Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

quote:

My buddy let me borrow a game way back in the day for NES. I think I was a knight or an adventurer of a sort and I was in a castle. The game reminds me of Myst pertaining to way you moved around. I think there was a lion that asked you riddles... not sure about the lion, but I'm almost positive at least some animal asked riddles. I remember you could burn yourself to death on torches or fireplaces and be killed by nearly everything in the game. This title has been eluding me for years.

That would be Shadowgate. Deja Vu and Uninvited were similar games by the same company.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

quote:

You've just ended years of wondering. I applaud you. As soon as I googled Shadowgate and saw images of the game, memories of frustration and terror surfaced immediately.

All three of those games are surprisingly playable even today.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

quote:

This one is from way back in my childhood. On the SNES, there was a game where you started off as a little guy wandering around a happy little town and inside one of the houses was a boss. You might have had magic or something. It wasn't isometric; it wasn't Earthbound; it wasn't turn based; it wasn't zombies ate my neighbors. This may be a really big longshot.

Paladin's Quest maybe?

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

quote:

Maybe someone can help me figure this out. I've been trying to figure out the name of this game for a really long time. I must have played it something like 10 years ago, it was for PC. You built a castle and I remember training archers and maybe some footsoldiers to defend the castle against attack. It was really fun but I didnt get too long to play it since it wasn't on my computer. Been trying to remember the name ever since.

I thought it was Stronghold but its simply not the same game at all.

Interplay had two games that fit the basic story there: Castles and Castles II, I think both were set in Wales and more or less followed the history of the Angles and/or Saxons (my history knowledge sucks) vs. the Picts, and the construction of castles to subdue the countryside. Fundamentally the goal in each stage was to finish building the damned castle without getting run off by marauding Picts. It was less RTS and more focused on managing to keep your books well enough you could afford enough troops to keep the Picts from tearing poo poo up, keep paying the guys building the castle, and yet still get the castle built fast enough. You spent far more time micromanaging piddly poo poo details of castle administration that you did brawling with Picts, and IIRC, you had no way to direct your units at all in battle; you got to pick where they started and from there they did their thing.

An option from the same time period that I remember playing fondly: Siege (from the people who did the Magic Candle series, Siege was nominally set in the Magic Candle world, IIRC, although it didn't really matter) which was sort of a proto-RTS; There were two teams, one that was attacking a castle and the other was supposed to defend the castle. Would've been great multiplayer, but it was human vs. CPU only and the CPU was kind of dumb. The gameplay was almost entirely centered around forming and deploying units. You could only give units general commands in battle like "hold" "retreat" etc and they'd do their best to follow your orders.

As far as Stronghold goes, there were two different games that went by that name; One was an early 90s D&D licensed game where you built towns/castles/forts full of 1st level D&D guys, who would level up, capture new territory, and clobber monsters and could be the game you're thinking of. Like Siege it was more or less an RTS game prior to anyone calling games by that moniker. The other Stronghold came out much later (2001) and was more of a traditional RTS game as the genre had been better established by then.

chairface fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Aug 18, 2008

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

Mr.Radar posted:

I'm trying to remember the name of what I think is a pretty obscure game. Here's what I remember about it: in the opening there is a cutscene (which I think was a video) where you're being dropped off by a helicopter into a complex outside of a sealed dome(?) covering part of a city. The rest of the city is in ruins due to some kind of apocalyptic event but apparently the dome is a paradise or whatever and you need to get into it for some reason I don't remember.

The actual game is played from a top-down perspective. It's a shooter with some RPG elements (like items (melee weapons, guns, grenades, armor, etc.) you can pick up and equip(?)). I can only remember two types of enemies, mutants and armed forces (possibly a private security force?), but there were many more. Two levels I specifically remember from the game were a prison/mental asylum(?) and a sewer level, but again there were many more I can only vaguely recall. The game was very open ended. I remember being able to basically go anywhere in the city (except the domed area), although I didn't get very far into most of them before dying.

The game was either for DOS or Windows and I think it came on CD-ROM and was released sometime in the mid to late 90's (although I can't rule out the early 2000's). I remember trying to look up a guide for the game online when I first played it but at the time my Internet searching skills weren't great and I don't remember finding much info on it. Anyone have any idea which game I'm talking about?

I remember playing a shareware version of that game. Molotov cocktails were another of the weapons you could get. An important note is that the enemies attacked in pretty huge mobs. I'd like to know the name of the game too.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

I played the shareware of this game, it was on a PC Gamer CDROM (PC Gamer, half the reason to subscribe in pre-broadband days was getting a CD full of shareware every month) from an issue somewhere between 1992-1996. Sorry that's vague, I do remember the game running in DOS on my 486 SX 50mhz with 4mb of RAM. It was a spaceship game where you fly around and sometimes shoot things and sometimes do other things, but what's notable is that it made a realistic attempt at, if nothing else, looking 3d. The most memorable feature was that it seemed to fairly seamlessly transition from "I'm flying around in space" to "I'm flying on/over/across the surface of a planet." I think there were stations you could upgrade your ship at. The "planets" were quite unrealistically small (you could see the curvature quite clearly while on the surface) and obviously the interstellar distances were also laughably small even given the tiny scale of planets.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

Ota_Himuro posted:

That -might- be one of the early Battlecruiser 3000 games, in which case you better watch out saying anything remotely BAD about it, Dr. Smart's -always- watching :hehe:

I don't think so, although I only played any of the BC games post-2002. In general the game I'm thinking of was very light in flavor. Fly around shooting stuff with little clue as to why, exactly, you're doing such a thing. My memory of the BC games is that they were considerably dryer and expected you to know what eleventy billion different hotkeys did.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

Brut posted:

Nah uh, the tower was like indoors, think elevator shaft with platforms/teleporters.

The graphics were a little bit newer than that picture too, this was back on DOS.

Appreciate the attempt though :).

Alternatives that I'm not sure were on DOS but fit the timeframe:

Elevator Action (NES game)
Cohen's Tower (C64)

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

Evil Agita posted:

I'm thinking of a castle game that came out back when I had a 486, so maybe like '96? You basically build up a castle, and eventually you get attacked and I would always get wrecked. When your castle was building you would see scaffolding and poo poo, and the "event" screen would be a picture of the king and an advisor, with a bunch of text. One of the events would be that you could take a ward for some money or something. It MAY have been a sequel.

Thats all I can remember.

Castles or Castles II. Both by Interplay.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

Secondhand one, from a friend of mine:

quote:

It was the late 90s, on PC, the game was like Fallout, except you had commando guys who fought ninjas. I think the ninjas were the computer.

Before you ask, I have no more insight onto this. I don't know if by "like Fallout" he means turn-based, isometric, that it was an RPG, all of the above, none of the above, etc. Nor does he.

I have suggested it may've been a Jagged Alliance game in that you did have commandos in that, and it was "like Fallout" (Iso, turn-based, and had RPG-ish elements.) Any other similar suggestions would be appreciated.

chairface fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Oct 19, 2008

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

THF13 posted:

This is going to be really obscure because I'm not sure if it even got released, but I remember a portable game (DS or PSP) coming out with a pretty unique art style and a single screenshot showing the female main character finding money in a banana stand with text on screen saying "There's always money in the banana stand"

Either that's referencing the TV show Arrested Development or the show was referencing that; either way that's a good route to investigate. Check articles about Arrested Development and search for that quote (George Sr. says it to Michael) see if anyone traces the reference in either direction.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

Could've been Wizardry, if not, check around for Wizardry-like games on sites that index such things.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

SereneCrimson posted:

PC game, I THINK it was a point-and-click adventure game.
Maybe with mini games.

I think you played as an Olympic ring.
It had to do with the Olympics anyway.
It's driving me crazy.

One of the games with that bizarre rear end mascot for the 96 Olympics maybe? Izzy or Dizzy or some poo poo?

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

TraX posted:

I remember a SNES game about mechs. You had a little pilot guy that could jump in and out of different ones and there was a platformer style single player game (plus killing lots of robots), and a two player split-screen deathmatch. The game was side scrolling (and some vertical) platformer style (think metroid). Also, the two human like robots had one with a machine gun and a chainsaw style weapon while the other had a laser blade and laser rifle. There was also a heavy artillery mech and a crazy rolling ball that deployed into a turret.

I know I've found the rom of this one before but I literally keep forgetting the name of it every few years. Help would be appreciated.

Metal Warriors.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metal_Warriors

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

TraX posted:

Profuse thanks to chairface!

Metal Warriors was an awesome game that me and my brother played to death (and even had some fights over).

The 2-player vs. mode works acceptably over the internet and is still fun. The 1-player campaign, however, has not aged well.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

Im Not A Goon posted:

No, the graphics were quite a bit better then that. I also remember losing a lot because I ran out of fuel or time or something (but that might've been because I was a kid and was awful at it).

edit: I played it at my babysitters house along with Star Wars: TIE Fighter on her computer, so it was somewhere around that time.

double edit: Found it on Wikipedia's Racing Game page... it's MegaRace. I need to find this game again and relive my youth.

You'll be disappointed. MegaRace doesn't age very well at all. First game I had on my 486.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

Vendetta77 posted:

Wow, this is exactly the kind of thread I'm looking for. Ok, I've got a tough one. I wish I had more info for it, but I don't. If you guys get this one I'll be impressed.

It was for NES, it was a side scroller shooter where you pilot a weird looking ladybug type ship. At the end, the boss fight is your father. (I think in his own ship)

Now that's all I know about the game itself, but what I think may help you guys is I remember the actual NES cartridge for the game being jet black. It was one of those sleeker NES cartridges if I recall correctly.

I really wish I knew more, but if I did, I could find it myself. So, kind of a bug theme, but the bugs are actually spaceships I think. You fight your dad at the end (so the story goes anyway) and the game itself was a jet black cartridge. If you guys could help me out it would help complete my goal of watching playthroughs from game I played when I was a kid. Thanks!

May or may not help, but the black cartridges were usually Tengen games. Try looking through Tengen's catalog to see if anything seems familiar.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

Two side-scrolling beat-em-up arcade games I remember.

One I played at a putt-putt arcade in the late 80s. NES level graphics or maybe a little worse. It was pretty standard as far as such things go, but I remember enemies dying in an odd way; they would like melt. Not fall over and be a body on the ground, not do their hit animation and vanish or fade line-by-line, I'm quite certain they melted, and the resulting puddles stayed for at least a short time before vanishing (or not.) The vast majority of enemies were just different colors of the same guy. I don't call it palette-swapping because there wasn't really a palette. Guys would be one color with some minor details in brown/black/etc, and that one color would be changed. Either the hero or some bad guys were predominantly white, yellow, green, or blue. I believe but am not sure the main character had a gun (notable in the side-scrolling beat-em-up genre) or could pick one up periodically. It is possible the gun would make enemies melt and other attacks would not?

The other I played in a mall arcade a few years later, like early 90s. Vastly improved graphics, like SNES/Genesis game levels. Uninspiring side-scrolling beat-em-up, pretty Final Fight like, but on this one I'm absolutely certain that you could get a gun off some enemies and subsequently just slaughter entire screens of guys by plugging away with this handgun. The enemies who had the handguns could similarly cheese the poo poo out of you, particularly once groups of them started spawning on both sides of the screen.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

Bieeardo posted:

This one sounds like Rolling Thunder to me.

Rollersnake posted:

I haven't played this myself, but it sounds like Vendetta.

These both look to be right. I'm amazed since I remembered so little, thanks!

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

ForKhorne posted:

Hmm lets give it a whirl.

Was a Sega game

Allowed 2 people to play at the same time

Side scroller

The guys you played had crazy weapons

I think you could throw each other

I think one of the bosses you fought on top of a plane after climbing a bunch of ladders

Gunstar Heroes.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

Luminous Cow posted:

NES Game

It was Kung Fu fighting type game

Simple graphics

Played like a tournament type deal, and when you won a fight, you went to the next level.

If I remember correctly, you couldn't walk around, the different button combos did different moves. I may be wrong on this.

It is NOT Kung Fu, Kung Fu Heroes, or Yie Ar Kung Fu.

I haven't been able to remember what this game is called for years.

Clarification: This is a series of one-on-one fights and not a sidescroller with periodic boss battles?

Cuz as far as "fighting games" (like Street Fighter 2) on the NES, it's a pretty short list, but if you throw in side-scrollers with periodic boss battles the list gets very long.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

Luminous Cow posted:

I distinctly remember one on one fights. Keep in mind I was five or six while playing this.

Then my guess is Karate Champ

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karate_Champ

Because I do trust a 5-6 year old to know a fighting game from a side-scroller, but not to know karate from kung fu. :P

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

McGravin posted:

I remember years ago trying a demo of a game that came on the CD in my copy of PC Gamer (I'm pretty sure).

The game was an RTS, but instead of fighting on a traditional battlefield, you were fighting inside a giant stadium. There were several resources, including coal and iron, and you'd have to set up buildings to harvest the raw resources and then other buildings to process the resources, as well as trucks to carry the resources to and fro.

One feature I distinctly remember were tunneling units. You could tell them to start digging from a spot and where to dig to (such as in the enemy base), and they'd slowly dig a tunnel to that spot. Once the tunnel was nearly complete, you could load your tanks and units into the tunnel and order the tunneling unit to break through on the other side, flooding the enemy base with all your units.

I've done a bit of googling, and I'm pretty sure this game was called "Wartorn". Unfortunately, I can't find anything to confirm this. No screenshots, publisher, release date, nothing. I was hoping I'd be able to find it for free on an abandonware site since I'm pretty sure this was 1998 or earlier, but no such luck on HOTU.

To be on HOTU, somebody has to have liked a game at some point.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

As posted, most likely the SNES Shadowrun, although the dog is actually helping you when he shows up, not taking your power. Also it's Dog. *The* spirit of all individual dogs and the essence of dogdom.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

El Negocio posted:

The one I'm thinking of is a top-down shooter in the vein of Zombies Ate My Neighbours but more like Contra in theme (beefy dudes shooting monsters), made around the SNES era. It looked arcadey in nature and you could play coop I think I remember one or most of the levels took place in a jungle/swamp type area.

I know I'm not making it up because I saw a 2 second glimpse of it in the intro credits of a Angry Video Game Nerd episode (or one of his imitators). Unfortunatly I can't remember which video cause that would make it so much easier.

Did it have multiple playable characters who had actually different weapons? One of them being a mad scientist type with a lightning gun?

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

These Loving Eyes posted:

If it's this, it's The Chaos Engine:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M2685TvfjiI

Ah good, I remembered the game but not the title. Hopefully that's it anyway.

EDIT: vvvvvvvvvvvv That's loving teamwork.

chairface fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Mar 17, 2010

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

PelvicThrust posted:

Okay, I don't remember a lot but I'll try. NES / SNES, I just remember I played it early 90's, 2-D game. I remember you looked like you were from medieval times, you had long blond hair I think, and you had a long sword (I could be completely wrong here but this is what my memory serves me). You start outside, there's a large mountain with a lot of cave entrances that just looked like large black squares. I know you could switch between going outside and inside caves in the mountain to try to climb to the top. Inside the caves were enemies I can't think of at the moment, I also think there were chests? Or some sort of powerups you could grab. Probably wrong on the chests.

Also, there was this terrible game I remember playing on Win95. You were a detective and you had to investigate a murder. I just remember there was an overview of this town and you could choose to go to your apartment and sleep, go to your girlfriend's house, and some other places. I know it had extremely simple dialogue in text, and you could choose what to say in different situations. I also remember a murder scene with a safe that you had to find a 4 digit password to, I think. And you had skills that leveled up, like lock picking, and a few other things. I don't really care to play this one again, it just annoys me for some reason I can't remember this one.

If it's NES, I agree with Cidrick about Ironsword, if it's SNES, I suggest Magic Sword instead: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magic_Sword

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

GreatGreen posted:

Ok, here goes nothing. This will be a tough one I think, as my description will probably be pretty vague.

Years ago, I remember playing an arcade game that reminded me thematically and aesthetically of something close to the Golden Axe universe. However, the game seemed like it was somewhere between a sidescroller and an isometric game. You could be one of a few typical fantasy character archetypes, and I can't exactly remember but maybe you could be one of like three people that traveled in a group (the other two being AI or other players next to you). But then again maybe that wasn't the case, and you really travelled alone. I cna't remember for sure. The game was a beat'em'up.

When I say that the game seemed like it was somewhere between a sidescroller and an isometric game, I mean it was sort of like a mix somewhere between Turtles in Time and Diablo. The characters took up more screen space than characters in Diablo, but less screen space than the turtles. The floor was split into segments, none of which ever covered the whole screen, and and the game made a lot of use of vertical screen space. I remember the sky (or other background) being viewable in the background though, so it wasn't quite like Diablo where the ground takes up the entire screen... however, often times the game made extensive use of vertical travel, placing lots of floor segments "beneath" other floor segments relative to the screen, so at times there could have been "ground" territory that reached the top of the screen. The environments, I think, were suited to this type of aesthetic, so the levels were things like cliffsides or lots of tiny little mesas in the desert joined by bridges, or dark castles with lots of tiny towers and staircases.

If I remember right, despite all this vertical space, there was only one path you could take... it's just that the path wrapped all around the screen instead of sticking to the classic "left to right" method of side scrolling.

Again, all this was a heavily fantasy environment. I also want to say there was some element of collecting treasure or gold, but I can't be completely certain about that. I'm pretty sure it was sprite based, and had more of a vivid color scheme than a subdued, brownish one. Not "Japanese epilepsy inducing" vivid, but definitely more colorful than, say, early PS3 games or Diablo.

That's about all I've got. I'll edit the post if I think of anything else.

If "years ago" means sometime near 2000, there was a Gauntlet arcade game that worked sorta like this around then. I'm not really sure on this one, but it might steer you more towards the right direction to find that game and thus look for "if you liked this game, you might also like..." stuff.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

GammaShade posted:

I hate just jumping into this thing without being able to help anybody else out, but there's a game that's been driving me completely crazy for years. It was a super old-school (early- to mid-90s at the latest) PC adventure game, first-person, in trilogy form. It had a definite horror slant to it. The opening screen of the first game was an alleyway in the middle of a city, with the player looking out into the street. I think at some point you descended into some sort of twisted nightmare world -- I remember a white river with weird, disturbing plants growing on its banks, and I think somebody had drowned in it. (That might have been part of the second game.) In the third game, you had to go into a cave and solve a bunch of standard adventure game stuff to light up the eye sockets of an enormous skull. The skull might have been blue.

There's really nothing to go on here, but it's easily been 15 years since I've even touched this game and I can't remember anything else. I'm not entirely convinced I didn't make it all up. If anyone has any idea what I'm talking about, it would be amazingly appreciated.

Guessing a bit here, but maybe: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shadow_of_the_Comet

Shadow of the Comet was about the right time and the setting seems at least close. If not, try here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_graphic_adventure_games
as there's relatively few published in the 1992-1997 that even could be possible due to so many of the games being set in space/sci-fi or medieval/fantasy settings.

Ninja Edit: Failing that, Gabriel Knight series, maybe?

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

Adeptus Mechanicus posted:

Alright, this game may or may not be a dream.

It is either snes or genesis. You are in a big robot, and you can flip gravity. So you are walking on the ceiling. I remember the backgrounds being kind of trippy.

NES, and it's called Metal Storm. Here you go:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metal_Storm_(video_game)

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

Hal Incandenza posted:

Holy poo poo, that game looks amazing for an Apple //e game! I absolutely have to check this out now...

Yeah, wow. This game sounds amazing on a number of levels. Too bad so many "adventure games" nowadays turn into pixel-hunts.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

Doc Hawkins posted:

Why is he carrying a bottle of milk?

I believe he recycles them for money. This game was intended as a work of speculative fiction and successfully predicted the economic collapse. In this hellish dystopia, all a totally rad dude has open to him for opportunities is to skateboard around collecting bottles to recycle for money. Milk bottles, beer bottles, soda bottles, it hardly matters. Trading glass for another meal is all that matters. Every day, the same hellish existence of skateboarding around, collecting glass bottles, fully aware that cars on the road will just outright kill you capricously because the value of human life has been so diluted by the economic catastrophe that has forced so many into skateboarding-around-collecting-glass-bottles.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

Reason posted:

There was this old space game, I think for macintosh, where the view was top down and you were controlling just one ship. You had a crew that you hired and were good at various things. I think the goal was to take on alien ships and explore as much as you could before you died. I'm not sure if you could explore planets though.

Protostar? It doesn't quite fit but if you're sure it's not Escape Velocity, there's only so many single-player space-trading games.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

Discount Viscount posted:

This sounds like Maniac Mansion on the NES, assuming you're misremembering the SNES part. But it could very well be something else.

Could also be Uninvited, or perhaps even Shadowgate. Lack of English skills would be a real issue with those too. Hypothetically even Deja Vu, although that doesn't start with a scene trying to get into a house using a key outside, there is that one bungalow bit.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

9999DMG posted:

I'm trying to remember a NES game. It was a late-period NES game where you played as a police detective fighting monsters produced by some kind of bio-weapon program run amok. It had a pretty complex storyline for the time, told through cutscenes similar to the Ninja Gaiden NES games (complete with fake filmstrip borders at the sides of the screen.) Gameplay-wise, it was a side-scrolling action game with different special weapons to collect, each with limited ammo. I know the game had a big feature/walkthrough in Nintendo Power, but I haven't heard about it in any discussion of NES nostalgia, so it might not have been any good.

I believe this is Vice: Project Doom, check here and see: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vice:_Project_Doom

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

9999DMG posted:

Wow, that's it. That was much faster than I expected!

A lot of the real NES gems of 1991 got overlooked due to the SNES release. Especially platformers like Metalstorm, Vice: Project Doom, Shatterfist and Kabuki: Quantum Fighter. It's not those games' fault they couldn't compete with 16-bit games like Super Mario World released at the same time.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

duckfarts posted:

^^ This is 100% EVO, and a little secret for you: you don't have to become human.

I recommend remaining a bird-tyrannosaur, actually. Although quadrahorn rhinocerlion isn't bad.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

simplefish posted:

In the present day, you're presented with a top-down grid map of the pyramids around Giza. You choose a site, choose your tools, and dig. You can damage or break artefacts if you use the spade instead of the brush, for instance.

You can find pewter bowls, clay pots(?), and strange stones with heiroglyphics on them. The first one you find is something like Djibouti -- only not Djbouti, because that's a place. Upon digging it up, you have no idea what it is.

Once you've dug up the stone, you go back in time to Ancient Egypt, and you have to run around and find out what the stone is and says. I seem to remember that you spawn in a farm house with a woman saying her husband is out working, and for some reason you have to take an Adze from the house.

At the end of the puzzler/history lesson, it turns out that the stone has a pharoah's name on it, and you return to the present, to begin again.

Played it circa 1995, up to 1999. I don't recall it being famous in any way.

Any ideas, goons?

Not quite helping you find the game, but the thing that was sorta like "Djibouti" was it maybe Djedfreh?

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

Arrath posted:

No, it wasn't Stronghold. The graphics weren't nearly that good, and the camera wasn't isometric. It was straight on, like Warcraft 1/2 but at a shallower angle.

Keep in mind there were two games called "Stronghold." One was the 2001 game with the fancy graphics, but in the olden days there was a D&D licensed game called Stronghold, and the guys on that would build stuff with a scaffold as you describe, and it was 2d.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

Dr_Amazing posted:

I think I've said this one before but it never got an answer.

It was an arcade game that I saw around the early 90s some time. Graphics were pretty good maybe high-SNES level. It played a lot like the NES game kung-fu. You were a warrior/ barbarian type that was just walking though an outdoor area. There may have been bad guys but I mostly remember knives and arrows and things flying in from the right that you had to dodge or block. It sticks in my mind because it was the first time I ever saw an arcade game that was set up to play for free, and my mom parked me on it for like 2 hours while she went shopping.

^^^ Also potentially Magic Sword