Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
I remember a game from late EGA-early VGA age: a platformer where to activate switches/puzzles/platforms you had to answer history trivia etc. It had civilization-themed episodes (Egyptian, Asian, etc.). Anyone know the title?

Pierzak fucked around with this message at 09:53 on Aug 14, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
Can anyone point me to a certain old arcade Spiderman game? It alternated beat'em up and platformer levels and had 4 characters to choose from. IIRC the first boss was Venom.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
That's the one, thanks!

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
Help me remember a game on PSP. It was a variant of that old arcade game where you had to draw lines to cut out/paint parts of an area, except you played as a squad of mechanics boarding giant enemy airships with saws and blowtorches to cut them into pieces.

Another game, PC, Win98 era: a portal opens and fantasy armies with orcs and magic invade modern (Cold War) Earth and you get to fight them with tanks, machine guns and whatnot, and later research the fantasy stuff to make hybrid weapons like enchanted tank shells. Definitely a turn-based strategy.

Pierzak fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Jan 29, 2020

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Pulsarcat posted:

The first one is probably Patchwork Heroes

Gnoman posted:

Pretty sure this one is Spellcross

Both were what I was looking for, thank you!
(also gently caress, how does one misspell PSP)

The Joe Man posted:

Going to guess this by narrowing down the year and searching for Qix variants on Mobygames: https://www.mobygames.com/game/playstation/qix-neo
It'd help if I remembered Qix' title, but you probably doomed a few hours of my future time anyway.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
I'm looking for a DOS-era game. It was a top-down shooter with "tank movement" control scheme, buying weapons/ammo before each round and aliens. It had a weird graphics mode/resolution (320x400?), was designed for 3 players (as in, info bar space specifically divided into spaces for 3 players, not 2 not 4) and the devs were Finnish IIRC. Anyone have an idea?

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Is it Threat? The dev names at the bottom of the page look extremely Finnish and it matches everything else

https://www.mobygames.com/game/dos/threat

That's it, thanks!

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
DOS game, SF strategy, the premise is that you return to the solar system after either some off-system scientific journey lasting hundreds of years and/or having spent said time in cryo-sleep (forgot which one) and you basically have to rediscover the solar system all over again and learn what the hell happened in the meantime.

And no, it's NOT Star Control 2 aka Ur-Quan Masters.

Pierzak fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Apr 9, 2020

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
Crisis averted, but thanks for reminding me to google poo poo, it was Millennium and literally the first result for "dos game return to solar system" :doh:

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
Looking for a 00s adventure/horror(?) game, it was about 3 people stranded in some space station/ship where a deadly virus killed most of the crew. The gimmick was that all 3 had skills essential to success, but they could never meet because each carried a different strain of the virus which would kill them upon contact with the others.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

al-azad posted:

Martian Gothic
Thanks.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

The Joe Man posted:

is nuclear strike good? the pc version wouldn't run on anything except win95 or something so my copy was useless

Loved it, it's either the second best or the best in the series, depending on whether you classify Future Cop as true Strike game.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Cardiovorax posted:

Mhh... no, it was not block-based like that. The jungle actually looked like jungle, with plants and a background and everything. I'm talking about big, fully-animated sprites for the later remake and really old, blobs of color graphics for the classic version. I think it may have been a C64 game, even, not PC.

The specific bit about the SVGA remake makes me think of Pitfall.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
I remember playing a game (RTS most likely) with a biotech faction/unit(?) whose activation soundbite was "Whatever you need, we breed." I've got it stuck in my head and it bugs me. Anyone know what it might be? No, I don't remember any more details.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Lprsti99 posted:

I vaguely remember a retro-style game (want to say it was a shmup kinda deal). The gimmick was that everything was procgen, and you could basically "invade" an enemy, so they became the new level, and your actions in them could affect the behavior of that enemy when you left them. Or, you could invade one of the enemies inside of the first enemy, and just keep going deeper. I don't recall whether it was all that good, but I can't get it out of my head.

It's definitely not what you're looking for, but do check out Warning Forever.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Beezle posted:

What up! Trying to find a game from the mid 90s, probably on the Amiga, which was a turn based top-down alien/monster footballesque sports game. Like mutant league games youd have different combos of monsters that were good or bad at certain things, like a frog that could move really far but couldn't hold the ball for poo poo. Also you could give your team performance enhancing drugs between matches. Any ideas?

Complete guess but is it M.U.D.S. aka Mean Ugly Dirty Sport?

Pierzak fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Sep 22, 2020

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Serperoth posted:

I remember playing a game, I believe it was the demo, around 10-15 years ago (very rough timeframe). You were this little spaceship-looking shooter, and you could rotate within the edges of a round playfield. There was no depth to the playfield (not like that one shooter), but instead you shot what was like, germs or organisms inside basically a petri dish. Does that ring a bell to anyone? I tried a few keyword searches but I'm getting flash games and irrelevant results more than anything useful

Like Tempest, but you didn't move the ship around but had a fixed gun and rotated the dish instead? That definitely wasn't a flash game. I think I still have it somewhere.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Serperoth posted:

Well drat I found it, it was Dr. Blob's Organism https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qZNcul4DJiM
Motherfucker, I specifically searched for blob and didn't found it. Great job!

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Serperoth posted:

If it's any consolation, it's free now. A 600 MHz or better processor is recommended, and 32M of hard drive space: http://www.digital-eel.com/organism/

Sorry, can't handle that. The rampant specs bloat is loving bullshit.

Pierzak fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Nov 23, 2020

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
Flash game, visually very much in the style of Binding of Isaac (made a few years earlier than BoI IIRC), to the point that I'm wondering if it wasn't made by the same guy. You played some kind of a dead bird (vulture?) fetus.

Pierzak fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Dec 4, 2020

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Hwurmp posted:

Carious Weltling
MOTHERFUCKER! I can already tell by the name, yes it is what I was thinking about. Thanks a bunch.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
Early Windows (3.11 or early 95) era. Top-down shooter where the setting was inside your computer, i.e. the levels were pulled from your actual directory structure and you had to defend your files against viruses and other stuff. I remember it had a racing mode (or mod?) where you could pull tight turns using a grappling hook.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
Definitely not this. It was top-down view and definitely not 3D.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

MMAgCh posted:

Maybe Operation: Inner Space? God, those were the days.

Yes, this is it! It even has the racing mode and grapple in the screenshots! :swoon:

I remember getting convinced as a kid that the game will delete your actual files if you destroy them in-game :haw:

Pierzak fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Apr 1, 2021

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

Was it Ogre Battle 64? Different console, but right around that time and matched your description.

There was a PSX version of Ogre Battle: The March of the Black Queen, IIRC very similar to the SNES one, and it sounds very much like it.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
Text game (new-ish, maybe last decade?), its gimmick was that you could take metaphors from descriptions and use them as literal objects, like if the game described stars in the sky looking like embers from a dying fire, you could take an ember and use it to light your cigarette.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

Sounds like PataNoir, there was a pure text adventure version of it too, here.

Yes it is, and a pure text version is even better! Thanks!

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

ymgve posted:

That just reminded me, if you like text adventures, you should play https://emshort.blog/2012/12/31/counterfeit-monkey

Sounds delicious, will check.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

KennyMan666 posted:

Eternal Daughter
It's also available straight from Derek Yu's site.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
OK, this one's recent, but I missed the name: a faux-retro adventure game that I can only describe as "X-Files in the visual style of Zak McKracken".

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Veib posted:

Thimbleweed Park

It's literally made by oldschool Lucasarts guys who worked on Zak McKracken
Thanks!

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Pablo Nergigante posted:

I think this is Golden Light
Okay what the gently caress?

Dip Viscous posted:

Copysoft accidentally made all of the full versions of their games viewable and downloadable
Name very much on point.

Pierzak fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Aug 6, 2021

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

eonwe posted:

I remember playing a game on...maybe Windows 95. It was sort of around the time I played Castle of the Winds. It was a lot like Advance Wars. You had a top down voew of a grid based map and had tanks and stuff.

Anyone know wtf this was

Something of the Battle Isle series?

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Serperoth posted:

I've had a specific game stuck in my head for a while, might as well ask.

An artillery game, two player (probably had a 1P vs computer mode), two cannons, a red and a green one, indicated just by flags, and what you could do is just set your angle with a number and your power, no mouse dragging and dropping. I remember the prompt looking like a basic Windows prompt. This would've been around Windows 98ish, so late 90s, but the game felt old even by then. I'm mostly curious on the name, as the game was incredibly simple, no weapons, just the shots. Terrain was randomly generated I want to say.

I'd like to latch on with a similar thing:

DOS artillery game in 3D, the landscape was white-on-black wireframe while the explosions (nuke mushroom clouds and the like) were filled in. It was full 3D in that you could aim in 360 degrees around you. Two specific things I remember was that one of the maps was around a volcano with a crater full of lava, you could blow the side of the crater and the lava would flow out, and that one of the weapons was some kind of green toxic moss that would remain where it hit and grow with each subsequent turn.

Another thing, since we had a piracy chat recently, I remember some game like 10(?) years ago where the dev, having learned about pirate copies of his work floating around, not only didn't get publicly pissed off but actually posted a "pirate edition" torrent of his game on Pirate Bay or similar site. Anyone remember what that was?

Pierzak fucked around with this message at 08:29 on Aug 7, 2021

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Zathril posted:

It doesn't exactly fit, but is this Genocide?

It fits exactly, including the map I was thinking of! It seems I remembered the landscape being filled wrong, or maybe I just played it on a lovely school computer and turned it off for faster gameplay? Either way, it's the game I was looking for, thanks!

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
I'm looking for an old experimental fighting game (boxing? wrestling? sumo?). It had very bare-bones graphics and its gimmick was turn-based mechanics where you control your fighter by setting the pull on specific muscles.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Mierenneuker posted:

That is Toribash.
Thread delivers.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Fat Samurai posted:

Looking for a PC game, you play as a normal guy who suddenly inherits a magic grimoire or apprentices to a wizard or something like that. There was a world map (modern Earth), and you would travel from place to place, either for clues to the main plot (big bad wizard wants to conquer Earth) or to gather ingredients to research spells or craft charges for them. Sometimes you'd go into isometric view to blast fantasy evil creatures. The mix of real world and magic was pretty cool.

I think it had King Quest V-ish graphics and colour palette, so early 90's? Maybe?

I haven't played it but the premise of gathering ingredients and crafting spells makes me thing of Spellcraft(?), you might wanna take a look.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Fat Samurai posted:

People in this thread are wizards. That's exactly it. Thanks.
You're welcome. :smugwizard:

Hakkesshu posted:

This sounds like Nox apart from the graphics.
And the real world. And "sometimes".
But thanks for reminding me about Nox, it was neat back in the old days, maybe I should see if it's still playable.

Pierzak fucked around with this message at 11:48 on Oct 19, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
Very old game, probably on Atari ST or Amiga, very likely pre-Wolfenstein 3D. It involved exploring a castle (not sure if it had actual freedom of movement or it was just snapshots of 3D environment), and I'm 90% sure the title had something with castle too, but can't remember it for the life of me. I know it was pretty notable at some point. What is it?