Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

ultrachrist posted:

I've been playing on hard and just fought the 3 boss fight at the top of the castle and it ended up 1v1 with Luke vs. the little girl and was pretty epic. I think the NPC told me there was something else to find in the castle but with Luke at 1hp and all my party dead, I had to choose "take the caravan".

I think the only other thing you can get out of the castle is to fight another boss as a part of a series of other bosses to give Luke a really good weapon. You still could have walked in your condition since there's a healing circle right after you leave the roof. Though the boss is a lot more powerful than Arietta so it wouldn't have been worth it unless you were at Level 20. You can still go back to fight it when you return to Malkuth territory before you go to Akzeriuth. By then, you should be strong enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

I've been playing Tales of the Abyss in conjunction with watching the anime. However, I didn't consult any FAQs or walkthroughs early on so I ended up missing some extra events. The ones I'm interested in are the Artes for Luke and Guy which I completely missed the beginning of. Can I still pick these up when the area the triggers are in are open to me again? Or should I just start a new game? Or should I just not bother with them?

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

Well, I've just recently finished my first playthrough of Abyss and I must say that this game and the PS2 that I bought to play it have been the best purchase that I have ever made. This game has a great story, great characters, and great combat system. Though the latter became slightly annoying when I started to build FSC levels (to facilitate stealing and self-healing) too late into the game and had to grind and spam those moves as best as I could. At least I know better now when I go though my second playthrough.

Now, to do a little Grade farming and finishing up some sidequests (particularly the catalyst weapons) before I start my second playthrough. Though I'll have to fight the final boss again, don't I? Well, after finishing the catalyst event, I should be even more overleveled.

Also, I had asked earlier about activating Luke's and Guy's extra artes event which I had missed it when returning to Baticul and was subsequently locked out after leaving. It turns out that both events still activate when I could get back in.

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

SpazmasterX posted:

Aaaaagh I don't know how I am ever going to beat Nebilim in ToTA on Very Hard without dedicating half the day to whittling down her HP and hoping my supply of TP recovery items lasts longer than she does.

That or getting another 50 or so levels.

640000 HP and any sort of physical attack barely does 30 damage are you f'in serious. :suicide:

I know how you feel. I'm having a hard time trying to do it on Normal (I'm still on my first playthrough) with everyone approximately around Level 75 and equipped with the Colosseum weapons. Even when I use the All-Divide after taking her down to 50% HP, she throws out so many powerful Artes in such quick succession that completely wipes out my team and I can't keep up with my items.

I suppose this gives me a reason to keep on gathering Grade while I grind for more experience. Though I've already been through Eldrant forward and back on Hard at least four times and it's starting to wear thin.

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

I played Tales of the Abyss through my AVerMedia AVerTVHD MCE A180 without too much of a problem. The included software had some issues with deinterlacing but Media Player Classic worked without any problems. Though granted this was my first experience using a TV tuner and TotA is the only game that I tried on it.

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

Nate RFB posted:

My biggest complaint about Abyss (besides early game Luke, who I knew going in would be a huge bitch) is that I don't understand FOFs at all. So every move has a certain elemental affinity it can be comboed with? And there's no way to know which element, other than to test out all 6, for every single Arte? And even then under most situations you have to cast the spell several times to get a "colored" ring? Uuuuugh.

Why not use GameFAQs to look up what arte chains into a FOF with what element? :3: Also, only four of those elements, Fire, Wind, Earth and Water, specifically chain off FOFs. Light and Dark act as a substitute for two of those four elements' FOF. Light can substitute Fire and Wind while Dark can substitute Earth and Water.

As for getting FOF rings, once your characters get access to higher level artes like Jade's Ground Dasher (Earth, Level 36), Blessed Drops (Water, Level 40), Thunder Blade (Wind, Level 48), and Infernal Prison (Fire, Level 52), the rings will show up at full power ready to be used.

Another way to make FOFs easier involves using another rather complex game mechanic called a Fonslot Chamber (FSC). Placing a Sunlight Sphere onto an arte will allow the FOF for that arte to activate even on an incomplete ring. However, Sunlight Spheres (Yellow) are pretty rare and the effect won't always activate unless you max out its level to 6 and it takes 20 uses to level up.

And to expand on a little more on the more important aspects of FSC (at least the ones I'm more experienced in), a Grass Chamber (Green) on a specific strike arte can cause you to steal an item from the enemy. This is needed to get Anise more dolls which you need to steal from Arietta at the next boss fights with her. Otherwise, you can score free items such as gels. You'll see a prompt if the steal is successful. Grass chambers can also allow your characters to heal themselves which can be pretty useful in the individual Colosseum battle and other times when you're force to fight without a healer.

I'm pretty sure when you're about to equip the chamber, the description will tell you if the effect will be stealing or healing. In case I'm mistaken, Luke's Raging Blast and Swallow Fury, Tear's Banishing Sorrow, Jade's Thunder Lance, Anise's Eagle Dive and Surge Breaker, Guy's Void Tempest and Final Cross, and Natalia's Aerial Laser will steal when equipped with a Grass Chamber. Luke's Steel, Anise's Mighty Charge and Lucky, and Natalia's Cavalry and Recovery will heal 8% of max HP when equipped with a Grass Chamber.

Ninja Edit: /\/\ Unfortunately, yes you're screwed. Your last chance to get to him was before getting to Akzeriuth. There's no way to get to him now. You can still get a sword for Luke that's just as good as the Ultimatus, if not better, by sending Luke into the singles battle at the Colosseum at Baticul and winning the weapon as a prize. Though I don't believe it will be open until after the 2/3rds mark in the game (which should be pretty evident). As late as that may be, you don't finish that quest until well after that mark.

Edward IV fucked around with this message at 07:51 on Mar 21, 2009

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

Actually, that wasn't Menville in Symphonia II. Brian Beacock was the one who voiced Lloyd. In fact, few of the voice actors and actresses from the previous game were in this one due to union policy. Only Heather Hogan as Colette, Cam Clarke as Kratos, and Tara Strong as Sheena were able to reprise their roles.

Ninja e:f,b

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

The policy is that union actors and actresses cannot work in non-union productions and vice versa. For this game, I believe Symphonia I was a union production while Symphonia II was a non-union production.

In the anime industry, some actors and actresses that were in unions would go under a pseudonym in non-union productions to get more work while avoiding trouble with their union.

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

Lakitu7 posted:

I've never used a PS3 so I don't really have much to compare with, sorry. Check out the PS2 emulation thread for more info on that regard though. I know that Abyss is at least playable but I don't know how perfect it is.

I've been playing Abyss through emulation and it works rather well though I had to overclock my processor to over 3.2 GHz to get full speed without needing any speed hacks. As for glitches, I haven't come across any that breaks the game or renders it unplayable. The only ones I've come across are graphical glitches consisting mainly of offset lighting and corrupted graphics in the background of skits and the opening battle animation. Again, nothing to game breaking but the former does make reading the text in the skits very difficult.

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

Rascyc posted:

Works fine, beware if you use the upscaling feature (and if you are using PCSX2, you most definitely are) then you will get a bit of an "after-image" in brighter areas. You can see it in my screenshots (enlarge the first one with Mieu and it'll be very noticeable). It's really not a big deal and you get used to it. It's definitely worth dealing with the after-images for the vastly better appearance on everything else.

Admittedly I played it about 6 months ago so maybe they fixed that little quirk with upscaling. It's not like it was unique to Abyss after all.

I tried it with the r3845 beta and I think the emulator still needs work. While I can run it without speed hacks after overclocking my processor to 3.6 GHz, there is still a minor slowdown during dialog that is just enough to notice that everyone is talking a little slowly. Also, I get a glitch where I lose sound effects after battling and the game eventually freezes up. So as a result, I didn't get very far. It might be better in their stable release.

The offset lighting ghosts are still there but apparently that is because emulating the PS2's graphics using a desktop graphics card still needs work. Apparently running the graphics in software mode will fix that problem but then you would need at least an octo-core behemoth to do it well. Though if AMD's Bulldozer processor works just as well as they promise, a cheap 8-thread processor (it's not a true octo-core processor but works almost as well) may yet be possible.

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

wdarkk posted:

If that's the caste, I wonder if my behemoth 6-core 12-thread 3.33GHz can do it.

You can try but I don't think it'll be perfect. I can't remember off the top of my head how many cores you need to have software-rendered graphics to work smoothly but you do need a decent amount. Maybe 6 to 8 at a minimum. Intel's Hyperthreading technology won't help much since it only makes use of unused parts of the processor core so you won't really get the power of 12-cores or even come close to that.

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

Well, I've gotten to the boss fight with Yaeger in Vesperia and all I've got to say about it is gently caress that secret mission. gently caress.

I figured out how to safely and repeatedly spam him and not kill him too quickly but I can never seem to catch that very elusive window to achieve the mission. The simplest method of having Raven spamming Rain while in OL3+ can't reliable open the window, even when changing the team strategy to to attack him while I spam. I can't even see the window when I'm Yuri spamming Destruction Field and even when I assume that the window is open neither he nor Raven are positioned right. It doesn't help that there is 30+ seconds of dialog before and after the fight and I have to get to the second stage of the fight to even start the mission. gently caress.

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

hihifellow posted:

I used this method when doing an achievement run.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jCJ8BTQpyR8&fmt=18

After failing at the usual method for an hour this one worked on the first try.

Okay, that helped me get a better sense of what I need to do. Though even with this, out of four tries, I only got to get a clear shot about three times with all of them failing. (Actually five but that doesn't really count since Estelle kept screwing it up as explained further on.) It wasn't until the third time that I noticed that I was using Rainsong rather than Rain because the weapon Raven had equipped enabled the Crucible skill. :bang:

It also didn't help that Yaeger wouldn't loving stand still and always kept attacking screwing up my approach and tearing me a new one. On top of that, I had to manage healing and recovering from status effects since I can't have Estelle set to healing because otherwise she attacks Yaeger and screw things up. Plus, Yaeger has the lovely effect of causing status effects at what seems to be at the most inopportune times like when I'm in over limit and discover to my dismay I can't use artes which is further compounded when one of my teammates had just used an item.

So anyways after unequipping the weapon, I got the achievement, in the same fight that I noticed the problem. But Goddammit this took a LOT longer than I had expected. I'm not going to feel great for work tomorrow.

But seriously, who's loving bright idea was that achievement? I feel like punching them in the face right now.

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

Rascyc posted:

But I bet they won't cause re-securing voice actors in the west seems to be a monumental pain (Persona 3 mostly pulls it off, despite some obvious differences in audio quality between original and remake). Maybe they'll just revoice the whole thing.

The Tales of Abyss anime did get licensed by Bandai Entertainment so they could conceivably use the dub in both the game and anime. Though there is no confirmation if there will be a dub for the anime (hell, it's been nine months since the license was announced and there still is no signs of when the DVDs will be available) and it probably won't be as simple as that given whatever union issues they need to work with and the degree of fragmentation between Bandai subsidiaries.

So, it's still a crap shoot.

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

Well, crap shoot indeed.

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

Fungah! posted:

I haven't had a lot of time to play (Just finished choral castle), but Ion's awful. His character's boring and his voice is just the worst. I'm really hoping he gets written out pretty soon, because listening to him talk is unbearable

Unfortunately, you're going to have to bear with him. While he does leave the party during some segments of the game, he is present in most of the plot-centered dialog. (From what I remember. My memory is a bit hazy but all the more reason to play Abyss again after I finish Vesperia) At least up until a little after two-thirds of the way through the game where it will no longer be an issue for you.

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

Evil Fluffy posted:

Raven was fine until I tried to do the hit a guard break to explode the boss's heart(?) in a late game fight which never actually worked and his damage just seemed like crap so combined with my anger at him not triggering the event, I replaced him.

Yuri, Repede, Karol and Rita forever.

Are you sure you were using the Rain arte and not Rainsong because your weapon had the Crucible skill enabled? But yes, gently caress that achievement. And gently caress whoever thought that was a good idea to even incorporate that mechanic let alone make it an achievement that's worth a measly 5 gamer points.

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

And make sure you actually are casting Rain and not its Altered Arte or whatever it's called. I had that happen to me and was utterly confused as to why it wasn't working until I figured it out.

Seriously, gently caress that boss fight achievement. In fact, gently caress them all because it's a pain in the rear end restarting the game, loading the save file, making your way from the save point to the boss arena, and furiously skipping past the pre-fight dialogue just to fight the boss again to get another opportunity to get the achievement. :bang:

After burning out trying to get that achievement a couple years ago, I haven't touched Vesperia since. Still, I really should finish the game. Being the sperg I am, I'm going to feel compelled to get all the achievements. :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

I have yet to finish Vesperia after stopping two thirds of the way through a couple years ago. I just lost interest in the story and trying to get the boss achievements burned me out. I suppose I should finish the game eventually but I'll have to make an effort to not think about getting achievements.