Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
I throw this one into these threads once in a while and I'm starting to think I must have dreamed it or something.

Arcade game that's at least 20 years old. I saw it at a bolwing alley. I remember it being a Mario platformer but at this point I'm thinking it must have just looked a lot like Mario. The one thing I remember is watching the guy playing it come upon a giant pie. He tried to jump over it but it was too big and he went to another screen. I'm not sure if the pie killed him, or if it was the end of the level or what but I'd really like to know what the hell this is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

E30User posted:

This isn't really a game, but something that was popular a while back. I'm trying to find the youtube clip of some guy freaking out over losing some weapon in a mmorpg. All I remember was that it wasn't world of warcraft. I think the weapon was named something-song. The clip might have been audio only.

Type "cloud song" into youtube.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

El Negocio posted:

The one I'm thinking of is a top-down shooter in the vein of Zombies Ate My Neighbours but more like Contra in theme (beefy dudes shooting monsters), made around the SNES era. It looked arcadey in nature and you could play coop I think I remember one or most of the levels took place in a jungle/swamp type area.

I know I'm not making it up because I saw a 2 second glimpse of it in the intro credits of a Angry Video Game Nerd episode (or one of his imitators). Unfortunatly I can't remember which video cause that would make it so much easier.

This might be "Total Carnage"

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

chairface posted:

If "years ago" means sometime near 2000, there was a Gauntlet arcade game that worked sorta like this around then. I'm not really sure on this one, but it might steer you more towards the right direction to find that game and thus look for "if you liked this game, you might also like..." stuff.

This is what I was thinking as well.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
I don't think this game came out yet, or maybe it was canceled or something. I just saw a trailer for it around a year ago and never heard of it again. The video featured a man being chased through a ruined city. Everyone is wearing ripped up street clothes and they seem to be survivors of some sort of disaster. The man gets cornered and it's revealed that they're chasing him for a single bottle of water. He throws the bottle onto a section of rickety floor and everyone else fall through when they go chasing after it.

It seemed pretty cool, and I'd like to know more about it. I think it had a simple one word title like "Survive" or "Alive" or something.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

Anjow posted:

I found the answer. I suspected it may have been made by SSI so I went and looked through their list of games on wikipedia, clicking on each in turn. It turns out it was Fantasy Empires. Here's a screenshot:

Note the globes! I was wrong about the map shape though.

I remember this game.

"Build Keeps!!"

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

Orgophlax posted:

I've asked this in every thread like this and haven't gotten a hit yet.

It's a PC with a 3/4 top down view. I never actually played it, only remember screen shots of it from a PC Gamer ad. It's a squad game similar to Jagger Alliance and the screen shot I remember is on a plane. The roof of the plane was removed so that you could see inside. The larger ad was a drawing of a guy with a gag in his mouth with a rifle pointed at his head. Something was painted in blood but I don't remember was it was. I don't have the PC Gamer any more so I can't just look through them all.

Anyone have any ideas at all?

EDIT: This would've been in the 90s.

This might be one of the "Commandos" games.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

Heliophite posted:

I'm looking for a game on the more casual side of the spectrum of gaming. It's pretty old (think late 90's) and it's a kind of solitaire:

The difference was the playfield, which varied on a level basis (from triangles to circles amongst others) and the blocks you had to jump over eachother all had a primary color on the easiest levels. Whenever you jumped a blue over a yellow thing, the remaining block would be green, and so on, until nothing was left or you hit a point treshold.

Anyone? I know the description is pretty vague, but I can't recall any more details and it has been bugging me for weeks now.

I think this came with one of the old versions of windows (I think pre win95) Pretty sure it was called something really generic like "Take One."

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

Synnr posted:

Ok so this was a side-scroller for the SNES, but you could move up and down the screen, kind of like the TMNT game.

-There were three or four characters to be, wizard/archer/at least one more. I'm pretty sure each of them had a bit of audio they played when they did their special attacks

-You picked up these circle things, gold outline with a blue interior, I think they gave you powers. Like every circle thing gave you a use of your power

-Wizards special was this thing where four lightning bolts would strike around him.

-One of the levels had a stone walkway, pillars in the background with the sky between them. I believe you fight a green hydra at some point?

This is stupidly vague but it's killing me.

I don't remember the exact name but it was something like "Dungeon Master."

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

Public Enema posted:

There's this old game that I've had a really hard time finding again. It's from the Windows 95 era, I think and it was freeware.
It was a puzzle-platformer where you played as a little wizard and went around pulling levers and collecting items (I think). I remember it as really hard but it might have been because I last played it when I was like 8 years old.

Maybe Hocus Pocus
http://www.dosgamesarchive.com/download/hocus-pocus/

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

Dubplate Fire posted:

I don't remember much about the game but it was a first person RPG that came in a collection. The graphics were Doomlike. I know this isn't much information. I remember you being able to morph into a monster. I think Darklands was in the pack.

Any chance this is Lands of Lore: Guardians of Destiny?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lands_of_Lore:_Guardians_of_Destiny

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
Way back when I remember reading about this MMO that was going to really mix things up by having all in game money just be represented by real money. It doesn't sound like a big deal now with stuff like second life and all those Korean MMOs but at the time people were saying they were nuts. Does anyone know what I'm talking about or if it ever got off the ground?

For time frame, I think it was supposed to come out around the same time as planetside and anarchy online.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

Octal posted:

There was this Dos game or something that had a hex-based grid and you were like the AI on a space station and the ship had cargo and aliens and humans on it.

You can add lights, airlocks and some defenses I think and you could also suck things out into space.

The aliens hated the lights as they'd be at a disadvantage vs humans and would try to break them along with whatever else was in the room, including airlocks which may mean they breach your locked door to your precious cargo/humans or into the emptiness of space and blast everyone and everything out through the airlock. I think there may have been pressure pads as well or something, but I'm not sure. This was a long time ago I had this it was free most likely and I forgot the name of it and could never find it again.

I hope someone finds this because it sounds pretty cool.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

Jimson posted:

Ok, I have one more that I would love to find.

This was a Console game. It was multiplayer and kind of an "Arena" fighter in that it would place you in some location, that would have like Rivers, and "houses" and things like that. It was Topdown, and all the action happened on the "board." you got to choose your soldiers and the like, and there were different teams, most of them had 3 or 4 characters but there were a few special teams, like a team of just 1 guy, who could run around and place dynamite, and had a super machinegun or something like that. There was a team 2 people, who both had pistols or something, and were fast or some gimmick. If I remember correctly there were in fact a few teams to choose from.

It's not exact but this sounds kinda like General Chaos.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/General_Chaos

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

Project1 posted:

I vaguely remember some game I played a couple of years ago. You were running some MMO, and the graphics were similar to those neon wireframe graphics that Introversion uses, but it wasn't by them. It had a top down view, and you could track what was going on in the game, but only in general terms, and you couldn't get a view of what the MMO was actually like

You had to set monster levels, loot levels, etc., and you could open up new zones. There may have been more going on in the game, but it may just have been a simple management game, I'm not sure.

I think it was an indie game, and I don't remember it being all that good, but I wanted to remember what it was anyway.

I just saw this game linked in a thread here last week, but I have no idea what it was called.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

Diesel_Doc posted:

Sorry if it has been posted before, but I've read a few back and can't find it.

I remember playing this game in middle school, so this would probably put it into the mid to late 90's range. Your character was some sort of school kid detective. You roamed through a school at night, but what exactly the point was I can't remember. What I do remember is there were robots everywhere and you could stop them by taking pictures of them. I seem to remember the graphics being decent for the time.

There also may have been a sequel where you competed against the scientist who made the robots in competitions like car racing, but you had to find parts and build the car. I remember it taught you about gear ratios and stuff like that. These games might have been designed as learning tools for schools to use.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Midnight_Rescue! is the first one. There was a whole series of these that were popular on school computers. I'm not sure exactly what the second one is but it's probably in the "super solvers" series

edit: your second one is Gizmos and Gadgets http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gizmos_%26_Gadgets!

Dr_Amazing fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Nov 4, 2010

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
I'm trying to remember a commodore 64 game. You play as a skateboarder going down a busy highway. Your goal is to avoid running into cars and to pick up bottles to recycle. I think if you rode close enough to a car without getting hit, they would lean out and pass you a bottle.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

techknight posted:

Street Surfer

Yeah this was it. Thanks.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
Oh man we played so much Cross Country Canada in school. I remember one time the teacher offered a bunch of Canada ti the first person to complete it. I ended up only having to deliver something from like Toronto to Ottawa and back. I was done in like 5 minutes.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

Dimentia posted:

The first four I played at school:

1. Edutainment game. PC, probably for Win 3.1 or Windows 95. Part racing, part math test. You'd answer math questions, mostly geometry ones, and each correct answer would move your player ahead a bit. The racing options were deliberately wacky, like brightly-coloured monsters and oddly-shaped cars.

I don't think this is actually right but I'm going to suggest "Quarter Mile Math."
http://www.thequartermile.com/

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
This was an old PC game. It was a 2D space ship game. You could upgrade your ship and talk to other pilots. Right at the beginning you talk to an alien that gives you something. The first bad guys were these red ice-cream cone shaped things.

edit: Thinking back I want to say that the game had the word solar or stellar in the title.

edit 2: Found it. It was called Solar Winds http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solar_Winds

Dr_Amazing fucked around with this message at 08:49 on Mar 19, 2011

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project_Nomads ??

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
This was a Super Nintendo game. Fantasy RPG, but it played more like D&D style rules that final fantasy and was complicated enough that I didn't really figure it out during the rental period. It had an interface similar to those old dungeon hack PC games. You had (created?) 4 characters and you had their portraits and inventories on the side of the screen, with the rest being a first person perspective of the dungeon.

The story had the party going into a dungeon or crypt and immediately being trapped by a cave in.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

Pneub posted:

Might be Wizardry 5:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wizardry_V

This is similar but not it. I'm really sure that you always had the faces of your party on the side of the screen. The opening had a little montage of readying weapons. I remember we laughed that after the sword, and bow and such the cleric type just had a bible or cross or something.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

Genpei Turtle posted:

Eye of the Beholder. Was OK on SNES but MUCH better on PC.

Bingo

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
I've pitched this before and no one has ever gotten it. It was a commodore 64 game. You played on a sort of chess board. It was 2 player and each turn both sides would choose a piece and fight each other. Different pieces had different attacks and I think maybe each side had unique pieces. The only piece I remember was a bird. (maybe a phoenix) Its only attack was exploding, but it could survive explosions and keep exploding over and over again. I remember it was my favorite because it could dodge other attacks by exploding just before they hit.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
It sure was. My dad hated the Phoenix.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

Hakkesshu posted:

Settlers 3, maybe? The scaffolding in that game stands out to me for some reason.

That was going to be my guess too. I loved how they would carry over all the building materials and start hammering up a building.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

Cemetry Gator posted:

It's a DOS Civil War strategy game. The graphics were mostly black and white, and I remember that most of the icons were either grey or blue hats. I remember that if you conquered most of the southern states, there'd be status updates saying that the Confederate soldiers are leaving their posts because they are worried about their families.

This is probably too recent but it's the first thing I thought of.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battleground_2:_Gettysburg

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
I think I've said this one before but it never got an answer.

It was an arcade game that I saw around the early 90s some time. Graphics were pretty good maybe high-SNES level. It played a lot like the NES game kung-fu. You were a warrior/ barbarian type that was just walking though an outdoor area. There may have been bad guys but I mostly remember knives and arrows and things flying in from the right that you had to dodge or block. It sticks in my mind because it was the first time I ever saw an arcade game that was set up to play for free, and my mom parked me on it for like 2 hours while she went shopping.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
Sorry it's none of these. I'm pretty sure the levels were just flat and the first level was definitely outdoors. I was thinking medieval warrior but it may have been a more generic double dragon style tough guy.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

Neo Rasa posted:

China Warrior for Turbo Graphx?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E6wX7HwNhuQ

It was a lot like this but I don't think this is it. Maybe it's bad memories but I remember it being a lot faster paced and the screen was zoomed out more.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

FisheyStix posted:

Ok, so heregoes. When I was a kid, my dad used to play this first person shooter-type game where you played this spaceship, and you flew around on planets picking up powerups and different guns and stuff. One of which was like the BFG-9000 or something. And you would fly into these pyramids and fight bosses that looked like giant snakes. I remember a kind of scenic desert level. The BFG gun wasn't actually a gun, but a missle, and it exploded and killed every enemy around you. I'm sure it was 3-D... but I can't think of the name at all.

This has to be Fury3 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6_8tSpXLuK8

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
I think this was a free PC game. It was a sort of tower defense game where I think it was easy to build a lot of towers but they shared energy. You had to balance the power drain from all the towers. I think there may have been a way to shoot power forward like the prism towers in Red Alert.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

Zaodai posted:

If it was a flash game, it may have been one of the Creeper World series.

It was kind of similar but it wasn't a flash game. I'm sure it was freeware but you had to download it.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
How's this for a challenge? I've been going through some old VHS tapes and converting and came across this (kind of embarrassing) old video of me. Can anyone identify the game on the commodore behind me?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I7hIxmoG1as

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
I saw a guy on train playing this cellphone game. It's like an RPG but it looks like you attack by shooting your guys into bad guys. I think you have to try to make them bounce a bunch of times to get combos. I'm in Japan so it might be something that's only available here.

Also what's that game where you're at a couples house while they argue and it understands different things you type?

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

Nevvy Z posted:

Sounds like Princess Punt

From the same people who brought you the highly successful PAD.

It was kind of like this. But it looked more like a SNES RPG with each side having their guys in a line from a sort if top down isometric perspective. The controls looked like a pool game and characters would bounce around the room.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
There was a roguelike a few years back. It was being made by someone on these forums. It was post apocalyptic and I think the title came from what there were calling the area it took place in. You could be a normal human and get more skill points, or a mutant with various good and bad abilities. It was a pretty cool game but a little rough and I'd like to see where it's at now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

juliuspringle posted:

Is it Caves of Qud?

Yup this is it.