Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slio
Jan 17, 2009

The Colonel posted:

i like that the x goes generally more optimistic and softhearted with everything except it's way more willing to criticize rose and completely switches her role from awkwardly threatening to kill people but never actually doing it to, actually trying to kill alisha multiple times

and hell it works way better and gives them grounds for the best dynamic in the story, lol. and then alisha is allowed to actually exist outside the bounds of sorey's journey in general. the x is both kind of a weirdly paced mess and somehow a much better and more enjoyable story than the game it's based off

Rose in the Anime is near the central character for a lot of it, and heavily to her benefit. Same with Alisha. I really enjoyed that anime a lot.

Zestiria The Game: Well, we tried everything we could, and after 5 minutes of effort have found it's impossible to save Dragons. The only logical answer is to Kill Them All

Zestiria The X: If we work together, shouldering each others burdens, we can do anything!

Wow maybe Sorey in the game should have spent more than a single moment thinking about helping Eizen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Hunt11 posted:

What helps with Van is even though is shown to have somewhat of a point he does die at the end of the game unlike assholes like Duke who were all for a genocide plan but for some reason were allowed to live.

Abyss definitely does not flinch away from death like other Tales games tend to. Every God General dies with the exception of Dist, even the 16 year old girl. Hell Natalia shoots her father in the back for the kill shot. Mohs dies in a pretty gruesome way. Ion dies when in pretty much any other Tales game he'd be miraculously healed somehow through the power of bullshit. Van dies. Luke and/or Asch dies... er, maybe, depending on which set of breadcrumbs the game lays out you want to follow in regards to who the person in the ending is.

Also worst of all Frings dies after you invest half of your loving life running back and forth to hook him up with Cecile. :argh:

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
To be fair that was very much what Eizen wanted to happen.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Slio posted:

Rose in the Anime is near the central character for a lot of it, and heavily to her benefit. Same with Alisha. I really enjoyed that anime a lot.

Zestiria The Game: Well, we tried everything we could, and after 5 minutes of effort have found it's impossible to save Dragons. The only logical answer is to Kill Them All

Zestiria The X: If we work together, shouldering each others burdens, we can do anything!

Wow maybe Sorey in the game should have spent more than a single moment thinking about helping Eizen.

And all that but Sorey figures he can save Mao, the biggest dragon ever who has been plugged directly into the biggest source of evil juice ever, even though it's impossible to save dragons, and the guidebook has to retcon this by saying that Mao isn't a full dragon, he's just a not-quite-dragon who looks like a dragon for unrelated reasons???

The X making the payoff that Sorey is the most powerful Shepherd in generations (which was mentioned in the game and forgotten like every other plot point from Hyland) and specifically the Shepherd that saves dragons is just bringing the plot in line with its unearnedly hopeful ending that doesn't jive with the bleak, tragic entire rest of the game.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i love mohs because he's like the evil bishop from symphonia except instead of appearing once, saying "o gently caress" and then running away and getting shifted off to sidequest stuff he just keeps reappearing throughout the plot and slowly losing his poo poo

Ershalim
Sep 22, 2008
Clever Betty

Hunt11 posted:

What helps with Van is even though is shown to have somewhat of a point he does die at the end of the game unlike assholes like Duke who were all for a genocide plan but for some reason were allowed to live.

I think my favorite megaboss turnaround is Maurits (Legendia) where you're at a climactic fight to save the world from him and then after the fight ends he sends you off and you're besties. It's one of the most jarring narrative turns I've ever seen.

re: Zestiria chat: I think the biggest issues seem to be that the plot seems to be pushing the idea that the world is only bad because people are bad, so good people would ideally not be people. Then a big chunk of the journey is Lailah unpersoning Sorey (first physically, and then emotionally by parts). It could work if it were coherent, there's a great tragedy in there somewhere. Lailah kind of sells the pathos in some of her quiet scenes, but the game tone shifts so abruptly and seemingly without cause that it's really hard to get a read on it at all.

Ershalim fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Apr 23, 2020

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i wanna finish legendia some day but that is like the biggest gulf in a tales game between world, aesthetic and writing stuff that i really like and gameplay that's like kind of awful

really think it's the best candidate for a tales remake just cause like. there's so much you could salvage out of that game by giving it a big facelift and a new combat system and maybe a more complete dub, just keep the basic plot stuff and the soundtrack

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
I could not get very far in Legendia, I keep hearing the character arcs are really good but almost everyone starts off incredibly annoying which doesn't help push through the obnoxious gameplay. I quit when I got to the city of mascots, whose music was the last straw in a game that was already a chore.

Ershalim
Sep 22, 2008
Clever Betty

Caphi posted:

I could not get very far in Legendia, I keep hearing the character arcs are really good but almost everyone starts off incredibly annoying which doesn't help push through the obnoxious gameplay. I quit when I got to the city of mascots, whose music was the last straw in a game that was already a chore.

Legendia manages to make some very developed characters, but it also has some incredibly strange missteps. The second half of the game feels very detached from the first half, even if it does have a lot of touching moments in it. The way they handled Schwartz and her whole narrative -- I don't know if I should spoil this or not, I already feel bad I mentioned Maurits when people just mentioned they hadn't played it so.... made what would otherwise be really compelling feel kinda tacked on.

That and they murder a character only to replace it with the same character, but with more racism. It's ... wild.

I definitely second a Legendia remake at some point. There's a lot of good in there, if they fix the battle system up to make it even up to Eternia's standard, integrate the second half of the game into the first half, and don't cast Shirley as a small bird. And maybe fix up the creepier aspects of the Senel/Stella/Shirley thing.

If nothing else, the Wonder Baker needs to ride again.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Another thing about Artorius is that he is really depressed, The reason he has pretty much purged emotion from himself is because if he starts letting them out he will turn into a daemon.

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]
Number 1 priority for Legendia remake should be more Bantam Bouncer tracks

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

MonsterEnvy posted:

Another thing about Artorius is that he is really depressed, The reason he has pretty much purged emotion from himself is because if he starts letting them out he will turn into a daemon.

I mean a lot of Berseria is about masks used as coping mechanisms. Velvet plays the villain because that's the only way she can rationalize what she's doing. Magilou pretends she doesn't feel and puts on an act because she doesn't want the vulnerability of caring - realizing Melchior is in the same boat is what lets her own him. Eleanor basically repeats Artorius' dogma to not get torn apart by her own compassion. Phi grows from being a tool to changing the world singlehandedly.

Artorius plays a role because being honest with himself would be painful, and it's a world where pain is explosive and terminal. That's a consistent thing in Berseria, and it's in contrast to Zestiria, where Sorey gets his personality and values broken down to fulfill the role of a Shepherd given to him by Lailah and Zenrai, Rose defines herself by what she sees as her place in the proper functioning of society, and Mayven lives and dies for his epithet.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

Update on Vesperia run. Despite having a guide, I managed to miss an event where Rita is supposed to name a Blastia and I guess I’m locked out of a side quest now. I could fix it because I have all my old saves, but I’d have to replay like two hours. Cool game.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Arkeus posted:

Zestiria's timeline just doesn't make any sense. For 4/5th of the game they talk as if everything was a long forgotten thing that happened hundreds if not thousands of years ago. And then nope, it was like fifteen years ago.

It was just lazy, and I am talking here as someone who considers Zestiria one of the best Tales games.

The gently caress?

Caphi posted:

To me Legendia is like Vesperia: hyped up for some reason but actually quite poo poo. Yes, even the story. The music was decent I guess.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Apr 23, 2020

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
who hypes up legendia

who has, ever hyped up legendia. ever. who. who has ever done this. what person has said nothing but good things about legendia. what person in history has ever called legendia one of the best tales games

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
genuinely shocked at the statement that tales of legendia, the game people commonly forget even ever existed and is only ever recommend with also mentioning its many issues, was an overhyped game

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

I've always heard it mentioned as some overlooked gem with a great story and music. Those people loving lied.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

lol I forgot I tried playing Legendia around when I tried and failed to get into Abyss and honestly even a decade later I'm still pissed that I'll never get that Sunday afternoon back

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i mean legendia being so obscure among the series means some people who like it are gonna be more passionate about trying to sell it but it's definitely not. vesperia level. where its fanbase is actually fairly vocal across the net

like of course people who really like a weirdo forgotten ps2 rpg are gonna try hard to upsell it

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005

12 hours into Tales of Vesperia’s story, I have no idea what the story is about. Not really a promising beginning.

I like the combat. It’s fine. I kind of wish it was a little more arcade beat-em-upy, but it’s fine. I don’t like the over limit system and many of the skills are just things I should be able to do normally, like step backward while guarding. It’s good enough that I’ll probably finish the game and enjoy it despite the boring story, and might play it again on hard eventually depending on when shelter in place ends.

Ogmius815 fucked around with this message at 08:02 on Apr 23, 2020

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Legendia is an ok anime that accidentally ended up as a video game and has no idea how to handle it.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Ogmius815 posted:

12 hours into Tales of Vesperia’s story, I have no idea what the story is about. Not really a promising beginning.

I like the combat. It’s fine. I kind of wish it was a little more arcade beat-em-upy, but it’s fine. I don’t like the over limit system and many of the skills are just things I should be able to do normally, like step backward while guarding. It’s good enough that I’ll probably finish the game and enjoy it despite the boring story, and might play it again on hard eventually depending on when shelter in place ends.
Vesperia is most fun (or only fun at all, depending on who you ask) on NG+, when you loving finally have all the QoL abilities you've spent the whole game working your rear end off for and you can choose a few more neat things from the grade shop, so if you do decide you're up for a replay you might have a surprisingly good time.

Ershalim
Sep 22, 2008
Clever Betty

The Colonel posted:

i mean legendia being so obscure among the series means some people who like it are gonna be more passionate about trying to sell it but it's definitely not. vesperia level. where its fanbase is actually fairly vocal across the net

like of course people who really like a weirdo forgotten ps2 rpg are gonna try hard to upsell it

Legendia was pretty much seen as the worst Tales before Tempest took that title, then Tempest got demoted so Legendia was worst again until Zestiria. To be fair, the version the West got was definitely worse, since they went with "oh no, we didn't realize the second half of the game wasn't optional so we didn't dub it at all" where most of the Taleses of the era got by with just having their skits ripped out (or undubbed).

Vesperia seems like it expects you to play Yuri for the first playthrough, and then go nuts with whoever + grade shop from then on. I can't imagine trying to main Karol with how slow his kit actually opens up, but maybe people do that...

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

I've always heard it mentioned as some overlooked gem with a great story and music. Those people loving lied.

The music yes, the story? Ehhh. If it were tidied up a little it could probably hit a lot of the notes Rebirth does, but the game's structure needs a rework almost as bad as its battle system does.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i love legendia's writing and cast and even i wouldnt describe it as anything but an interestingly broken mess

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Which tales game is the one where the world turns out to be a big boat or something?

I think the main character gets wrestling moves that are effective on certain enemy types as their gimmick?

I remember that plot point seeming interesting, but bouncing off of it really hard for some reason cause for whatever reason I just wasn't interested in anything else. It probably doesn't help that I played it almost right after finishing Abyss though

Ershalim
Sep 22, 2008
Clever Betty
That one was Legendia, in fact. The gimmick that Senel can bodyslam enemies is kinda fun, but ultimately underdeveloped. Same with Chloe's counter attacks being per species and the chain attacks being kinda crap. Parts of Legendia feel like they have all kinds of love and care in them, the music, the animation, the voice acting (in both languages where it exists) it's all really good. The English version of Hotarubi is still one of my favorite songs in the series -- the depressing lounge singer interpretation of it is amazing.

But the story, primarily due to the pacing and the battles let it down. It also has the biggest joke indignation ever. Still has the big gently caress off incantation and build up, and it just kinda plops out a lovely lightning bolt about half the size of a bear. It's amazingly bad.

I don't remember the full story here so someone might correct me, but it was handed off development-wise to the same group that did most of the spin-off PSP titles, Alfa System Works, I think? They wanted to make it more fighting game-y, but for whatever reason it ended up being less of a fighter than even Eternia, and this was like, 4 iterations of the battle system later.

Ershalim fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Apr 23, 2020

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Legendia was made by Tekken/Soulcalibur people.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

you can really tell its by the tekken team if you look at senel's animations, there's a lot of heft and weight to them in a way the tales series basically never does

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
Email Harada for a remake

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
I'd love a Legendia remake. Or more accurately I'd like for lots of old Tales games to be remastered/rereleased.

Abyss too.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

It's pretty funny that Legendia was made by the Tekken/Soul Calibur team because the game is weak in ways you'd think those developers would excel in and strong in ways you wouldn't expect.

Then again the bonus modes of Soul Calibur games gives me the impression that they really want to make another JRPG but Namco won't allow it.

Ershalim
Sep 22, 2008
Clever Betty

Mr. Fortitude posted:

It's pretty funny that Legendia was made by the Tekken/Soul Calibur team because the game is weak in ways you'd think those developers would excel in and strong in ways you wouldn't expect.

Right? I guess that's why I decided to blame another team entirely. Oops. I guess the combat flows pretty well, but there's just so little to it and all of the enemies end up feeling like massive hp sponges. I can only give so many points for Bread Rain Alpha, and it's just not enough to make up for the rest.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005

Pureauthor posted:

I'd love a Legendia remake. Or more accurately I'd like for lots of old Tales games to be remastered/rereleased.

Abyss too.

Aren't there still loads of old titles that never got an English language release? Hell, I think the Tales of Eternia PSP port was never released in North America despite being available in Europe.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

in the rare instances the combat is 1v1 and you're playing as senel it actually feels really good. like the solo arena with senel is fun. the issues with legendias' combat are largely issues that'd arise if you aren't used to making JRPGs. the pauses when spells fire (you underestimate how often spells will be used), bosses being HP sponges (you overestimate what level the party will be at), awkward progression curve in terms of power and abilities (you don't know how to scale exp or pace upgrades), a lot of characters are jank to play as (you aren't sure if people will play as characters besides senel.)

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
you can really tell legendia's lead combat programmer was the director of a sega dreamcast game that runs at like 20fps and has some of the wonkiest and stiffest platforming and combat i've ever seen

that programmer also worked on wario world and stretch panic which feel pretty good so they were actually capable of better stuff than that but the connection is really funny to me

Ershalim
Sep 22, 2008
Clever Betty
I guess it really does exist.
https://twitter.com/to_crestoria_EN/status/1253626186439131140

non-twit: https://www.gematsu.com/2020/04/tales-of-crestoria-launches-in-early-june-open-beta-test-set-for-early-may

non-link: Crestoria hits beta end of May, planned simultaneous worldwide release sometime in June. New promo vid to drop April 26.

Ershalim fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Apr 24, 2020

Ershalim
Sep 22, 2008
Clever Betty
Double-posting but only because actual content: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IROV8mNEvcY

Crestoria final trailer released and subtitled. Game seems to have a negative hype value around the 'net, so that's neat. I'm kinda torn, since I love the series, but namco's handling of mobile titles has been pretty bad globally, and this one is releasing at a really awkward time to an audience that seems apathetic at best. Oh well. Good luck, Crestoria, hopefully you're not too much of a money-grubbing pile.

I imagine that the timing of the release and subsequent first month spike of users (should it get that) will taper off right around the time of Tales Fest should happen, which was scheduled for June 13th and 14th --- but you know, 'rona. So expect some news about Arise then, I guess? Are they going virtual with the fest this year? I haven't seen much about that either.

e: actually, Crest's full public release isn't until "early June" as is, so unless they're planning to eat its hype themselves by announcing a release date for Arise like a week after, Arise is probably not gonna get a major reveal or a release date at the fest itself, no? Hm. Preemptive bummer.

Ershalim fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Apr 27, 2020

Arkeus
Jul 21, 2013
Crestoria is the mobile game one right? got excited for nothing :(

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Didn't they already make a mobile tales game? Is this yet another one?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

They've done like 3 prior