Search Amazon.com:
Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«25 »
MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

This is a reminder to designate your targets properly, and to include a link to your roll when posting! It is also a reminder that making your own rolls also means you get to roll your own saving throws (those on your turn at least) forget about them at your own peril!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ForestHobo
Sep 19, 2004
Roses are red, violets are blue, omgwtf, I love you.

Lorn's Wishlist:

Neck:
Healer's Brooch +3 (14, AV)

Armor:
Stormscale or Wyrmscale Summoned Armor +4 (16, AV)

Gloves:
Gloves of the Healer Paragon (12, AV)

Helmet:
Helm of Hidden Horrors (16, AV)

Ring:
Ring of Sympathy (15, AV2)

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

If I win, I get to be a king. If I lose, I get to be a legend!!

Borok's Wishlist!

accurate lightning staff +3 Lvl 15 PH
Rebuking braidmail +3 Lvl 14 PH2
Periapt of Cascading health +3 Drag 369
Battlestrider Greaves Lvl 12 PH
Iron Ring of the Dwarf Lords 14 PH

Mr. Bing
Oct 25, 2004

...Is it still there?

Dear Santa, Elliott has been a very good boy this year.

Neck - Cloak of Displacement +3 Lv. 14
Hands - Gauntlets of Blood (Paragon) Lv. 14
Arms - Bracers of Archery (Paragon) Lv. 16
Head - Hat of Disguise Lv. 10
Wondrous Item - Flying Hook Lv. 15

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

Clanpot Shake, with the wight having been pushed beyond Taldrel's reach, you'll need to find something else to do with your standard action!

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

Edited.

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

Speaking for myself, I thought Orokos was a neat concept when I saw it in another game, and, after using it in this encounter, I am a big fan!

Also, boy it would rawk if a dead body in here had a certain level 1 ritual on it :P

ForestHobo
Sep 19, 2004

Seconding the Orokos love. Linking the rolls makes updating a bit more involved, but that's trivial compared to amount of work offloaded from the DM to the players.

Mr. Bing
Oct 25, 2004

...Is it still there?

One thing I'll suggest is that since with the dice roller we have a pretty good idea how to narrate our own turns, there's really no need for MMA to go ahead and re-narrate them in his posts, unless there's some tricksy immediate tomfoolery going on. It would probably lessen your workload even more simply because you'll have so much less to write.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

But I enjoy hearing myself talk writing/narrating. If someone doesn't want their turn re-narrated or anything like that, it is something entirely different of course, but personally I don't mind producing one bit; it's what makes PbP fun in my mind.

On a largely unrelated note, something I've been thinking about is including monster defences in the initiative block, albeit spoilered like so:
pre:
/-----[ROUND 1]-----------------[IN]--[HP]-----[THP]-[AC FO RF WI]-[STATUS EFFECTS]--------------------------------\
|==>| Borok                    | 33 |  73/73  |     |             |                                                |
|   | Landra                   | 32 |  93/93  |     |             |                                                |
|   | Annetta                  | 31 |  76/79  |     |             |                                                |
|   | Taldrel                  | 31 |  83/83  |     |             |                                                |
|   | Elliott                  | 30 |  80/80  |     |             |                                                |
|   | Lorn                     | 30 |  94/94  |     |             |                                                |
|   | Battle Wight Guardian    | 27 |             0 |30 26 23 23|                                                |
|   | Slavering Maw            | 21 |             0 |23 26 20 21|                                                |
|   | Karrek                   | 17 |             0 |25 24 25 26|                                                |
|   | Exalted Brain in a Jar   | 10 |             0 |26 21 22 24|                                                |
\------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------/
Letting a DM set up monsters, DCs etc. on a private page and let players roll directly against their defences is the one feature I really wish Orokos could implement, but there's probably some technical/practical reason they haven't. (I went and passed it on to them via the suggestion box feature anyway.) I'm not really sure if spoilering them (which could also be done on a per-defence basis) makes that much of a difference though it's kind of metagame-y regardless, though at least people who don't want to look don't have to.

Thoughts?

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

You could post the monster stats spoilered in the OOC thread to save you from having to have spoilered text in your every post

ForestHobo
Sep 19, 2004

I enjoy the re-narration quite a bit. If you don't mind writing it, by all means, keep doing it.

I think posting the monster defenses in whatever way is convenient is a good idea. I don't particularly care if they're spoilered.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

I agree with Adrinidad re: re-narration: if you enjoy it, keep doing it, I won't complain. I'll probably keep leaving some openings for you. :P

As for the spoiler monster defenses question...well, eh. I can understand how it would make narrating easier, and obviously at some point we have to trust ourselves not to ruthlessly metagame, so you're welcome to try it, but I don't see not being able to compare those rolls right away as a huge deal - in the end, there's always some information that stays behind the screen, and I can live with this.

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

Questions for Karrek:

Who is your master? What dangers await us here? What do you know of the Eclipse?

MMA says he's not going to be a jerk about the answers and give us non-helpful stuff. Karrek will be cooperative.

Anybody have better ideas for questions?

Mr. Bing
Oct 25, 2004

...Is it still there?

WHERE'S MY loving DESSERT?!?

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

MMAgCh posted:

Repulsion is a cloth armour affix as well, so just turn that drowmesh into githweave and you'll be fine, Nimlach.

Ultimately Alagand only loses two points of AC anyway he will still have a considerably higher armour class than everyone else apart from Landra once she can wear her new armour, but then she is a proper defender. As a DM this does make things a little easier for me, because having one character monsters need to roll 5+ points higher to hit than the others does throw a wrench into the gears of encounter balance sometimes. :P

he he he... >:S

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

navyjack posted:

Questions for Karrek:

Who is your master? What dangers await us here? What do you know of the Eclipse?

MMA says he's not going to be a jerk about the answers and give us non-helpful stuff. Karrek will be cooperative.

Anybody have better ideas for questions?

Hrm. On one hand, things he would know: on the other hand, things that are useful. On the whole, this is a good mix, but I'm not sure we need to know "who his master is", because we'll either get "I don't know" or "Ardranoth", which isn't really new, and the best case (that this guy will know whether we're dealing with the genuine Ardranoth or a pretender) isn't as important compared to knowing something like, say, what the master is doing here and what it has to do with the Eclipse.

"What do you know of your master's plans", instead, maybe?

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

Throw my hat in the ring where you write more, MMA. In all seriousness, I like the set up where I narrate my turn and you what happens.

This past fight seems kind of a half-measure; we know what we rolled but only have a vague idea of what that means (hit vs. whiff). While that works in tabletop, it trips me up when writing the narration. I like the spoiler text in this thread idea - if we're going to do our own rolls we should know what they mean before we have to write about them.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

Clanpot Shake, kindly decide which if any of the new racial options from the November errata you'd like to take.

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

Knack for Success sounds awesome. I'll swap that out for Cleave. I'll look at my ability scores when I get home.

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

I'm leaning toward wisdom, but the options aren't in the CB yet. I'll just edit my sheet/block on the first page, but orokos will have me at -1 will.

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

I think over a week pushes the bounds of climactic suspense - is everything okay, MMA?

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

Soooo.... do we take OBVIOUS TRAP ALLEY or MYSTERIOUS SHORTCUT LANE? I feel like our ability to distract the lich from our scouting party is rapidly running out.

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

Do you have the movement speed to get to him in one turn? Some combination of running, charging, and eladrin teleportation? Did Landra even notice the traps?

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

Clanpot Shake posted:

Do you have the movement speed to get to him in one turn?

Yes, but she won't be able to attack him when she gets there - it'd take two move actions plus one minor action, and burn two encounter powers.

edit: wait, we did milestone at the end of the last encounter, didn't we? I suppose I could burn an AP too if I really wanted to hit him right away.

Also note that the following are our pre-rolled initiative counts (though Lorn said he will be using a rune to boost our actual initiatives so we may actually get to go before the lich.)

Borok: 20
Lorn: 17
Landra: 16
Elliot: 15
Taldrel: 14

quote:

Did Landra even notice the traps?

As far as I can tell, only Elliot knows precisely where they are, but he's warned us there's weirdness ahead.

Dallan Invictus fucked around with this message at Dec 8, 2010 around 16:37

ForestHobo
Sep 19, 2004

Lorn will use Rune of Meritorious Alacrity to boost everyone's initiative +10. The power is ranged sight, but he can move if anyone would like to adjust their positioning in a way that would block sight from his current space.

Maybe Elliot could sneak over and toss a sunrod down the right hallway to explore what lies that way?

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

Dallan Invictus posted:

edit: wait, we did milestone at the end of the last encounter, didn't we? I suppose I could burn an AP too if I really wanted to hit him right away.
Only Annetta, Landra and Taldrel reached a milestone and gained an AP, to be specific, because it was the first fight of the day for Borok, Elliott and Lorn.

And yes, everyone's Perception checks (other than Elliott's) so far have been inadequate to spot whatever lies ahead. In mechanical terms, whatever it is remains hidden, with every ramification that condition entails.

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

Thoughts? Do we just kick this off? We know there's some kind of hidden monster.

MMAgCh: Can Eliot tell us where the thing is enough for us to be able to target with an area attack?

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

Mr. Bing: is Elliott staying put to throw the sunrod, or is he moving to D15 as per your second-to-last post, or is he moving somewhere else entirely?

Mr. Bing
Oct 25, 2004

...Is it still there?

I didn't see a reason to retcon that, is it not possible for him to move to D-15 or something?

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

Oh it's perfectly possible, he just can't see poo poo down that eastern corridor from there, basically. Remember that the horizontal wall that's in the way runs H15 to H18, so his line of sight is pretty well blocked if he's standing in D15.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

Hey, Adrinidad, any particular reason you don't want me to get that sweet ranged sight initiative bonus? I thought we were pals!

(jokes aside, if I'm anywhere "north" of my current location I can't close range on turn 1 without using an AP. If people would still like me to try this they should keep that in mind.)

ForestHobo
Sep 19, 2004

Stay in Lorn's sight and he'll be glad to give it to you.

I'll adjust his position to include everyone. I was hoping to keep him out of the inevitable fireball/meteor swarm/sphere of annihilation from the Lich. Similarly, everyone might want to spread out a bit.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

Adrinidad posted:

I'll adjust his position to include everyone. I was hoping to keep him out of the inevitable fireball/meteor swarm/sphere of annihilation from the Lich. Similarly, everyone might want to spread out a bit.

If we act before the lich we can at least avoid it first turn. (and if I can get in his face there's a decent chance he'll at least provoke an OA when he does it)

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

Unless anyone else wants to change their position on the map (looking at Elliott, Taldrel and Annetta here) I suppose we will be rolling initiative soon, then?

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

MMAgCh posted:

Unless anyone else wants to change their position on the map (looking at Elliott, Taldrel and Annetta here) I suppose we will be rolling initiative soon, then?

Yes please?

(especially not waiting for Annetta. )

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

Taldrel's good where he is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

I was thinking that I was going to kick things off by blasting the invisible rug monster with an enlarged vanguard's lightning unless somebody has a reason to wait. Blasting invisible guy cause I can't reach stupid lich guy because he's on a DIFFERENT CONTINENT

Talking with a lich is one thing, putting up with his snide, superior bullshit is something else. Borok wants to beat him up sooner rather than later.

«25 »