Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

There's a game that I remember playing that came from like a PC World demo disc (or similar magazine demo disc) from somewhere aroung late 90's to 2000. I can't remember if it was shareware or just a demo. The game was supposedly an Elite-like according to the disc, and the space flight was that old MS-DOS style of 3D with just solid colour polygons. I think the stuff on space stations was a seperate program that ran in Windows, but trying to go into that always crashed the game for me so I never got to see it.

The one thing I specifically remember was that the cargo ships, instead of having an internal cargo bay, instead had 'cargo pods' that attached to the front of the ship (please forgive the lovely MSPaint):

The cargo pods looked like the thing on the left, and the small cargo ship looked vaguely like the shape on the right with a pair of 'arms' going around the cargo pod. The next larger cargo ship had space for two pods on the front, and the largest had 3 or 4. You could find cargo pods flying between the station you started at and the nearby planet and if you didn't have a pod attached you could scoop them up.

When docking at the one station I could find, you docked by actually flying inside the station and then flying into a docking space.

You could also travel between systems by hyperdrive, but I was a dumb kid who never bothered looking up how to actually get it to work.

Did I just imagine this game or is it something that actually existed? I tried looking for it but couldn't find any information. I thought it might be an X series game as the Terran Frog in X4:CoH vaguely looks like the cargo ship I mentioned and the Terran docking bay in X4 has the same style "fly in side and then dock" shape, but even the first X looks too new to be the game I remembered. Wikipedia seems to be coming up blank too.

Icedude fucked around with this message at 10:32 on Apr 19, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU