Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
drahma
Sep 24, 2003

I want to feel you from the inside.
I run slow

I work in the social services, and a lot of the people we work with have a lot of regrets. I've asked our case managers to have their clients come out and watch me run. I run so slow, time run backwards. As I waddle along, your life runs in reverse. Scars becomes wounds become chances to exercise better judgement. I run slow.

Like most people, I enjoy running in the mornings, before it gets to hot. Unlike most people, I've been pushed over by a squirrel.

I run slow. Sometimes when I am running, I think of those zen fountains that absorb a drip drip drip of water down a bamboo tube before finally tipping over and dumping their contents into a pool. Each step I take is another drip. I think, that fountain would call me a pussy.

I run slow. But I know where I have been.

Six months ago, I didn't run.

Six months ago, I had heartburn bad enough to keep me from sleeping through the night. Six months ago, I felt like I needed to go to sleep at 2pm. And six months ago, running felt impossible.

I run slow, and I have ways to go. But I can sleep. I feel alive. I can run two, slow, miles. Slowly.

Sometimes I get discouraged. I compare where I am to where other people are. But all that matters is where I am compared to where I was.

Once something good becomes something you are going to do for the rest of your life, the pace becomes less important. I know that my drip drip drip will amount to that deluge, eventually. Someday I will run 3 miles, slowly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cuntrageous
Jun 6, 2008

Goldmine this.

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

WE ALL KNOW WHAT NEEDS TO HAPPEN
This is...beautiful.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
Wow.

Like poetry.

Enfenestrate
Oct 18, 2004

this cat is not chill
I came in here ready to direct you over to the running megathread, but this is way cooler.

TheFrailNinja
Jun 28, 2008
CAN'T SEE SCHOOL BUS, INSISTS HE'S AN EXCELLENT DRIVER

GET OFF THE ROAD SON

APPARENTLY SUCKS AT POSTING TOO
Yup. Genius.

"But all that matters is where I am compared to where I was."

Penguin Radar
Oct 22, 2005

I got overtaken by a 70 - 80 year old the other day. But 6 months ago I couldn't run slowly for 1 minute, now I can run slowly for over 3 miles. Hell, I've been overtaken by a woman pushing a pram.

dozer
Jun 18, 2001

by Ralp
I wanna race the op

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

Someone put this in CD so someone can make a short film of it and win a million art film dollars.

Mons Public
Jun 22, 2006

Sometimes I look for Rupees.
Postin up in this glodmine

SpareChange
Nov 18, 2005
I run pretty loving fast

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

I run slowly too, I ran my personal best last night, 2.75 miles in 30 minutes which amounts to something like a 10:50 per mile average. I started C25K towards the end of June, at that point I could run maybe 8 minutes without stopping. Nowhere to go but upwards and onwards.

Flying_Crab fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Aug 17, 2008

Geno
Apr 26, 2004
STUPID
DICK
someone find his other posts

killer crane
Dec 30, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

This is actually pretty loving inspiring.
It's been a tough month to exercise, and eat right; and i've fallen of the loving horse more times than i'd like to admit here. I keep going to the transformation thread to get inspired, but no dice. But this ain't bad.

Bambina
Sep 25, 2007
I said no biting
I started running a month ago. On my first run, I got overtaken by a big group of 80 year olds in reflector vests.

Then a big group of kids with Down's Syndrome.

But this morning on my run, I can now run faster than the old people. Not the Down's kids yet. But they are next.

Gpig
Feb 16, 2007

woof
It is technically impossible for time to flow backwards. There was never an episode where superman orbited the earth really loving slow to turn back time because it just doesn't work and the creators of the show knew that.

andre patton
Jul 20, 2003
softly...as if I played piano in the dark

Penguin Radar posted:

I got overtaken by a 70 - 80 year old the other day. But 6 months ago I couldn't run slowly for 1 minute, now I can run slowly for over 3 miles. Hell, I've been overtaken by a woman pushing a pram.

I would've tripped both of those loving showboats.

ZeroDays
Feb 11, 2007

the fuck you know about what i need on my mind mother fucker

Gpig posted:

It is technically impossible for time to flow backwards.
You've obviously never ran as slowly as the OP.

Sid Delicious
Oct 31, 2007
:sidvicious:

this thread is inspiring me to start running

RogerRoger
Aug 5, 2008

"Send a message to the ships of the Trade Federation: All droid units must shut PARTY down immediately."
I too have been trying to drop my run time.

I've been running a mile and a half in 12:30. I got it down to 12:25 the other day. It's amazing to think about how much pain goes into shaving those seconds off, and it encourages me to get out there and do it again.

I'm shooting for 1 1/2 miles in 11 minutes. I know I can do it.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

HondaCivet posted:

Someone put this in CD so someone can make a short film of it and win a million art film dollars.

That is actually a pretty good idea, this text with some zen-like runner running along would make a pretty good motivational advertisement.

Downward Spiral
Nov 25, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Gpig posted:

It is technically impossible for time to flow backwards. There was never an episode where superman orbited the earth really loving slow to turn back time because it just doesn't work and the creators of the show knew that.

Well you see this one time on Battlestar Galactica and Heroes, and those shows have much newer science, therefore...

BeastPussy
Jul 15, 2003

im so mumped up lmao
Very nice.

Meatlong Football
Feb 11, 2008

I too, run slow.

Meatlong Football fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Aug 17, 2008

cavefish
Mar 4, 2002

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Yeah, but can you kick MY rear end?

Macnigore
Aug 9, 2008
I was reading the OP while listening to "The Shins - New Slang", perfect combo.

5'd

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

WE ALL KNOW WHAT NEEDS TO HAPPEN
This thread has inspired me to give up on my sprint training...and run slowly.

I'll post my progress later.

RheinholdMessner
May 12, 2001

by Fistgrrl
I used to not run at all. Now I run slow.

Hot Dog Hotline
Jul 24, 2004

Hello? Hello?
Finally, I run faster than someone. Today is a great day!

Nelson Mandela
Jun 4, 2007

SO SHINY
SO CHROME

Bucket-O-Nothing posted:

I too, run slow.

I don't remember this bit from The Matrix.

Candycanes
Apr 7, 2007
That's awesome :)

*is a fellow slow runner, I can slog through 2.25 miles in 25 minutes*

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

Bucket-O-Nothing posted:

I too, run slow.

MAY PAYNE runs slow too? Awesome track.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doorknobjohnny
Apr 29, 2007

ESQ.
Like most everyone here, I came in here to make fun of you for being slow.

That was absolutely beautiful. Good job.