Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
A couple old Commodore 64 games I'm trying to remember.

One of them played from first person, and you had a claw-arm thing so I think maybe you were a robot or in a spacesuit or something. You'd go from room to room and some of the rooms had guys in them that would walk around in front of you (enemies?). You could replace the claw with a gun...at least, I think it was a gun. This was from the days before I was willing to read text in videogames, so everything was pretty murky.

Another one was a more traditional side-view (or three-quarters view, actually) game where you played as a gnome or dwarf or something. You could shoot lightning bolts that would travel diagonally upwards from your position. I remember one puzzle involved leading a horse or mule or something onto a treadmill. I think you were trying to assemble a map or something as your ultimate goal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Malcolm posted:

This one is also from my C64 past... Time Tunnel.

http://www.mobygames.com/game/time-tunnel

Ha! Yes, that's it. Excellent. Man, that game was bizarre. I don't think I ever really figured out what I was really doing.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

boof posted:

A bit of a long-shot guess here, but maybe The Mars Saga?

No, I don't think so. The game was realtime, I'm pretty sure, and it had the whole "you can see the weapon you're holding out in front of you" aspect from FPSen. It sounds like The Mars Saga was a traditional dungeon crawler/RPG with some first-person elements? Thanks for the guess, though!

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Look Sharp! posted:

I'm thinking of a (s?)rpg on the SNES or Genesis. All I remember was there was a big tower at the beginning of the game, and you could walk behind it and there was an item hidden by the camera. And I think you had a female party member who was a cleric with blue hair or something.

Dunno about the treasure, but Shining Force 2 has a female cleric with blue hair.

(EDIT holy poo poo the commentary on that page is atrocious. Just look at the character portraits)

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Mira posted:

Decades-old PC game. First-person point & click adventure.

I can only remember the intro (or maybe I only played the demo): Your character started out in a jail cell, and you had to break out using stuff you collected around you like cups and bricks and spoons. The prisoner in the adjoining cell would help you out, and when you were finally successful you could choose to take him along with you. If you didn't, he would curse you out.

I just remember it being really atmospheric and getting kinda' spooked when I was a kid.

Sounds vaguely like a game made with one of those old adventure-game-creation systems. I remember one that was made using that system that I think had an opening like you describe, but unfortunately don't remember the title. I think I found it by finding other games made with the same engine as Ray's Maze, Another Fine Mess, etc. were made with. Looks like the engine's called World Builder.

Of course, if the game you're thinking of ran on something other than a Mac, and had non-B&W graphics, then this theory is shot.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
I just played a board game at my local gaming group and, like the schmuck I am, forgot to note the title of the game before leaving. It's a Euro-style "build an economy, then use that economy to buy points" game; players play as the Japanese, Egyptians, Romans, and "Barbarians" (pretty clearly Mongols). Each player has a personal deck of civ-appropriate buildings, and there's a communal deck of cards too; then there's resources (wood, stone, food, gold, swords, shields) for building cards, destroying cards, protecting cards from being destroyed, etc.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

No Gravitas posted:

I'm not sure... but...

Civilization: The Board Game?

No; for one thing, it only took us two and a half hours to play (and it was a learning game, for me at least). For another, the four factions I listed were the only four factions (barring expansions I wouldn't know about). It's also strictly a "lay cards down on your tableau" kind of game, like Race for the Galaxy (so I guess calling it a "board game" was a bit of a misnomer). Lasts five rounds, at the end you add up all your VPs and the point values of the cards you've played to determine the winner.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
I googled for "card game japan egypt rome barbarian" and found it: it's Imperial Settlers. Should've known Google would be able to figure that one out.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Bluhman posted:

[*]For Mac: I don't know why San Diego school computers would have this, but I'm not complaining. It's an FPS where you play as a Raptor with a cannon on their back and kill other dinosaurs with your guns, which usually shoot orange balls or something. Mid-late 90s 3D graphics.

Sounds like Nanosaur to me; it shipped on the first-gen iMacs, which is probably why it was on school systems. Though that was a third-person game, not first-person.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
...seriously, guys? We're going to fall for this?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

The Postman posted:

This is from my early memories so bear with me. The game was a sidescroller for the NES where I believe you played as someone sneaking around a dark city in the first level. Thats all I played of it but I can still remember the tune that played.

Was it Nightshade by any chance?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Sounds like Arcade America. Which I only know about because of Freeman's Mind.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

david... posted:

I spent an evening trying to find any trace of this, it was a mech/walker game with very low polygons, each mech had two legs, the polygons were so low that i remember them just having points for feet, the joints for the legs were backwards so they ran like chickens, there were also a bunch of different types, light medium and heavy i believe and when you moved the mouse the 'head' would move wherever you looked and the legs would compensate, you'd fight other mechs in arenas and i believe it was just a versus game.

Avara. The Ambrosia Software guys made it (or published it, anyway). I "played" it singleplayer, which mostly amounted to wandering around and destroying automated defenses.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
That reminds me of a vertical scrolling shooter I saw once as an arcade machine as a kid. The main thing I remember about it was that on your last (or maybe it was second to last) life you were given this gigantic ship with extra firepower...of course, as a kid I was poo poo at dodging so I still got shot down instantly. But I thought it was awesome.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Oh, on the subject of shmups, an arcade shmup which had both vertical and horizontally-scrolling segments. Normally the game would be vertically-scrolling, but every once in awhile there'd be a giant hole in the ground that you could fly into for a horizontally-scrolling section. I think this was one of those games where you had separate buttons for air-to-air and air-to-ground weapons, too.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

...! posted:

Life Force?

No, in this game the transitions were optional. Like, there'd be a giant explosion that'd create a hole in the ground, and you could either fly into the hole (thus starting a horizontal section) or continue on the surface.

quote:

Legendary Wings
Nope, it was a ship-based shmup. I guess not a space ship (or at least the first level was set on a planet), but definitely not dudes with wings.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Neo Rasa posted:

Did the player sprite change perspective when the areas changed? It might be Acrobat Mission or Ark Area. Possibly MagMax or Atomic Robo-Kid.

Yes, the perspective changed -- I think all of the sprites (except for generic stuff like explosions) were different between the top-down and side-scrolling sections. Acrobat Mission looks a bit too glitzy; this was an older game. It didn't have a "level select" like Ark Area. MagMax (and Hyper Dyne Side Arms) are both mecha, not ships. Atomic Robo-Kid isn't a continuous scroller, from the looks of things.

I'm almost positive I can remember seeing a giant circular explosion, after which there was a hole in the ground with large text saying "IN" and an arrow. Also if you stayed underground in the first level, eventually you'd get forced topside because the boss was only in the vertical-scrolling section.

Oh, and there was a bit in the vertical-scrolling with a long vertical crack down the middle of the screen, which some kind of battleship or installation was built into. Again, this was all in the first level, since I never made it very far in the game.

The gameplay was very traditional scrolling shmup, really -- fly around, grab powerups that directly affected your systems (i.e. no point-buy system like in Gradius), the only really special characteristic was the ability to switch between vertical and horizontal scrolling within a single level.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
That's it! Awesome, thanks for tracking it down. Looks like it's aged better than many shmups, though it's still hewing pretty close to oldschool design principles.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Sage Grimm posted:

"The steam engine was reinvented" cutscene sort of points to Terranigma, but that was top down and it didn't really feature floating continents.

On the other hand, the starting area is pretty bizarre and has crystals up the wazoo.

I don't recall steam engines specifically getting a mention in Terranigma, though. Tech goes straight from medieval knights to airplanes and massive iron fortresses.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

AnimalChin posted:

Anyone know of a game that's just this disarming part?

You might look up Kuru Kuru Kururin, which is similar except that instead of a peg, you have to guide a rotating bar. It's a GBA game.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Gestalt Intellect posted:

I have some distant memories of an ARPG for PS2. It was fantasy of course and had local co-op but I don't remember the name.

It couldn't have been a Gauntlet game, right? I'm sure you would have remembered lines like

:byodame: I LIKE FOOD!

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

HMS Boromir posted:

Game music is within the purview of this thread, right? Because I can't quite place this. 37 seconds in if the timestamp doesn't work.

Also anyone who doesn't know what Dong Dong Never Die is should look at that video because it's amazing.

That music's from the caverns in Castlevania: Symphony of the Night.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Zaphod42 posted:

Cranes in roman times?! :confused:

Cranes are just a fairly straightforward application of levers; I see no reason why the Romans couldn't have had them. Lower weight limits than modern cranes of course, but for the basic operation of "lift heavy object from point A and move it to point B" (mostly for loading/unloading ships) it'd still come in handy.

Cranes as weapons of war, though...you'd have to be an exceptionally poor pilot for dock cranes to become a threat.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
This was an old 2D platformer on the Mac (pre-OSX days). You controlled a robot that I think was on a unicycle, and it had some kind of awkward projectile attack that might literally have been throwing rocks. You had to navigate these small platforming challenges; I think each one was only one screen long. I remember it being very hard with awkward controls, but I also sucked at videogames back then so who knows.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Xile77 posted:

Quagmire?

Yep, that was it! Man, I'd forgotten about the cutscenes. And the robot heals by drinking beer, ha. The game looks about as awkward as I remember it being.

Thanks for the name!

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
And FF2 on the NES had a separate but similar bug where if you cast Wall on an enemy and then cast a lower-leveled Toad or Mini spell on them, they were guaranteed to die (ignoring the poor accuracy of those spells and any resistances the enemy has).

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

HMS Boromir posted:

If you want to go back to it there's a solid PC port on Steam now.

And of course you did a Let's Play of a hard mode hack of it.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Game for the Commodore 64. It had a first-person perspective but you could only pan the view left/right. You'd move from room to room kind of like in a standard adventure game (that is, each room was a "scene" with a single viewpoint, and there were different doors you could take in addition to exiting left/right). You started out with, like, a claw hand or something, but could get other weapons, which I think were guns. I remember fighting a guy who just strafewalked back and forth while staring at me. I might remember having to deal with radiation or air or something like that at some point.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

FFT posted:

hot diggity drat i found it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EEA67hW2-Y8

now i just need to figure out how to emulate MacOS 6 on Windows 7~

Oh geeze, the description reminded me of Taskmaker, which would be pretty awesome to get running on a modern computer. IIRC Basilisk and SheepSaver are the go-to MacOS emulators?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

FFT posted:

I don't know how well the platform fits, but the game description + shareware fits Spiderweb Software's Exile series.

Pretty sure the Exile series on Windows postdates DOS, though. It took awhile for the games to get ported to Windows.

EDIT: dur, and you said you weren't sure about the platform. :downs:

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Gunstar Heroes, maybe? Do you remember anything more about the gameplay? Any particular settings? Notable events?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Fortuitous Bumble posted:

Does anyone remember a World War 2 airplane shmup where you end up flying to the moon? I thought it was 1940-something but there were about 10 different 194_'s

Might be Aero Fighters 3? That one had a lot of weird end levels (to clarify, you got different final levels depending on...something. Pretty sure at least one of 'em was in space).

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Roluth posted:

There's this one old game on a shareware disk I had on an old Mac that broke down years ago. It was some kind of adventure game with almost wireframe graphics (minimalist) and...puzzles invloving number manipulation? The puzzles were basically the whole game. There were a bunch of different areas with different puzzle themes. I also remember an obnoxious "boing", like somebody just said the word. Actually, the sound effects were really low rent, just a guy making sounds. Anybody have any idea what it was?

Miiiight be System's Twilight.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Doorknob Slobber posted:

I'm trying to remember the names of a couple macintosh shareware space games from I think around the time of Escape Velocity. They were both top down 2d style games like EV if I'm remembering correctly.

One started with an A and had you in control of a fleet of ships over some kind of campaign, Achilles or something like that. I remember the main screen had a spaceship that was red. I remember the game being really red. Maybe blue and red were the colors of the fleets you controlled and fought?

The other one had you in charge of a ship and the main gimmick was your crew. It was very star trekky and I remember the crew mates you could get had their own stats and personality and such. Help!

For the first one, Ares?

For the second, I think I remember what you're talking about. You had four crew, they had ratings in various different skills (like repair or scanning or whatever), as well as a rank which determined how many skills they were good at. And you could get Captain Calvin, who was literally Calvin from Calvin & Hobbes (all the crew had portraits and his was completely thematically out-of-place) and had amazing stats. I'm pretty sure you flew that pocket warship from Deep Space Nine.

Sadly, I can't remember what it was called.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
I remember watching an LP of a light gun game (possibly played on a PC with a mouse) where the protagonist was working for a mob boss, trying to get his prize horse back. Google isn't helping, sadly. Any ideas? I don't think the game's more than 10 years old.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
That's it! Thank you.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
90's MacOS game, a spaceship arena combat game. You'd pick a bunch of ships from a roster, choose one to control, I think you could set up teams too. Then go to combat, which was a single screen. Ships would start on the perimeter, there were asteroids in the middle. Different ships had different sprites, maneuverability, health, weapon energy, and primary and secondary attack (though the primary was always shooting some basic bullet pattern). I mostly remember filling every ship slot with the fastest, most fragile ship and then putting them all under AI control; they'd fly into the center of the room at max speed and explode as they collided with each other, the asteroids, and their attacks.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

No, the ships had more basic designs. Come to think, I remember the documentation for the game making a big deal about how it had some fast way to draw triangles (not shaded polygons, just flat-colored triangles). The practical upshot is that the graphics looked kiiiind of like Another World / Out Of This World, but more basic. Like, I'm pretty sure one of the ship designs was just a single-color teardrop shape. Also you could have more than four ships in a fight. I think the cap was 8 or 12.

I also remember downloading fanmade ship packs, which predictably tended to be a little light on balance.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Mulloy posted:

Ok so every couple years I try to find this game my friend and I played in the 80s. And I always fail and end up replaying space quest. It was definitely on the commodore 64 and it was... kind of a space platformer? You were, as I recall, a dude in a space suit with the oxygen tank and such. You could jump and had a little thrust you could use to slow falls and "fly" for short periods. And I recall the levels being like purple-blue? I want to say it had opera or phantom in the title but that's never helped me out in finding anything.

Anyway if anyone knows what this was I would be super grateful.

Reminds me of a game I played that I'm pretty sure was on Commoder 64. It had like 3-5 different game styles, I think, but the only one I remember at all was a side-view labyrinth kind of thing, kind of like La-Mulana (so, 3-4 different possible elevations that platforms could be on, levels mostly consisting of corridors connected by vertical shafts). There was stuff like spikes on the floor that you had to jet over, and ISTR your oxygen or maybe fuel was decreasing steadily and you had to find tanks to replenish it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
What platform was it on? When were you a kid?