Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nimlach
Jul 22, 2008
I don't think it was too long, as an encounter. I was fun and challenging. I do however recognize that it can be a little difficult to pick up the threads of the story afterwards. Maybe we could do a recap in the recruitment thread after every long fight? Would people find that helpful?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
Not too long, what hurt was the slaads being able to teleport out of any traps we set up for them. I think that prolonged the fight more than anything else.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.
I don't think it was too long, and it was definitely a challenge (complete with wasting Villain's Menace on an enemy that vanished halfway through. :argh:). I don't know if the story recap is necessary (I'm still able to keep hold of it), but if anyone else needs it I won't complain or anything.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

Dallan Invictus posted:

(complete with wasting Villain's Menace on an enemy that vanished halfway through. :argh:)
I'll freely admit that this was something I absolutely should have seen coming but didn't (which is par for the proverbial course sadly); the bulette thing should probably be considered an ill-conceived idea on my part (see previous parenthesis), and one that I intend not to repeat in the future.

As for a recap, I agree that matters seem (to me) not so complicated as to necessitate one just yet, but should it be requested I'll oblige.

Edit: as a belated Fun Fact, this last fight took over two months of "real time" (Jun 12 - Aug 15). :11tea:

MMAgCh fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Aug 26, 2009

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Straight to the head
I never missed...you
:siren: WotC have released a new round of errata! There's quite a number of changes all across the board in there, but the one that may be most immediately relevant to us is the fact that avengers no longer gain the Armour of Faith bonus when they are wearing leather armour: "While you are wearing cloth armor or no armor and aren’t using a shield, you gain a +3 bonus to AC." In other words, Nimlach, feel free to retrain either Armour Proficiency (leather) or Improved Armour of Faith into something else, because there is no point to having both feats any longer.

Meanwhile, if everyone could kindly pore over the errata during the next few days/weeks and perhaps point out to me any changes that affect their powers, equipment etc., that would be swell. I am trying to keep tabs on these things myself, but it is really a lot of changes and I'm bound to miss something!

Nimlach
Jul 22, 2008
wait, so avengers aren't supposed to have the highest AC in the game? what a startling revelation...

Ah well. I'll just switch my armor down to cloth; I don't think this calls for any kind of more elaborate adjustment.

EDIT: oh wait, I get a feat back. This will bear a little thought.

The Transhumanist
Jan 2, 2008

Things can get better. You just gotta be willing to take the chance.
Frankly, the high AC was one of the things I rather liked about them, playing them as a sort of striker/defender, offtanking some annoying thing.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Straight to the head
I never missed...you
Repulsion is a cloth armour affix as well, so just turn that drowmesh into githweave and you'll be fine, Nimlach. :)

Ultimately Alagand only loses two points of AC anyway – he will still have a considerably higher armour class than everyone else apart from Landra once she can wear her new armour, but then she is a proper defender. As a DM this does make things a little easier for me, because having one character monsters need to roll 5+ points higher to hit than the others does throw a wrench into the gears of encounter balance sometimes. :P

MMAgCh fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Nov 18, 2009

The Transhumanist
Jan 2, 2008

Regards to getting a replacement striker, would be best I think, but not necessary. More damage is preemptive healing!

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

MP2 retrains:

Powers
Commander's Strike -> Direct the Strike
Villian's Nightmare -> Brave Warriors
Guide the Charge -> Reorient the Axis
Knock them Down -> Force of Fellowship

Feats
Phalanx Warrior -> Fight On

Clanpot Shake fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Mar 15, 2010

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.
MP2 retrains, now that this encounter is over! Will amend my first-post sheet eventually, have a lot to do tonight. :)

Powers:

Boundless Endurance to Quick Escape
Unbreakable to Unbalancing Dodge

(in short, Landra's CON bonus sucks and there are better uses for those power slots than some piddling levels of mitigation/regen.)

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Straight to the head
I never missed...you
Sure, works for me.

On an unrelated note, we are slowly nearing the point where re-recruitment would have to begin if the party is to gain another member again (or at least the point where in-game circumstances would make his/her entrance convenient). At least some of us have been in games, including this one, where the newly recruited player/poster didn't last long at all before essentially dropping out, so I do share any skepticism in this regard – but on the other hand, an additional character always makes for a more interesting game, and going from four to five PCs results in a perfectly reasonable party size which the game is in fact built around in many regards.

So, if any of you have any thoughts whatsoever on the matter, please do share them! (Some food for thought: it is not necessarily strikers only we might recruit for – the current party has every role covered, so a hybrid character might actually be an interesting choice, or maybe a controller that focuses more heavily on area-of-effect attacks than Badger crops up – who knows?)

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

I'd be down for getting a fifth. Like you said, we have every role covered, so this is a good opportunity for getting a good RP player.

The Transhumanist
Jan 2, 2008

I think between Badger and Annetta that AoE attacks are pretty well covered, so I think basically we get whoever looks awesomest.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

I think we could definitely bring in a fifth, and we have a lot of lattitude to find someone who clicks with the rest of the group, but I'd be fine staying with four as well (and this is part of why I think we have a lot of lattitude - we don't particularly need any particular fifth character, or even a fifth character at all, so we can be picky.)

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Straight to the head
I never missed...you
Soonmot has no opinion on the matter? :v:

The Transhumanist posted:

I think between Badger and Annetta that AoE attacks are pretty well covered
Well, Badger has two such powers (one close blast 3 encounter, one close burst 1 daily), Annetta has two as well (one close blast 3 at-will, one area burst 1 encounter). I suppose that isn't too bad, yes, though having someone with an area at-will might be handy too. We shall see what crops up!

Edit: a small note/clarification regarding rituals: it's apparently not possible to "move" rituals between books, and copying them costs just as much as buying them on the market, so Badger and Annetta will essentially have to "share" this particular ritual book unless one of them is willing to spend gold copying any desired ritual(s) into her own book. I don't think having two casters share one book is ever going to be an issue, especially as they've got the bulk of their rituals in their own tomes, so that's how we're going to do this I think. (It does mean that mastering them may take slightly longer all in all, though.)

MMAgCh fucked around with this message at 19:54 on May 3, 2010

The Transhumanist
Jan 2, 2008

Psh. Just find someone to take the pages out of the old book and rebind them into the new book! And if that doesn't work, a wizard can do it. :D

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Straight to the head
I never missed...you
A question: are you guys actually actively interested in exploring this dungeon cave sort of place room by room, or would you prefer skipping those more mundane parts and simply assuming that searches/Perception checks are made as appropriate? If anything juicy (such as a combat encounter) happened it would obviously play out in real time, but otherwise the routine of "making sure there's no one in room X – entering room X – searching room X/making Perception checks whenever something looks interesting" seems, to me at least, kind of dull and probably not terribly fun all in all. If anyone has any suggestions or would like to provide some input, by all means please do so.

(My take: dungeon crawls may be fun when everyone is seated around a physical table and they can be dealt with in a few hours at most, but as with everything in PbP they just take so much longer in this particular format – to the point where I'm not entirely convinced it's necessarily a good idea and conductive to everyone's experience and enjoyment of the game to have them play out in their entirety. The alternatives, apart from just not using any dungeons or making them positively tiny, do of course have their own drawbacks – but then, what doesn't?)

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

I agree that this type of play is much better suited to table top play. If there's nothing left in the dungeon, a quick DM summary of the party searching and finding X would suffice. If there's another encounter, flash forward us up to that. While clearing every room is fun in other media, I personally don't want to spend a week resolving this particular dungeon (especially if we've found all there is to find).

If my opinion is shared by the rest, the choice is then what do on the way out, and where to go next (we were looking for an errant mage or something? Tol-something?). Also if we're going to do a flash forward, it might be a good idea to start a re-recruit (which I think we all agreed to?) before we get to entrenched in whatever it is we do next.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

Clanpot Shake posted:

(we were looking for an errant mage or something? Tol-something?)
Speaking of which, I should finish/update and post the "our story so far..." summary I wrote a while back when Nimlach suggested it might be useful, I think. :D

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

Clanpot Shake posted:

I agree that this type of play is much better suited to table top play. If there's nothing left in the dungeon, a quick DM summary of the party searching and finding X would suffice. If there's another encounter, flash forward us up to that. While clearing every room is fun in other media, I personally don't want to spend a week resolving this particular dungeon (especially if we've found all there is to find).

I agree with part of this. I think that it's entirely plausible to just assume the standard "listen, breach, search" procedure with every room we come to, and that speeds things up and cuts out a pile of post-wait cycles without just skipping/trivializing the dungeon like the above sounds like - but I can completely understand wanting to speed things up more drastically, so whatever works for the rest of you is fine by me.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Clanpot Shake posted:

If my opinion is shared by the rest, the choice is then what do on the way out, and where to go next (we were looking for an errant mage or something? Tol-something?). Also if we're going to do a flash forward, it might be a good idea to start a re-recruit (which I think we all agreed to?) before we get to entrenched in whatever it is we do next.

I never bookmarked this thread and kept forgetting to ask MMA about an OOC thread for the game! Agh! Anyway, I agree with the auto-explore idea, pbp does not lend itself to the normal methodical clearing of a level like tabletop does.

For a recruit, I'd be up for a fifth, striker might be slightly preferred, but I think we could make anything work.

The Transhumanist
Jan 2, 2008

Auto-explore on? [Y/N]

Table top it's fun to explore, on the grounds that the anticipation of a new room lasts about... 20 seconds. PbP it's more like, 20 hours. So, yeah. Auto-explore on, stopping to get to the juicy bits.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The Transhumanist posted:

Auto-explore on? [Y/N]

I was wondering who'd be the first to make a roguelike reference.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Straight to the head
I never missed...you
It has been suggested that a summary of the events which have so far transpired in the game would be nice to have. I agreed with this and so have endeavoured to put one together, which you'll find below. If there is anything you feel is missing or could use clarification, please speak up – perhaps foolishly keeping no notes, I wrote this chiefly from memory, and though I scanned the game thread for the most important tidbits, there's probably a lot of stuff in 45 pages/1700+ posts that's really easy to miss!
  • The world of Noremien appears to be spiralling towards disaster: some three months ago, following an eclipse that caught even the most learned scholars by surprise, all connections to the gods and other planes were apparently severed, and the eladrin city of Deepwreathe crossed the planar boundaries no more. Almost more grievously, those commanding any kind of supernatural powers, be they arcane, divine or primal, grow fewer in number every day, somehow entirely losing these abilities for reasons thus far unknown. Additionally, strange intruders have been spotted all over the world, mysterious monsters and creatures that somehow appear in Noremien, wreak havoc for a short amount of time, and then vanish again.
  • You were asked by Ravic Carthaune, archmage of the prestigious Academy of the Lake, to locate Tolarius, a reclusive warlock and former Academy member who he believed may have an explanation for the Eclipse and the subsequent strange events and incidents in Noremien. Tolarius was due to visit the Academy several weeks earlier to meet with Carthaune and share his findings on this very subject, but he never arrived and was not heard of since. His last known whereabouts were an ancient tower in the Everleaf forest, which he claimed as his home years ago.
  • On your way to the city of Farling, which would mark the halfway point of your journey to the Everleaf, you were attacked by a small group of fey creatures that magically appeared in a copse near the road on which you were travelling; the means by which they appeared completely confound the party's arcanists, but it seemed clear at least that this was no ordinary magic, and perhaps no magic at all. After defeating the fey, their bodies soon faded away again – though one of them only after removing a brooch of Cyclopean make it was wearing –, which likewise was beyond explanation.
  • Later that day, you came across the wrecked and partially looted remains of a caravan which had been on its way to the Academy. It turned out it had been ambushed by a small band of hobgoblins that laired in the nearby ruins of an ancient dwarven fortress, led by the warlord Nathrak. As you learned from a letter in his study, they were ultimately working for someone known as Ardranoth – infamously the name of an evil wizard and necromancer who was slain during the Great War a hundred years ago. Apart from having been specifically instructed to take prisoners (of which you only found one, Naëme Gladley, one of the caravan guards) for "examination" for some unknown purpose, they also were ordered to recover something called the "Shard", an item (?) en route to the Academy, according to the letter.
       From Gladley, you learned that their caravan was indeed carrying a small box, its contents undisclosed, which you discovered empty in the wreckage, bound for that centre of arcane learning. She also told you that her fellow prisoners were marched to an unknown destination through a magical portal – which some of the hobgoblins had previously talked about, mentioning something a supervised by an unknown, robed being whose mere presence was extraordinarily terrifying to both the prisoners and the hobgoblins – a lich, possibly, some of you deemed. She later overheard her captors talking about a "keep", but knew nothing beyond this.
  • In Farling, you witnessed a young man being brought in by the city guard. Having turned up at the gates of Farling on a horse, he seemed to be in decent physical health, but appeared to have suffered some sort of extreme mental trauma, being entirely unresponsive and indeed catatonic. You eventually found out that he was part of a group of young adventurers who'd left for Stonegaard Keep, a ruined eladrin stronghold two days' ride southwest of Farling; near this fortress, the eladrin general Kyrianne Vamèssen suffered a defeat so ignoble and unexplainably foolish during the Great War, outright leaving her own troops to die while she fled and ultimately took her own life, that her name is cursed among eladrin to this day. Why the adventurers travelled to the keep isn't entirely clear – perhaps to investigate rumours of the keep allegedly being haunted, perhaps to search for ancient eladrin treasured buried beneath it; no one could tell you for sure.
  • Not quite halfway to Stonegaard Keep, you found yourselves ambushed by a perfectly mundane bulette, a fight that escalated when Annetta's wild magic caused a number of slaads to appear out of thin air amid a deluge of elemental storms. During the battle, Alagand somehow found himself briefly transported to a different realm or plane – the Elemental Chaos, he surmised –, where he witnessed a fortress-city inhabited by githzerai under siege by a vast army of demons and elementals.
       Not long afterwards, you had almost reached the Keep when Alagand's past caught up with him in the form of a group of angels, servants of Tiamat, looking to take the elf back to the dark halls of their deity. You objected in the strongest possible terms to this and managed to fight them off, though one angel unfortunately managed to escape, no doubt carrying back word of their defeat to the church of Tiamat; Alagand meanwhile confessed that during the time he spent dead, he had some manner of dream – one he knew, somehow, would result in the minions of the Dragon Queen making a move against him.
  • On the surface, Stonegaard Keep sat quietly on its hill throne, but all the more ominously for it, especially when you discovered that the same group of riders whose tracks you'd encountered on your way to the castle had apparently chosen to explore it as well. They left their horses at the foot of the hill just outside the entrance to a cave before continuing on foot to climb up to the castle itself – the horses, however, were no longer there, gore staining the ground where they'd presumably been tethered, and a number of tracks and marks suggesting someone or something had dragged them into the cave. After making it past an illusionary wall and following the cave as it descended and wound its way northwards into the earth, you discovered who was responsible: several trolls calling a small cavern deep underground their own, accompanied by a fey creature known as a choker. The trolls, who seemed to be in the employ of one "Lady Gharmya", were defeated with amazing ease, though the choker managed to escape; the solid stone door at the other end of the cavern, however, suggested that there were more discoveries yet to be made here, maybe.
  • The moderate underground complex that lay beyond turned out to be the lair of this Lady Gharmya, whose acquaintance you made before long: a hobgoblin vampire, she had over a dozen of her living kind in her command, in addition to a human scoundrel by the name of Kevran whom Taldrel, back in Niemund, had dealt with before, and another undead hobgoblin called Varn, a much cruder and more savage creature than the 'Lady'. While she was not especially revealing when it came to her plans and doings, you nevertheless managed to learn a few things from her: that the wrathful spirits of the soldiers whom Kyrianne Vamèssen left to die, for instance, still linger to this day, having been buried near the keep and now trapped behind a magically warded door by the hobgoblins within this very complex, loathing the living and above all the general who'd abandoned them a hundred years ago. Gharmya, apparently, had plans of some sort for them – or perhaps her master Ardranoth did –, but ultimately found the restless dead too inconvenient or difficult to "tame", and so seemed content to keep them locked away for the time being. Little else was revealed, however, apart from the fact that she and Ardranoth were working toward some mysterious "grand end" – and that, perhaps, some of Ardranoth's servants were keeping secrets from one another. Apart from some as yet untranslated letters and maps gleaned from Gharmya's possession, not much of interest was found in the complex, which served chiefly to house Gharmya and her troops – various facilities for the use of the latter and a small temple dedicated to Bane were all that seemed at all noteworthy, and even so no further clues regarding the mysteries of Stonegaard Keep were discovered.

MMAgCh fucked around with this message at 00:42 on May 17, 2010

The Transhumanist
Jan 2, 2008

Well, with regards to the residuum thing, I had apparently thought I had my 1250 gold in Residuum, which is how I had put it in Character Builder when I got it updated, however, turns out that when I had first written Annetta up, Warlock style, I had the gold in gold form. So, to that, oops, my bad. Can just say I borrowed from someone and paid them back in gold, if anyone minds, or something else. I dunno.

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

I don't think you've properly conveyed how easily we destroyed those trolls.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Straight to the head
I never missed...you
I didn't properly convey how close you came to getting your collective asses kicked six ways to Sunday by Gharmya & friends, either; sometimes you got to count your blessings, so to speak!

(In fact, come to think of it, I didn't convey the fact you fought her at all, which is maybe a bit of an oversight...)

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Straight to the head
I never missed...you
Any opinions on the submissions our re-re-recruit has received so far? Unlike last time (which was kind of thoughtless and selfish of me), I will take the opinions of you guys into account when it comes to making picks*, so speak your minds – either here or on IRC or via PM, as you prefer!

* We've got four players right now, and six is the upper limit of what I think is reasonable in terms of party size, so taking two new characters instead of just one is something I am not averse to. Might as well keep this in mind at least, I guess!

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I'd go with Navyjack's psion for sure and then, if you want six, Kasoon's rogue.

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

Personally I think shardminds (along with all of the other PHB races...) are a little silly. I'd sooner choose a warforged.

That said, his might be the best written submission of the lot. Between Joe's apparent disregard for self-editing and Kassoon's by-the-book background (which I think misses the point of the questions in the book), I don't really like any of them.

Nabisco's character might be fun, or he might be a little too tongue-in-cheek for this game. I'd go with him I guess, then either navy or Kassoon (if he re-writes his background) if you want a sixth.

Actually, no. Pick Kitfox88. He idles in IRC, and he's not even a player (wink wink nudge nudge).

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Clanpot Shake posted:

Personally I think shardminds (along with all of the other PHB races...) are a little silly. I'd sooner choose a warforged.

That's easy, shardminds = psiforged. Problem solved.

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

Quiet wit yo nonsense.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Straight to the head
I never missed...you
Today's errata changed Lead the Attack so it grants its attack bonus until the end of the warlord's next turn rather than until the end of the encounter. (It also deals half damage on a miss now.) If you want to swap it out for another level 1 daily attack power do feel free to, Clanpot.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

5 points of AC for 5 points of resist, eh? Wasn't sure how bad the tradeoff would be. It probably isn't worth it, then (ongoing damage auras aside), so I guess I'll scratch that idea. Unless anyone else has any thoughts?

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Straight to the head
I never missed...you
Well, it's obviously only a 3 AC difference whenever Landra is bloodied. (Also keep in mind that it grants resist 5 fire as well, which may or may not make a difference.)

Though I suppose that because I let Taldrel upgrade his regular magic armour to masterwork some time ago, I ought to let you do the same. Scale armour -> drakescale armour is only a +1 increase, so that'd be AC 28 instead.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

Given those points...yeah, make the switch while we're down here. I think it will be helpful.

"Nostalgic" memories of carrying five different sets of resist gear for WoW raids aside.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Straight to the head
I never missed...you
Aight people, re-re-recruit just closed. Because it's your game as much as mine I'd like to hear some opinions from all current players this time around – more specifically I would like everyone to name up to three characters that you think would make a decent addition to the party. I'm not especially keen on going with a seven-PC party again and I don't imagine there'll be a strong enough consensus for this to happen but, well, you know (me).

If you don't want to go around naming favourites in public, please feel free to get a hold of me via PM or IRC or smoke signals or whatever.

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

MMAgCh posted:

Aight people, re-re-recruit just closed. Because it's your game as much as mine I'd like to hear some opinions from all current players this time around – more specifically I would like everyone to name up to three characters that you think would make a decent addition to the party. I'm not especially keen on going with a seven-PC party again and I don't imagine there'll be a strong enough consensus for this to happen but, well, you know (me).

If you don't want to go around naming favourites in public, please feel free to get a hold of me via PM or IRC or smoke signals or whatever.

I hear that navyjack guy is aces. A real cool cat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

CombatWombat, treeboy, navyjack (in order of preference [^nothing personal^])

I'd also like to point out that the guy who submitted Lorn Somethingorother lost major points for breaking the poo poo out of my tables.

Furthermore, I don't think 7 players is a good idea. You're busy enough. Don't be a masochist.