Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]

Evil Fluffy posted:

e: nothing is worse than getting the achievement using Raven to guard break some late-game boss. I forget which guy it was but I tried for hours, even breaking the guy's guard head-on with the right skill didn't trigger it and I gave up because it simply did not want to work, ever.
You had to break the guys guard broken, THEN use the skill. Hope you don't attack him afterward thinking that you have not broken guard and take him out of the Guard Break stun. :suicide:

I think I tried like a million times against that boss to just give up trying to get that poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]

Camel Pimp posted:

You know the problem I have with the Graces combat system and that no one ever seems to complain about; the weaknesses system. Admittedly, on lower difficulties you can just ignore it, but to use it effective there's like a million different weaknesses you have to keep track of, and each and every attack has different attributes which only sometimes make any sort of sense. Maybe I was just playing wrong, but in each and every boss fight I'd check the weakness, and then I'd have to run down the A Arte tree and the B artes to find the relevant skills I could use. Again, not really necessary in the lower difficulties, and I get the point to make you use every ability you've got, but still annoying. I love the Graces system, but this seems like something that any sequels that improve on the system should remedy.

Xillia already kinda remedies this by just making weaknesses strictly just the standard 6 elements.

Edit: On second thought I am literally describing basically every other tales game.

OneDeadman fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Jan 19, 2014

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]
I prefer Abyss over Vesperia but hey Opinions.

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]

Phantasium posted:

If only people complained this much about the ToD remake...

We still wouldn't have it in English! :qq:

Well they recently restarted :v:

Maybe you'll see it in 2016!

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]
A Tales of Legendia remake with a 3D tales combat system and with the Character quests integrated throughout the story. :getin:
and new character designs holy poo poo

I just want to be able spike Egg Bear cubs into their mothers in the glorious 3 dimensions

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]
Milla is also great because unlike many other characters that are "From another world and have no idea how the real world works". She's not completely oblivious but just really misinformed and I find that pretty endearing.

Also, that lisp is somehow the best.

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]
I believe pre-set strategies have been in since maybe Symphonia?

I think it's always a pain to figure out how to set them up but they've been in there.

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]
Playing as a team of Elles with Aviators is probably the best thing about Xillia 2

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]

Space Flower posted:

I'd be happy to give on PS3 Vesperia if they announced a sequel instead.

Or is there a limit for how delusional this thread can get?

I'm pining for a Legendia remake.

That's probably pretty high on the delusional scale.

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]
I just occurred to me, but is Tales of Phantasia the literally most remade game ever? :raise:

It has been remade roughly 5 or so times and the only thing that I can think of that's had that many remakes is maybe one of the early FF games.

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]

Excels posted:

should i feed gaius a friendship potion or do i just have to continue the story

Just continue the story.

The only thing that Friendship levels do is that they give you skill books and artes and letting you use that character in the Post-game dungeon.

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]
I miss the cool Thunder Blade animation that involved swinging the blade made of thunder instead of just stabbing it.
Hell yeah swing a blade of lightning on some idiot monster heads.

Also, I want a grappler tales character again. I want to volleyball spike Peppit babys into their monster moms.

edit: I don't even remember which game had that thunder blade animation.

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]

Caphi posted:

I know Eternia and Xillia have that one, at least.
The Eternia Thunder blade was the one that I was mainly thinking about. That animation is the rad one.

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]

Skeezy posted:

Okay I just picked up Xillia 2 and I've got a question. I know Ludger doesn't talk, save for a couple stupid lines. Is there a plot reason for that, or is this a "you are the main character" situation.

You are the main character.

(but you can totally turn it on in New Game +) ((It's not worth it))

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]

Skeezy posted:

What other weird experimental stuff does Xillia 2 do? The non voiced "you as the main character" is already super weird for Tales and I'm wondering if anything else in here is a one off never again kind of thing that's weird for the series overall.

E. Ludger not talking during cutscenes is one thing but he doesn't talk in battle or on the results screen? That's actually weirder to me lol

It has multiple endings for one.

Just think of Ludger as a masterful mime.

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]

Caphi posted:

Okay, so, you know what I think Tales is ready for? Giant immobile bosses.

They've dabbled before. Phantasia had Pluto, Eternia had Scylla, and Hearts had the Gardenia Core. Pretty much all casters who are nailed to one end of the field.

Graces had Rockagong. :ssh:

Skeezy posted:

Just how important is the Kitty Dispatch stuff? I'm sending Rollo out to find some chipped claws or whatever but he keeps coming back empty handed. It's like the 5th time and all it seems to do is take up space on my current jobs.

I don't mind the kill X amount of enemy ones cause those are quick but man :(

You basically only get attachments from Kitty Dispatch stuff. The cats do get better as you get more cats.

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]

Skeezy posted:

Xillia 2 has a bazongas skit right? Very important.

nope :negative:

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]
The only dungeon puzzle I regularly look up the answer to is the Wind Temple Dungeon in Symphonia. But also gently caress that electric ring puzzle in that base.

but other than that, I don't mind puzzle dungeons :shrug:

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]
Also you pretty much need Elise as much as possible against any boss type enemy that has Light Element attacks.

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]

Excels posted:

doesn't that severely limit the amount of interactions those characters can have?

theres probably a Spooky Beef Stew Eating Ghost skit.

also: I guess the spirits will communicate through sorey and co

OneDeadman fucked around with this message at 07:54 on Jan 23, 2015

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]
One of the good things to come from Zestria is that the OST owns.

Which will probably make me more than happy to play through the game at least once to enjoy it regardless of story weirdness.

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]

TheKingofSprings posted:

Tales of Vesperia wasn't really like that, was it?

I'm pretty sure the entire opening of Vesperia is pretty much that.

Maybe not the whole endless devotion to Estellise? but if I recall correctly it kinda gets thrown in at the end because the last half of vesperia's plot is kinda a mess?

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I've only just started playing Xillia but it's probably my favourite of the 3 Tales Games i've played so far. The only thing that really bothers me about is the huge change in cooking but the (admittedly bland) world map substitute areas don't bother me too much yet, though perhaps they will once my excitement from having a fast-travel system wears off.

Also, speaking of Xillia is it just the early game or is it a lot easier than other tales games? Vesparia still managed to be difficult for me on normal but in Xillia it's been a walk in the park so far. Outside of the Giant Butterfly boss i've never actually had anyone go down and I feel like I can fight random encounters pretty much indefinitely without too much trouble. That hasn't stopped it from being really fun since it has the best interpretation of the battle system from the games i've played and for once every character is really fun to play as pretty much from the get go although Jude and Milla are the best.

I've found most Normal difficulty Tales games are all pretty samey in the difficulty department, except for the crazy difficulty spike boss almost all of them have at some point.

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]
Yeah I just assumed her being a nurse was basically her attempt to reach towards Jude. So, it in a way makes sense that when that plotline gets resolved towards the end of Xillia 1, that she would change to something else.

It's just kinda odd because of the way it just happens offscreen.

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]

Eddain posted:

Those trademarked names are just a triple decoy, Bamco is just gonna release Tales of Phantasia again on the PS4, a la Square-Enix and FFVII.

Bamco has a Tales of Phantasia remake quota each year and by god they're going to meet it.

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]
Carol and Elle are good child characters

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]
The secret is that the new tales protagonist doesn't look like any other female tales protagonist

because she's Yuri Lowell

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]

Volt Catfish posted:

Asbel is like the worst character in his own game, what the gently caress Japan.

Cute Bois

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]

Endorph posted:

by 'classic hero skill set' they really mean 'has demon fang'

and 'has sword rain and it's alpha, beta variations"

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]
Milla is cool because she's pretty chill and level headed about everything but is also a big ol doofus. this is also basically why Gaius is the best character in Xillia 2.

Endorph posted:

i got through xillia 2 fine only really playing as gaius and milla

Yeah, Ludger is loving ridiculous in a game where move diversity is pretty much how you murder bosses and the main combat mechanic, but it's not like they literally just took away all the moves X1 characters had. If anything, everybody in Xillia 2 got buffs to their movesets to make them even better.

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]
Apparently while she was sleeping in her sweet PIRATE VAMPIRE COFFIN or something her clothing got ripped to shreds.

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]

Dragonatrix posted:

Velvet being Pirate Dio Brando would be amazing

How many gels have you eaten?

also, i might have misread that because I don't think Vampires lives take complete turns upon waking up from their sleep?

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]
Maybe they'll finally bring back Senel's rad as hell throw artes. So she can use her bandaged arm to toss around dragons like it aint no thang.

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]
I really actually enjoy the AC system because it's a more straight forward version of Grace's system.

All it really needs is to change to Dodge over to Graces and it would be perfect.

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]
alvin is a good traitor because he betrays the party while wearing aviators.

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]
uh clearly the cameo battle will be Patty and Chat + Wonder Baker Mimi

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]
I hope that Velvet's first mate is in love with her but she tosses him off the side for being a nerd :yarr:

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]
i want to take home gentlemen and sword dancers

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]

Endorph posted:

i am going to pre-order it for ps4 because i like playing games on my big tv

look at this dude not connecting his computer to his TV

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]
While we're on Synopsis pages that we'll never read, Tales of Legendia's synopsises are written from different character point of views so that's a neat thing in a not great game.