Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Skyelan
Sep 17, 2007

Like others have said, the primary reason I love Tales games is the characters, and a bonus if it has one of the more entertaining battle systems. They're always kind of cliche (Especially Symphonia), yet they feel so much more fleshed out because depending on how much you let yourself view skits, there's constant back and forth, you know how they think and feel about everything going on, about eachother, and most of the stuff about them casually talking about stuff even outside the plot, so it's not like a constant string of exposition and downer angst and crap. They interact more with eachother, when in most RPGs all you know is how characters mesh with the main character and they could be basically nonexistent to eachother.

Abyss is definitely my favorite, for the aforementioned genius of angst-ruining that is Jade, and for the many genre-defying story concepts it introduced like (Huge spoilers, do not mouse over this poo poo if you haven't played) The party not putting up with Luke's bullshit ever, and when he fucks up big they throw up their hands and go 'Screw it, you're worthless, selfish, gullible, and a liability, and you caused the death of innocent people with your crap. Go gently caress yourself', topping it off with not just instantly going 'Oh okay, well, since you're sorry, welcome back'. They berated and doubted his 'change' as much as anyone would. Which in turn lead to the main character becoming likable, and then changing again when he realizes being too selfless made him just as frustrating.

The final boss NOT transforming into a giant monster of doom and ancient evil, just getting his clothes torn, letting down his hair, and throwing himself at you again. This is loving unheard of in jRPGs since practically the conception.

And of course the aforementioned Jade. Nothing helps plot stutters quite like someone who will knowingly make fun of every stereotype they act out and confess he just wants to drive 'you youngsters' insane while he can.

Symphonia is still the best starting point and my recommendation for anyone who hasn't played a Tales game though, so long as you expect a ton of cliches and massively telegraphed plot twists. As suggested, it gets to the point where I'm not sure the whole story isn't a lovingly crafted parody.

vvv I guess I just don't understand how disliking the cast and story doesn't make someone like Jade MORE. He spends all his time making light of drama and wangst, mocking everyone around him, and all around being a dick in response to stupidity. But that's just me. v:v:v

Skyelan fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Aug 21, 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skyelan
Sep 17, 2007

The animated style isn't exactly leaping out at me, but it's still worlds better than the CGI. That's just Uncanny Valley out the wazzoo.

Skyelan
Sep 17, 2007

I liked Legendia a lot more than most, including the characters and story. The thing that killed it for ME though was the encounter rate, and having random battles.

There are maybe two or three RPGs from last gen that I make exceptions for my 'I really really loving hate random battles' policy, and Legendia wasn't one of them, sadly. v:v:v

Skyelan
Sep 17, 2007

Yeah, it definitely reeks of half hearted 'testing the Wii waters'. I'll wait till we get more info about the other Tales Wii game. :colbert:

Skyelan
Sep 17, 2007

Vyse_23 posted:

I thought that was very very cool. I still can't figure out why Tales of Symphonia was called Tales of Symphonia.

Allegedly the way the energy flowed between the two planets and the desire to get them to work in tandem. Or something.

It's still the title Tales of the Abyss should've had, even if 'Abyss' had to do with the game. I mean the entire world revolved around musical concepts. :colbert:

Skyelan
Sep 17, 2007

Gearhead posted:

Considering how well Vesperia sold on the 360, I'm shocked they haven't announced another Tales for the 360 yet...

Did it do that well? Wikipedia, unreliable as it is, seems to show pretty average numbers. :confused:

Skychrono posted:

Mary has a horn in that picture of the status screen. Is that new...?

I haven't played Destiny myself, but from what I can tell it looks like she's just wearing a headband.

Skyelan fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Jan 22, 2009

Skyelan
Sep 17, 2007

Also Abyss has the best character in the whole series: Jade. You don't need to be intelligent enough to subvert cliches (Like Yuri, arguably the second best character in the series), when you can be genre-savy enough to spend all your time mocking the events around you.

Oh sure there will inevitably be some Tales fans who disagree, possibly even to the opposite extreme but that's okay. Every fanbase has its crazies after all.

Skyelan fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Mar 18, 2009

Skyelan
Sep 17, 2007

Samurai Sanders posted:

Uh...what's the April fool's readout on this announcement?

edit: I don't click links and didn't see the scan was already in there. :saddowns:

Still it DOES match with what we know about the Wii Tales game, nothing too wildly different there.

Skyelan fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Apr 1, 2009

Skyelan
Sep 17, 2007

Solice Kirsk posted:

My love for the Tales series is slamming into my distaste of the Smash Bros. series.... I don't know what to think anymore...

...Why? Aside from it being a crossover fighter, it looks nothing like Smash Bros. It just looks like the Tales battle system, just multiplayer and versus. :confused:

Skyelan
Sep 17, 2007

Calaveron posted:

No way would Nintendo allow a high profile RPG not reach America.
Would they?
God, those dicks would totally do that.

Namco has handled every game brought over (AFAIK) aside from Symphonia, so I don't get why you're flipping out at Nintendo...and long before we even know if it's coming or not. :v:

I think Graces will probably make it. I don't like to conspiracy theorize, but it seems to me that Destiny 2 and Rebirth share one common thread of similarity: They're sprited 2D. Maybe Namco didn't think the US would want them or something.

Skyelan fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Jun 30, 2009

Skyelan
Sep 17, 2007

Time out a second, Abyss is fantastic, but should be given an accompanying warning, because if you don't know beforehand you'll wanna drop it almost instantly.

The main character starts out a complete and total unlikable douchebag, although unlike in most games where the star would get a 'get out of backlash' free card the party (including one awesome rear end in a top hat) almost never takes his bullshit. But anyway, he's a jerk for the sole purpose of getting one of the better examples of character development I've seen throughout the game.

tldr; Main character starts as annoying, he gets better.

Skyelan
Sep 17, 2007

Vyse_23 posted:

I had three players for the first battle against Arietta and we went through about five Life Bottles. What the hell do you know that I don't?

She kicked my rear end too, but only a couple of times before I finally started using Free Run. After that, she and most bosses are utter cake.

Skyelan
Sep 17, 2007

Ugh, I hope they at least bring over Graces. It can't be that hard for them to figure out they have the same potential for success in the western market that Symphonia had. That is to say, giving a not-second-rate game to an audience with little for options in the way of RPGs, and they'll happily buy your game.

Skyelan
Sep 17, 2007

Calaveron posted:

Rumor is it's getting a price drop to $200 by the end of the month.

It's already announced, I think it may have taken effect already in fact.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skyelan
Sep 17, 2007

secretplot posted:

Tales of Eternia was the only translated game to have voiced skits. They were removed from Destiny entirely, and were dead silent and awkward from Symphonia onwards.

Legendia had voiced skits the entire game, even with the bizarre goof where the second half of it didn't have any voiced storyline.