Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Thespian Buttocks posted:

i remember having this game for the psx years ago, pre-ps2 release. i cannot remember the name of the game nor too much about it other than you had bugs/monsters and you fought other bug/monsters. you could capture new ones and, i think, merge them to make stronger bugs/monsters

i really cant remember much but this thread reminded me of it. any help would be nice.
Sounds like Jade Cocoon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

airspiritx posted:

When I was 6 or so I played a platformer on the SNES where you were caveman or similar who had to save a princess/his girlfriend; you got different-colored armor (maybe weapons too?) as you went and the gold armor was best. Any ideas?

Funny story about this game: I was borrowing it from a friend when I played it and it taught me what the word "delete" meant. Oops.
I'm pretty sure this is Super Adventure Island 2 which unlike the other games had some RPG/adventure elements.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

PseudoThief posted:

Just had a memory of a game pop into my head today out of nowhere. It was for the PC, sometime between 1995 and 2000 I think.

Consisted of you flying a floating rock fortress through canyons. The fortress had pointy rocks at bottom but was flat on top. You could attach weapons such as cannons to free sections on the top, as well as different thrusters. You could also attach spikes to the outer edges of the fortress.

Objective was to destroy other flying fortresses/players. Fortresses came in a variety of sizes and loadouts.

The game was in 3D/3rd person perspective (3D meaning it had depth, not as in you needed special glasses to see it). I believe the fortress moved at a fixed height but you could control the direction of it using the thrusters. The more/better thrusters you had the faster it moved, the more weight you carried the slower you moved. It also supported multiplayer, most likely LAN but may have been fully online.

The name Stratofortress comes to mind but I can find no reference to it searching online, only pages of the B-52 Stratofortress :(. Fairly sure it had Fortress in the name though. Dunno if anyone will have played the game never mind remember it but any help would be appreciated.
Project Nomads?

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Eurasian jay posted:

The third game is a later, rented snes game. Some sort of action rpg where I remember an early level where you are drawn inside a painting. A later level is based around a huge tree if memory serves right. This would be (I think) early nineties.
This one's gotta be Soul Blazer

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Law posted:

I played this great little game last year, it was an indy game. It was free and lasted about 20-30 minutes iirc. The game set's itself up to be a fun little game where you play as an assassin, collecting money and new gadgets but it's all thrown out the window in the second level. The first level involved pretending you're a waiter and planting a space bug in some guys drink. I remember it having a unique art style, possibly made out of cubes. I think it was made on one of the Quake engines and I remember people being amazed at the pretty bloom effects they'd put in to such an old engine.

I basically remember the entire game except for the name.
Gravity Bone

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Bargain bin Laden posted:

2) Another NES game. It was similar to Dragon Warrior graphically from what I remember, but the fighting was very different. I think it was basically a button mashing-fest, each press would be a turn and you'd do damage, the enemy would do damage. There was no battle screen, and I seem to remember a blue worm-slime thing, and a vampire you had to fight.
Pretty sure this is (big piece of poo poo) Hydlide

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

haiQt posted:

I'm looking for shooter on the PC (and possibly other platforms). I saw a video of it, it had a guy shooting and flying around with a jetpack (not Global Agenda) and he could switch between first and third person.

His mission was to defend some kind of mining driller that came from the sky, when it landed it was drilling resources for him (to complete the objective). It looked like a giant missile. I think he "requested" it with some kind of laser targeting/homing beacon/whatever).

I think there was another NPC who was there to help him defend it, they were being attacked by creatures who were attracted by the earthshocks the drilling machine made. Oh, and the reload animation of a particular gun was kind of wonky like it wasn't done yet.

TLDR; Dude with a jetpack shooting things in first and third person defending a mining driller as his objective.
I believe this is the upcoming Firefall. Basically like a persistent-world, free-to-play Tribes.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

dropkickpikachu posted:

I cannot for the life of me remember the name of this Super NES game I used to play at the neighbor kid's house back in the early 90s.

I remember it was a sidescrolling beat-em-up featuring those more "mature" "badass" versions of the Troll dolls (yknow, the ones with potbellies and fuzzy, brightly colored hair?) and you would beat up dudes and get crystals I think? For points? Or health?

That's pretty much all I remember. I don't even remember the name of those toys the game was licensed off of, or I'm sure I'd be able to find it.
Think I found it. Stone Protectors?

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

pastorrich posted:

I have one: it was a game for the SNES where you played an orange cat with spikey fur and it was a platformer. I remember that one level was an amusement park with a roller-coaster in the background. that's all I remember, but I would really like to play that game again.
Probably Bubsy

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Christo posted:

Okay so I just remembered a game I played once or twice at my friend's house after school in the late 1990s.

-An MMO platformer on PC.
-Very cartoony art style
-Player avatars were comprised of separate head, torso and legs components which could be swapped out as you found new parts.
-I specifically remember one section where if you had limburger cheese in your inventory, giant nose statues would suck you up, allowing you to reach new areas.
Castle Infinity

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Dominic R. posted:

playstation game

top down view

i remember you can drive a tank. whenever you'd drive over the enemy barracks/tents, they would get squished and you could see bloood

whenever you won a level, you'd get a fmv of some dude making a speech

:( please help
Mass Destruction?

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Major Ryan posted:

Ok, this one's been bugging me for a little while now:

Mid Nineties PC fighting game. Round based like Street Fighter etc. I played a demo from a PC Format/PC Gamer disc probably 1994/1995.

Don't think it was proper 3D fighting, but it had some odd isometric style view that gave the impression of being 3D. Very pixelated sprites, wasn't going for polygons, probably a bit too early. I always thought it was called Warriors or had that in the name, but Google isn't helping. I don't think I've ever heard it referenced since, probably bombed.

Just remember it looked pretty good for a game back then and the camera angle was pretty cool.

Anyone got any ideas?
Savage Warriors?

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Discount Viscount posted:

The second is a side-scrolling beat-em up or martial arts action game where the guy wore a purple or blue gi. He was super-deformed style and so were the enemies, I think. I remember very little about this except that the boxart for Mighty Final Fight for the NES sort of reminds me of it. He kind of looked like Guy.
Kageki?

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

LargeHadron posted:

I remember playing a DOS game when I was really young. The DOS command for it was "pega" if I remember correctly...so we always just called it Pega (though Google searching yields no game with this title). You're this guy who perpetually has his arms outstretched in a "STOP!" gesture and you run around moving blocks and stuff to trap enemies. The only enemies I remember were spiders. Also, when you die you turn into a pile of ashes. I think that's all I can remember about it.
Paganitzu

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Diquebutt posted:

I'm gonna go ahead and post two others:

one was a jurassic park videogame for PC where it was managed kind've like an RTS, but not quite. no specifics besides that.

The other was an N64 FPS that was focused around killing these...bug enemies.
The first one is probably Jurassic Park: Chaos Island

EDIT: The second could be one of the Turok games? Body Harvest wasn't first person but bugs were the main enemy

Pablo Nergigante fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Mar 26, 2011

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

evilmiera posted:

Dunno if I've mentioned this one before, might have but I can't recall if I ever got an answer.

Shareware game, platformer. You may or may not have been a dinosaur in a trenchcoat. Urban setting. What I distinctly remember of it is you ended up falling into the maw of some great beast and then the shareware portion ended on a cliffhanger. Or I'm mixing two different games since I played a LOT of platformers back then. It was kind of what shareware did.
Dinosaurs for Hire for the Genesis has you playing as a dinosaur with guns, it opens with you fighting a giant beast who after about 30 seconds knocks you off a dam, and then the first level is in a city

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Captain_Indigo posted:

Looking for a free game I had on my old laptop. It was downloaded from a website rather than on there when I bought it.

The game was an RTS and I believe it had the word 'West' in the title, possibly "Something of Westsomething' - "Tales of Westvale" or something like that. Typical RTS game - move units a set number of squares and attack. Different units can do different things. The graphics were a bit sprite-like, resembling something like Final Fantasy Tactics Advanced.

Would love to play it again, any ideas?
Do you mean Turn-based Strategy? RTS are games like Starcraft. If so it's probably The Battle for Wesnoth.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

LordAndrew posted:

I'm trying to recall an action-adventure game of sorts for the PS1. My memories are faint but I think you played as a cat? I remember there also being a pirate-themed level and like, a bar or something? Not really much to go off of, sorry. :smith: Been like a decade since I played it.

Actually it may have been a fox. Hrm.
Kingsley's Adventure?

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

These Loving Eyes posted:

- a really early PS1 futuristic racing game
- the cover art had a red lamborghinish car that either had mounted laser or machine guns
- in the game, you raced across roads in space
- you could fire rockets and lasers at the other racers
- I think the view was locked to the bonnet of the car so that you couldn't actually see your own vehicle, steering wheel or anything
- distinctive feature: you couldn't reverse nor drive the track the wrong way - if you did a 180 degree turn, the game would automatically turn you the right way again
- the game was total crap but I still want to know what the hell it was.
Red Asphalt aka Rock 'n' Roll Racing II?

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

an_mutt posted:

Crossposting this from the Let's Play Super NES thread about a game I've been looking for for years:

Anybody know what this game is, or if it even exists?
Probably either Smart Ball or Putty/Super Putty

EDIT: Gotta be Super Putty, you collect burgers and hot dogs to restore health

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Regular plain ol' Half-Life also had the snarks which match your description

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Kontradaz posted:

Late 1900's/early 2000's adventure/shooting/exploration game. It was 3D, and I think it was third/first person perspective. It was dark and moody, you could talk to individuals and you had an inventory. I think it was an apocalyptic setting. PC.

Main distinguishing characteristic and the only one i can really recall: the level transitions and save points were marked by an orange/red sign on the ground, it was either a pentagram or an anarchy symbol.
This sounds like Omikron to me

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Imapanda posted:

Alright, I'll give this a shot.

Back in around 2004ish I used to always buy video game magazines that came with the little demo CDs. One of the games on a CD had you playing as a character who rode on a dragon above this MASSIVE landscape wrecking poo poo up, you could land the dragon and fight dudes on the foot and take their poo poo. I remember it had a lot of RPG aspects and I was really surprised at how open the landscape was.

I just remember exploring the world on foot or flying the dragon to defeat enemies being the features. I'm sorry this is kind of vague but I hardly remember much of it. Any clue to what this may be?
Sounds like Drakengard

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Zeether posted:

I was watching The Wizard and at one point Jimmy (the kid who's good at video games) was playing some racing game. It looked a bit like Night Striker crossed with Rad Racer or Outrun. Does anyone know what it was called? They mentioned F-1 Dream at some point so I thought it was that, but it had a Ferrari-esque car in it.
He plays Rad Racer with the Power Glove, are you just thinking of that?

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Hip Gelatinous Cube posted:

Three games:

-An old arcade game. Late 80s/early 90s, I'd say. A side-scroller where you control a space dude in a futuristic setting. Jumpsuits potentially involved. By side-scroller I don''t mean "shooter", but rather something close to Flashback, although much more simplistic. You can jump, crouch. You have a laser gun. You can hide behind boxes, I think. Enemies come through sliding doors. I think your goal is to rescue a princess or something equally original. I remember it being fairly colourful.
This kinda sounds like Rolling Thunder conflated with something else. I may be wrong though!

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Funkmaster General posted:

I asked in a previous incarnation of the thread and nobody was able to turn anything up, so maybe we'll have more luck here.

This is a game I never played, but saw screenshots of in a gaming magazine and was fairly excited about. It was an RTS game set in the stone age. One race controlled dinosaurs while another controlled mammals. Both races were cavemen and their units looked pretty much the same other than the mammal/reptile split as they advanced up their tech trees. There may have been other races as well but I don't know for sure.

What I *do* know is that this game was not Paraworld, which is the only RTS I can find featuring dinosaurs, unless it was, perhaps, an extremely early variation on it.

I'm fairly certain the title of the game in the article was Dawn of War, but if that is correct, it either never came out or somehow made such a little splash that it completely disappeared from the internet by the time the Warhammer 40k RTS of the same name was released.
Jurassic War?

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Roland Jones posted:

I've had one that's been bothering me for years, pretty much since the same year the demo came out and I later lost it, in fact.

Game was on the PlayStation, had a demo on one of those PlayStation Magazine discs, which is all my experience with the game. It was a third-person overhead-view army-ish game. Characters were, as I remember, pill-shaped with Rayman-style hands and feet, and as the above would suggest a rather cartoony look and feel in general. Gameplay was, like, your base had this 2x2 grid, and you'd run to the center or other parts of the map to grab boxes and stack them there, and however you stacked them would decide what you'd get when breaking them open; a single block would just be a pistol, for example (although breaking it off the grid rather than on it got even less), while one stacked upon the other would create another character, and a full 2x2x2 made a tank. You could also get some rare blue boxes that, when added to whatever you were stacking as one of the component blocks, made a much better version. Pretty sure the goal was to just kill all the other guys or destroy their bases or something, but it was surprisingly fun, at least for me at... Whatever age I was back then.
Team Buddies

First result for "block stacking army game psx" :)

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

temple posted:

An amiga/commodore era game. Well known but old. It was black and white or with some green. You played an archer and had to shoot spiders. It was set in a forest. Really low tech but popular at the time. I watched a longplay of it but can't remember its name. Some common name like dark forest.
Forbidden Forest?

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

MightyShadow posted:

There is a game I have been trying to find for a while. I think it was around the time of Windows 95. It had you driving a vehicle (hovercraft? unless I am confusing it with Hover!) in a world made out of coloured geometric shapes. I think some, or most of the shapes in the world were destructible, and if you destroyed a specific part of it, the level couldn't be completed but I can barely remember the game. The objectives were to destroy some of parts of the map I think. It probably came on a demo disk with a lot of games. I seem to remember "Prism3" but if that's the name of the game, I can't find anything related to it. That might have been the name of the cd, or the filename I used to type to install it.
My description is vague, but I hope someone else remembers this game.
Fury3?

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Olivil posted:

I remember playing an arcade racer in the 1990s that was kind of similar to Outrun in that it had quite neat looking pixel art. If I remember correctly there were hills and 90 degrees turns only, I vaguely remember a cop car. Help!

edit: I remember at some part you're in a city, downtown.
Cisco Heat?

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

CrunchyTaco posted:

I cannot remember what this game was from my childhood: The game was an RPG fantasy game that looked similar to Lunar: The Silver Star Story Complete in that the 2D sprites were flat against the background. I don't remember any battle scenes or how it played outside of combat.

I don't recall the plot, however, what I can remember was the art on the back of the game showing some of the heroes (or maybe it was in a magazine). From what I remember it was all humans and the most noticeable part was a lizard/dragon warrior that was looking all :black101: with his armor and holding two swords in a cross pattern in front of his eye.

It might have been on the Sega Saturn or Playstation.
Could be Albert Odyssey for the Saturn. I had it and it was pretty drat generic but had a dragon-dude as a party member.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Tiggum posted:

I've never understood why those novels went in the direction they did. The coolest and most iconic thing about Doom is that you're fighting actual literal demons, in space. So of course book two reveals that the demons are really aliens and moves the action to Earth. What the gently caress?
Doom II takes place on Earth :)

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

EchoBase posted:

I've been trying to remember a game from around '90-'93, it was in the style of the old Gold Box D&D games in that it was a first person viewpoint and you moved on a grid. All the combat took place in that view as I recall, it didn't switch to a map or anything.

The theme was cold-war Berlin, you moved between the East and West Berlin and the whole city was mapped out. You were a spy searching for some components of some sort of weapon (maybe?). The components were hidden around the city and were marked with maybe a radioactive marker. I remember that you had a sensor that beeped when you were close to the part. I think one of the components was hidden in an exhibit in a museum.

I never finished the game primarily because it had a time limit (maybe a nuke went off or something?) and the time limit was really short. Exploring, for example, a sewer maze could take of up all of your time. It was an excercise in constant restarts. I have a feeling that you needed to map out your actions and then win the game with one 'speed run' style perfect play because it just wasn't possible to explore everything in one run.

Any ideas?
Think I found it. The Third Courier?

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

LordZoric posted:

Okay so there was this really old PC (windows 95 era) game that I have only vague memories of playing. I never got too far but I've always wanted to play it again. I can't find ANYTHING on the game online anywhere.

It was medieval themed.
You played a guy who gets bitten by a werewolf in the opening cutscene thing.
The game is on a time limit, you have to figure out how to prevent yourself from turning into a werewolf before the curse sticks forever.
You could explore a town, talk to people, even get in trouble with guards who would and could murder you.
Wolfsbane?

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

EssOEss posted:

It is a racing game from around the year 2000-2002, came out some time around Re-Volt and Need For Speed Hot Pursuit. The world looks great and is really nice looking 3D for its time. As far as I can recall, its name was a single word. I went through the GameSpot list of racing games sorted by year but nothing popped up.

The overall style of the game is "fun" and a little "wacky" and the background music is really lighthearted and easygoing. The graphics are not realistic (e.g. scale of buildings vs cars is wrong) but not too cartoonish, either. Imagine the trains from Transport Tycoon, just with much better graphics engine.

Some track that goes between cities/villages has train tracks running through it - if you get hit by the train, you respawn. There are also other "environment" interactions on the tracks. There is some "mountain valley" track that goes through a view villages (with the train). There is a jungle track, with wooden bridges over waterfalls and rolling stone obstacles. There is an island road track.

The cars are nonrealistic - they are the wrong size and do not move right. Just fun and cartoonish. I recall a (smallish) yellow monster truck being one of them.

Do you know what I am talking about?
What platform was it on?

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Lowen SoDium posted:

PC game from around 2000.

It was a tank battle royal game with power ups/special weapon pickups, deformable terrain, the tanks were very shiny (think one of them was "the shadow tank" and looked like the shadows from Babylon 5). I also think there was an announcer who would say things like "Player 1 got the nuke".

I also, for some reason, seem to remember that it was programmed by one guy who was pretty young and possibly died not long after it came out from cancer or something, but I might have that mixed up with something else.
Found this one, it's called Tread Marks. One of the screenshots shows the shiny B5 Shadow-looking tank, and the lead programmer Seumas McNally died a couple of months after the game came out.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

SUPER NEAT TOY posted:

I'm trying to remember two Sega Saturn games: one I barely remember, but it wasn't really a game per se, it was more like an interactable story or something? The animation style kind of reminded me of Freakazoid or Animaniacs or something but I'm pretty sure you were a pizza guy but you were definitely in some sort of haunted castle. Pretty early on there's a big atrium with a chandelier that I'm almost positive falls down.
Brain Dead 13?

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Ravenicus posted:

It was a very strange rpg I saw videos on youtube of, I think it was an independent JRPG type game? Looked like it was in a dream but with creepy text and there would be this white face that would show up at different parts. I can't even remember if it was an RPG or not, I remember there was a lot of speculation about it though.
Probably Yume Nikki

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Kilazar posted:

Nah it wasn't e-swat, it was kind of a hybrid fantasy future setting. I think the player character had a laser gun but I am not 100% certain.

I was all of 7 or 8 when I played the game. I wish I could go into more detail, but it's all fuzzy in my head. The main thing I remember is it had the best graphics I had seen up to that point. And I used to spend hours just watching people play it when I didn't have quarters of my own.
Maybe Forgotten Worlds?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

packetmantis posted:

The first one was a first-person game where you had to retrieve dinosaur eggs from the past with time travel, and you brought them back to your weird time travel base - there was a maze involved in one part, and there was an extremely terrifying encounter with a huge bug if you went the wrong way, I think? If you failed to retrieve all the eggs in time you got a similarly frightening cutscene with a huge meteor destroying everything. Now that I think about it, it seems a little too dark and scary to be marketed towards kids, but for some reason I do remember it being educational.
This is the "Save the Dinosaur" minigame in 3-D Dinosaur Adventure, and yes it was terrifying when the meteor hit. It was totally marketed towards kids, and was packed in with my family's first computer, a Packard Bell way back in 1994!