Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
I like Hibana as a song!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Apologies for the double post but there was some videos showing off Rinwell's spell-storing ability and Law's "I get stronger the longer I go without being hit" abilities.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Cfvbc0pAlM

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Endorph posted:

Its had convos during battle but zestiria emphasized it and had a ton of conversations for certain enemy types, versus just stock lines in a handful of situations and a few convos in specific boss fights

I feel like the issue I've had is that combat chatter tends to get drowned out a lot between standard battle noise and any ambient background music.

Like during the final fight of Xillia everyone comes in and trades barbs and I could not hear half of it.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
It’s kinda dumb when they do that but at least Zestria and Berseria properly subtitle most battle dialogue so you won’t miss out even if you’re playing with Japanese voices. There’s some other stuff you’ll miss out on in Berseria though. :v:

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

ApplesandOranges posted:

I feel like the issue I've had is that combat chatter tends to get drowned out a lot between standard battle noise and any ambient background music.

Like during the final fight of Xillia everyone comes in and trades barbs and I could not hear half of it.
tbf xillia's sound mixing was completely terrible in general

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Mutton, fresh mutton

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

During the steam sale I picked up Zestiria and while I went in fully expecting it to be trash I don't hate it? Actually kinda fun? The cast is a little dull and I wish equipment dropped for frequently so I can mess with the skills more but I'm feeling it. Maybe the hammer just needs to drop on it but I've been playing for over 20 hours. The music in the fire trial shrine slaps by the way.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the water shrine and the last third of the story is when things really fall apart. the bit you're at now is when the game actually kinda works.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

The big thing so far is that the game really wants me to mess around with equipment skills but that's really hard! It's like the game expects loot to shower down like a Diablo clone but I get relatively few pieces from combat and doubly so you can only fuse the equipment of the same name. If you could just fuse whatever to whatever else this system would rock.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Zestiria takes its first nose dive with the war, but the Trials are kind of abstract so you can slide through them just engaging with the dungeons instead of the Malevolence nonsense.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
I'm sorry did you not like Rising Up?

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
rising up doesnt play in the first war scene

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
wow I'm getting it mixed up

Rising Up is one of Zestiria's highlights, tho

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Rising Up is a real good setpiece (though subject to the vagaries of Zestiria combat) but the game only gets more hosed up afterwards, so it's a bit of a wash.

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

The game has gone to such absolute poo poo by the time Rising Up happens that having one good bit isn't enough to be worth it.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Just before the war scene (I did not know this was coming to be clear) I discovered that you have very granular control over costume attachments and my obnoxiousness robbed the whole scene of any gravitas.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
dont worry the war scene is absolutely comical with or without attachments it's literally just like four dudes slapping each other in a big field

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
I mean the animated part of the war is basically the only thing in the game that really shows how mythical and/or horrifying the Shepherd would look to pretty much anyone else.

It's a very strange trick Zestiria pulls: it gives you absolutely unique, legendary powers and then makes them feel absolutely boring and mundane.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Zestiria water trial update: It really sucked! A lot! I had to go back in to get the Normin too.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Law got his character trailer before Rinwell. Maybe he joins before her, but then drops out for a bit and then rejoins after she comes back?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NlT_BEPMuSU

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Junpei posted:

Law got his character trailer before Rinwell. Maybe he joins before her, but then drops out for a bit and then rejoins after she comes back?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NlT_BEPMuSU

He is a lot angrier then I thought he would be.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Asbel Without A Sword seems pretty fun.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

played some berseria today for the first time in ages

this still sure is a game with way too many mechanics which is impossible for me to have any fun with

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

Berseria combat is great Eizen is god. It’s got enough simple stuff that it’s fun to press buttons while you can still do crazy poo poo and destroy bosses from full health if you get good momentum going. The real bad combat is Zesteria and Vesperia

RevolverDivider fucked around with this message at 07:17 on Jul 16, 2021

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

I hear the game plays itself if you put it on auto

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Amppelix posted:

played some berseria today for the first time in ages

this still sure is a game with way too many mechanics which is impossible for me to have any fun with
i mean, you just hit buttons. thats the intent.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

i would do that if it was fun but it isn't!

i didn't say it's impossible for me to play or anything. i just can't really have fun and it sours the mood of the whole game. i don't really want to play a tales game where i either skip fights with auto/easy or they feel like a chore the whole way through.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Berseria's combat is fine, the thing that always turns me off even though I've been told multiple times it's way less complicated than it looks on the surface is equipment management. You pick up an insane amount of equipment that all has tiny little modifies to a billion other stats, and instead of towns having a nice linear progression of new town -> strictly better stuff, there's all this merging and juggling and aaaaaaaaaaaaa-

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

that's zestiria's equipment management nightmare's shadow creeping into berseria

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Amppelix posted:

i didn't say it's impossible for me to play or anything. i just can't really have fun and it sours the mood of the whole game. i don't really want to play a tales game where i either skip fights with auto/easy or they feel like a chore the whole way through.
do you know that you can sidestep cancel out of eizen's dragon fireball even when hes up in the air, as soon as he fires it
that parts pretty fun

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

No i don't because i have a hard enough time remembering what artes i set to what buttons and parts in the combo and what they do

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

have you considered hitting buttons

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

I feel like I've heard this one before

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Berseria's Nightmare combat system:

https://twitter.com/ChasingDreamsTV/status/1409932714422194183

Simple controls for humans:

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

Smash Kazuya loving rules

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Amppelix posted:

Don't worry about it too much, I also had no idea what I was doing throughout Berseria aside from 'Magilou, turn off their magic spells and hit them back!' either. I hope that Arise lets you get costumes easily and they're good again because nothing in Berseria really wowed me, a bad fan who liked and has only played Symphonia and Vesperia.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

to try to put my problem in the simplest terms possible: i don't have fun trying to engage with tales of berseria's mechanics. i also do not have fun not engaging with the mechanics. so i just don't have fun.

and that's not an objective failure of game design or whatever, it's simply why i don't like the game that much.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Amppelix posted:

to try to put my problem in the simplest terms possible: i don't have fun trying to engage with tales of berseria's mechanics. i also do not have fun not engaging with the mechanics. so i just don't have fun.

and that's not an objective failure of game design or whatever, it's simply why i don't like the game that much.

So what would you change to make it fun?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

i dunno, i'm not a game designer. remove the battle system and replace it with one from a tales game i like?