Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you
You could take a short rest. But you're on a battleship still involved in a full-blown siege, and short rests take time. Something might happen during that time! Your call. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robodog
Oct 22, 2004

...how does that work?
I am starting to regret that in my massive bag of poo poo i bought, there were no healing potions. Anybody have a bottle or a couple? Or can we have a healing thingy from our resident leader?

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Straight to the head
I never missed...you
Yuriel should have one more use of Inspiring Word left.

Robodog
Oct 22, 2004

...how does that work?
I think soon was the next closest to death, now that Queen M was healed a bit?

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.
...oh, right, I actually DO have a couple of potions of vitality (25HP and a saving throw). I probably bought them out of an excess of caution like five years ago and completely forgot. Anyone need? (esp. Queen M, who's still looking a tad peckish)

Orbs
Apr 1, 2009
~Liberation~
Yes, any healing you guys could spare would be amazing. I'm down like 60 hp. :rip:

Though yeah, Taali needs it even more.

Orbs fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Jan 13, 2018

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.
Okay, I have two, so you and Taali can each grab one if you like before we Split The Party (dun dun DUN).

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
Good deal

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Straight to the head
I never missed...you
Actually, a little digging reveals that Landra has two potions of vitality (the one from that post and another she bought right before this battleship episode) and Alauda should have one as well. As far as I can tell at least, none of them ever were consumed.

Robodog
Oct 22, 2004

...how does that work?
Huh. I guess that bag of holding is a little deeper than I thought, go figure.

Queen M? Taali? Either of you want a second chug?

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I have 67 HP before so that up to 93 and out of bloody range. I'm okay if someone else needs it.

Orbs
Apr 1, 2009
~Liberation~
I think I'm still bloodied even after the first one, so I should probably take the second too, if you're sure Soonmot. Thanks friendos!

Robodog
Oct 22, 2004

...how does that work?
Now watch as the Queen trips on her gown and falls down the stairs, getting down to bloodied again.

Orbs
Apr 1, 2009
~Liberation~
Um, rude. Her loins are firmly girded while in battle.

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/10/06/gird-your-loins_n_5941448.html

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

For those using skill checks right now, I'd suggest checking back with the discussion about Backgrounds on page 20 (and what each of us chose for them), because the numbers associated with skills on our Orokos sheets are obviously not going to be correct if we're still working with that alternate ruleset.

Orbs
Apr 1, 2009
~Liberation~
Oh, right! Sorry, I will correct that later tonight.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Straight to the head
I never missed...you
Purplie isn't with us any more, which means the party will again be without a leader/healer as soon as Yuriel makes his exit. Not having a leader of some sort isn't ideal, so there are a couple of things we could do about that.
  • Re-recruit. We could probably find someone suitable that way, and hope they'll stick around. (For the record, the last time we re-recruited was about two and a half years ago. This got us Klingon, who continues to put up with this game, and two other people who are both gone now.)
  • I could put together a healbot NPC. Iira's ex-demigoddess partner would be one candidate for that, or I could come up with a completely new character. (Or one of you could, if you feel up to the task!) It would, at any rate, be a pretty streamlined creature with few powers, not a fully statted-out PC. I might run it myself or I might ask for volunteers. Too early to say!
  • Devise some kind of healing mechanic without introducing a new character. A party-wide pool of uses for a Healing Word-type power, or something like that.
  • Do nothing about it. Resign ourselves to the transience of life and the utter pointlessness of attempting to avert the inevitable.
Thoughts? Opinions?

Orbs
Apr 1, 2009
~Liberation~
Aw drat. :rip: Yuriel. The fourth option is very tempting, but...

This reminds me. I actually have been kind of wanting to play a cleric in 4e for a while, and it struck me that Marianna shares many characteristics with a cleric. She already has a lot of divine inspiration in backstory and feat choices. Mechanically it would be easy to build, though narratively maybe a little harder to justify.

I understand that the gods being gone is an important plot element to your game, and I don't want to run roughshod over that, but what if that meeting with Avandra restored enough of a connection to give Marianna's powers a divine spark? It would dovetail nicely with the arc of her trying to become more physically competent too, since clerics are much tougher than wizards. In the next long rest, maybe we could have Marianna enter a magical meditation cocoon and emerge a beautiful divine butterfly?

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Marianna is now Adam Warlock

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
okay, this story needs to end with marianna warlock and the rest of us with infinity stones. Taali is Drax

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Robodog
Oct 22, 2004

...how does that work?
We have tapped re-re-re-recruits so so much that I am hesitant to go back to that well.

Option healbot npc I am down for because it benefits Iira hugely.

Option marianna warlock is also cool by me if it fulfil's Klingon's lifelong cleric dreamz.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

Aww, :rip: Yuriel. I hope it's just us rather than some awful IRL issues.

I also hope we survive the next five ingame minutes though I am not precisely sure how this could come about.

Robodog posted:

We have tapped re-re-re-recruits so so much that I am hesitant to go back to that well.

This, but if MMA is up for it I'm fine with trying again.

quote:

Option marianna warlock is also cool by me if it fulfil's Klingon's lifelong cleric dreamz.

This might well be preferable though if it is workable (maybe I just don't want to be the only hybrid? :laffo:)

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

Klingon w Bowl Cut posted:

This reminds me. I actually have been kind of wanting to play a cleric in 4e for a while, and it struck me that Marianna shares many characteristics with a cleric. She already has a lot of divine inspiration in backstory and feat choices. Mechanically it would be easy to build, though narratively maybe a little harder to justify.

I understand that the gods being gone is an important plot element to your game, and I don't want to run roughshod over that, but what if that meeting with Avandra restored enough of a connection to give Marianna's powers a divine spark? It would dovetail nicely with the arc of her trying to become more physically competent too, since clerics are much tougher than wizards. In the next long rest, maybe we could have Marianna enter a magical meditation cocoon and emerge a beautiful divine butterfly?
I'm open to that. One question though: are you talking about going cleric/wizard hybrid, or do you want to rebuild Marianna as a cleric from the ground up?

Orbs
Apr 1, 2009
~Liberation~

MMAgCh posted:

I'm open to that. One question though: are you talking about going cleric/wizard hybrid, or do you want to rebuild Marianna as a cleric from the ground up?
As much as I'd like to join Dallan in the hybrid club, I was planning on rebuilding. I could do a hybrid if it would make more sense though.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Straight to the head
I never missed...you
Going hybrid would require you to juggle two primary ability scores, so a full cleric would indeed work better. (Hybrid clerics also get only one use of Healing Word per encounter.) I'm OK with a rebuild, though encountering/freeing Avandra is a way off yet – I'll consider how best to implement this change. :)

Orbs
Apr 1, 2009
~Liberation~
What about if it was less of a connection to the gods and more of a connection to her kingdom in Mandala? I've noticed there's quite a number of cool summoning type Cleric powers, and I was thinking it would be neat if they were like Astral projections or powerful memories of Marianna's subjects, or something like that. It could be the same with her other new powers.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

What about if it was less of a connection to the gods and more of a connection to her kingdom in Mandala? I've noticed there's quite a number of cool summoning type Cleric powers, and I was thinking it would be neat if they were like Astral projections or powerful memories of Marianna's subjects, or something like that. It could be the same with her other new powers.

reskinnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn

Robodog
Oct 22, 2004

...how does that work?

marianna is Goku and Mandala powers her spirit bomb

Orbs
Apr 1, 2009
~Liberation~
I just want to be as cool as you guys. :smith:

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

Well, there'd still have to be some divine element to the powers. (And there's the whole thing with the planes being a mess.) Overall I think I prefer the "receiving a spark of divinity from a deity" approach, which doesn't necessarily exclude having Mandala-themed powers either.

Anyway, let's wait and see how this business with the power core goes first. All this worrying and planning might turn out to be for nothing!

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Straight to the head
I never missed...you
Hey. Hey, Klingon.

I want to play a game. More precisely, a “keep the power core from overloading” minigame!

This game uses rounds much like combat, but as Marianna is the only active participant it's really just about what she does. The basic idea is this: as long as the core is overloading, it pumps 5 points’ worth of excess energy into the chamber at the end of each round. Once there are 20 points of energy in the engine room, Bad Things will happen!

The way to stop the overloading process is by using the control console to cancel it, but interference from the core is making this pretty difficult – with things as they currently stand, it’s a DC 40 Intelligence check. She can also attempt to get one of the four valves working again; that’s a strictly mechanical task, so you’re looking at a DC 20 Strength check. (Dexterity or Constitution may be used instead if you can justify it using your narrative approach.)

The amount of excess energy generated every round is reduced by 1 point per active valve. Every reactivated valve also cumulatively lowers the DC of the console check by 4.

Marianna can make one skill check per round unless she has a way of taking extra standard actions. (Don’t worry about the time it takes to move around the room.) She may also, as a free action, use her own arcane powers to absorb the energy generated during a given round; in other words, the energy counter doesn’t go up at the end of that round. If she does so, she’ll need to make a saving throw – the energy gets absorbed even on a failure, but she takes a cumulative -1 penalty to all skill checks for each failed save. Additionally, she takes a cumulative -2 penalty to each such saving throw she makes after the first one, no matter if the previous one succeeded or failed. Absorbing too much energy also may or may not have long term effects on her, but that really should be the least of her concerns right now…

I think that’s all. As always, if there are any questions please let me know. Good luck!

Orbs
Apr 1, 2009
~Liberation~
I love games! :yayclod:

Commencing post.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Straight to the head
I never missed...you
That went surprisingly well! Then again, the dice gods were firmly on Marianna's side.

Klingon: do you want to play out the rest of this, or should I simply declare Marianna's efforts an overall success? You've got at least ten rounds to succeed on the final DC 24 check, which honestly is a foregone conclusion unless Orokos decides to absolutely fall to pieces on you all of a sudden. If you want to make the roll(s) anyway, though, be my guest! (In which case you're welcome to make them all as part of one post – not like there's a lot of bookkeeping to stay on top of.)

Everybody: do any of you have any opinions on/experience with Godbound? I've been looking at it because the September PCs more or less are demigods in their own right at this point (literally, in at least one case), and Godbound arguably models the kind of overall power such characters possess better than D&D. I hasten to add that I have no concrete plans to switch systems or anything – examining alternative options never is a bad thing, is all!

Orbs
Apr 1, 2009
~Liberation~
I'm fine skipping ahead. I honestly expected to do much worse on those Strength checks, considering Marianna only has 10 Strength and no applicable background. I still don't fully trust Orokos, but it was nice to be smiled upon for once. Too bad no one saw it. How will Marianna impress Skylark now? :smith:

As for Godbound, I've downloaded the free version and will take a look at it. This game is one of the few opportunities I have to play my beloved 4th edition, but at the same time I am totally invested in the plot and characters, so if it would make the game easier for you to run/others to play, I am happy to switch.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

Too bad no one saw it. How will Marianna impress Skylark now? :smith:

Please, tall tales are a bardic tradition and this one actually happens to be true! So to speak. She will be fine.

quote:

As for Godbound, I've downloaded the free version and will take a look at it. This game is one of the few opportunities I have to play my beloved 4th edition, but at the same time I am totally invested in the plot and characters, so if it would make the game easier for you to run/others to play, I am happy to switch.

I'll go download that and read but I agree with both of these - this is my last 4th ed game (also the only game I actually really got to PLAY at epic tier) and I'd ideally like to continue with the system, but I've been telling this story for Nearly A Goddamned Decade and I'm sure as hell not going to bail over a system change if it actually makes things easier.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Honestly, we'll probably playing long enough to switch over to Scion: God when the new edition comes out!

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

I'm fine skipping ahead. I honestly expected to do much worse on those Strength checks, considering Marianna only has 10 Strength and no applicable background.
Yeah, I was expecting you to burn your remaining action point or have to absorb energy at least once, but it was not to be! Still, I hope it was a marginally entertaining diversion at least. There was going to be a "real" encounter, but when no one but Marianna showed up in the generator room that plan went out the window. Players never do what the DM thinks they'll do, after all. :v:

On the Godbound subject: don't get me wrong, as a proponent of 4E I'm also anything but averse to keeping going the way we are. In some ways Godbound actually is harder to run because PCs can pull off insane stunts that are tricky for the GM to deal with, but it does seem to convey the awe-inspiring potential of being a demigod pretty well. Maybe a little too well for our purposes!

Robodog
Oct 22, 2004

...how does that work?
Skylark will be even more impressed if Queen M manages to parlay her saving the entire mission into getting free poo poo from the fey. Bardic tradition actually started as a way to skip out paying the bill.

I do not have the affinity for 4e that some other people here might have, and in fact openly bitch and moan about how much running the combat loving sucks. But having to wholesale swap over char sheets to a new system and learn all of that would also get me bitching and moaning, so really it's a wash no matter what. Though Iira might be the only out and out up and coming god so far?

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Straight to the head
I never missed...you
I'll have an update for y'all later this week!

Robodog posted:

I do not have the affinity for 4e that some other people here might have, and in fact openly bitch and moan about how much running the combat loving sucks. But having to wholesale swap over char sheets to a new system and learn all of that would also get me bitching and moaning, so really it's a wash no matter what. Though Iira might be the only out and out up and coming god so far?
If it's any consolation, Godbound has far fewer moving parts than 4E. Like, picking out gifts (and spells if you go for Sorcery) is maybe as much work as choosing feats in 4E, and it's virtually the entirety of the mechanical customisation you do in Godbound.

Iira is indeed the only character right now who's explicitly divine in nature, which might just be the strongest argument for sticking with 4E. The things even novice Godbound can do still is on a bit of a different level than what 4E epic characters are capable of, to the point where switching systems might introduce some narrative dissonance in that regard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
i'M FINE with Taali becoming more of a fire elemental as she merges more with the thing inside her