Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Wait, something is wrong.

Winson_Paine posted:

Oh man, I am rockin' the Warlock with a side of Wizard Multi into BLOOD MAGE

LIKE DOKKEN HE IS ROKKEN

http://docs.google.com/Doc?id=dc65k52c_225tmhv4fc

Unfinished as of this posting but IN PROGRESS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Transhumanist
Jan 2, 2008

Things can get better. You just gotta be willing to take the chance.
Leomund's Secret Chest is awesome in so many ways. You can use it for exceedingly dangerous item removal too (just hope that your recall point is not in a populated area). The back and forth recall is not too feasible at early levels, but later on, 140gp a pop is a pittance. Since the ritual makes no mention of what you can and can't move with the chest, get a large enough chest with someone not claustrophobic and you could teleport them back.

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

The Transhumanist posted:

Leomund's Secret Chest is awesome in so many ways. You can use it for exceedingly dangerous item removal too (just hope that your recall point is not in a populated area). The back and forth recall is not too feasible at early levels, but later on, 140gp a pop is a pittance. Since the ritual makes no mention of what you can and can't move with the chest, get a large enough chest with someone not claustrophobic and you could teleport them back.

Haha, you would not want to be the first volunteer for that particular abuse in something I was running. I mean, the ritual makes no mention of a lot of things after all.

Aggro
Apr 24, 2003

STRONG as an OX and TWICE as SMART
Fixed up my background because apparently I suck at reading comprehension. For some reason, I assumed that The Eclipse and The Great War were related :3:

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

WarpedLichen posted:

what pantheon does this world use?
It is the standard PHB/DM pantheon.

What I've seen so far in terms of backgrounds looks pretty good for the most part. I like detailed backstories (note that 'detailed' does not have to equate 'wordy'); folks such as Dallan Invictus or LightWarden have the right idea.

Transhumanist: a little more detail would be nice. I'm sure Annetta believes she's got the required skills, but I'd like to see some reasons for why others would hold her in enough renown, as well. Remember that there were no such thing as bulletin board posters all over Noremien reading "Carthaune Wants YOU"; he personally contacted a small number of individuals whom he believes capable for one reason or another.
LightWarden: while I quite like the depth of her backstory, I feel that purloining the letter simply isn't a very good idea. How do you imagine this will play out? Even assuming she manages to meet Carthaune face-to-face – which, given that the Academy cannot afford to be lax on security these days, is not very likely to begin with –, how do you think he would react if he found out Chaedia essentially bluffed/lied her way in? (And between Discern Lies and Sending, it's trivial to confirm that the high priest has in fact sent her in his stead – or hasn't, as it were.) Considering that this is, after all, a confidential matter and one not just offered to anyone, what makes you think Carthaune would just go "oh, well, that's just fine" and send her on her merry way along with the rest? Again, I like the background as a whole, but I can't see the character actually getting to embark on this mission based on such a premise.

On an unrelated note...

LightWarden posted:

Aggro, :words:
Please don't do this. Folks asking general questions is one thing, but if I needed someone to double-check sheets and backgrounds for me, I'd ask. Same goes for in-game observations of such a nature.

The Transhumanist
Jan 2, 2008

Updated with more detail as requested.

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Lander county's safe as heaven,
despite all the strife and boilin',
Tin Star,
Oh how she's an icon of the eastern west,
But now the time has come to end our song,
of the Tin Star, the Tin Star!
My apologies, for some reason I thought that was a question to anyone that I was able to answer (though I cannot figure out where I got that idea). I didn't think I was too out of line, but I'll refrain from doing that in the future.

Will fix the issue with the letter.

Can you tell us a little about the process itself? Are the people he selected the most awesome exemplars of heroic power (that chose to show up), or were there any other influencing factors like availability? And what portion of the active heroes do the PCs compose? Are they the sole ones to take up the call put forth by Carthaune, or are there other nonplayer heroes who show up to make the assembly look more united?

Basically, how important are we? If we're out doing hero things, who's back at home making sure the things from beyond don't eat all the peasants?

LightWarden fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Aug 26, 2008

Nimlach
Jul 22, 2008
Ok, here he is: Alagand of Everleaf - Good aligned Elf Cleric of Tiamat/Rogue/Master Infiltrator. He's a good guy who uses evil powers like Profane Miasma (necrotic Sacred Flame) and Utterdark Shroud (necrotic Searing Light).

Description: Height: 5'11", Weight: 165, Eyes: Green, Hair: Black
The most distinctive feature of this elf's appearance are the prominent dragon tattoos on his face. The tattoos are done in greyscale, one on his forehead, one over each cheekbone, and one on the back of each hand. Anyone knowledgeable about dragons can tell that the one on his forehead is a green dragon, those on his cheekbones are white and black, and on his hands are red and blue. Alagand is tall (for an elf) and heavily built (for an elf) - he could almost pass as human, save for his angular face and narrow, predatory eyes.

code:

[b][u]Alagand of Everleaf[/u][/b]

[b]Race:[/b]		Elf
[b]Class:[/b]		Cleric of Tiamat
[b]Paragon Path:[/b] 	Master Infiltrator

+4 [b]STR:[/b] 19 = 16+2+1
+2 [b]CON:[/b] 14 = 13+1
+2 [b]DEX:[/b] 15 = 12+2+1
+0 [b]INT:[/b] 11 = 10+1
+5 [b]WIS:[/b] 20 = 15+2+2+1
+0 [b]CHA:[/b] 10 =  9+1

[b]HP:[/b] 76		[b]Healing Surges:[/b] 9	[b]Surge Value:[/b] 19

[b]Speed:[/b] 6			[b]Initiative:[/b] +7

[b]AC:[/b]		25 = 10 +5 level, +10 armor
[b]Fortitude:[/b]	21 = 10 +5 level, +4 Str, +2 item
[b]Reflex:[/b]		19 = 10 +5 level, +2 Dex, +2 item
[b]Will:[/b]		24 = 10 +5 level, +5 Wis, +2 item, +2 class

[b][u]Skills[/u][/b]
Acrobatics		+9  = 5 level, +2 Dex, +2 class
*Arcana			+10 = 5 level, +0 Int, +5 trained
Athletics		+11 = 5 level, +4 Str, +2 class
Bluff			+5  = 5 level, +0 Cha
Diplomacy		+5  = 5 level, +0 Cha
Dungeoneering		+10 = 5 level, +5 Wis
Endurance		+7  = 5 level, +2 Con
*Heal			+15 = 5 level, +5 Wis, +5 trained
History			+5  = 5 level, +0 Int
*Insight		+15 = 5 level, +5 Wis, +5 trained
Intimidate		+5  = 5 level, +0 Cha
Nature			+12 = 5 level, +5 Wis, +2 race
Perception		+12 = 5 level, +5 Wis, +2 race
*Religion		+10 = 5 level, +0 Int, +5 trained
*Stealth		+16 = 5 level, +2 Dex, +5 trained, +2 class, +2 item
Streetwise		+5  = 5 level, +0 Cha
*Thievery		+12 = 5 level, +2 Dex, +5 trained

[b][u]Feats[/u][/b]
Armor Proficiency (Scale)
Sneak of Shadows
Training (Stealth)
Weapon Proficiency (Glaive)
Tiamat’s Vengeance
Uncanny Dodge
Polearm Gamble

[b][u]Rituals[/u][/b]
Gentle Repose
Silence
Eye of Alarm
Raise Dead
Remove Affliction

[b][u][i]At-Will Powers[/i][/u][/b]
[b][u]Unholy Brand		Cleric Attack 1[/u]
At-Will			Divine,Weapon
Standard Action		Melee[/b] weapon
[b]Target:[/b] One creature
[b]Attack:[/b] Strength vs. AC
[b]Hit:[/b] 1[W] + Strength modifier damage, and one ally within
5 squares of you gains a power bonus to melee attack rolls
against the target equal to your Strength modifier until the
end of your next turn.

[b][u]Profane Scorch		Cleric Attack 1[/u]
At-Will			Divine, Implement, Radiant
Standard Action 	Ranged[/b] 5
[b]Attack:[/b] Wisdom vs. Reflex
[b]Hit:[/b] 1d6 + Wisdom modifier radiant damage, and one ally
you can see chooses either to gain temporary hit points
equal to your Charisma modifier + one-half your level or
to make a saving throw.

[b][u][i]Encounter Powers[/i][/u][/b]
Elven Accuracy (racial)
Sneak Attack +3d6 (multiclass)
Healing Word (2/encounter)
Channel Divinity

[b][u]Wrathful Thunder		Cleric Attack 1[/u]
Encounter			Divine, Thunder,Weapon
Standard Action 		Melee[/b] weapon
[b]Hit:[/b] 1[W] + Strength modifier thunder damage, and the
target is dazed until the end of your next turn.

[b][u]Command				Cleric Attack 3[/u]
Encounter 			Charm, Divine, Implement
Standard Action 		Ranged[/b] 10
[b]Attack:[/b] Wisdom vs. Will
[b]Hit:[/b] The target is dazed until the end of your next turn. In
addition, you can choose to knock the target prone or
slide the target a number of squares equal to 3 + your
Charisma modifier.

[b][u]Bastion of Health		Cleric Utility 6[/u]
Encounter 			Divine, Healing
Minor Action 			Ranged[/b] 10
[b]Target:[/b] You or one ally
[b]Effect:[/b]: The target can spend a healing surge. Add your Charisma
modifier to the hit points regained.

[b][u]Darklight Blast			Cleric Attack 7[/u]
Encounter			Divine, Implement, Radiant
Standard Action 		Ranged [/b]10
[b]Attack:[/b] Wisdom vs. Reflex
[b]Hit:[/b] 2d6 + Wisdom modifier radiant damage, and the target
is blinded until the end of your next turn.

[b][u]Distracting Wound		Master Infiltrator Attack 11[/u]
Encounter			Martial,Weapon
Standard Action			Melee[/b] or [b]Ranged[/b] weapon
[b]Requirement:[/b] You must be wielding a crossbow, a light blade,
or a sling.
[b]Target:[/b] One creature you have combat advantage against
[b]Attack:[/b] Dexterity vs. AC
[b]Hit:[/b] 2[W] + Dexterity modifier damage, and the target
grants combat advantage to you and all your allies until
the end of your next turn.

[b][u][i]Daily Powers[/i][/u][/b]
[b][u]Hellfire Vengeance		Cleric Attack[/u]
Daily 				Divine, Fire,Weapon
Standard Action 		Melee[/b] weapon
[b]Hit:[/b] 2[W] + Strength modifier damage, and ongoing 5 fire
damage (save ends).
[b]Miss:[/b] Half damage, and no ongoing fire damage.
[b]Special:[/b]: If the target attacks on its turn, it can’t attempt a
saving throw against the ongoing damage.

[b][u]Shield				Cleric Utility 2[/u]
Daily 				Divine
Standard Action 		Close[/b] burst 5
[b]Targets:[/b] You and each ally in burst
[b]Effect:[/b]: The targets gain a +2 power bonus to AC until the
end of the encounter.

[b][u]Spiritual Weapon		Cleric Attack 5[/u]
Daily 				Conjuration, Divine, Implement
Standard Action 		Ranged[/b] 10
[b]Attack:[/b] Wisdom vs. AC
[b]Hit:[/b] 1d10 + Wisdom modifier damage.
[b]Effect:[/b]: You conjure a weapon that appears in the target’s
square and attacks. Your allies gain combat advantage
against the target. You can move the weapon up to 10
squares to another enemy’s square as a move action. The
weapon lasts until the end of your next turn.
[b]Sustain Minor:[/b] When you sustain the power, repeat the
attack. Your allies continue to gain combat advantage
against the weapon’s target.

[b][u]Divine Power			Cleric Attack 9[/u]
Daily 				Divine, Healing, Radiant, Weapon
Standard Action			Close[/b] burst 2
[b]Target:[/b] Each enemy in burst you can see
[b]Attack:[/b] Strength vs. Fortitude
[b]Hit:[/b] 2[W] + Strength modifier radiant damage, and you push
the target 1 square.
[b]Effect:[/b]: Until the end of the encounter, you gain regeneration
5, and you and each ally within the burst gain a +2 power
bonus to AC.

[b][u]Mass Cure Light Wounds	Cleric Utility 10[/u]
Daily				Divine, Healing
Standard Action	 		Close[/b] burst 5
[b]Targets:[/b] You and each ally in burst
[b]Effect:[/b]: The targets regain hit points as if they had spent
a healing surge. Add your Charisma modifier to the hit
points regained.

[b][u]Equipment[/u][/b]
+3 Dwarven Scale
+3 Glaive
+2 Symbol of Victory
+2 Elven Cloak
+1 Flameburst Dagger
Backpack  
-Bedroll
-Flint and steel
-Rations, trail (10 days) 
-Rope, silk (50 ft.) 
-Sunrods (2)
-Waterskin
-Focus for [i]Eye of Alarm[/i] (100gp)
-Arcane material components (100gp)
Pouch, belt
-Thieves’ Tools
-80 gp

"Good day to you, Master Farstrom, thank you for agreeing to see me."

"Indeed. I have been very busy, but the guardsman's description of your... unusual markings caught my interest. Please sit - what did you say your name was?"

"Alagand of Everleaf."

"Yes. Alagand of Everleaf. And what does a servant of Tiamat want with us? Not assassination, I hope."

"I'm no longer a servant of Tiamat. Its about this task force that Master Carthaune is setting up, about the Eclipse research. I want in."

"I'm sorry, but I believe that he has already personally invited all those whose participation he requires. But how did you know about this project? Carthaune told me he was being quite discreet."

"Ah, but he did invite me. Twice." Tosses two letters on the desk between them

There is a brief silence as Farstrom inspects the addresses. "Where did you get these? Do you mean to suggest that you are both the Grey Knife of Dorn, and Varak the Shadowstalker, from Mitback?"

The elf smiles "Among several other fancifully named vigilantes who apparently did not rate your notice, yes."

"So why not simply present an invitation at the Academy?"

"You must understand that my tattoos, or 'unusual markings' as you called them... well, they kind of stand out, and at the Academy there are scholars everywhere who can figure out what they mean just as easily as you did. You are about to ask me for a rather detailed account of myself. I'm willing to tell my story to you, Master Farstrom, but I am not willing to give it to any self-important guardsman who thinks to become a hero by catching an evil infiltrator."

"I see. How have you avoided this problem in the past?"

"By wearing a mask, of course. And showing my face only in, er, sympathetic company."

"You were quite right - I wish to hear your whole story, or as much of it as you believe will convince me of your good intentions."

"Ok. I'm going to try the short version; you can ask me specific questions after I'm done, if you want.

What do you know about the cults of Tiamat? Nevermind, I'll tell you what's important. A cult of Tiamat generally exists to hoard wealth, which it has taken from others either by force or guile. That means that they're generally bandit companies, or thieves' guilds.

My father was a high priest of Tiamat, and ran a bandit ring in the northern Everleaf. They were quite notorious, the "Viridian Scourge" they called themselves. Anyway, when I was a boy, my father made a mistake - he betrayed me in a way I could never forgive. Understand, Tiamat is the goddess of vengeance, so when I freed the Scourge's prisoners and stole several valuable relics (and wished I could lay waste to the whole camp), I was still firmly her thrall (I had already been invested as her cleric by then, and already had these tattoos).

I fled, determined to bring down Tiamat's cults wherever I found them (I was really pis- um, angry). Mostly, this led me to cities, where it was easy to find the cults working with the criminal organizations. I basically joined the organization as a young cleric of Tiamat, but at night, I put on a mask and tried to undermine as many of their activities as I could.

I was really good at getting out of town before they figured out that it was me. Then I'd go to a new town and do the same thing. The funny thing was that I began hearing the stories that townsfolk would tell about the vigilante who fought evil in the streets at night. I realized that I kind of liked being a hero. Eventually, my burning rage against the wrong that Tiamat's followers had done me cooled, and I began to be angry about the wrongs they were doing to other people. This kind of went with the growing realization that I didn't particularly care for gold and finally I didn't worship Tiamat even in my private heart.

Around this point, there were also two things that made it easier for me to divert attention from myself when I messed with the cults, which was good, because I was moving into larger and larger cities, where the criminals were smarter and more dangerous. First, I knew enough about how these thieves' guilds operated that I didn't need to actually join them to predict their actions. Second, I started getting help from temples of Avandra (mostly outside the cities). The Avandrites (is that the right term?) are an open-minded lot, and I guess they saw me as a force of change for the better.

The Avandrites would impersonate me when I travelled so that I could be in multiple places at the same time - as far as the thieves' guilds knew, I was just more active at certain times. They (the Avandrites, not the thieves' guilds) also liked making up names for my vigilante alter-egos.

Anyway, my father had been trying to track me the whole time, and eventually, despite my precautions, he worked out what I was doing and cornered me by the northern base of the Shielding Mountains, with a sizable force. I think he had some kind of ritual that would undo my investiture, so he wanted to capture me, rather than kill me in battle. This was good - it allowed me to evade him a little longer. By the time I was finally facing him inside a ring of his men, it was noon, well what should have been noon, except that the Eclipse hit. My father's powers began escaping his control, and hurt him more than me. But mine were still working fine. I killed him easily, and slaughtered his men.

My problem right now, is that he's spread the word among the faithful, and just about all of the cults are on to me. There are some pretty powerful followers of Tiamat around who would be very happy to crush me. At this point, I've learned that the best way to be safe is to have powerful friends, so I figured if I accept your mission, I'll be surrounded by some of the most highly skilled men and women in Noremien. Plus, if we succeed in bringing magic back, while there will be a bunch of powerful Tiamat clerics who'll get there powers back, so will you, and you'll be on my side.

Don't get me wrong - I want to help with this, its just if it were entirely up to me, I'd rather still be sticking it to those who prey on the weak."

"Hmm." There is a brief silence "I can hear the hatred in your voice when you speak of Tiamat's followers - that's difficult to feign, even for a man of your skill. Still... what was it that earned them so much of your enmity in the first place, that would make you so sanguine about having killed your own father."

The elf sighs "I figured you'd ask me that. My mother was also one of the Viridian Scourge. I wasn't really sure what happened at the time, I only know that she was accused of stealing from the Scourge's horde, but now I think that she must have developed a gambling habit of some kind and was too ashamed of losing money to admit it. Anyway, they used me as bait for a trap for her, left me to get eaten by a forest troll, knowing she'd come for me when she heard. They caught her. Then they made me watch them torture her to death."

"My sympathies. A mistake, you said?"

"Sorry?"

"In your 'short version,' you said your father had made a mistake."

"Ah. Yes. Well, it eventually led to his death at my hands, didn't it? I kind of doubt that was the effect he'd intended the whole thing to have on me. So... a mistake."

"Well, Alagand of Everleaf, I will let Carthaune know that you've come, and explain your... circumstances. I must say though, I was quite sure that the Grey Knife of Dorn was a halfling..."

Nimlach fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Sep 3, 2008

Sarx
May 27, 2007

The Marksman

code:
Albrot Barrister
Level 11 Halfling Ranger/Pathfinder
Unaligned

STR 18  [+4]
CON 17  [+3]
DEX 17  [+3]
INT  9  [-1]
WIS 13  [+1]
CHA 13  [+1]

INITIATIVE: +8
SPEED: 7
SIZE: MEDIUM
BASIC ATTACK BONUS: +14 (main hand)/+13 (off hand)

ARMOR CLASS: 25
FORTITUDE: 21 
REFLEX: 21
WILL: 17

HIT POINTS: 89
BLOODIED: 44
SURGE VALUE: 22
SURGES/DAY: 11

RACE/CLASS/PATH FEATURES:
Small Size
Bold - +5 to saving throws vs. fear
Nimble Reaction - +2 racial bonus to AC vs. Opportunity Attacks
Second Chance - Second Chance as an encounter power.
Two-Blade Fighting Style - one handed weapons in offhand and toughness.
Hunter's Quarry - +2d8 damage against my quarry
Prime Shot -+1 attack on ranged attacks if closest to enemy
Battlehoned - 2 extra healing surges per day
Pathfinder's Action - move action and standard action with action points.

FEATS:
Toughness
Lethal Hunter
Two-Weapon Fighting
Two-Weapon Defense
Blade Opportunist
Lost In The Crowd
Heavy Blade Opportunity

TRAINED SKILLS:
Acrobatics     [+15]
Athletics      [+14]
Nature         [+11]
Perception     [+11]
Stealth        [+13]

AT-WILL POWERS:
Hit and Run (PHB 105)
Twin Strike (PHB 105)

ENCOUNTER POWERS:
Second Chance (PHB 44)
Dire Wolverine Strike (PHB 105)
Thundertusk Boar Strike (PHB 107)
Sweeping Whirlwind (PHB 108)
Wrong Step (PHB 115)

DAILY POWERS:
Jaws of the Wolf (PHB 106)
Two-Wolf Pounce (PHB 107)
Attacks On The Run (PHB 108)

UTILITY POWERS:
Unbalancing Parry (PHB 106)
Weave Through The Fray (PHB 108)
Expeditious Stride (PHB 108)

EQUIPMENT:
Vicious Scimitar +3 
Lifedrinker Scimitar +2
+3 Magic Hide Armor 
Boots of Striding
Amulet of Protection +1
Standard Adventurer's Kit
440 Gold Pieces
Albrot Barrister finds things. It's true that he usually kills them after he finds them, but that is the nature of his work.

Albrot remembers nothing of how he became an orphan, or his time at the orphanage where he spent the first few years of his life before he was adopted by The Barristers, an affluent human family who took him in as one of their own.

His father, Raymont Barrister was a wealthy landowner and politician, and though Albrot had little interest in his father's work, he took a staunch interest in his father's favorite hobby, hunting. Raymont would take Albrot into the woods where they would track and hunt various types of game, and Albrot became exceptional at it. His father took note and when he came of age, got him a spot as a military scout for the Genvegrian army. He excelled on his first campaign, aiding in his army's victory and learning other military trades as well. Though in the beginning he was mocked for his stature and being an orphan, his prowess, both at tracking, and with the blade earned him eventual acceptance from his comrades.

He came home, happy to return to his family, but found only an empty estate. His mother and father, and all of his siblings gone without a trace. Bewildered, he fell back on his talents, finding clues and tracking his family. It became apparent that his family had not left of their own accord, and he picked up on the trail of whoever abducted them. He tracked them for 3 days into the nearby foothills, stumbling upon a small group of orcs, but it was too late, by the time he got there they were already digging graves. Albrot was ready to move in and kill his opponents before he realized the inconsistency, a band of orcs would not swoop in, take hostages, march them days away from their home, and then bury them, it was too calculated. Instead of dispatching the orcs, he simply waited and watched for who had really destroyed his family. He missed his appointment to move out again with the army, but he didn't care. Eventually, his waiting paid off, as a man Albrot recognized came to the orc camp, a rival politician, vying for his father's position, Geryan Anstock, came to the camp, paying off his instruments. That night the orc's usefulness ended, so there lives did too, and Albrot returned to Dorn with their blood still wet on their blades.

Albrot did not bother to camouflage Geryan's assassination. He did not hire it out. He just carried it out with a lethal efficiency, and then spent the gold he took from the orcs on drinks. He knew he would have to leave Dorn, that he did not hide his tracks as well as he should have and that it would only be a matter of time if he stayed, but little motivated him. The only way to take his mind off of his loss was to put his skills to use, so that's what he did. He wandered from town to town finding work as a tracker, bounty hunter, scout and sometimes assassin. He charged just enough to keep him in the drink when he wasn't working, and he gained quite the reputation for being able to find, investigate, and eliminate whatever problems one had. Once a happy go lucky halfling, bright eyed at the wonders of the world, Albrot lives life without the optimism he once had.

Sarx fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Sep 1, 2008

Gin Soaked Ape
May 4, 2004

code:
Name: Orgaur Sootbeard
Race: Dwarf   Size: M   Align: Unaligned
Height: 4'5" Weight: 193lbs   

Social: Reserved, Grim, Suspicious
Decisions: Impatient, Pragmatic, Hard-hearted 
Dire Straits: Reckless, Vengeful, Restless

Class: Iron Vanguard Warlock     Level: 11 	

Ability Scores:
Abil	Base   Rac  Level  Total	
Str	 17          +3    20(+5)	
Con	 15    +2    +3    20(+5)	
Dex	  8          +1     9(-1)	
Int	 10          +1    11(+0)	
Wis	 10    +2    +1    13(+1)	
Cha	 13          +1    14(+2)	

Initiative:		
Score Dex  .5L  Misc
4     -1    5     

Defenses:			
	Def 10 .5L Abil Cls  Race Arm  Shld Enh
AC	27  10  5   -    -    -    7    2    3    
Fort	25  10  5   5    2    -    -    -    3   
Ref	20  10  5   0    -    -    -    2    3   
Will	20  10  5   2    -    -    -    -    3   

Movement:
Score   Base Armor Item Misc
5       5         

Senses:
Score	 Passive Sense	Base	Skill
 16	 Insight         10    6
 16	 Perception      10    6	

Hit Points:		Healing Surges
MAX    Bloodied      Surge Value  Surges/Day
105     52              27          14

Skills:
Bonus  Name	    Abil .5L Trnd  Arm   Misc
2      Acrobatics    -1   5         -2             
10     Arcana         0   5    5              
13     Athletics      5   5    5    -2       
7      Bluff          2   5                   
7      Diplomacy      2   5                       
8      Dungeoneering  1   5               2     
13     Endurance      5   5         -2    5         
6      Heal           1   5                            
5      History        0   5                  
6      Insight        1   5                         
12     Intimidate     2   5    5          
6      Nature         1   5                      
6      Perception     1   5              
5      Religion       0   5                
2      Stealth       -1   5         -2              
12     Streetwise     2   5    5                    
2      Thievery      -1   5         -2              

Languages:
     Common
     Dwarven

Racial Features:
     Stand your Ground: Reduce forced movement by 1
     Encumbered Speed: Armor and heavy load do not affect movement
     Dwarven Resilience: Use second wind as a minor action
     Cast Iron Stomach: +5 on saves vs poison
     Low-light vision

Class Features:
     Combat Challenge
     Combat Superiority
     Fighter Weapon Talent: One-handed

Paragon Features:
     Enduring Warrior
     Ferocious Reaction

Feats:
     Pact Initiate 
     Toughness 
     Novice Power
     Dwarven Weapon Training
     Acolyte Power
     Adept Power 
     Hammer Rhythm

At Will Spells:  
     Cleave
     Tide of Iron

Encounter Spells:  
     Hellish Rebuke
     Diabolic Grasp
     Crushing Blow
     Come and Get it
     Frontline Surge

Daily Spells:  
     Fiery Bolt
     Armor of Agathys
     Crack the Shell
     Thicket of Blades

Utility Spells: 
     Boundless Endurance
     Unbreakable
     Shielding Shades

Equipment: 40gp
Item                      Cost   Weight   Effect
Amulet of Protection +3   Lvl11
Lifedrinker Warhammer +2  Lvl10  15lbs
Dwarven Scale +3          Lvl12
Wand of Fiery Bolt +2    3400gp
Heavy Shield                  -  15lbs 
Belt of Vigor             520gp
Backpack                      -   
  Potion of Healing (3)   150gp
  Everlasting Provisions  840gp
  Everburning Lantern         -
  Silk Rope                   -
  Hemp Rope                   -
  Climber’s Kit               - 
  Chain                       -
Grim and mean, sallow and ugly; his skin is the color of ash. Orgaur Sootbeard has a reputation as a sour man with blood on his hands. Orgaur used to be a lively ruddy-cheeked dwarven defender; his feats were known far and wide in the Negesian Mountains. Always first to volunteer, always first to buy the celebratory round of drinks when they would return victorious. Orgaur would have regaled you with stories of his feats: The Gutting of the Black Graut'l'k of One Thousand Deaths, The Taming of the Gibberlings, The Toppling of One-Eye Bart. But any dwarf that is long in the beard could tell you similar stories. The part of the story that sets Orgaur apart from other boisterous dwarves starts with the campaign for the reclamation of the Halls of Karzud's Folly.

The Halls are networks of ancient tunnels that stretch deep into the earth. They were built hundreds of years ago during the reign of Karzud. The exact nature and purpose of the Halls is unclear. All that is known is that Karzud carved deeper into the mountain than was advisable and somehow this cost Karzud and a large quantity of other dwarves to be killed. The passages leading to these halls were sealed to prevent the spread of whatever foul forces lurked there.

It was declared that the Halls would be unsealed and repopulated; the kingdom was expanding and there was nowhere to go but down. Orgaur and his cronies basically threw themselves into the tunnels. Whats the worst they would find? Hordes of goblins? Some mind flayers? Child's play! Down and down they went. They found nothing of note. The halls wound around and around. The design was illogical and confusing.

Orgaur did not have the capacity to understand the significance of it all until after its effect had run its course. Karzud was sick. He despised his kingdom and his people. He would be the harbinger of their doom. His halls were an elaborate assemblage of arcane reagents and symbols designed to sink the entire mountain into the Abyss. Fortunately, Karzud's understanding of the practical physics of the large scale portal he built was inaccurate. Unfortunately for Orgaur and his troop, the line between the worlds was blurred and the Hall of Karzud's Folly had become inhabited with unseen forces of evil.

The dread and misery they were forced to endure was mind shattering. All color left the world. Hopelessness washed over them. They fled, believing they were being pursued by their doom. They fought phantoms and fought one another. They cursed and blasphemed and moaned. Lost.

Those that remained returned to civilization thirteen days later. Tordek had cut out his eyes and tongue. Harbek had dropped half his weight and would fall into a coma not three days after their return. Orgaur had lost his color and his happiness, forever cursed.

Gin Soaked Ape fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Aug 28, 2008

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

I heard a RUMOR Piell might be pulling back due to time issues. If that is the case I will roll on my elf, otherwise I will finish the background for Angstman McWarlock.

Zarick
Dec 28, 2004

Xeremiel, a Primordial word meaning "chosen by fire", is the name he chose for himself, obscuring his given name and attacking those who know or utter it, verbally at first, but physically if necessary.

His very normal human parents were understandably taken aback when their son was one of the Tainted, and while their peers gave them untold grief over their son's cursed heritage, they tried to raise him as best they knew how. He stayed indoors, learning from the few books his parents could afford, since they dare not let him play with the other children, lest the worst should happen.

The worst did of course happen, but not to any neighborhood children or their parents. When he was still young, perhaps three or four years old, he caught a terrible affliction that caused children to cough horribly, sometimes spitting up blood, and waste away to nothingness. Torn between horror and relief, Xeremiel's parents settled on the former when the affliction seemed to be strengthening the young boy, even as he coughed and coughed... and when the stage of the affliction came that he should begin to cough his own lifeblood out, so he did -- and it set fire to his family's tiny home.

None have been since able to explain it, for Tainted are rare and those who are cared for and observed rarer still, but the blood he coughed up was very nearly liquid fire, and when it struck the planks of their simple wooden house it sparked a fire that destroyed all their meager possessions.

His mother and father loved him, but they knew they could not care for him, not without risking their lives and the lives of their neighbors. So they did what they thought was best, they took him to the Academy of the Lake, giving him to the wizards there, to see if they might know what to do with him. Of course, the wizards were very interested, not particularly in the boy's welfare, but in his curse and his fiery blood.

The wizards of the Academy were not cruel in their experimentation, he did not spend his childhood strapped to a table being drained of his incendiary vital fluids. But he was not loved, not treated like a normal, intelligent being. He was a specimen.

When he came of age, the instructors at the Academy, noticing his natural intellect and feeling remorse for his treatment at their hands and the hands of his kin, apprenticed him, and taught him their Art. It was certainly no surprise to any to see his natural talent for fire magic, and over the years he has risen through the ranks.

He has spent most of his arcane career accumulating power like most of his chosen profession, but to the aim of studying his heritage and its origins, and the special properties of his blood. Not long after he left his apprenticeship did he rename himself, not hating his parents, but wishing to leave them and their memory behind. When he travels outdoors or even within the tower, he draws his crimson hood up, so it is difficult to discern his features.

He is only now beginning to unlock the secrets that burn in his blood, but with further experimentation, who can say what the possibilities are?

code:
======== 
Xeremiel 
======== 
* Tiefling Wizard/Blood Mage 
* Level 11 
* Unaligned, Avandra 

Social: Reserved, Fatalistic, Suspicious
Decision: Impatient, Flexible, Hard-hearted
Dire Straits: Fierce, Vengeful, Patient

========== 
ATTRIBUTES 
========== 
*Str: 09 (-1) 
*Dex: 11 (+0) 
*Con: 17 (+3) 
*Int: 23 (+6) 
*Wis: 12 (+1) 
*Cha: 13 (+1) 

======
SKILLS
====== 
Skill 		Abil.	Train? 	Base Check Bonus
--------------------------------------------------
Acrobatics 	Dex 	  N 		+5
Arcana 		Int 	  Y 		+16
Athletics 	Str 	  N 		+4
Bluff 		Cha 	  N 		+8
Diplomacy 	Cha 	  Y 		+11 
Dungeoneering 	Wis 	  N 		+6 
Endurance 	Con 	  N 		+8 
Heal 		Wis 	  N		+6 
History 	Int 	  Y 		+16 
Insight 	Wis 	  Y 		+10 
Intimidate 	Cha 	  N 		+6 
Nature 		Wis 	  N 		+5 
Perception 	Wis 	  N 		+5 
Religion 	Int 	  Y 		+16 
Stealth 	Dex 	  N 		+7 
Streetwise 	Cha 	  N 		+6 
Thievery 	Dex 	  N 		+5 

*Languages: Common, Primordial, Supernal, Draconic, Abyssal

============= 
RACIAL TRAITS 
============= 
* +2 Intelligence, +2 Charisma 
* +2 Bluff, +2 Stealth 
* +1 racial bonus to attack against bloodied foes 
* Resist fire 5 + half your level 
* Infernal Wrath encounter power 

============== 
CLASS FEATURES 
============== 
* 10 + Constitution starting HP 
* +4 HP per level 
* 6 + Con Modifier healing surges 
* +2 Will Defense 

* Arcane Implement Mastery (Staff of Defense): +1 AC, 1/encounter get +Con to a defense for one attack 
* Cantrips: see at-will powers 
* Ritual Caster 
* Spellbook: Select 2 utility/daily powers every time you'd select one, prepare one each day 

* Paragon Path: Blood Mage
* Blood Action: if you use an AP to make an attack, that attack deals ongoing 10 damage (save ends)
* Bolstering Blood: when using encounter/daily attacks, deal 1d10/2d10 damage to yourself
   and add the damage to the attack

===== 
FEATS 
===== 
*Character 1: Hellfire Blood 
*Character 2: Armor Proficiency (leather)
*Character 4: Improved Initiative
*Character 6: Toughness
*Character 8: Mounted Combat
*Character 10: Linguist
*Character 11: Spell Focus

============ 
KNOWN POWERS 
============ 

CANTRIPS 
-------- 
*Ghost Sound (Standard, Range 10) Create illusory sound 
*Light (Minor, Range 5) Object or point radiates light four squares out 
*Mage Hand (Minor, Range 5, sustain minor) Hand carries up to 20lbs 5 squares, Sustain Minor 
*Prestidigitation (Standard, Range 2) A bunch of cool useless magic tricks 

AT-WILL 
------- 
1: Scorching Burst (Standard, Area burst 1 within 10, Int vs Reflex) 
   Target: Each creature in burst Hit: 1d6 + Int fire damage. 
   Upgrade: 2d6 damage (21st). 
1: Magic Missile (Standard, Ranged 20, Int vs Reflex) 
   Hit: 2d4 + Int force damage. 

ENCOUNTER
--------- 
R: Infernal Wrath (Minor, Personal) 
   Effect: You can channel your fury to gain a +1 power bonus to your next attack roll against
   an enemy that hit you since your last turn. If your attack hits and deals damage, add your 
   Charisma modifier as extra damage. 
1: Burning Hands (Standard, Close blast 5, Int vs Reflex) 
   Target: Each creature in blast 
   Hit: 2d6 + Int fire damage. 
2U: Shield (Immediate Interrupt, Personal)
   Trigger: You are hit by an attack
   Effect: You gain a +4 power bonus to AC and Reflex until the end of your next turn.
2U: Jump (Move, Ranged 10)
   Target: You or one creature
   Effect: The target makes an Athletics check to jump with a +10 power bonus, and the target
   does not have to move to make a running jump.
3: Fire Shroud (Standard, Close burst 3, Int vs Fort)
   Targets: All enemies in burst
   Hit: 1d8 + Int fire damage, and ongoing 5 fire damage (save ends).
7: Fire Burst (Standard, Burst 2 within 20, Int vs Reflex)
   Targets: Each creature in burst
   Hit: 3d6 + Int fire damage.
11: Blood Pulse (Standard, Burst 3 within 20, Int vs Will)
   Target: Each enemy in burst
   Hit: 2d6 + Int damage, and until the end of your next turn the target takes 1d6 damage for
      every square it leaves.

DAILY
----- 
1: Flaming Sphere (Standard, Ranged 10, Int vs Reflex)
   Target: One creature adjacent to the flaming sphere
   Hit: 2d6 + Int fire damage. 
   Effect: You conjure a Medium flaming sphere in an unoccupied square within range, and the 
   sphere attacks an adjacent creature. Any creature that starts its turn next to the flaming
   sphere takes 1d4 + Int fire damage. As a move action, you can move the sphere up to 6 squares.
   Sustain Minor: You can sustain this power until the end of the encounter. As a standard 
   action, you can make another attack with the sphere. 
1: Acid Arrow (Standard, Ranged 20, Int vs Reflex) 
   Primary Target: One creature 
   Hit: 2d8 + Int acid damage, and ongoing 5 acid damage (save ends). 
   Secondary Target: Each creature adjacent to the primary target 
   Hit: 1d8 + Int acid damage, and ongoing 5 acid damage (save ends). 
   Miss: Half damage, and ongoing 2 acid damage to primary target (save ends), no secondary attack. 
5: Fireball (Standard, Burst 3 within 20, Int vs Reflex)
   Hit: 3d6 + Int fire damage.
   Miss: Half damage.
5: Stinking Cloud (Standard, Burst 2 within 20, Int vs Fort)
   (PHB p. 161, almost never prepared)
6U: Dimension Door (Move, Personal)
   Effect: Teleport 10 squares. You can't take other creatures with you.
6U: Dispel Magic (Standard, Ranged 10, Int vs creator's Will)
   Target: One conjuration or zone
   Hit: The conjuration or zone is destroyed. All its effects end, including those that last until
   a target saves.
9: Wall of Fire (Standard, wall 8 within 10)
   Effect: Creates a wall of fire up to 8 squares long and 4 squares high; 1d6 + Int fire damage for
   starting adjacent to the wall, 3d6 + Int fire damage for passing through or starting inside the
   wall. Entering a square occupied by the wall costs 3 extra squares of movement. The wall blocks
   line of sight.
   Sustain Minor: The wall persists.
9: Mordenkainen's Sword (Standard, Ranged 10, Int vs Reflex)
   (PHB p. 163, almost never prepared)
10U: Mirror Image (Minor, Personal)
   Effect: Three images, +6 power bonus to AC, every time an attack misses you, you lose one image and
   2 AC. When the bonus reaches 0, all your images are gone and the power ends. Otherwise the power lasts
   1 hour.
10U: Arcane Gate (Minor, Ranged 20)
   Target: Two unoccupied squares
   Effect: Any creature that enters one of the squares can move to the other as though they were
   adjacent. A creature cannot pass through the rift if either square is occupied by another creature.
   Sustain Minor: The rift persists.

============= 
KNOWN RITUALS 
============= 
1: Make Whole (Cost 50gp, Time 10min, Duration Permanent) 
1: Silence (Cost 30gp, Time 10min, Duration 24hrs) 
1: Tenser's Floating Disc (Cost 10gp, Time 10min, Duration 24hrs)
4: Enchant Magic Item (Cost variable, Time 1hr, Duration Permanent)
4: Arcane Lock (Cost 25gp, Time 10min, Duration Permanent)
8: Linked Portal (Cost 135gp or 85gp, Time 10 minutes, Duration 1-5 rounds)
8: Tenser's Lift (Cost 125gp, Time 10min, Duration 10min) [in Ritually Speaking] 

====== 
POWERS 
====== 

ENCOUNTER 
--------- 
[ ] Burning Hands 
[ ] Infernal Wrath
[ ] Shield
[ ] Fire Shroud
[ ] Fire Burst
[ ] Blood Pulse 

DAILY 
----- 
[ ] Flaming Sphere 
[ ] Fireball
[ ] Dimension Door
[ ] Wall of Fire
[ ] Arcane Gate

========= 
INVENTORY 
========= 
* Standard Adventurer's Kit 
* staff of fiery might +3 (L12)
* magic leather armor +3 (L11)
* cloak of resistance +2 (2,600gp)
* boots of striding (L9)
* gloves of piercing (680gp)
* bag of holding
* arcane ritual components [500gp]
* 205 gp 

[MAIN] staff of fiery might +3
[HEAD] none 
[NECK] cloak of resistance +2
[BODY] magic leather armor +3
[ARMS] none
[HANDS] gloves of piercing
[BELT] none 
[BOOTS] boots of striding 
[RING1] none 
[RING2] none 

================= 
COMBAT STATISTICS 
================= 
* Hitpoints: 77/77 (bloodied 38)

* Healing Surges: 9/9 (restore 19)
* Action Points: 1 

* Armor Class: 27
* Fortitude: 20 
* Reflex: 23 
* Will: 20 

* Melee Basic: +9 vs. AC, 1d8+2 damage 
* Ranged Basic: +14 vs. Reflex, 2d4+9 damage, 17+3d8 fire damage on crit
* Fire Magic: +15 vs. (defense), +10 damage, +3d8 fire damage on crit
* Resist Fire 10
I converted my L10 item to L9, I hope that's okay.

Zarick fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Aug 29, 2008

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Warrior, thief, slayer, soldier. All of these and more have been known to Roland. A professional soldier by trade and a hunter by heart he has roamed the land for decades as a big game hunter, a soldier of fortune, a guide, an explorer, and so on. Many are the hats he has worn and many are the paths he has crossed. Using the bow as an extension of his will, this cheerful soul is always up to the task, ever looking to the next horizon or for the next big challenge. His stories of his own exploits seem to go on and on, building a reputation based as much on talk as it is on deeds. Beholden to neither man nor god, Roland would have it no other way. Adventure punctuated with women, wine, and song is the order of the day for this one. Wealth passes through his hands like water through a falls. When it runs dry, the warrior moves on in search of the next great peril.

He was brought up by a mountain clan of elves. Hard living, spartan creatures they eked an existence in the high wilderlands. It was a brutal life, but it taught Roland much. A body must be quick to survive in such a place, and clever. Still, tales of warmth and wine and glory filtered to the north on the tongues of merchants who came to trade with his people for the finely wrought mithrilwork they could produce. It is said that he took these in like warm drink, and they filled him with a fire. A keen archer already, he began to sell his services as a scout to the merchants, trading on his ability to guide them through the passes and crags for gold and wine and tales. On one such trip, he claims that he was released from his bonds of kin by his father, who said it was written in the stars and bones of the earth that one day Roland would surpass all mortal men in glory. He could not be contained to a mountain. Of course, this is the story Roland tells of himself to the bards. Actual truth may vary. Attempts to find this clan today end in failure, the dejected would be biographers returning disappointed and chilled to the bones or more often not returning at all.

A few things are known to be true. He is hated by the mad Prince Abasst for his role in the theft of the sacred diadem of the Dead Goddess from his very own bedchamber, in conjunction with the barbarian Mathasar. Indeed, Roland and his savage companion are known well enough. The heir to the Ketchian throne did not rescue herself from the dire snake cult, nor did the marauding black dragon Philax slay himself. No, it was Mathasar and Roland who completed these deeds. It is not known to many why they no longer travel together. Some say the death of his lover Ariel broke Mathasar of the urge to slay and hunt, others say it was another woman that came between the two companions. Regardless of the reason, Mathasar has gone west, far west, and is rumored to be founding his own kingdom of men. Perhaps that is it. The mortal man must settle, establish his legacy, sire his whelps before he passes from this life. Roland the immortal elf has no such restriction. To this day he still wanders, selling his bow for what it will pay. He is a creature of pleasures, not greed. For those who can not pay, services could be rendered gratis. For those who needed to be made to pay, tyrants, despots, and beasts who would havoc the land, Roland had a different gift.

Such was the name of a hero forged. In deeds and blood, in wine and song. Roland is the master of these as he is of his bow.

http://docs.google.com/Doc?id=dc65k52c_12czv9wfdt

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Also Astral Fire rocks compared to the Tiefling Hellfire Blood feat for serious.

Zarick
Dec 28, 2004

Winson_Paine posted:

Also Astral Fire rocks compared to the Tiefling Hellfire Blood feat for serious.

Maybe at epic, but right now it's +1 damage vs. +1 attack. Hellfire Blood doesn't require Dex, either.

(Plus Hellfire Blood fits so well with the concept.)

The Transhumanist
Jan 2, 2008

More information added to post. http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2939108&pagenumber=1#post348199554

Angstrom Gothington
Feb 19, 2007

Raise your arms in the big black sky, raise your arms the highest you can, so the whole universe will glow.
Background edited into my first post.

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Zarick posted:

Maybe at epic, but right now it's +1 damage vs. +1 attack. Hellfire Blood doesn't require Dex, either.

(Plus Hellfire Blood fits so well with the concept.)

I didn't even realize it applied to your guy! I was just saying it about my scrambled warlock.

Zarick
Dec 28, 2004

Winson_Paine posted:

I didn't even realize it applied to your guy! I was just saying it about my scrambled warlock.

Fair enough, but my point still applies. (A warlock probably shouldn't have Dex either.)

Joe_Richter
Oct 8, 2005

Laser Lenin approves of hobo murder simulators.
Chenged up the build and background of my entry a bit, changes here

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?postid=348187302#post348187057

I was tempted to create an infernal warlock for this as well, but it looks like we've got that covered.

Aschlafly
Jan 5, 2004

I identify as smart.
(But that doesn't make it so...)
Mechanically, it should be good to go. Let me know if you want any more detail, e.g., on his attacks. Sheet layout shamelessly stolen from Essobie.

Background forthcoming.

code:
Character Name: Petra M'orderial
Class: Paladin (Hospitaler) XP: 26000/32000 Race: Half-Elf Alignment: Good
Size: M	 Age: 28  Gender: M  Height: 6'0"  Weight: 170  Deity: Melora
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
INITIATIVE             | MOVEMENT                 | SENSES 
Score   DEX 1/2LVL MSC | Speed   BASE ARM ITM MSC | Score PassiveSkill BASE SKLBNS 
  +7  =  +2    +5  +0  |   6    =  6  -0  +0  +0  |  +26   Insight       10   +16
                       |                          |  +19   Perception    10   +9
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ABILITIES                      ADJ |         ADJ  | SKILLS               MOD HL TRN AP MSC
     ADJUSTED  BASE RACE LVL   ABIL|MOD ITM  MOD  | Acrobatics    +7  DEX +2 +5        
STR  15/+2(+07) 14   0    1  =  15 | +2  +0 = +2  | Arcana        +4  INT -1 +5        
CON  15/+2(+07) 12   2    1  =  15 | +2  +0 = +2  | Athletics     +7  STR +2 +5        
DEX  15/+2(+07) 13   0    2  =  15 | +2  +0 = +2  | Bluff         +10 CHA +5 +5        
INT   9/+0(+04) 08   0    1  =   9 | -1  +0 = -1  | Diplomacy     +17 CHA +5 +5  +5    +2
WIS  15/+2(+07) 13   0    2  =  15 | +2  +0 = +2  | Dungeoneering +7  WIS +2 +5        
CHA  21/+5(+10) 16   2    3  =  21 | +5  +0 = +5  | Endurance     +7  CON +2 +5        
--------------------------------------------------| Heal          +12 WIS +2 +5  +5    
DEFENSES                                          | History       +4  INT -1 +4        
         10+1/2                                   | Insight       +16 WIS +2 +5  +5 +2 +2
    DEF   LVL   ARM  ABIL CLAS FEAT ENH  SHL  MSC | Intimidate    +10 CHA +5 +5        
 26  AC    15   +7              +1  +2   +1       | Nature        +12 WIS +2 +5  +5    
 21  FORT  15         +2   +1       +3            | Perception    +9  WIS +2 +5     +2
 22  REF   15         +2   +1       +3   +1       | Religion      +9  INT -1 +5  +5    
 24  WILL  15         +5   +1       +3            | Stealth       +7  DEX +2 +5        
                                                  | Streetwise    +10 CHA +5 +5        
                                                  | Thievery      +7  DEX +2 +5           
COMMON ATTACKS                  Attack Bonuses                Damage Bonuses     
ATTACK          ABIL   1/2LVL MOD CLASS PROF FEAT ENH MSC    MOD FEAT ENH MSC   ToHit/Dmg
Sword, Flaming   STR    +5    +2    +0   +3   +0   +2  +0     +2  +0  +2  +0   +12/1d8+4
Opportunity      CHA    +5    +5    +0   +3   +2   +2  +0     +5  +0  +2  +0   +17/1d8+7
Handaxe          STR    +5    +2    +0   +2   +0   +0  +0     +2  +0  +0  +2    +9/1d6+2
HIT POINTS                                   | Temporary HP:
Max HP: 15+15+(6*10)=90                      | Death Save Fails: [ ][ ][ ]
Bloodied: 45                                 | Saving Throw Mods:
Surge Value: 22                              | Resistances: Resist 5 fire, resist 5 necro
Surges/Day: 12                               | Current Conditions and Effects:
Second Wind Used: [ ]                        |
RACIAL TRAITS
Race: Half-Elf
Ability Scores: +2 Constitution, +2 Charisma
Size: Medium
Speed: 6 squares
Vision: Low-light
Languages: Common, Elven, Draconic
Skill Bonuses: +2 Diplomacy, +2 Insight
Dilettante: At 1st level, you choose an at-will power from a class different from yours.
	You can use that power as an encounter power. (Chosen: Eyebite)
Dual Heritage: You can take feats that have either elf or human as a prerequisite (as
	well as those specifically for half-elves), as long as you meet any other
	requirements.
Group Diplomacy: You grant allies within 10 squares of you a +1 racial bonus to Diplomacy
	checks.
CLASS/PATH/DESTINY FEATURES
Class: Paladin
Armor Proficiencies: Cloth, leather, hide, chainmail, scale, plate;
	light shield, heavy shield
Weapon Proficiencies: Simple melee, military melee, simple ranged
Bonus to Defense: +1 Fortitude, +1 Reflex, +1 Will
Hit Points at 1st Level: 15 + Constitution score
Hit Points per Level Gained: 6
Healing Surges per Day: 10 + Constitution modifier
Trained Skills: From the class skills list below, choose Religion and three trained skills
	at 1st level.
Class Skills: Diplomacy (Cha), Endurance (Con), Heal (Wis), History (Int), Insight
	(Wis), Intimidate (Cha), Religion (Int)
Class Features:	Channel Divinity, Divine Challenge, Lay on Hands

Paragon Path: Hospitaler
Hospitaler’s Blessing (11th level): When an enemy that you currently challenge attacks one
	of your allies, whether the attack hits or misses, that ally regains hit points
	equal to one-half your level + your Wisdom modifier (7).
Hospitaler’s Action (11th level): When you spend an action point to take an extra action,
	each ally within 5 squares regains hit points equal to your Wisdom modifier (2).
FEATS
Heroic Tier Feats:
Astral Fire
Healing Hands [Paladin]
Blade Opportunist
Skill Training (Nature)
Melora's Tide

Paragon Tier Feats:
Heavy Blade Opportunity
Armor Specialization (Scale)
AT-WILL POWERS
Enfeebling Strike Paladin Attack 1 Weapon
Bolstering Strike Paladin Attack 1 Weapon
Divine Challenge Paladin Feature Radiant
Lay on Hands Paladin Feature Healing
ENCOUNTER POWERS
Shielding Smite Paladin Attack 1 Weapon
Eyebite Warlock Attack 1 Psychic, Fear
Invigorating Smite Paladin Attack 3 Healing, Weapon
Divine Reverence Paladin Attack 7 Implement, Radiant
Cleansing Spirit Paladin Utility 10
Warding Blow Hospitaler Attack 11 Weapon
Channel Divinity: Divine Mettle Paladin Feature
Channel Divinity: Divine Strength Paladin Feature
Channel Divinity: Melora's Tide Paladin Feature [Feat]
DAILY POWERS
Radiant Delirium Paladin Attack 1 Implement, Radiant
Astral Speech Paladin Utility 2
Sign of Vulnerability Paladin Attack 5 Implement, Radiant
Wrath of the Gods Paladin Utility 6
Crown of Glory Paladin Attack 9 Implement, Radiant

MAGIC ITEM INDEX

Armor: Black Iron Armor Level 9 +2 4,200 gp (Scale +7+2=+9 AC)
	Enhancement: AC
	Property: Resist 5 fire and resist 5 necrotic.

Weapon: Flaming Longsword Level 10 +2 5,000 gp
	Enhancement: Attack rolls and damage rolls
	Critical: +1d6 fire damage per plus
	Power (At-Will - Fire): Free Action. All damage dealt
		by this weapon is fire damage. Another free action
		returns the damage to normal.
	Power (Daily - Fire): Free Action. Use this power when you
		hit with the weapon. Deal an extra 1d6 fire damage, and
		the target takes ongoing 5 fire damage (save ends).

Head: Diadem of Acuity Level 8 3,400 gp
	Property: Gain a +2 item bonus to Insight checks and
		Perception checks.

Neck: Cloak of Resistance Level 12 +3 13,000 gp
	Enhancement: Fortitude, Reflex, and Will
	Power (Daily - Healing): Minor Action. Gain resist 10 to all damage
		until the start of your next turn.

Hands: Gloves of Piercing Level 3 680 gp
	Power (Daily): Minor Action. Until the end of the encounter,
		your attacks ignore any resistance of 10 or lower.

Other: Everlasting Provisions Level 4 840 gp
	Property: After an extended rest, you open the basket,
		creating enough food and water to feed five Medium or
		Small creatures (or one Large creature) for 24 hours.

EQUIPMENT
								Price		Weight
Black Iron Scale Armor +2 AC+9                  		Level 10 	45 lb.
Longsword, Flaming +2          Prof+3 DMG1d8+2			Level 11	4 lb.
Diadem of Acuity						3,400 gp	-
Cloak of Resistance +3						Level 12	-
Everlasting Provisions						840 gp		-
Gloves of Piercing						680 gp		-
Standard adventurer’s kit					15 gp		-
        Backpack						-               2 lb.
        Bedroll							-		5 lb.
        Flint and steel						-		-
        Pouch, belt						-		1/2 lb.
        Rope, hempen (50 ft.)					-		10 lb
        Sunrods (2)						-		2 lb.
        Waterskin						-		4 lb.
Handaxe		 	       Prof+2 DMG1d6 Rng:5/10		5 gp    	3 lb.
Light shield AC +1 Reflex +1					5 gp		6 lb.
A horse of course!                                                            400 lb.
							----------------------------------
							Total:	4945 gp  Total: 79.5 lb.
COINS AND OTHER WEALTH
55 gp

BACKGROUND, PERSONALITY, OTHER COMMENTS
oh christ :words:

Petra is an uncommon adventurer and an unlikely warrior. He has little interest in power, glory, or wealth, strongly prefers the power of words to the power of a sword, and truly views combat as a last resort. His armor, his body, and even his sword are little more than a shield to be wielded in defense.

He was born in the small elven village of Elthinniel, at the far northern edge of the Everleaf, to Maele M’orderial, an old cleric of Melora, a powerful warrior, and a veteran of the Great War. Petra neither met nor heard much about his human father. Maele’s tales of the war helped shape Petra’s intense hatred for combat and suffering. When Petra asked how she could both hate war and yet consider herself a warrior, she explained that it was sometimes necessary to spill the blood of an evil man if it would prevent him from spilling the blood of a good man later. This philosophy helped shape Petra’s worldview, and these words would later help Petra overcome his aversion to bloodshed in combat.

When Maele, who was one of Elthinniel’s greatest warriors, passed away from an illness, Petra knew that someone had to pick up the burden of defending his loved ones—and it might as well be him. In the Sacred Grove of Tal’nassan just outside of Elthinniel, he took the oath of paladinhood, vowing to become the sword and shield of Melora, to defend her sacred lands against those who would defile it, and to oppose forces which might lead to the devastation of her wilds and seas.

Luckily, Petra discovered quickly that a sword’s blade did not always provide the best solution to a problem. A natural, skilled diplomat with a forceful personality, Petra distinguished himself more out of combat than in combat, brokering deals with marauding kobold tribes and convincing bandit leaders to pass quietly by. But this only held out for so long and Petra found himself and his fellow warriors being dragged into combat in defense of their village—until one day ten years ago when Petra established himself as a legend.

With the help of a few friends, Petra was able to trace most bandit activity around Elthinniel to a group run by Mauzreaf Alus Pelthanar, a greedy warrior and a reject of Winzen’s Royal Military Academy. Petra arranged a meeting; when their negotiations broke down and Petra realized he could not possibly stop Mauzreaf by peaceful means, he issued a challenge for single combat, which Mauzreaf accepted, eager to crush the weak paladin beneath his heel.

Much to Mauzreaf’s surprise, Petra smote him with a single, powerful blow from his sword, causing him to drop to his knees in agony. He looked up at the young paladin, expecting a finishing blow to come at any second. Instead, Petra did something far more memorable; he extended a hand to Mauzreaf in brotherhood, laying his other hand on his shoulder and healing him.

This display of strength and mercy left most of the bandits watching in shock, but a few of them were inspired that day and left with a renewed sense of honor and a desire to right some of their past wrongs. Mauzreaf soon became a good friend of Petra, adventuring with him throughout the northern Everleaf for many weeks and later returning to Winzen to make amends. Tales spread quickly of Petra’s triumph, and it was during this time that people began to refer to him as “M’orderial the Merciful.”

Petra embarked on a personal crusade, knowing that people in other parts of the Everleaf needed protecting from unscrupulous men and from abominations of nature. Additionally, he figured that a true warrior of Melora should at least appreciate the wilds he was sworn to defend.

Petra has mostly let his reputation as a warrior and peacemaker speak for him. He worked with many adventuring parties during his five-year journey through the Everleaf and to Mitback. He takes kindly to like-minded individuals and forms deep friendships with them quickly, but he strongly dislikes glory-seekers and those who thirst for blood. These are people to whom he reacts with grudging acceptance. Almost all of Petra’s quests have been missions of defense and aid; only on a very small number of occasions has he ever sought out an individual, and he has not even had to kill very many of them.

Most notably, he has had the chance to kill Gourgatz, Lord of the Myriarchy, probably the most powerful kobold warlock in all of the Everleaf, and a blighter and creator of abominations. Rather than skewer the kobold’s heart on the tip of his sword as most adventurers would have done, Petra put his silver tongue to work, attempting to convince Gourgatz that murdering innocents is wrong; after all, were it not for the grace of the gods, Gourgatz could just as easily be an elf, eladrin, or human victim of kobold cruelty rather than a mighty kobold chieftain. Petra accepted Gourgatz’ word that he would reform his people and cease his ongoing campaign of terror; since then, monster reports in that region fell significantly.

Despite his ten-year adventuring career, Petra has killed very few intelligent creatures—the figure is still in the double-digits. He is proud of this fact but regrets that it is a nonzero number, and the name and face of every single individual whose life he has taken are burned into his memory. Unsurprisingly, the path of the hospitaler has always seemed a perfect fit for Petra’s combat methods.

Five years ago, Petra left Utinmar and embarked across the Wretched Sea for the southern continent, offering to become the guardian of one of the few temples of Melora there. When he arrived in Saaran by ship, he was surprised to see that his reputation preceded him. The Duke Miscva of Nephalia, a duchy of Saaran, arranged a special reception in his honor.

Petra has mostly devoted himself to the political health of the region and spends most of his time near Westpoint and Syno. This has drawn the ire of a few of Melora’s higher priests who feel that Petra should devote more of his energy to protecting the wilds and serving directly at the temples in the southern Saaranese forests. Petra has countered this by arguing that if war breaks out between Vaere and Saaran, there may not be any more wilds to protect, citing the Great War’s effects on the Everleaf as evidence. This argument is apparently convincing to most of Melora’s worshippers as well as Melora herself, as Petra has yet to receive any sign indicating otherwise.

One legend says that Petra, upon his first arrival in Westpoint, stormed into the castle, full of righteous fury, and demanded that the King immediately scale down his arms buildup at the border with Vaere. Such an action probably would have gotten him killed on sight, and the truth is much less impressive. Nonetheless, Petra has been able to carve out a political niche for himself in both Saaran and Vaere, has met with the kings of both nations on more than one occasion, has high-ranking friends of both nationalities, and has had some small successes in staving off the seemingly inevitable war there.

The coming of the Great Eclipse has left Petra pensive and fearful, and he has mostly disappeared from his political life to slay the increasing number of monsters and pray at temples throughout the Saaranese forest, hoping that he might hear the voice of Melora again—and with it, guidance. This catastrophe is a much greater calling to Petra than the mere prevention of war on a continent. Carthaune’s letter comes as no surprise to him, as Petra was already in Mitback on his way to the Academy of the Lake to offer his services when the letter reached him. He makes the rest of his journey with the blessing of some of Melora’s highest priests and the respect of many men, but also with strong unease. Will he, too, lose his powers—and with them, his ability to defend people?

Appearance: Befitting his mostly soft and gentle personality, Petra is a fair-skinned half-elf with blond hair, slightly unkempt, and mild green eyes. He has no rough or chiseled features; his face invites warmth and comfort, and his body is lanky, though powerful. Petra is usually seen wearing a suit of black and green scale armor. His light shield is emblazoned with the sacred shell of Melora, and tattoos of leaves and vines cover most of his body. They are visible on his hands and up to his neck, so he usually wears gloves and a high collar during formal functions.

Aschlafly fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Sep 3, 2008

Nimlach
Jul 22, 2008
I have basically statted up my char, but I have a question for MMAgCh: I'd like a divine feat for my god; what should I use? It would be cool if you want to come up with one, but if you don't feel like it, this is what I was thinking

code:
[b]Channel Divinity: Breath of Tiamat[/b]  -  Feat Power
[b]Encounter - Divine
Minor Action[/b] - [b]Close[/b] burst 5
[b]Target:[/b] You or one ally in burst
[b]Effect:[/b] Choose acid, cold, fire, lightning, or poison.  Damage dealt by the
next weapon attack made by the target before the end of your next turn is of
this type.  In addition, if the attack hits, it deals ongoing 2 damage of the 
same type (save ends).
What do you think?

Nimlach fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Aug 28, 2008

Gin Soaked Ape
May 4, 2004

I edited in the background to my original post

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

quote:

Can you tell us a little about the process itself? Are the people he selected the most awesome exemplars of heroic power (that chose to show up), or were there any other influencing factors like availability? And what portion of the active heroes do the PCs compose? Are they the sole ones to take up the call put forth by Carthaune, or are there other nonplayer heroes who show up to make the assembly look more united?
Carthaune based his decisions first and foremost on his assessment of how capable, in the broadest sense of the word, someone is. Availability did not figure into his plans a great deal; while he didn't bother contacting those who were obviously indispensable in their current position (e.g. high priests or other officials who would have otherwise been 'eligible'), he is essentially counting on the fact that those he did get in touch with will be sufficiently enticed by or invested in the premise to make time for it.
One could certainly construe this as being somewhat assuming on his part, but given that he and his fellow wizards have so far failed to make any headway whatsoever, it's somewhat understandable, perhaps, that Carthaune would expect his chosen to jump at the opportunity to make a difference, either out of duty or for other reasons.

The player characters will be the only ones to show up at the Academy. It may be assumed there are others who were invited but did not come for one reason or another; however, the group that meets Carthaune that evening already consists of those to whom the Academy's task will be assigned; at that point, he has long since decided whom to pick.

Speaking of which, just so everyone's on the same page: the game will begin with the characters having arrived at the academy over the course of the day, soon to be ushered into the White Room, the Academy's great meeting chamber. I really ought to have mentioned this right in the first post; it is my fault.

quote:

Basically, how important are we? If we're out doing hero things, who's back at home making sure the things from beyond don't eat all the peasants?
You are not the only ones fighting to keep your part of the world as safe as possible. In fact, it might be an opportunity for a band of lower-level heroes to tackle tasks that you could essentially handle on your own, for example! Depending on the character's attitude, he could also have decided that restoring magic to the world (or finding out what happened to it, at any rate) simply is worth being absent for some time. The recent incursions of otherworldly 'visitors' are, at any rate, a rare occurence thus far and very hard to defend against due to their unpredictability; there is little to be gained by sitting around waiting for them to show up.

Transhumanist: much better now. :)

Nimlach: looking good as well. Because I failed to lay out the initial scene of the game itself, the post itself doesn't quite mesh with how things are going to play out; the concept as such is absolutely sound, though. (I wonder though: how did Alagand get to meet Carthaune, if not by way of an invitation?) The feat looks fine; in fact, bumping it up to 3 ongoing damage would be OK too. Alternatively, the following is what I came up with; feel free to use whichever.

code:
  [b]Channel Divinity: Tiamat's Vengeance[/b]	Immediate Reaction		Feat Power
			Keywords:	Divine (Ranged 10)
			Trigger: 	An enemy scores a critical hit on you or an ally
			Effect: 	You or the ally gain combat advantage against the enemy until
					the end of his or her next turn
Also, someone on IRC asked for some more information on Genvegr, so here you go. :words: ahead!

Of the three major realms in Noremien, Genvegr is the youngest. While Utinmar and Vaere both were founded in times immemorial, the first recorded settlement in Genvegr was built about 500 years ago, a small village by the name of Lastrevik on its eastern coast, close to the Two Isles. Before long its founders, Utinmarans fleeing from the Radiant Purge that was then sweeping through their native lands, sent back reports of lush grasslands, gently rolling hills and a great forest in the western part of the continent, touching off an immigration wave that lasted for the better part of a century. Many of their fellow Utinmarans were among those looking to begin a new life in this unknown part of the world, including the Lightbranch elven clan, eager to explore the great forests they'd heard of; a number of dragonborn from the distant Isle of Moros, too, were among those looking to settle down in Genvegr, perhaps intrigued by the notion of becoming a part of a land yet untouched by the busy hand of civilization, and yet far less hostile than the far isle they called home. Even though the Radiant Purge was brought to an end soon after the foundation of Lastrevik, the high priest of Pelor, Lorrhan the Resplendent having been slain by crusaders of Bahamut and the diabolical undermining of his mind revealed, not many of the Utinmaran refugees chose to return, already feeling a deep connection with their new home.
Genvegr – its name being a bastardized Dwarven term, meaning in Common something to the effect of "the path to which we cleave" – did eventually, contrary to what the first settlers believed, turn out to have native inhabitants. Their first meeting with one of the two peoples was brief and bloody, however, their tall, lupine aggressors apparently caring little for trade or peaceful co-existence. Gnolls had never been seen in Noremien up to that point, but they soon became infamous, even beyond the borders of Genvegr, for their cruel cunning and tendency to loot and pillage any villages they came across. The unearthing of ancient ruins of other settlements, determined to be human-built, revealed that the Utinmaran refugees had not in fact been the first to attempt to colonize Genvegr; they were, however, the first to successfully strike back at the gnolls, and the fierce dragonborn particularly distinguished themselves in this respect, who were as alien to the gnolls as the gnolls were to the settlers. As the population increased, they were able to build up strong militias as well, whose ranks were bolstered by professional soldiers and mercenaries from Utinmar and Vaere. Though the gnoll threat has never been altogether stamped out, the northern grasslands of Genvegr became relatively safe, and the city of Dorn, named after the human captain who defeated the gnoll chieftain Karaanegh at the decisive Battle of Reddew Fields, eventually became the nation's capital, although Lastrevik remained one of the most important ports in Genvegr, linking the realm to Kyrania, in turn the main hub for intercontinental trade.
The south of Genvegr, however, beyond the Twin Rivers, remained rather firmly in the hands of the gnolls for a long time; it took over a hundred years before contact with the dwarves beneath Mount Kipnash, as they called it, was established. With Genveger forces creating a reasonably safe corridor towards the northern part of the continent, many of them chose to leave their subterranean kingdom behind, their clans having been confined to its halls of stone for as long as anyone could remember. Hargyng was founded in these days, first as a military outpost, and abandoned and reclaimed many times as the Genvegers clashed with the gnolls; as the years passed and the gnolls were largely driven back into the forests and their cunningly concealed subterranean lairs, however, it grew into a city in its own right, less splendid than Dorn, but more resilient and the spirits of its occupants more indomitable. Today, Hargyng is an autonomous city-state that prides itself on its neutrality, which is fairly in keeping with the mentality of Genvegr as a whole. An unusually high percentage of its population consists of dwarves, the descendants of the clans that once lived beneath Mount Kipnash; when a great host of gnolls, seemingly coming out of nowhere, laid siege to and eventually razed their kingdom, they were forced to flee, escaping only by means of secret corridors and paths delved into the mountain to emerge on its southern side, where the gnolls' forces were distracted long enough by a division of the Dorn military for the dwarves to make for Hargyng. In no small part thanks to their stonecrafting skills, the city soon began to resemble a fortress in many ways, its formidable walls more awe-inspiring than even those of Genvegr's capital; this is just as well, for the lands outside still are subject to gnoll raids, and though they haven't mustered an army large enough to threaten Hargyng ever since the dwarves' kingdom fell, no one is willing to discount that possibility altogether.
As a nation, Genvegr is almost fiercely independent, and while it is nominally ruled by a king (the throne currently being held by Merkred III), its cities and villages largely govern their own affairs. While it all who will honour its laws are welcome, Genvegr is politically neutral and does not usually become involved in the affairs of other realms. The only exception in recent memory was the fleet sent to assist Utinmar during the final days of the Great War, which is generally recognised by historians as the deciding factor in the final defeat of the Vaerian fleet. Genvegr, and Hargyng in particular, prides itself on being neutral ground, where affiliation with any one race or kingdom is irrelevant as long as the peace is not disturbed, a policy with both upsides and downsides: cultures usually mingle a good deal more here than in other realms, but those who have wrought too much evil elsewhere often flee to Genvegr, where they rarely continue to be hunted and can bide their time in relative safety.

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Lander county's safe as heaven,
despite all the strife and boilin',
Tin Star,
Oh how she's an icon of the eastern west,
But now the time has come to end our song,
of the Tin Star, the Tin Star!
Ok, thanks for the information, editing background appropriately.

What's the deal with rituals and those who have been deprived of power? Since even Martial characters can pick up training to use them, I'm not sure if the magic is in the user, or in the ritual itself, but for clerics and wizards who might be skilled at performing rituals, can they still use them when not powered?

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

LightWarden posted:

What's the deal with rituals and those who have been deprived of power? Since even Martial characters can pick up training to use them, I'm not sure if the magic is in the user, or in the ritual itself, but for clerics and wizards who might be skilled at performing rituals, can they still use them when not powered?
With rituals, the magic is both in the ritual and the caster; as such, no powers, no rituals.

Nimlach
Jul 22, 2008

MMAgCh posted:

Nimlach: looking good as well. Because I failed to lay out the initial scene of the game itself, the post itself doesn't quite mesh with how things are going to play out; the concept as such is absolutely sound, though. (I wonder though: how did Alagand get to meet Carthaune, if not by way of an invitation?)

I see your point. I can make this a minor edit if Alagand can have met with some assistant who's in on Carthaune's plan. Is that ok? Want to give me a name for such a person?

MMAgCh posted:

The feat looks fine; in fact, bumping it up to 3 ongoing damage would be OK too. Alternatively, the following is what I came up with; feel free to use whichever.

code:
  [b]Channel Divinity: Tiamat's Vengeance[/b]	Immediate Reaction		Feat Power
			Keywords:	Divine (Ranged 10)
			Trigger: 	An enemy scores a critical hit on you or an ally
			Effect: 	You or the ally gain combat advantage against the enemy until
					the end of his or her next turn

cool, I'll take yours. Thanks.

The Transhumanist
Jan 2, 2008

Fixed a whack of errors on my sheet I noticed. Also, did a skill swap: History in place of Intimidate, as it fits the character better.

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

So when are you going to select MEN

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

Nimlach posted:

I see your point. I can make this a minor edit if Alagand can have met with some assistant who's in on Carthaune's plan. Is that ok? Want to give me a name for such a person?
One Kalas Farstrom, a dwarven wizard, could be Alagand's "inside connection". He spends much time abroad, in particular representing the Academy in the greater Mitback area, where he keeps an eye out for potential students, gives lectures on the arcane arts, provides miscellaneous magical services to the populace and so on. It would be possible to approach him in private, and as he works closely with Carthaune on a number of subjects, he is in a position to get Alagand permission to enter the Academy grounds even without an invitation if he makes his case convincingly beforehand. That way, he could be there with the rest of the party-to-be.
Will this work for you?

Winson_Paine posted:

So when are you going to select MEN
Recruitment will likely close on Sunday or early next week, since there doesn't appear to be much in the way of sheets coming in anymore!

Nimlach
Jul 22, 2008
OK, background edits done, hopefully they are sufficient, and character sheet posted.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2939108&pagenumber=2#post348252266

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Straight to the head
I never missed...you
The background looks OK. You still call Farstrom 'Master Carthaune' at one point, though. ;)

As for the sheet: clerics get +2 to Will, not +1 to Fort and Will each. You're also short one healing surge (clerics get 7 + CON modifier surges). Finally, since mundane gear is free, you should have 60gp left over, not 39gp.

It would help if you were on IRC, incidentally. Easier to talk about things like these in chat.

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

You should rename the channel like #mmagame or something

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

Winson_Paine posted:

You should rename the channel like #mmagame or something
Can't rename channels :sigh:

Nimlach
Jul 22, 2008

MMAgCh posted:

The background looks OK. You still call Farstrom 'Master Carthaune' at one point, though. ;)

As for the sheet: clerics get +2 to Will, not +1 to Fort and Will each. You're also short one healing surge (clerics get 7 + CON modifier surges). Finally, since mundane gear is free, you should have 60gp left over, not 39gp.

It would help if you were on IRC, incidentally. Easier to talk about things like these in chat.

Problems fixed. I'm working on getting an IRC client, but its proving a little more difficult that I was expecting...

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
http://www.synirc.org/

Aschlafly
Jan 5, 2004

I identify as smart.
(But that doesn't make it so...)
Background is up. I hope it doesn't suffer from too much :words:. I tried to fit the scale of the world somewhat and make the character reasonably complex, though it's my first serious DnD character in a while.

Also: if anyone's was in the Everleaf between 10 and 5 years ago, there's a good chance you've worked with Petra.

Aschlafly fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Aug 30, 2008

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Straight to the head
I never missed...you
I have just determined that recruitment will close Monday evening at, like, 8pm CET or something like that! Picks to follow on Tuesday or Wednesday! Aren't you happy!

Stormtrooper
Oct 18, 2003

Imperial Servant

code:

[img]http://kuu.net/~stormtrooper/cpn/seperator.gif[/img]

Class & Level			[i]Wizard 11[/i]
Paragon Path			[i]Spellstorm Mage[/i]
Race				[i]Half-Elf[/i]
Alignment			[i]Lawful Good[/i]
Height				[i]5' 11"[/i]
Weight				[i]150 lb[/i]
Age				[i]27[/i]
Deity				[i]Corellon[/i]
Size				[i]Medium[/i]
Speed				[i]6 squares[/i]
Vision				[i]Low-light[/i]
Weapon Proficiency		[i]Dagger, Quarterstaff[/i]
Armor Proficiency		[i]Cloth[/i]
Initiative			[i]7 (+1 Helm of Battle)[/i]
Maximum Hit Points		[i]63 (+10 Toughness)[/i]
Bloodied			[i]31 (+5 Toughness)[/i]
Surge Value			[i]16[/i]
Surges/Day			[i]7[/i]
.			[b][u]Abilities[/u][/b]

BASE	POINTS	RACIAL	BONUS	TOTAL	MODIFIER
STR	8			+1	9	-1
CON	10		+2	+1	13	+1
DEX	10	+3		+1	14	+2
INT	10	+5		+3	18	+4
WIS	10	+5		+3	18	+4
CHA	10	+4	+2	+1	17	+3
.			[b][u]Defenses[/u][/b]

BASE	LEVEL	ABIL	CLASS	ITEM	TOTAL
AC	10	+5	+4		+2	+21
FORT	10	+5	+1		+1	+17
REF	10	+5	+4		+1	+20
WILL	10	+5	+4	+2	+1	+22
.			[b][u]Feats[/u][/b]

Expanded Spellbook	[i]Each time you gain a new level of daily
			or utility wizard spells, you learn one
			extra spell of that level.[/i]
Improved Initiative	[i]You gain a +4 feat bonus to initiative 
			checks.[/i]
Human Perseverance	[i]You gain a +1 feat bonus to saving
			throws.[/i]
Toughness		[i]You gain an additional 5 hit points at 
			each tier of play.[/i]
Group Insight		[i]You grant allies within 10 squares of
			you a +1 racial bonus to Insight checks
			and initiative checks.[/i]
Spell Focus		[i]Creatures that attempt saving throws 
			against your wizard powers take a –2
			penalty to the rolls.[/i]
Danger Sense		[i]When you make an initiative check,
			roll twice and take the higher of the
			two rolls.[/i]
.			[b][u]Equipment[/u][/b]

ITEM / DESCRIPTION			QUANTITY	WEIGHT
Magic Orb (lvl 10)			1
	[i]+3 to attack and damage
	rolls (critical: +3d6)[/i]
Helm of Battle (lvl 9)			1
	[i]+1 item bonus to initiative
	for you and allies within 5
	squares[/i]
Magic Armor +2				1
	[i]+2 item bonus to AC[/i]
Amulet of Health +1			1
	[i]+1 to FORT, REF, WILL[/i]
Bag of Holding				1		1 lb
	[i]holds 200 lb or 20 cu ft[/i]
	[i]CONTAINS[/i]
	Ritual Candle			1		
		[i]+2 power bonus to
		skills as part of
		ritual[/i]
	Backpack			1		2 lb
	Bedroll				1		5 lb
	Flint and Steel			1
	Belt Pounch			1		.5 lb
	Journeybread (10 days)		1		1 lb
	Silken Rope			1		5 lb
	Sunrod				2		2 lb
	Waterskin			1		4 lb
	Fine Clothing			4		24 lb		
	Spellbook			1		3 lb
	Tent				1		20 lb
	Gold Pieces			375
	[i]RITUAL COMPONENTS[/i]
		Alchemical Reagents	260
		Mystic Salves		520
		Rare Herbs		70
.			[b][u]Skills[/u][/b]

BASE	ATTR	LEVEL	RACIAL	ITEM	TOTAL
Diplomacy	5	+3	+5	+2		+15
Insight		0	+4	+5	+2		+11
Arcana		5	+4	+5			+14
Religion	5	+4	+5			+14
History		5	+4	+5			+14
.			[b][u]Powers[/u][/b]

[b]At-Will[/b]

[u]Ghost Sound[/u]
[i]At-Will - Arcane, Illusion
Standard Action  Ranged 10
Target: One object or unoccupied square
Effect: You cause a sound as quiet as a whisper or as loud as 
a yelling or fighting creature to emanate from the target. 
You can produce nonvocal sounds such as the ringing of a 
sword blow, jingling armor, or scraping stone. If you whis-
per, you can whisper quietly enough that only creatures 
adjacent to the target can hear your words.[/i]

[u]Light[/u]
[i]At-Will - Arcane
Minor Action Ranged 5
Target: One object or unoccupied square
Effect: You cause the target to shed bright light. The light 
fills the target’s square and all squares within 4 squares of 
it. The light lasts for 5 minutes. Putting out the light is a 
free action.
Special: You can have only one light cantrip active at a time. If 
you create a new light, your previously cast light winks out.[/i]

[u]Mage Hand[/u]
[i]At-Will - Arcane, Conjuration
Minor Action  Ranged 5
Effect: You conjure a spectral, floating hand in an unoc-
cupied square within range. The hand picks up, moves, 
or manipulates an adjacent object weighing 20 pounds 
or less and carries it up to 5 squares. If you are holding 
the object when you use this power, the hand can move 
the object into a pack, a pouch, a sheath, or a similar con-
tainer and simultaneously move any one object carried or 
worn anywhere on your body into your hand.
    As a move action, you can move the hand up to 5 
squares. As a free action, you can cause the hand to drop 
an object it is holding, and as a minor action, you can 
cause the hand to pick up or manipulate a different object
Sustain Minor: You can sustain the hand indefinitely.
Special: You can create only one hand at a time.[/i]

[u]Prestidigitation[/u]
[i]At-Will - Arcane
Standard Action  Ranged 2
Effect: Use this cantrip to accomplish one of the effects 
given below.
- Move up to 1 pound of material.
-   Create a harmless sensory effect, such as a shower 
of sparks, a puff of wind, faint music, or a strong odo
?  Color, clean, or soil items in 1 cubic foot for up to 
1 hour.
-  Instantly light (or snuff out) a candle, a torch, or a 
small campfire.
-  Chill, warm, or flavor up to 1 pound of nonliving ma
terial for up to 1 hour.
-  Make a small mark or symbol appear on a surface fo
up to 1 hour.
-  Produce out of nothingness a small item or image 
that exists until the end of your next turn.
-  Make a small, handheld item invisible until the end 
your next turn.
    Nothing you create with this cantrip can deal damage,
serve as a weapon or a tool, or hinder another creature’s 
actions. This cantrip cannot duplicate the effect of any 
other power.
Special: You can have as many as three prestidigitation 
 effects active at one time.[/i]

[u]Scorching Blast 1[/u]
[i]At-Will - Arcane, Fire, Implement
Standard Action  Area burst 1 within 10 squares
Target: Each creature in burst
Attack: Intelligence vs. Reflex
Hit: 1d6 + Intelligence modifier fire damage.
Increase damage to 2d6 + Intelligence modifier at 21st level.[/i]

[u]Cloud of Daggers 1[/u]
[i]You create a small cloud of whirling daggers of force that relent-
lessly attack creatures in the area.
At-Will - Arcane, Force, Implement
Standard Action  Area 1 square within 10 squares
Target: Each creature in square
Hit: 1d6 + Intelligence modifier force damage.
Increase damage to 2d6 + Intelligence modifier at 21st level.
Effect: The power’s area is filled with sharp daggers of force. 
Any creature that enters the area or starts its turn there 
takes force damage equal to your Wisdom modifier (mini-
mum 1). The cloud remains in place until the end of your 
next turn. You can dispel it earlier as a minor action.[/i]

[b]Encounter[/b]

[u]Icy Terrain 1[/u]
[i]Encounter - Arcane, Cold, Implement
Standard Action  Area burst 1 within 10 squares
Hit: 1d6 + Intelligence modifier cold damage, and the tar-
get is knocked prone.
Effect: The power’s area is difficult terrain until the end of 
your next turn. You can end this effect as a minor action.[/i]

[u]Color Spray 3[/u]
[i]Encounter - Arcane, Implement, Radiant
Standard Action Close blast 5
Target: Each creature in blast
Attack: Intelligence vs. Will
Hit: 1d6 + Intelligence modifier radiant damage, and the 
target is dazed until the end of your next turn.[/i]

[u]Enemies Abound 7[/u]
[i]Encounter - Arcane, Illusion, Implement
standard Action  Area burst 1 within 20 squares
Target: Each enemy in burst
hit: 2d8 + Intelligence modifier psychic damage, and 
you and your allies can treat the target as an ally for 
the purposes of flanking until the end of your next 
turn.[/i]

[u]Storm Cage 11[/u]
[i]Encounter - Arcane, Conjuration, Implement, Lightning,
Thunder
Standard Action Area burst 2 within 20 squares
Hit: 4d6 + Intelligence modifier lightning and thunder 
damage.
Effect: You conjure a wall in the 16 outer squares of the 
burst (forming a square enclosure). Any creature that starts 
its turn adjacent to the wall or moves into a wall square 
takes 10 lightning damage. Moving into a wall square costs 
1 extra square of movement. The wall does not grant cover 
or concealment. It lasts until the end of your next turn.[/i]

[b]Daily[/b]

[u]Freezing Cloud 1[/u]
[i]Daily - Arcane, Cold, Implement
Standard Action  Area burst 2 within 10 squares
Attack: Intelligence vs. Fortitude
Hit: 1d8 + Intelligence modifier cold damage.
Miss: Half damage.
Effect: The cloud lasts until the end of your next turn. Any 
creature that enters the cloud or starts its turn there is 
subject to another attack. You can dismiss the cloud as a 
minor action.[/i]

[u]Sleep 1[/u]
[i]Daily - Arcane, Implement, Sleep
Standard Action  Area burst 2 within 20 squares
Hit: The target is slowed (save ends). If the target fails its 
first saving throw against this power, the target becomes 
unconscious (save ends).
Miss: The target is slowed (save ends).[/i]

[u]Phantom Chasm 1[/u]
[i]Daily - Arcane, Illusion, Implement
Standard Action  Area burst 1 within 20 squares
hit: 2d6 + Intelligence modifier psychic damage, and 
the target is prone and immobilized until the end of 
its next turn.
miss: The target is immobilized until the end of your 
next turn.[/i]

[u]Fireball 5[/u]
[i]Daily - Arcane, Fire, Implement
Standard Action  Area burst 3 within 20 squares
Hit: 3d6 + Intelligence modifier fire damage.
Miss: Half damage.[/i]

[u]Stinking Cloud 5[/u]
[i]Daily - Arcane, Implement, Poison, Zone
Standard Action  Area burst 2 within 20 squares
Hit: 1d10 + Intelligence modifier poison damage.
Effect: The burst creates a zone of poisonous vapor that 
blocks line of sight until the end of your next turn. Creatures 
that enter the zone or start their turns there take 1d10 + 
Intelligence modifier poison damage. As a move action, you 
can move the zone up to 6 squares.
Sustain Minor: The zone persists.[/i]

[u]Web 5[/u]
[i]Daily - Arcane, Implement, Zone
Standard Action Area burst 2 within 20 squares
Hit: The target is immobilized (save ends).
Effect: The burst creates a zone of webs that fills the area 
until the end of the encounter or for 5 minutes. The zone is 
considered difficult terrain. Any creature that ends its move 
in the web is immobilized (save ends).[/i]

[u]Ice Storm 9[/u]
[i]Daily - Arcane, Cold, Implement, Zone
Standard Action Area burst 3 within 20 squares
Hit: 2d8 + Intelligence modifier cold damage, and the tar-
get is immobilized (save ends).
Miss: Half damage, and the target is slowed (save ends).
Effect: The burst creates a zone of ice. The zone is difficult 
terrain until the end of the encounter or for 5 minutes.[/i]

[u]Wall of Fire 9[/u]
[i]Daily - Arcane, Conjuration, Fire, Implement
Standard Action Area wall 8 within 10 squares
Effect: You conjure a wall that consists of contiguous 
squares filled with arcane fire. It can be up to 8 squares 
long and up to 4 squares high. The wall lasts until the end
of your next turn. Any creature that starts its turn adjacent
to the wall takes 1d6 + Intelligence modifier fire damage. 
If a creature moves into the wall’s space or starts its turn 
there, the creature takes 3d6 + Intelligence modifier fire 
damage. Entering a square occupied by the wall costs 3 
extra squares of movement. The wall blocks line of sight.
Sustain Minor: The wall persists.[/i]

[u]Mordenkainen's Sword 9[/u]
[i]Daily - Arcane, Conjuration, Force, Implement
Standard Action Ranged 10
Effect: You conjure a sword of force in an unoccupied square 
within range, and it attacks. As a move action, you can move 
the sword to a new target within range. The sword lasts 
until the end of your next turn.
Target: One creature adjacent to the sword
Hit: 1d10 + Intelligence modifier force damage.
Sustain Minor: When you sustain the sword, it attacks again.[/i]

[b]Utility[/b]

[u]Feather Fall 2[/u]
[i]Daily - Arcane
Free Action  Ranged 10
Trigger: You or one creature in range falls
Effect: You or the creature takes no damage from the fall, 
regardless of its distance, and does not fall prone at the 
end of the fall.[/i]

[u]Jump 2[/u]
[i]Encounter - Arcane
Move Action Ranged 10
Effect: The target makes an Athletics check to jump with a 
+10 power bonus, and the target does not have to move 
to make a running jump.[/i]

[u]Shield 2[/u]
[i]Encounter - Arcane, Force
Immediate Interrupt Personal
Trigger: You are hit by an attack
Effect: You gain a +4 power bonus to AC and Reflex defense 
until the end of your next turn.[/i]

[u]Dimension Door 6[/u]
[i]Daily - Arcane, Teleportation
Move Action  Personal
Effect: Teleport 10 squares. You can’t take other creatures 
with you.[/i]

[u]Dispel Magic 6[/u]
[i]Daily - Arcane
Standard Action  Ranged 10
Target: One conjuration or zone
Attack: Intelligence vs. the Will defense of the creator of the 
conjuration or the zone
Hit: The conjuration or the zone is destroyed. All its effects 
end, including those that normally last until a target saves.[/i]

[u]Invisibility 6[/u]
[i]Daily - Arcane, Illusion
Standard Action  Ranged 5
Effect: The target is invisible until the end of your next turn. 
If the target attacks, the target becomes visible.
Sustain Standard: If the target is within range, you can 
sustain the effect.[/i]

[u]Arcane Gate 9[/u]
[i]Daily - Arcane, Teleportation
Minor Action Ranged 20
Target: Two unoccupied squares
Effect: You create a dimensional rift between the two target 
squares that lasts until the end of your next turn. Any crea-
ture that enters one of the target squares can move to the 
other target square as if it were adjacent to that square. 
A creature cannot pass through the rift if either square is 
occupied by another creature.
Sustain Minor: The rift persists.[/i]

[u]Illusory Wall 9[/u]
[i]Encounter - Arcane, Illusion, Implement
Standard Action  Area wall 8 within 20 squares
Effect: You create the illusion of a contiguous wall of 
solid material (stone or metal, for example). The 
wall can be up to 8 squares long and 4 squares high. 
The wall blocks line of sight for all enemies (but not 
your allies). When any enemy moves adjacent to the 
wall, you can make an attack (Intelligence vs. Will) 
against that target; if successful, the target cannot 
move through the wall on its current turn, but it can 
try again on later turns. On a miss, the wall no longer 
blocks line of sight or movement for that creature.
sustain minor: You can sustain this power until the end 
of the encounter. [/i]

[u]Mirror Image 9[/u]
[i]Daily - Arcane, Illusion
Minor Action Personal
Effect: Three duplicate images of yourself appear in your 
space, and you gain a +6 power bonus to AC. Each time 
an attack misses you, one of your duplicate images disap-
pears and the bonus granted by this power decreases by 2. 
When the bonus reaches 0, all your images are gone and 
the power ends. Otherwise, the effect lasts for 1 hour.[/i]
.			[b][u]Rituals[/u][/b]

[u]Gentle Repose[/u]
[i]Level: 1
Category: Restoration
Time: 1 hour
Duration: Special
Component Cost: 10 gp
Market Price: 50 gp
Key Skill: Heal (no check)
This ritual is performed on an adjacent corpse. It quintu-
ples the time the corpse can lie dead and still be affected 
by Raise Dead or a similar ritual. Gentle Repose also pro-
tects the corpse from being raised as an undead creature 
for 150 days.[/i]

[u]Comprehend Language[/u]
Category: Exploration
Time: 10 minutes
Duration: 24 hours
Component Cost: 10 gp
Key Skill: Arcana
When beginning the ritual, choose a language you have 
heard or a piece of writing you have seen within the past 
24 hours.
  Using this ritual on a language you have heard allows 
you to understand it when spoken for the next 24 hours 
and, if your Arcana check result is 35 or higher, to speak 
the language fluently for the duration.
  Using this ritual on a language you have seen as a piece
of writing allows you to read the language for the next 24 
hours and, if your Arcana check result is 35 or higher, to 
write the language in its native script or in any other script
you know for the duration.
  Using this ritual on a language you have both heard and
seen as a piece of writing within the past 24 hours allows 
you to understand it in both forms for the next 24 hours, 
and an Arcana check result of 35 or higher allows you to 
speak and write the language.[/i]

[u]Knock[/u]
[i]Level: 4
Duration: Instantaneous
Component Cost: 35 gp, 
plus 1 healing surge
Market Price: 175 gp
The Knock ritual allows you to open a single locked door, 
chest, gate, or other object. It even works against portals 
sealed with the Arcane Lock ritual or doors secured with 
bolts or bars that are on the far side, out of reach. You 
must defeat all the closures on a locked object to unlock 
it. You make one Arcana check per lock, bar, Arcane Lock, 
or similar closure. The object you unlock does not open 
automatically; you still must open it yourself after the ritua
unlocks it.
  Make an Arcana check with a +5 bonus in place of 
a Thievery check to open each lock or closure. (See the 
Thievery skill description, page 189, for example DCs.) To 
undo bolts or bars you normally couldn’t reach, you must 
succeed on a DC 20 Arcana check. 
  If you use this ritual successfully against a portal pro-
tected by Arcane Lock, you destroy the Arcane Lock and 
its effects end.[/i]

[u]Linked Portal[/u]
[i]Level: 8
Category: Travel
Duration: Special
Component Cost: 135 gp 
(see text)
Market Price: 680 gp
You create a shortcut across the fabric of the world, link-
ing your location with a permanent teleportation circle 
somewhere else on the same plane. With a step, you can 
move from one circle to the other. As part of performing 
the ritual, you must sketch out a 10-foot-diameter circle in 
various rare chalks and inks. This temporary teleportation 
circle must exactly match the permanent teleportation 
circle at your destination. It disappears at the end of the 
portal’s duration.
  At the completion of this ritual, make an Arcana check. 
The result determines the duration that the portal remains 
open. [/i]

[u]Make Whole[/u]
Duration: Permanent
Component Cost: Special
Key Skill: Arcana (no check)
A single object that can fit in a 10-foot cube is completely 
repaired. The component cost is 20 percent of the item’s 
cost. In cases where you attempt to repair an item not on 
any price list, the DM determines the cost.[/i]

[u]Raise Dead[/u]
[i]Level: 8
Category: Restoration
Time: 8 hours
Duration: Instantaneous
Component Cost: 500 gp
Market Price: 680 gp
Key Skill: Heal (no check)
To perform the Raise Dead ritual, you must have a part of 
the corpse of a creature that died no more than 30 days 
ago. You apply mystic salves, then pray to the gods to 
restore the dead creature’s life. The subject returns to life 
as if he or she had taken an extended rest. The subject is 
freed of any temporary conditions suffered at death, but 
permanent conditions remain.
    The subject returns with a death penalty: –1 to all 
attack rolls, skill checks, saving throws, and ability checks. 
This death penalty fades after the subject reaches three 
milestones.
    You can’t restore life to a creature that has been petri-
fied or to a creature that died of old age.
    The subject’s soul must be free and willing to return to 
life. Some magical effects trap the soul and thus prevent 
Raise Dead from working, and the gods can intervene to 

prevent a soul from journeying back to the realm of the 
living. In all cases, death is less inclined to return paragon 
and epic heroes; the component cost is 5,000 gp for para-
gon tier characters and 50,000 gp for epic tier characters.[/i]

[u]Travellers' Feast[/u]
[i]Level: 4
Time: 1 hour
Duration: 24 hours
Component Cost: 35 gp
Market Price: 175 gp
Key Skill: Nature (no check)
You create food and water, enough to feed five Medium or 
Small creatures or two Large creatures for 24 hours. You 
designate the type of eaters when performing the ritual, 
and the ritual creates appropriate food (trail rations for 
people, grain for horses, and so on).
  Any food or water created but uneaten disappears at 
the end of the duration.[/i]
.			[b][u]Backstory[/u][/b]
Coreladdabar always knew he was special. Even now, as he strolled through the halls the Academy of the Lake, surrounded by his peers, he could feel their jealous stares. There was no question in his mind; the onlookers knew who he was, and yes, they were envious. He allowed a small smile to creep onto his face, surely accentuating his chiseled features. All the commotion of the world around him seemed to fade away as he made his presence felt in these halls of arcane learning. Glancing about with noble restraint, Coreladdabar was sure to let his golden mane flow proudly about his shoulders. He felt quite at home here, at the very place he had left so many years ago after receiving the best arcane education known to Noremien. And indeed, now he had returned, summoned by the word of Carthaune himself. He was of course already acquainted, but Coreladdabar knew better than to approach the half-elf before the official introduction - that just wouldn't be polite to his companions. No, his reputation and connections would surely reach the ears of those around him soon enough. And as everyone knows, renown is natural, it needs no aid.

As Coreladdabar waited patiently at the Academy of the Lake, he took some time to recall his past. Much like one would relish eating flavorful chocolate from a gift box, he savored each memory with glee. Born to his esteemed parents, Coreladdabar of Lockhaven III and Mistress Eleanor von Trantenstein some twenty seven years ago, his creation was an unexpected surprise. Having other obligations in the Elven realms, Coreladdabar III left only his name and a respectable pile of riches with his son. Despite his father’s almost immediate absence, Coreladdabar IV spent his early childhood well looked after, frolicking with the other children in his mother’s court. She herself was from but a minor noble bloodline, but it granted her enough sway in the courts of Mitback to allow a lifestyle free of uncouth labor. The nurturing environment was good to her son, and he flourished among the court children. Well liked by all due to his exotic nature, and later, his arcane gifts, Coreladdabar fared well through his youth.

As it is prone to do, wanderlust soon struck the young half-elf and he set off to forge his own destiny at the age of 15. No longer did he need the sheltered seclusion of the Mitbackian courts. Of course, he wasn’t entirely alone, that would be foolish. Travelling along with him were three men at arms and a servant, paid for by the treasure horde his father had so graciously left behind. Coreladdabar had always been a well behaved child, and this sense of law came with him on his journey. Always conscious of the community around him, the young half-elf knew he had a duty to the kingdom of Utinmar. Word had reached Mitback that Orcish raids upon the trade routes had begun having an impact on commerce in Mitback. Coreladdabar knew this could not be tolerated, and thus he joined the call to arms of the citizens of Utinmar in defense of his homeland and all that was right and just.

Shortly thereafter, Coreladdabar had his first encounter with death. He and his three men were grouped with a number of other concerned citizens, intent on discovering the Orcish lair. Following a skilled tracker, they happened upon a number of disgusting Orcish hovels. Though Coreladdabar would have been happy to capture and try these beasts in the high courts of Mitback, he understood that the practicality of such an action was zero, especially in his present company. The bloodthirsty men of Mitback quickly began laying waste to the settlement. The Orcs, caught unawares, were barely able to fight back. At first the young half-elf was shocked by the devastation being wrought around him. He saw horrors that day he could never have imagined. As his childish innocence left him, he took the first steps down the path to manhood. Defended by his men at arms, Coreladdabar cast devastating spells upon the hapless beasts, felling what seemed at the time to be dozens. As the thatch huts went up in flames and the screams of the dying filtered through the haze of smoke, Coreladdabar allowed himself a moment of meditation. Yes, this was it. This was his new world. Staring at the corpses of Orcs lying in the ruins of their former dwellings, he knew in his heart that this was justice. This was the way things should be. Punishment had been dealt to these evildoers and Good and prevailed once again.

Returning to Mitback, Coreladdabar and the other men received recognition and awards for a job well done. Knowing that the whole of Mitback was in debt to him, now that was something to be proud of. Over the next few years, the half-elf chased that feeling. Nothing was better than basking in the adulation of those around him. His men at arms grew rich and experienced in his service, and he recruited additional men to help him on his crusade against evil. Coreladdabar traveled all of Utinmar, seeking out those evil hordes that threatened the trade and prosperity of the region. He never had to ask for payment; he was content in letting it come to him. And that it did. Nobles, town councils, and merchants all contributed to his coffers. Soon he was known to many as Coreladdabar, Defender of Justice.

But as is the way of the half-elf, Coreladdabar could not be content with such an existence. No, he knew that the development of his magical powers had been neglected in his wanton pursuit of glory. One early July morning, he sent by messenger his application to the Academy of the Lake. No more than a week later did he receive a reply. He was accepted. Coreladdabar promptly handed over control of his forces of justice to his right hand man, one of the original three that had accompanied him since his youth, and left for the Academy of the Lake. And thus a new chapter of his life began.

Coreladdabar’s reputation had preceded him. Wielders of arcane power throughout the Academy knew him by name, and recognized his exploits. Though he was entering the academy a little later than was tradition, he was quick to adapt to his new environment. While his arcane education was doing well, Coreladdabar secretly yearned for the open road and adventure. But the skills and spells he was learning here at the Academy, he knew, would ultimately benefit him when the time came once again to banish evil and bring justice to the land. After five long years at the Academy, Coreladdabar was finished. He knew he had learned everything that they could possibly offer to him. Everything his intellect and powers could grasp was within his means. He bid farewell to his mentors and once again set foot in the real world.

Now in his mid-twenties, Coreladdabar possessed a solid set of magical powers, and the experience necessary to wield them in the name of good and justice. But he was a believer in progress, not stagnation. Why go back to his old ways of riding with a well equipped group of men? Surely his powers were strong enough to serve him without the need of aid from mere men. And Utinmar? Hah, a small place, why stay here when boundless opportunity no doubt awaited him in other lands. Coreladdabar set off across The Wretched Sea to the lands of Vaere and Saaran, where he sought adventure in the name of all that was Good. Finishing his tour of the continent, he then traveled to Genvegr where he drew much blood and crushed a variety of local evil denizens. Returning to Utinmar as a more worldly individual, Coreladdabar had satisfied his wanderlust for some time.

Blinking back to reality, Coreladdabar took stock of his surroundings and prepared himself mentally for the meeting with Carthaune ...

Stormtrooper fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Aug 31, 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Rh'jamiz Zauvir

When looking into his past, it would not be fair to call Rh'jamiz an evil man. He had only been an innocent child of 14 years. Raised in a small settlement some miles from Mitback, Rh'jamiz did not live a life of plenty. His only family had been his mother, what with his father running off after learning of his mother's pregnancy. She did the best she could as a seamstress, attempting to provide her son an opportunity for a better life than the one they had, while Rh'jamiz would do odd-jobs around the village as a means to put food on the table with some regularity. With what little gold she made, she bought him books about magic, insisting that her son do as much studying as possible, so that he could grow up to be a wizard, rich and powerful. And as smart as he was, and as much as he loved his mother, Rh'jamiz found himself too impatient for the proper study of magic. He went too fast, advanced too early, and made several mistakes. If it weren't for the fact that Rh'jamiz practiced on a hill overlooking the village, he would have burned down his own home several times over.

It was on one such night atop that hill, at that tender age of 14 years, that the course of Rh'jamiz's life changed drastically. He had been searching for something to impress his mother with, to show her how much he had learned, when he stumbled upon an unnamed ritual, with no description and no listed components. The symbols were complicated, the incantation complex. He was curious, and he was certain the result would be impressive. Sure, it was above his level of knowledge. But he tried his hardest, mispronouncing words and drawing crudely. Despite the horrific mistakes that should of doomed the ritual to failure, some twist of fate intervened. Either fortunately or tragically, Rh'jamiz found himself standing in total, penetrating blackness, surrounded by a feeling of nothingness. He could not feel the wind or the ground beneath his feet, and he couldn't see his own hand in front of his face. Out of the emptiness, a Presence came. He could not hear it move, or see its shape, or even smell its breath, but he felt it nonetheless. A coldness. A darkness, blacker than the emptiness that surrounded him. And then it; no, they spoke to him, into him. Into his mind, heart, and soul. They read his thoughts and desires, and offered him everything he had wanted. Power. Respect. Wealth. And in return, they asked for two things. Service, and a sacrifice. To seal their pact, the unnamed asked Rh'jamiz to sacrifice the thing he loved most in the mortal world; his mother. He had until the New Moon to decide. That was about the point when the fear, the cold, and the utter blackness overtook the poor child, and he passed out.

He awoke the next morning to find himself in his own bed, drenched in a cold sweat. The events of the previous night were fuzzy, as if only a dream. But he could feel it in his mind, with a dreaded certainty. He knew, somehow, the way in which his mother would have to die in order to gain the powers he so desperately wished for. Understandably, the next three days were the longest in all of Rh'jamiz's life. He did not leave his room save to eat and drink and relieve himself, simply staring at a dark corner of the wall, rocking back and forth in contemplation. Finally, on the night of the Third Day, Rh'jamiz made his decision. With tears streaming down his face, the boy walked into his mother's bedroom, and to her terror and confusion, overpowered her and clubbed her over the head. Rh'jamiz then dragged her out into the kitchen and tied her arms and legs down on the family table. Unfortunately, she was awake when he started cutting. Her screams were muffled by the dishrag, and the last thing she saw was her son's face, a bloody kitchen knife clutched in his hands.

Upon making the final incision, Rh'jamiz once more found himself standing in the Void. The Unnamed were pleased with his sacrifice, and the pact was sealed. The boy would have the powers he so desired, and in return, he would complete any task the Unnamed demanded of him. He would not know when or where a task would be handed down. He was to obey, or fall into disfavor. Before he could even respond, the cold overtook him, and he passed out. When he awakened, he did not find himself in his bed, but instead lying on the ground in a small wooded area a mile outside of the village. Filled with grief and anger, not wishing to return and face the questioning of the other members of the village, Rh'jamiz fled toward Mitback, seeking to start a new life there. Unfortunately, even with his new-found power, Rh'jamiz was just a kid. He had no trade skills, and no practical knowledge. As frustrated and angry as he was, he did what any kid would do; he lashed out. He started off ambushing citizens in dark alleyways, knocking them unconscious and running off with their purse. He would sometimes be forced to compete with other cutpurses and thugs, fighting off their blades with spells and curses. Twice during his years as a thug, the Unnamed called upon him to preform some unsavory task, often without his understanding. Each task was seemingly random, but the Unnamed were incredibly specific. The first task was to murder a specific merchant as he was returning to the city. The second was to burn down a small house on the outskirts. The boy completed each task willingly, not wishing to lose favor with his patrons. Rh'jamiz lived on the fringe of society like this for several years, and became quite adept at lying his way out of trouble should the need ever arise, as it so often did.

It wasn't until Rh'jamiz was 18 years old that he developed enough patience to actually sit down and begin studying again. It was also about this time that he decided to try to get some legitimate work, as opposed to ambushing merchants for their gold. Posing as an amateur wizard, Rh'jamiz began taking jobs that were looked upon by some wizards as "beneath them". These generally consisted of using magic as brute force, either as protection or to take care of some problem. The gold they earned was meager, but it was legitimately earned. He spent what money he made on room and board, and he spent what time he had to himself either pouring over whatever material regarding the arcane or religious rites the library of Mitback had, or staring up at the stars, trying desperately to find out more about the situation he was in, and the type of being he served. Unfortunately, the only information he could find after searching for so long was a small amount of information on warlocks who studied the stars and that which lies beyond. This lack of information infuriated Rh'jamiz. Deciding that nothing more could be learned in Mitback, he fled the city, stealing a horse and travel-pack from an unfortunate traveler who was on his way to Niemund.

Rh'jamiz spent the next fourteen years traveling all across Noremien, scouring the continents for whatever occult and obscure secrets he could find. Whether those secrets were deep inside some forgotten ruin, or locked away in a village temple, Rh'jamiz aimed to take them. To fund his research, he was forced to hire himself out as an adventurer of sorts. Small stuff at first. Solving a local mystery, helping defend a town from bandits, recovering stolen goods, or hiring himself out as a Navigator for sea-going vessels. The usual things. It wasn't long before his name began to spread from town to town, passed along primarily by the merchant caravans that criss-crossed the world. They spoke of an unusual, eccentric wizard. A problem-solver. Rh'jamiz quickly discovered these sorts of jobs payed very well, and when combined with certain objects of value he recovered from various ruins, he had amassed a tidy fortune, which was promptly spent on what magical gear he could afford. Rh'jamiz also learned that there were some things he could not tackle alone, and set about gathering together a small group of mercenaries. While the group did what work they could find amongst the numerous border towns, their primary purposes was to act as bodyguards for Rh'jamiz during expeditions into tombs or ruined temples. And while the work was exceedingly dangerous, and more than once they lost a member of the group to some reanimated horror or insidious trap, the pay was exceptional.

During his travels, Rh'jamiz and his company's reputations grew, and not only because of their heroic exploits, success in raiding ancient ruins, and Rh'jamiz's impressive, growing collection of secrets and lore. The services he was forced to preform for the Unnamed also followed his winding path, though he took no pleasure in them. Entire villages killed in their sleep. Crops withering to dust. Forests scorched to cinders. While nothing was ever traced back to the Company, rumors were abound that misfortune followed in Rh'jamiz's wake. The only consolation was the irregularity and infrequency of such cursed events. No one was sure if they would be the next to suffer, but everyone was certain it wouldn't be for a long while yet, if at all. The best course of action was to give the eccentric wizard what he wanted, get what you needed in return, and send him on his way.

The last two and a half months have been odd for Rh'jamiz. First, there was this Eclipse business, with the majority of the land losing their arcane and divine abilities. All except him. He had no doubt he had the Unnamed to thank for that small favor. Assuming he was still linked with them. Granted, he had not received any directives from them for some time, but such was not unusual. Only time would tell. The Eclipse had caused a sharp increase in demand for his services, of which he was all too willing to take advantage of for the time being. Secondly, there was this letter from Ravic Carthaune, the headmaster of the Academy and a Councilmember, to boot. It asked that he come to the Academy. It promised a reward. And it declared the matter as urgent. Rh'jamiz wasn't one to pass up the opportunity to pry into the Academy's libraries, let alone turn down an invitation from the Academy Headmaster. Who knows what information they had locked up in there. So he had chartered a boat as quickly as he could, traveling all the way from Vaere, forced to leave his company behind in Syno. It was this that brought him here, to the Academy of the Lake, on the last of the Month. Striding confidently down the halls to where-ever it is Carthaune has designated as the meeting place, Rh'jamiz simply ignores the glances or stares of those around him. Either they knew him or they didn't. It mattered little to the Warlock. Either way, it was time to find out just what he was summoned here for...

Click here for the full 504x848 image.

Totally not edited. Definitely human.

quote:

Rh'jamiz Zauvir

Male Human Warlock / Doomsayer
Level 11
Unaligned
Representing Rhjamiz (har har)

Strength 12 (+1)
Constitution 18 (+4)
Dexterity 12 (+1)
Intelligence 14 (+2)
Wisdom 12 (+1)
Charisma 20 (+5)

Height: 6' 0"
Weight: 170 lb
Skin: Pale
Eyes: Green
Hair: Black

Maximum Hit Points: 80

Bloodied: 40
Surge Value: 20
Surges / Day: 10 [includes constitution modifier]

Size: Medium
Speed: 6 squares
Vision: Normal

Initiative: 1d20 +8 = + 5 [half level] + 1 [dexterity] + 2 [quick draw]
Base Strength Attack: 1d20 +6 = + 5 [half level + 1 [strength]
Base Dexterity Attack: 1d20 +6 = + 5 [half level + 1 [dexterity]
Base Constitution Attack: 1d20 +9 = + 5 [half level + 4 [constitution]
Base Intelligence Attack: 1d20 +7 = + 5 [half level + 2 [intelligence]
Base Wisdom Attack: 1d20 +6 = + 5 [half level + 1 [wisdom]
Base Charisma Attack: 1d20 +10 = + 5 [half level + 5 [charisma]

Armor Class: 21 = 10 + 5 [half level] + 2 [intelligence] + 2 [leather] +2 [enhancement]
Fortitude Defense: 23 = 10 + 5 [half level] + 1 [Human] + 4 [constitution] + 3 [item]
Reflex Defense: 22 = 10 + 5 [half level] + 1 [Human] + 1 [warlock] + 2 [intelligence] + 3 [item]
Will Defense: 25 = 10 + 5 [half level] + 1 [Human] + 1 [warlock] + 5 [charisma] + 3 [item]

Armor: Lvl 10 Deathcut Leather + 2 (15 lb)

Shield: None

Resists: 5 poison and 5 necrotic [Deathcut Armor +2]

Attacks:

Unarmed Melee: 6 vs AC [+6 strength]; damage 1[W]=1d4+1 [strength]
Ceremonial Sacrificial Dagger: +9 vs AC [+6 strength] [+3 proficiency]; damage 1[W]=1d4+1 [strength]
Thrown: +9 vs AC [+6 dexterity] [+3 proficient, damage 1d4+1 [dexterity]
Frost Sickle: +9 vs AC [+6 strength] [+2 proficiency] [+1 item]; damage 1[W]=1d6+2 [strength + item]
Hand crossbow: +8 vs AC [+6 dexterity] [+2 proficiency]; damage 1[W]=1d6+1 [dexterity]
Dire Radiance +9i [constitution] vs fortitude
Eldritch Blast +10 (charisma) vs reflex
Eyebite +10i [charisma] vs will
Dreadful Word +10i [charisma] vs will
Dread Star +9i [charisma] vs will
Frigid Darkness +9i [constitution] vs fortitude
Hunger of Hadar +9i [constitution] vs fortitude on secondary attack
Sign of Ill Omen +10i [charisma] vs will
Summons of Khirad +9i [constitution] vs will
Fates Entwined +10i [charisma] vs will
i Implement-usable power. Apply a bonus as appropriate.

Base Saving Throw: d20 vs 10

Encumberance 4e

Normal Load: 120 lb.
Heavy Load: 240 lb.
Maximum Drag Load 600 lb.

Languages: Common, Abyssal, Supernal, Primordial, Deep Speech

Rituals Known:
Make Whole
Comprehend Language
Gentle Repose
Secret Page
Silence
Detect Secret Doors
Arcane Lock
Enchant Magic Item
Knock
Disenchant Magic Item
Leomund's Secret Chest
Linked Portal
Phantom Steed
Speak With Dead
Water Breathing
Water Walk
Magic Circle
Brew Potion
Tenser's Floating Disk

Skills:

Acrobatics: +6 = 1 [dexterity] + 5 [half level]
Arcana: +12 = 2 [intelligence] + 5 [half level] + 5 [class training]
Athletics: +6 = 1 [strength] + 5 [half level]
Bluff: +18 = 5 [charisma] + 5 [half level] + 5 [class training] + 3 [skill focus]
Diplomacy: +9 = 4 [charisma] + 5 [half level]
Dungeoneering: +6 = 1 [wisdom] + 5 [half level]
Endurance: +9 = 4 [constitution] + 5 [half level]
Heal: +6 = 1 [wisdom] + 5 [half level]
History: +12 = 2 [intelligence] + 5 [half level] + 5 [class training]
Insight: +11 = 1 [wisdom] + 5 [half level] + 5 [class training]
Intimidate: +15 = 5 [charisma] + 5 [half level] + 5 [class training]
Nature: +6 = 1 [wisdom] + 5 [half level]
Perception: +6 = 1 [wisdom] + 5 [half level]
Religion: +12 = 2 [intelligence] + 5 [half level] + 5 [skill training]
Stealth: +6 = 1 [dexterity] + 5 [half level]
Streetwise: +10 = 5 [charisma] + 5 [half level]
Thievery: +6 = 1 [dexterity] + 5 [half level]

Feats:

Improved Fate of the Void
Linguist x1
Quickdraw
Ritual Caster
Skill Focus -- Bluff
Skill Training -- Religion
Inescapable Force
Twofold Curse

At-Will:

Basic Melee Attack: By weapon, damage 1[W]+1 [strength]
Basic Ranged Attack: By weapon, damage 1[W]+1 [dexterity]
Bull Rush: +6 [strength] vs fortitude
Grab: +6 [strength] vs reflex
Move grabbed target: +6 [strength] vs fortitude
Escape: +6 [acrobatics] vs reflex / +6 [athletics] vs fortitude
Warlock's Curse [Warlock][minor action]
Dire Radiance [Level 1]
Eldritch Blast [Level 1]
Eyebite [Level 1]

Other Standard Actions: Administer a potion; Aid another; Charge [+1 to basic melee attack or bull rush]; Coup de grace; Equip / stow shield; Ready an action; Total defense; Sustain standard action; Some skills during combat (i.e., Acrobatics -- fast escape; Bluff, Heal -- first aid, Intimidate, Perception -- active, Thievery depending on circumstances)

Other Move Actions: Crawl; Run [speed 8]; Stand up; Shift; Squeeze; Walk; may include some skills during combat (i.e., Acrobatics, Athletics)

Other Minor Actions: Draw / sheathe weapon; Drink a potion; Drop prone; Load a crossbow; Open / close a door; Pick up an item; Retrieve / stow an item; Sustain minor action; Some skills during combat (i.e., Insight)

Other Immediate Action: Readied action

Other Opportunity Action: Opportunity attack

Other Free Actions: Drop held items; End a grab; Talk

Other Non-Actions: Delay; Endurance checks; Insight to counter Bluff; Knowledge checks; Perception -- passive

Short rest: Healing surges as available

Five minutes: Normal escape from restraints (Acrobatics)

One hour: Forage; Streetwise check

Encounter Powers:

Second Wind
Spend an Action Point [free action, not in surprise round]
Dreadful Word [Level 1]
Ethereal Stride [Level 2 Utility][move action]
Frigid Darkness [Level 3]
Sign of Ill Omen [Level 7]
Fates Entwined [Doomsayer Level 11]

Daily Powers:

Dread Star [Level 1]
Hunger of Hadar [Level 5]
Dark One's Own Luck [Level 6 Utility][free action]
Summons of Khirad [Level 9]
Shadow Form [Level 10 Utility][minor action]

Human

* One extra at-will power from your class (already included)
* One bonus feat at 1st level (already included)
* One bonus skill from the skill class list (already included)
* +1 to fortitude, reflex, and will defenses

Warlock

* Eldritch Blast
* This warlock's pact is to the far realm / stars, with the Fate of the Void pact boon.
* Prime Shot
* Shadow Walk
* Warlock's Curse

Doomsayer

* Doomsayer's Action [Level 11]
* Doomsayer's Proclamation [Level 11]
* Doomsayer's Oath [Level 16]
* Fates Entwined [paragon attack 11]
* Accursed Shroud [paragon utility 12]
* Long Fall into Darkness [paragon attack 20]

Magic Items:

Deathcut Armor +2