact.

I've always wanted to make a game with that as a bigger mechanic but I'm no coder.

The two player mode is fun enough, and during the bonus stage where you fly around locking missiles onto dumb enemies my friend and I used to try and push each other off the machine so we could get the shot in ahead of them.

e: and that classic klaxon boss warning sound is just awesome.

e2: watching that video, it looks like you can steer the blackhole thing into the enemy. I never knew that and thought it was something random that could help or hurt you. Or I'm totally wrong and the whole effect I think exists actually doesn't!

Gromit fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Oct 2, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

Gnoman posted:

Firepower has the roght general look, but it isn't it. Return Fire is much too modern looking.

The one thing I remember clearly is that one of the pickups was an A-bomb that wrecked most of the map (similar to the one in Battletanx).

And it was really top-down and not a side-on view like all the classic Scorched Earth types?