Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.

Caphi posted:

I very much like Destiny PS2 (is that what you mean by Destiny R, it's not called that or anything). I think the PS2 one has a more anime script (e.g. I guess Stan is more of a dumb innocent hero instead of a '90s RPG rear end in a top hat, and they made Leon more sad, etc.) but it's been way way too long since I played the original. As a Tales game I find the PS2 one top notch, though. Also I don't think the original has skits or anything? The new one has better systems in basically every regard.

Definite Strikes are magical. Graces needed them. I think Zestiria could have used them too, but in Graces they would have replaced Soul Orbs, which in some ways symbolizes everything I've ever wanted for in Graces.

Not for the first time do I wish that we had gotten Destiny PS2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.

Well, Zestiria itself is pretty vague on how malevolence actually works (at least English, didn't someone here say that the Jap script explained it better?). We know that it's not just simply Good vs Evil going on, more like... a certain level of conviction seems to keep you from generating malevolence, and that's about it.

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.

Coughing Hobo posted:

Just loving give me chain capacity.

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.

Leia was cool cause she used a staff as the martial arts tool it is and that's cool.

Also, she's melee Natalia. Down to the stat spread I wanna say.

Actually, the Xillia 1 party is pretty similar to the Abyss party in general, but maybe that's just because they are both 6 man teams. Similar in the sense of combat roles, not story.

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.

Erg posted:

Milla->Anise
Jude->Guy
Alvin->Luke
Elize->Tear
Rowen->Jade
Leia->Natalia?

I think the only place the parallel kind of breaks is that Anise's roles get split between Alvin and Milla. Milla's definitely the melee/spellcaster hybrid, but Alvin's the one with the big windup attacks.

Exactly this. The fact that Alvin is Karol done right was always awesome. Anise always felt like she needed a few more spells, but Bloody Howling made up for it.

I'm also the weirdo that likes a caster focused party if I can get away with it. Luke/Tear/Jade/Anise for example. Fun was pretty much learning how to keep combos going long enough so the casters could chain cast with each other.

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.

So, in story chat news, that is totally Lailah in the trailers in the mask. I think she might be Artorious's Prime Lord? In which case ???????

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.

I think you will find that Abyss's OST, in fact, owns:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6EGnFgsdDnM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0fN4J_Pd6Vo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=771G25HrAOQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wHSBpMF6kI0

yes I know 2 of them are final boss tracks, shut up. I just really like Abyss ok?!

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.

Really everyone in Xillia should be rocking the aviators.

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.

I used all three of the abyss casters and it was pretty great when they could just keep an enemy staggered between the three of them. I would play as Luke cause kicking him or of the part felt weird.

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.

The Colonel posted:

don't leave out DIST THE ROSE

You mean Dist the Runny.

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

I remember the Tales of Graces battle theme while you are on Fodra just because it was so different and kinda awesome.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Rjs8u5G2A8

I was always a bit fond of Risk it All. Not saying its a good song, just that I liked it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Y9BB_gChDE

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.

I thought Graces was about how Asbel, massive badass that he may be in combat, really sucks at saving anybody

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.

Watched the English trailer finally. Velvet's VA can't scream ARTOROIUS like the jap one can, but no surprise there. Shes good regardless I think.

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.

I might be able to play Destiny remake in my liftime?!

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.

I want to make a Dark Souls reference.

From the demo at least my big issue was just dropping combos left and right, I couldn't keep an enemy chained for the life of me.

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.

Hold on, back up, I guess I missed something. Break Souls have levels? And I guess I'm just dumb cause I didn't realize you were supposed to be swapping members to keep combos going.

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.

Ah, ok. It sounded like there was something important I missed in the demo.

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.

Its bugging me at this point. How long till I get more than the initial 4?

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.

Ah yes, Liger Queen and her 30k hp that needed working through. Good times.

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.

I guess X really is trying to rewrite Zesty to set up another game

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.

wateyad posted:

What if no battle transitions means no battle transitions and you explore dungeons in "the combat engine" then you'd probably get high energy dungeon themes. (Part of me thinks they want to do this. Another part thinks they already have enough problems with not having enough buttons on a controller.)

Infinite Undiscovery and SO5 both did this, but they were both tri ace games so not quite the same thing.

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.

I should replay Graces with a guide open to get all the stuff I'm sure I missed.

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.

I'm the kind of bad who never got one of Asbels A Arte finishers. The left one iirc.

If I do replay it I'll do what I always do and pick a new Main to learn. Found out Presea wrecks house that way.

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.

Raxivace posted:

Man I'd love to see an HD port of Destiny Director's Cut, somehow.

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.

Symphonia was a lot of people's first Tales mostly cause there weren't a lot of jrpgs on GC. It's super dated as doesn't really hold up imo but it's also the most played of the series so...

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.

ImpAtom posted:

Sounds like Shadow Hearts: Covenant to me.

Now I miss Shadow Hearts

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.

When's the next Tales?

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.

wdarkk posted:

I really liked Symphonia up until partway through my LP of it.

Same.

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.

Don't focus on what level the enemies are. If you can fight them effectively your fine. Level doesn't mean a whole lot.

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.

They allow you to adjust the difficulty outside of battle for a reason.

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.

I am excited about a ps3 Vesperia port. If it's just an up rez I'll be disappointed but I'll buy the heck out of it anyway.

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.

I always remember Emils design because a friend pointed out that he's basicslly wearing a halter top.

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.

Hell yes. Give me that.

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.

It's a deathwish.

Still, it's a good time for jrpgs right now.

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.

But then how will i get to hear the best line "Prepare to die, eggbear!"

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.

Does the remaster have a good 100% guide like the original yet?

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.

Caphi posted:

The PS3 version is like 10 years old, there must be one for it.

I'm sure there's a Japanese one at least but i'm lazy and don't want to have to Google translate a decent guide to not miss that loving spear again.

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.

Amppelix posted:

I think I'm getting the feeling that Karol is Alvin 0.5. Or rather, he will be Alvin 0.5 once I get 20 more skills for him that actually enable his mighty charge playstyle.

He is exactly this but way more broken once he has his skillset

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.

Supremezero posted:

In fact, just port literally everything ever to switch. My consistent opinion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.

Everyone in Vesperia is broken, it's great