Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

I want a t-shirt that says Gaius was right. gently caress all the Elympions. The very slow climate change due to spirit climes(or whatever the outcome of those 2 sidequests were, cant remember anymore) in Rieze Maxia might've stopped after Maxwell dispelled the schism once all those rear end in a top hat Elympions were dead.

I have a very different view on that matter.gently caress Gaius, and to a lesser degree gently caress Wingul. Personally I enjoyed Xillia, but almost anything involving those two just got to me because unlike with Ivar the game expected me to take them seriously 100% of the time. They did have some solid moments but anytime Gaius was being a stubborn rear end and opposing the party or when Wingul was displaying his massive hate boner for Rowen I just wanted to scream. I did like it though when Milla called out Gaius for being a complete retard for thinking that keeping the giant doom laser would not backfire as nobody either in the present or in the future would be tempted to misuse it, and all he can do is pout.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Skeezy posted:

If I remember right Symphonia had that bullshit with sidequests where like 10 new sidequests open up when you open the portal to the final boss. The game makes no mention of this at all.

So that's a thing if you're going to buy Symphonia HD next month.

Almost all Tales games do that though so thats not really a surprise.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Phantasium posted:

It's not so much they have an inventory as they have one item they somehow use millions of times. If you steal from them once they can't ever use it again.

EDIT: Also don't play the fight on a higher than normal difficulty. I played it on Hard and maxed out the clock timer for that fight. (And I know I went at least an hour over it.)

I don't know why, but I never had that much difficulty with that fight on moderate. I think I was level 70 at the time if that means much and it did help being Jude as the big bad will always try to hit you with his mystic arte.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

alcharagia posted:

You're not going to get Vesperia.

So no solid potential being doused in the flames of disappointment?

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I just beat the final boss of Vesperia and the secret boss and I have to say that the only reason why the boss was difficult was due to the amount of attacks they had which caused annoying effects such as seal and weak.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Solice Kirsk posted:

So is there any reason why Alvin wasn't the second main character instead of Jude? He's the most interesting character in the game. Pick two: a 15 year old do-gooder "doctor", personification of an ancient god, mercenary with splintered alleagences and a checkered past. I don't think I'll ever truly understand Japan...

Who makes more sense as as a main character? A person who though flawed will try to make change in the world or somebody who is just a cog in a plan and who personally just cares about himself?

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Excels posted:

i think everyone should just like whatever they want without constantly having people rattle off every tiny flaw

Unless I missed some subtext here nobody has gone on the offensive. Most people have just said what game they preferred and then explained why they like it so much.

Also I am a big fan of Tales of the Abyss because it is one of the few RPG games I have seen where the main characters actually understand the relative worth of a humans life. Also the strength of Luke's character ark but thats almost a given when it comes to liking Abyss.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Chaotic Flame posted:

Same here. Is there any other Tales game that's actually explained why your team doesn't get hurt by your own spellcasters' spells?

Abyss does by saying that casters can mark certain individuals as allies which makes them immune to any damage caused by said casters spell. There is a limit to how many people can be marked which is a way to explain away why you can't bring your entire team into a fight and why the villains can attack the party in a city and force them to back down due to collateral damage.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Why can I only have 1 food item at a time?

Why can I only have 15 items at a time? What the gently caress. I hope xillia 2 fixes this because it's dumb and bullshit.

If you mean only have 1 food effect active at the time then it has always been like that.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I am about to start replaying Tales of Graces and try to do things right such as take advantages of in quests and try to really use the Elith or whatever you call it bottle. Does anybody have any advice about how to handle the game?

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
There are only four costumes in the game that are not brought, and two of them come from completing the game so don't worry about those. To find quests just walk around and also pay attention to skits as they can tell you what to do to unlock more parts of a side quest (this is not always the case though). In terms of characters Jude makes the most sense as his side of the story carries a lot of exposition and his character mechanic is a very powerful one that is relatively easy to use and abuse. Also don't neglect the food shop as eventually it starts selling exp boosting dishes which go great with boss fights.

Excels posted:

Buy the +500 Eleth DLC for like one dollar. It seriously helps. There's a free DLC that gives you a bit of extra money and free crafting materials right off the bat, get that also.

Also if you like things that are adorable get the Mini-Sophie that clips onto everyone's shoulders. Graces f only has like two or three accessories without DLC and they all suck.

That's very useful to know and should make things a bit easier.

Hunt11 fucked around with this message at 13:48 on Jun 26, 2014

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Excels posted:

also to everyone who shits on vesperia, you've been wrong since the day you were born.

So are you defending the abomination of a plot when the white haired assholes take over and start driving the story forward?

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Not all Tale sequels are garbage.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Dragonatrix posted:

Nah not really. Most of the beasts are complete jokes that you can steamroll the moment you first run into them. I even ended up beating a couple by accident not even aware they were those things.

Now, the tiger one? THAT one is the only one that is a real bastard, just because of its massive speed advantage.

You know you can run into one of the beasts in the first act right?

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

alcharagia posted:

I desperately need 2 of Jude, Leia, or Alvin to become significantly less fun to play because I've never had multiple characters I really wanted to play in a Tales game before and I'm not at all equipped to make this decision. Help

Well Jude and his snap step when timed right allows him to just wreck bosses and his palm fist art is such a fun art to spam it is amazing. Out of curiosity which characters do you usually link up with?

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I am also a fan of Xillia. The combat was fun, good portions of the story were decent (especially after just coming off Graces) and it has some absolutely amazing skits.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Out of curiosity how does Jude handle seeing Milla again in Xillia 2?

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Volt Catfish posted:

I remember ToV! 1000'd that poo poo. If the third part was structured better it would be the best Tales game for sure, ah well.

The issues with ToV started well before the third act. The first act and the first half of the second act are good but the moment Alexei reveals himself as a villain the entire plot just falls apart.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
And the idea of two people who have been raised together since childhood and consider themselves brothers makes it feel kind of creepy.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Jail's not really gonna work. He'd be freed within ten minutes by one faction or other, and none of them are Yuri :v:.

But he is a party member thus Yuri wouldn't even dream of hurting him.

I actually like how the party reacts to Alvin. As the games goes on the amount the party trusts him starts to fade until they are basically just putting up with him because he can still be useful in a fight, and Alvin starts to quite visibly break as the weight of his actions start to quite literally bury him.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I would also go with Xillia.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
But then you have to deal with Graces story. Xillia at it's worst feels rushed whilst Graces is almost painful to deal with.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Anise is a creepy little girl hitting on rich dudes so she can land a rich husband and lead an easy life who adds nothing to the setting or plot other than being Ion's bodyguard, a role she's frankly quite poo poo at.

She's also weak as all hell. Elize and Teepo would murder this child.

How far are you in the game? Both issues you have with her actually have decent explanations at the midpoint of act 2 and the start of act 3 respectively.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Renoistic posted:

As long as the plot isn't a garbage fire like Xillia 2 was I'll probably be happy. Thanks! I might get Hearts too - it's been a while since I played anything good on my Vita.

Graces plot has some good moments but it suffers from a really idiotic protagonist and starts to only be bearable due to having some real funny skits.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Renoistic posted:

I just beat the prologue in Graces and I have to say that Asbel wasn't even close to being as bad or stupid as I've heard. He's no Lloyd, that's for sure.

To put it in other words, Vesperia falls apart in the third act whilst Graces starts to fall apart at the end of the first and the beginning of the second act (post time skip). Also of note we finally manage to get a dad who could be argued as being almost as bad as Luke's dad which is saying something.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Caphi posted:

I actually liked Kid Asbel as a main hero boy. I wish he'd stayed like that. (Alternately I wish the story had been about him trying and possibly failing to run his dukedom.)

Agreed, I would not have Asbel as a dad.

I am talking about Asbel's dad.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Caphi posted:

I stand by every word.

I feel as though there would be enough sane men around to help keep Asbel from doing anything really stupid. More importantly though, the one source of blindness he has Richard would be helping him.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Level Slide posted:

I want a character development haircut but the person in question goes full bald

Luke gets one in Tales of the Abyss

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
gently caress Emeraude.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I thought most Tales game had three acts. I know at least Phantasia, Abyss, Vesperia, and Xillia all do.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

SyntheticPolygon posted:

He's my favourite Tales villain.

Same here.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Sakurazuka posted:

What's the best way to grind Grade points in Abyss, put on the accessory that increases it and kill low level enemies quick for the speed bonus?

Head to the forest and turn it up to the maximum difficulty and stop anybody from casting spells.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

A villain crossover game.

But only the villains who did nothing wrong. :colbert:

So Dhaos, Gaius, maybe Van.

Gaius did a lot of things wrong.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

He had the right idea, just went about it the wrong way :(

Lies! gently caress Elympios, let them all die.

His idiotic ideas would have doomed Rieze Maxia as well.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Let them all die THEN tear down the wall.

Are you forgetting his brilliant idea to grab the lance of Kresnik back when all he knew was that it was a weapon that could quite easily destroy the world.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Oxxidation posted:

The cast withholds information from Luke well past the point of reason or sense, which lets Van sucker him into making a part of the world fall away or however that went, which only makes the cast even more pissy at Luke for events they themselves caused. None of these people acted like friends for the first stretch of the game, they were just badly acted sacks of cliches forced to exist in the same general space as each other and it got tiring for me.

It doesn't help that I played it after Vesperia, which for all its other faults had one of the most likable casts in the series. Even Rita is a joy and she's got exactly two personality traits, "I'm smart" and "gently caress you."

That makes no sense though. It is a rpg cliche that no matter what backgrounds the characters have, the moment they are in a party together they are the best of friends. The fact that said friendship and trust had to develop through the game was one of the strongest parts of Abyss/

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
For the most part Berseria holds up well compared to Abyss writing wise and it is only when you bring in the villain squads from the respective games that Abyss really pulls ahead.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Ershalim posted:

Ah, didn't know that. I know they hint that she may be anywhere from like 20-40 and she makes a thing about it, but calling people old means something different in Tales-world. Will gets it mercilessly and he's 28, and Raven acts like he's in his 50's at 35. So I usually just ignore whatever people say about how old they are because it would usually be immersion-breaking otherwise.

I think Tear's the worst offender, but it's ... a thing.

Someone should inform bamco that there are other decades besides 10, 20, and 1000. But yeah, I get this is a stupid thing to get annoyed by.

I thought all the jokes about age in Abyss were Jade pretending that he was an old man and none of the party putting up with it.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I am not sure if I would include Milla in that list as it is over relatively quickly and it gives Jude a chance to be something more then a tag along.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Junpei posted:

How is she gonna get kidnapped if anyone grabbing her gets a bolt of lightning and massive pain??

With great difficulty.