Search Amazon.com:
Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«188 »
PCjr sidecar
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Combat Pretzel posted:

So, RDMA on Intel, i.e. iWARP, are there actually products that support it? Google leads me to believe that there are 10GbE products that do RDMA, but per Intel, none of their adapters supports it.

Nope; I think they acquired a 10G NIC manufacturer who had cards that did it but it didn't make it into any of the Intel mainline NICs. IIRC Chelsio's the only one still shipping iWARP. In my limited (non iWARP) experience, they were OK? RoCE2 will do most of what iWARP did unless you really don't like Mellanox for some reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

HYPER-THREADING

I have a Dell MD3200 that's in need of replacement, what should I get?

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Bob Morales posted:

I have a Dell MD3200 that's in need of replacement, what should I get?
We got cheap netapp boxes and they're kinda OK? The CPU's murder the write performance but they're otherwise uneventful.

big money big clit
Oct 19, 2004

Breaux, Breaux, you seen a defense around here anywhere!?

How much space? What is your budget? What is the workload they're going to be running? What are your feature requirements? What protocols do you need it to support?

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

The MD3200 is a DAS. The 3200i is the iSCSI model.

I've ran/run a handful of 3200i and 3220i (and now a 3860i) and hell, they are solid cheap bulk storage.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

HYPER-THREADING

Moey posted:

The MD3200 is a DAS. The 3200i is the iSCSI model.

I've ran/run a handful of 3200i and 3220i (and now a 3860i) and hell, they are solid cheap bulk storage.

It's connected to a pair of 620's and basically used as a VM storage, pretty light use. I just want to get something that will be under warranty (this one is close to 5 years old) and faster is always a bonus.

Is it possible to get something that can be on the network as well as DAS?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

Bless you, ants. Blants.

Fun Shoe

"On the network" as in NAS? Or just shared between VM hosts?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

HYPER-THREADING

Thanks Ants posted:

"On the network" as in NAS? Or just shared between VM hosts?

In theory be available for anything to use instead of just the two directly connected servers

big money big clit
Oct 19, 2004

Breaux, Breaux, you seen a defense around here anywhere!?

How do you want things to access it over the network? What protocols? If it's accessible over the network via, say, iSCSI then it doesn't need to be DAS capable. You can just connect the VM hosts via iSCSI.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

Bless you, ants. Blants.

Fun Shoe

Probably NetApp then.

«188 »