Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
You can cook XP food.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
If I remember right (which I might not), Tales of Zestiria had two attack buttons, and I do remember that Tales of Berseria had four attack buttons. Does Tales of Arise also have four attack buttons?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

If I remember right (which I might not), Tales of Zestiria had two attack buttons, and I do remember that Tales of Berseria had four attack buttons. Does Tales of Arise also have four attack buttons?

Yeah three Artes and standard attack plus you unlock another three Artes (mapped to the same buttons) later on that you access by holding down L2.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

JBP posted:

Yeah three Artes and standard attack plus you unlock another three Artes (mapped to the same buttons) later on that you access by holding down L2.

I see, so even more unfriendly to M + KB than Berseria was, just as I was expecting. Thanks for the information. I'll figure out what I want to do before purchasing.

(I did work something out with Berseria to play using M+KB, but it was essentially just remapping my arts for each battle to only use one or two buttons. I am very near the final dungeon though.)

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Sep 18, 2021

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

Kiss me up, touch me, fuckin' rock my world holmes, I don't care

Sydin posted:

Don't give them your money for the exp DLC, if you really just want to pick up some levels fast to keep doing the side content go grab one of the various cheat engine tables that are already out for Arise and set exp gain to something ludicrous.

Yeah why even bother trying to sell the boost dlc on PC when there's trainers and Cheat Engine?

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
I bought a 100K gald pack a day or two after release before the tables were out but otherwise yeah for PC they're pointless for most PC players if they know what they're doing. They probably mostly exist for the console crowd who don't have access to cheating software.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Sydin posted:

Don't give them your money for the exp DLC, if you really just want to pick up some levels fast to keep doing the side content go grab one of the various cheat engine tables that are already out for Arise and set exp gain to something ludicrous.

My PC cant even run doom at a steady 35 fps unless i run it at like 320x240, im on console

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
4th lord: Yeah, I can't really say I like Law at all anymore. This scene (you know the one) just doesn't resonate with me at all considering Law literally uppercut a man to death in revenge. If this was Alphen instead of him, then I could maybe buy it, but Law is the One Character that doesn't get to do this.

Also I think they're kind of exaggerating how much worse this lady is. They said the first two lords look like saints compared to her when the first guy literally worked people to death and then burned their bodies for fuel. In general it feels like Alphen has lost a lot of his edge since the beginning, and not in a way that feels like character development. He feels more like a complete fish out of water then someone that spent the last year enslaved, and I really hope that doesn't stick for the rest of the game.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Senator Drinksalot posted:

Yeah why even bother trying to sell the boost dlc on PC when there's trainers and Cheat Engine?

Because the vast majority of people who play games don't know how to use those things.

A better question would be "Why bother to sell boost DLC when you literally get the same effect free on artifacts just by doing sidequests."

Momomo posted:

4th lord: Yeah, I can't really say I like Law at all anymore. This scene (you know the one) just doesn't resonate with me at all considering Law literally uppercut a man to death in revenge. If this was Alphen instead of him, then I could maybe buy it, but Law is the One Character that doesn't get to do this.

Also I think they're kind of exaggerating how much worse this lady is. They said the first two lords look like saints compared to her when the first guy literally worked people to death and then burned their bodies for fuel. In general it feels like Alphen has lost a lot of his edge since the beginning, and not in a way that feels like character development. He feels more like a complete fish out of water then someone that spent the last year enslaved, and I really hope that doesn't stick for the rest of the game.

Law is literally the only one who could do that because the entire point of the scene is that Law got his revenge and it actually didn't make him happy or give him any future goals past getting his revenge. Like I get why the scene frustrates people but Law isn't going "No! Revenge is Bad" but "No, I like and respect you and I can say from experience that murdering someone doesn't actually make you feel much better."

Barudak
May 7, 2007

That scene single handedly dumpsters the character Law more characters to confuse people permanently and the 8 skits trying to discuss the nuance they wanted fail miserably.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the western concept of justice is obsessed with murder being good and the solution to all problems and the concept of remotely questioning it makes peoples brains shut down

its not an amazingly executed scene but its pretty clear what they were going for and its at least an interesting tact

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Endorph posted:

the western concept of justice is obsessed with murder being good and the solution to all problems and the concept of remotely questioning it makes peoples brains shut down

its not an amazingly executed scene but its pretty clear what they were going for and its at least an interesting tact

This is such a weird read both in what the writers wanted to accomplish where its supposed to parallel an earlier encounter not with a Lord and within the situation itself. Ok team, our objective is to kill the lord of this realm. Oh poo poo she's even more evil than we thought and is the source of death in two realms and turns humans into liquid goo and enjoys taunting them about their deaths. Oh little lady whose parents were previously murdered by this woman, showing this is a repeated pattern and if let go she'll do it again no question, you want to do the thing were here for but for personal reasons? I don't think so

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010
Area 4 spoilers It was just incredibly badly done. If Law had started mansplaining revenge -after- they had defeated the lord and had her at their mercy it'd be one thing. But he literally threw himself in front of an attack for the lord who had just killed a ton of innocent people and who they were just about to battle! It was just so incredibly stupid that it pretty much instantly took me out of the game and I could never take it seriously afterwards.

Also they spend so much time talking about how the Dark Wings and Dahnans are JUST AS BAD as the Renans, despite there being literally no evidence of that being the case. The worst thing the Dark Wings do on screen is be rude to a party member, which uh 300 years of oppression, and causing civilian casualties when bombing the Renans (again, 300 years of oppression and also they had literally no other weapons to use against them except for hoping magical sword guy would show up and solve all their problems). Sure it seemed like they were probably on a dark path, but well that's just assumed and it was way too early to be going BOTH SIDES ARE JUST AS BAD. When one side was literally liquifying innocent people. Which had just happened. Twice. Also the incidental chatter talking about how that lord had been kidnapping people and turning them into zeugles, so presumably they couldn't exactly wait forever to act.

Edit:

ImpAtom posted:

Law is literally the only one who could do that because the entire point of the scene is that Law got his revenge and it actually didn't make him happy or give him any future goals past getting his revenge. Like I get why the scene frustrates people but Law isn't going "No! Revenge is Bad" but "No, I like and respect you and I can say from experience that murdering someone doesn't actually make you feel much better."

See, it really doesn't feel like this though because Law died in area 2 and was replaced with his identical twin Law who has never done anything wrong. The character is an entirely different person after that arc and even the skits/dialogues after seem to just pretend that he was doing entirely different things than what he actually was doing before the party came along (IE for a long time they just act like he was never a collaborator? And his personality is entirely different without even a hint of what changed).

Zeron fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Sep 18, 2021

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

correct

that said i def. agree it was poorly done. i think they wanted to do the idea with the most obviously evil lord to drill it in but they really should have done it with one who was more relatively reasonable.

and like, have the party capture her and then have rinwell sneak out to try and kill her or something. that way it feels more extrajudicial/unnecessary. i think the gender dynamics are also a factor here, it does def. feel like law is being allowed to do something but rinwell isnt even if the point is its a bad thing to do

Endorph fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Sep 18, 2021

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The second Rinwell had beef with Lord 4 I knew That lord would get killed either by another villain or some post fight cutscene bullshit its not your fault and was 100% correct

Honestly the 4th lord is even funnier when and this is very late game, do not mouse over unless well into post opening 2 Her supporters are basically hillary clinton its her time people

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

Barudak posted:

The second Rinwell had beef with Lord 4 I knew That lord would get killed either by another villain or some post fight cutscene bullshit its not your fault and was 100% correct

Honestly the 4th lord is even funnier when and this is very late game, do not mouse over unless well into post opening 2 Her supporters are basically hillary clinton its her time people

Yeah the worst part is her being killed by someone else so they don't have to go into who Rinwell plans to have imprison her, how they're going to hold someone as good with astral artes as Almeidrea (who could at least summon zeugles, and they'd already seen someone teleport. They had Shionne in some Renan tech shackles at the beginning of the game but I don't think the party had access to anything like that), how the actual people of the region would react to sparing her (and if they wouldn't just kill her anyway, if the party turned her over to them)... just murder is bad, but she has to end up dead anyway so Rinwell gets to eat her cake and have it too.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

I have no idea how I'm gonna grind to level 100 for the achievement

I have the gamer completionist brokebrain :sigh:

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

When you beat the game you unlock a ton a post game dungeons and bosses also I assume Arise has the usual array of NG+ bonus that make XP grinding much easier.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

If not on PC for 5 bucks you can also double your XP gain or spend like 10 bucks and jump straight to 99.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Just went to do a Rinwell quest and was confronted with a monster you can't flee twenty levels higher than me. Nice one game maybe you should have just put number next to this poo poo.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

lmao, realm 5 had Kisara just say "thank you Shionne" in a fight after Dohalim healed her while Shionne is gone

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

Phantasium posted:

lmao, realm 5 had Kisara just say "thank you Shionne" in a fight after Dohalim healed her while Shionne is gone

Yeah I took Shionne out of the party for a while after she hit 9999 in all three proficiencies and Kisara says that pretty often when Dohalim heals her.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Hey for people who've gotten far into arise/beaten it post fifth lord is getting on the spaceship a point of no return or can i come back to do sidequests and poo poo. if it isnt a point of no return is there one later?

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib
It's not. You get locked for a bit I think, but can get back pretty soon, and then after the next dungeon your fast travel gets locked until you get out but that doesn't last long either. There's a point later that throws up a textbox that sounds like it might be a point of return, but I haven't gone through it yet. It might also be the final boss, so... In any case I can confirm there is no point of return up until after the room with six teleporters to a room for each element, I think they're named [element] astral energy converter or something

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Staltran posted:

It's not. You get locked for a bit I think, but can get back pretty soon, and then after the next dungeon your fast travel gets locked until you get out but that doesn't last long either. There's a point later that throws up a textbox that sounds like it might be a point of return, but I haven't gone through it yet. It might also be the final boss, so... In any case I can confirm there is no point of return up until after the room with six teleporters to a room for each element, I think they're named [element] astral energy converter or something

Thanks mate. I've done all the quests that dont have monsters past level 50 on the surface so I was wondering.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib
A late game side quest (Spirit Temple) gives a +80% exp artifact. Haven't beaten the game yet so don't know if the usual 2x and 10x grade shop options are available.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Veriun posted:

Story/characters: For once, the game's breakneck pace works in its favor. Kisara's freak-out makes sense when she has no time to digest the newest gut punch when another is delivered immediately after. Oops, Dahnans are sacrificed despite what you thought! (Was the soylent green lake mentioned at any point earlier? Feels like it came out of nowhere, and the whole thing would've been exposed if Dohalim ever got the inclination of actually visiting this "medical facility".) Oops, your brother died! Oops, turns out he died for nothing because your Lord doesn't actually believe in what he preaches and since he doesn't give a poo poo about winning the Contest, he'll probably be replaced when the next contest round begins, meaning life will be poo poo again! No wonder she goes AAAAAAAAAAAAAA (her VA is stellar, like drat, those were some good screams). Except for the whole "suddenly, soylent green lake" thing, I liked this string of scenes immensely. Dohalim's "twist" that he isn't actually a True Believer, but a man plagued with PTSD, felt natural and creates just enough conflict with Kisara that I can see them remaining on good, but strained terms.

Anyway apparently the extremely evil-looking scientist guy is, in fact, evil! Who would've thought it? On to the palace, I guess.

Agreed, that was some top-tier anime melodrama. Not sure what voices you use, but JP Kisara was also good at screaming.

As for the soylent pond, you're given a lot of hints that people are being drained of energy around the city. It's pretty implausible that no one would have noticed, though. They'd have to catch everyone before they started becoming silver-y to prevent people from noticing, and people would also have to somehow not notice that literally no one comes back from the "medical facility."

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Barudak posted:

So uh, where do I grind for levels in this game? Im at the final boss with a party level 54 but all the sidecontent remaining is just level 60+ Bossfights. Is this where I break down and pay2win? Am I supposed to just grind the arena forever?

I felt like I missed something(and maybe I did?) when I got to the last dungeon but most enemies were 5-7+ levels higher than I was. I even did as many sidequests as I could before starting it :negative:

e: the first few fights were hard but the exp seemed to flow quickly. Still, it was quite a shock to see the enemy level

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK fucked around with this message at 12:04 on Sep 18, 2021

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Phantasium posted:

Staltran posted:

Yeah I took Shionne out of the party for a while after she hit 9999 in all three proficiencies and Kisara says that pretty often when Dohalim heals her.

likely a case of the original line not specifying shionne, whoever translated it being presented it without much context but knowing enough of the game to know shionne is the healer. would have to check the jp audio to be sure though, but i played in jp and dont remember anything like that, but then i didnt use kisara much.

stuff like that happens sometimes in dubs, especially with combat barks. it's a less inherently goofy one but trails of cold steel 3 has a mechanic similar to this game's boost strikes, where one character opens an enemy up for a combo attack from a party member, and kurt, one of the party members, has his line when he breaks someone as 'he's down!'

The issue is that the game has several female antagonists as major boss fights :v:

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Final boss thoughts Oh hey Vholran, uh, why are you are even here still? You're entire point in the story was finished like a dungeon ago, and I thought you'd show up again for a final twist and reveal but lol nope just bopping in and out. I do not look forward to you in the DLC

Ershalim
Sep 22, 2008
Clever Betty

JBP posted:

Just went to do a Rinwell quest and was confronted with a monster you can't flee twenty levels higher than me. Nice one game maybe you should have just put number next to this poo poo.

You can definitely take stuff that's way higher level than you, but yeah, it'd be nice if some of it was sign-posted. I think they didn't cuz they wanted there to be some surprise of "oh a zeugle, right here in front of my sidequest?!" which is a little strange when you consider all of them do that, but... y'know.

I think people sleep on penetration as a stat too much. It makes stuff way easier because you break enemies all the time when you stack the hell out of it. It's like how accuracy worked in Destiny 2, if anyone's played that.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Penetration also boosts crits and all arts can crit and basically I've been slamming one move on Alphen since around zone 5 when people stopped staying stunned long enough to use his flame strike.

I thought for sure there would be better post-game grinding opportunities but not really and oh hey is that a sidequest where it wants you to be level 95 what the gently caress Tales of Arise I demolished the final boss at level 55.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Ershalim posted:

You can definitely take stuff that's way higher level than you, but yeah, it'd be nice if some of it was sign-posted. I think they didn't cuz they wanted there to be some surprise of "oh a zeugle, right here in front of my sidequest?!" which is a little strange when you consider all of them do that, but... y'know.

I think people sleep on penetration as a stat too much. It makes stuff way easier because you break enemies all the time when you stack the hell out of it. It's like how accuracy worked in Destiny 2, if anyone's played that.

It's great but it doesn't really matter. Random trash packs aren't going to do anything to you and bosses are immune to break.

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

Barudak posted:

Penetration also boosts crits and all arts can crit and basically I've been slamming one move on Alphen since around zone 5 when people stopped staying stunned long enough to use his flame strike.

I thought for sure there would be better post-game grinding opportunities but not really and oh hey is that a sidequest where it wants you to be level 95 what the gently caress Tales of Arise I demolished the final boss at level 55.

Don't most tales games expect you to play NG+ with all the different modifiers turned on to be able to complete all the content?

mst4k
Apr 18, 2003

budlitemolaram

What exactly do “titles” do when I set them on the L1 screen? Do they give me the bonus for whatever spheres I’ve unlocked or do I get those automatically?

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

I don't think you need to set them in Arise like you do in other games to get the benefits

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

nuketulsa posted:

What exactly do “titles” do when I set them on the L1 screen? Do they give me the bonus for whatever spheres I’ve unlocked or do I get those automatically?
You get the bonuses you've unlocked automatically. I think setting the title just has them appear in that character's status menu and has no other effect.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Endorph posted:

likely a case of the original line not specifying shionne, whoever translated it being presented it without much context but knowing enough of the game to know shionne is the healer. would have to check the jp audio to be sure though, but i played in jp and dont remember anything like that, but then i didnt use kisara much.

stuff like that happens sometimes in dubs, especially with combat barks. it's a less inherently goofy one but trails of cold steel 3 has a mechanic similar to this game's boost strikes, where one character opens an enemy up for a combo attack from a party member, and kurt, one of the party members, has his line when he breaks someone as 'he's down!'

The issue is that the game has several female antagonists as major boss fights :v:

This kind of happens in Arise as well in english, several of the combat lines refer to the opponents as "it". Which seemed kind of rude when fighting people lol.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

Barudak posted:

Final boss thoughts Oh hey Vholran, uh, why are you are even here still? You're entire point in the story was finished like a dungeon ago, and I thought you'd show up again for a final twist and reveal but lol nope just bopping in and out. I do not look forward to you in the DLC

Why the gently caress does Alphen pontificate on his amateur psychoanalysis on Vholran, based on very loving little I might add, and use that as a basis to forgive him? Like dickface you're not even one of his victims get off your high horse for the love of god

i literally paused the game to post angrily about this what is wrong with me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ASenileAnimal
Dec 21, 2017

me, in oblivion guard voice while i fight these bloated hp sacks in the final dungeon: WHY. WONT. YOU. DIE!?