Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

wdarkk posted:

He has an entire move line based on tempest. Tempest, Psi Tempest, Omega Tempest, Tempest Beast, and at least one more I can't remember right now.
Tempest Thrust.

Anyway I'm replaying ToS right now and it plays fine for me. My only complaint is it probably has some of the most obtuse dungeons in the series.

EDIT: And if it counts you can get Photon Tempest in a U. Attack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Shadow Temple. Shadow Temple. Shadow Temple.

It hurts.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

wdarkk posted:

Honestly the following mechanic pretty much doesn't bother me. How you think it's bad compared to Ymir Forest of Latheon Gorge is beyond me.
I have no idea why, but I was stuck on Shadow Temple for ages. I blazed through Latheon Gorge, and Ymir Forest only took me a bit to figure out.

But loving Shadow Temple.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

KoB posted:

Wheres the cheapest place to pick up Vesparia? Ive been hankering to play through again.
I got it for 35 US Dollars, used. So I expect that's about the right choice.

Speaking of Vesperia, I've been playing with two of my mates. First time playing multiplayer in a Tales game, and I really like it. Even if 70% of the gameplay is just them mocking my terrible dungeon navigation skills.

But why the gently caress does Estelle love to run up to monsters and attack them while two of us are at low health? We set her to healing, long range, magic using, all that jazz, and she still runs up and whacks people randomly. No one wants to play the healer either (Unless you count Captain Karol), so we're stuck with her being the AI.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Some Numbers posted:

You could just straight up replace her with Karol. If you set him to Heal, he actually heals you.
I mentioned Karol because my friend plays him and also only uses Nice Aid Smash when we yell at him about it.

I did have her set to stop at 25% of TP, though, thanks for the tip.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

COME FORTH, THUNDA OF DA GODZ!

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

ConanThe3rd posted:

The joke is that most of the things being said are fairly accurate ("What the heck is that!?" being a bit weird given that this dood is supposed to be a feared warmongering sonofabitch, "I-It can't be!" should be during the Indignation and there's the lack of a scream after he bites it) but you would never tell between Garfield-Dahos and The war of Kangaroo
Really, most of the lines are perfectly fine. It's just that the voice acting is hilarious.

Hell, "I dwell amongst the abounding lights of heaven." and "Now kneel at the gates of the underworld" are actually pretty cool lines.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

ALL YOUR BASE posted:

Oh well Things could be worse... Ignition could be localizing Tales games instead.

Have you all played Arc Rise Fantasia yet ? :razz:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ScltdX8dFA&feature=related
This is the saddest form of bad voice acting. If the voice acting is really hammy, at least you can tell the voice actors were having fun. If the voice acting is entirely emotionless, at least you can tell they didn't give a poo poo.

This, however, is just sad. You can tell they were trying, but they just have no idea how to sound like a normal human being.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I love this avatar far too much to replace it, but I did the survey even if I've only ever played Vesperia, Legendia, and Symphonia.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

From a gameplay perspective, Dawn of the New World wasn't terrible.

Of course when the only likable new character in your game is one of the villains, you have problems.

Endorph fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Aug 21, 2010

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Policenaut posted:

Don't stop believin', hold on to that-wait what the gently caress Tales of the Tempest?!

Apparently if you search on GameStop's Points thing for Tales games; Graces, Vesperia PS3, and Tempest show up. Someone sent me a thread on a few other websites about this and it's pretty promising. It's like a GameFly leak.
OK so what did you give to the devil in exchange?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Pooptimus Prime posted:

Legendia is actually the BEST TALES.
Vesperia. :smug:

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Xythar posted:

Actually, the only thing that's particularly disappointed me so far is how forgettable the music is despite being composed by Yasunori freaking Mitsuda. The boss theme was pretty rockin' but I'd be hard pressed to remember what anything else so far has sounded like. Mitsuda what happened to you :(
Some of the later boss songs are pretty good, but yeah I don't know what happened.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I used Raven/Repede/Karol/Estelle but that was because I was playing with friends and nobody wanted to play Rita. Or Yuri. or Judith.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Some Numbers posted:

What.

You literally excluded the two best characters in the game. And they're both a ton of fun to play as.
Don't look at me man I was playing Raven and my two friends apparently love dogs and little boys and we figured we needed a healbot.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Best way to play Raven:

Go into overlimit.
Spam his mine move that I forget the name of.
Lure boss over it.
Instant-kill.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The Dirty Burger posted:

Some nice looking grass textures in Abyss
They almost look like the grass in Paper Mario.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

skits are hilarious just because of the way they use character portraits and movement. Here comes Jade from the top of the screen inbetween two people for no reason. Or having people pop in and out from off screen. Or even one where Luke and Guy move across the screen, in front of the other people. I only wish they were voiced, I was spoiled by Symphonia 2 and Vesperia.
My favorite is one in... I think Symphonia, where Raine suddenly pops in with a portrait that takes up half the screen.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

ToS's plot is kind of info dumpy, features a lot of unnecessary techno babble, and has really dumb twists.

On the other hand, Zelos is an awesome character.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Xythar posted:

Is there any other series where the publisher has been so adamant about denying an English release of almost every game despite a vocal fanbase? I mean we even got a Sakura Wars game, eventually. I can only hope the same thing will happen here, and some small JRPG localisation company will pick up the rights to Tales once the series dies and Bamco stop caring.
For god's sake even Super Robot Wars, a game caught in licensing hell, got a few releases over here.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Rascyc posted:

But ... we have had Tales releases? We've had ... quite a lot of Tales releases in fact?
No, I was not aware of this. Thank you for telling me.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Momomo posted:

Are we sure it's a "she"?
I know tales of games have some pretty androgynous characters but there is no way on earth that that is a guy.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Maybe they're slowly weaning the fanbase off of male characters and then they release a Tales of game with an all female cast.

I mean the 360 release of Vesperia only had two adult males in your party.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Belgurdo posted:

Come to think of it, I don't think I've really seen an RPG where most of the cast is female (and aren't customizable blank slates.) Is that thinking a bit too outside the box for RPG makers?
I can't even think of that many RPGs with a female protagonist, where the protagonist isn't a mute.

FF13? Yggdra Union if SRPGs count? Phantom Brave under that same qualifier?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

It isn't familiar at all to me?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Presea? If so say what you will but she's nothing like that.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Rascyc posted:

What game are you referencing here?
Dragon Age 2, probably.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Man, that party shot at the bottom really drives the weird youth-worship thing Japan has going on home.

This is the group saving the world, folks! Only two of them can drink!

I mean maybe it's to appeal to teenagers but teenagers can find adults badass and cool, can't they? They just have to be presented the right way.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

No, the story is about that water-making trinket for the entire 80 hours. :psyduck:

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I kinda liked Yggdrasil's design, but as a villain he was pretty bare-bones. Same with most of the villains, really: since they want you to relate to them, they never do anything to get you to hate them, but since they're villains, they aren't really that likable either. They just sort of exist.

Honestly, most of the side-characters or minor villains would make better big-bads than the main ones in their games. See: Yeager. Say what you will about the guy, at least his goofy accent is memorable.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Eddain posted:

Was there anything redeeming about the two villains Yuri mercilessly killed off in Vesperia?
Nothing, really. I think one was a greedy coward and not really "evil" but still, they were pretty much just two jerks.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Mill Village posted:

Funny that you mention that because Yuri Lowenthal was probably his best in .hack//GU. He's awesome as a power-hungry maniac.
He's a power-hungry maniac in Soul Nomad, too, and he pulls off the role amazingly. So well that it's actually kind of weird when you realize it's him.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Mill Village posted:

I forgot he was in that game. I've had that game for years. I should try to play through it one of these days.
It's a good game. Considering my forums name is taken from it I'm kind of forced to endorse it.

Anyway, back on topic. Tales plots are awful piles of cliches, but I like the characters in them a lot of the time, so... I guess I'm 50% in the "enjoys tales plots" group.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I usually prefer the Main Character playing style, but when I play with friends I usually get stuck with the casters.

And that's why ToV is my favorite.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Megalixir posted:

Luke's voice actor just sounds like another american to me.
Yuri Lowenthal? He's pretty eh sometimes, but then he gets a role that he knocks out of the park, and he's never really bad.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Because, to be frank, there aren't that many English voice actors. At all. If someone's talented, of course they're going to be in everything, because there are like ten people, total, to choose from.

Also I totally buy games because of Liam O'Brien. :colbert:

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

A Tales of Musou game sounds like a fun idea, especially with Co-Op, and ESPECIALLY with Zelos playable. I hope the co-op can be done online.

And I hope it gets released here, but.

EDIT: Wait, PSP? I was expecting Vita.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Is there a character who should obviously join the party but suddenly pulls a Hercule-from-DBZ style "Oh, my stomach hurts" and fucks off just when he should actually join it?

If so it's like the 360 version of Vesperia.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

One of my friends protested losing Kratos as a party member by picking Zelos and doing nothing but taunting.

Tales of Co-Op is amazing if you can actually get four people to come together for like five hours at a time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Megalixir posted:

It's more the fact that the story revolves around the female protagonist travelling in time to save their husband's death from occurring on their wedding day, a very feminine theme. Even if this felt open to both male and female audiences...
Uhm, how does something having a feminine theme completely prevent it from being open to male audiences?