Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«201 »
Vanilla
Feb 24, 2002

Hay guys what's going on in th

Moey posted:

Just racked a Dell/EMC Unity XT 480F to demo.

I'll report back next week if it functions as intended or if it is a hot dumpster fire.

You are aware they have just announced their new omgPowerStore line to replace all the things? Including unity afaik.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Vanilla posted:

You are aware they have just announced their new omgPowerStore line to replace all the things? Including unity afaik.

I was not. Unity XT was just launched in mid 2019 to my knowledge to phase out the original Unity line.

Edit:

Hmmm. Sure looks very similar but more powerful. I'll have to see how pricing compares.

Moey fucked around with this message at 03:25 on May 12, 2020

Langolas
Feb 12, 2011

My mustache makes me sexy, not the hat

Powerstore and UnityXT use mostly the same hardware. Just some slight differences with the Powerstore hardware having a few extra bells and whistles for options

UnityXT comes down the line from the Clariion/VNX days of succession. Powerstore is Dell taking the various midrange products and making something new and eventually converge the product lines. From what I am told, the underlying block storage functions was made by the XIO guys to plan for NVME and Storage class memory usage. Powerstore's storage operating system will eventually go software defined for integration all over the place in the cloud, whitebox hardware etc according to the sales documents (if we believe them). Powerstore can also be HCI, Scale out or up depending but seems like they have features coming down the line not fully implemented yet.

Essentially one is a new product that will have new product pains. Might be wise to sit and watch what the industry says about it.

Mistikman
Jan 21, 2001

I was born ready. I'm Ron Fucking Swanson.

I am building a new computer using an SFF case.

My current computer has 2 4TB drives in RAID 1 for data storage.

They won't fit inside my new computer, but I am still looking for access to storage, so I was thinking of an external enclosure, but after thinking about it some more, I was thinking I might have better results using a cheap personal use NAS solution.

Does anyone have experience with this who would know if tossing those 2 HDDs into this would be reasonable for file storage needs?

https://www.amazon.com/Synology-Dis...MP81/ref=sr_1_4

The 2 drives I currently have are a set of these:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B...0?ie=UTF8&psc=1

They aren't specified to be NAS drives, and they are about a year and a half old. Could I expect them to last for awhile in a NAS enclosure that would be running 24/7? Since they are in a RAID, if one fails, I won't lose my data, so even if I could probably get a couple years out of them that should be plenty.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Mistikman posted:

I am building a new computer using an SFF case.

My current computer has 2 4TB drives in RAID 1 for data storage.

They won't fit inside my new computer, but I am still looking for access to storage, so I was thinking of an external enclosure, but after thinking about it some more, I was thinking I might have better results using a cheap personal use NAS solution.

Does anyone have experience with this who would know if tossing those 2 HDDs into this would be reasonable for file storage needs?

https://www.amazon.com/Synology-Dis...MP81/ref=sr_1_4

The 2 drives I currently have are a set of these:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B...0?ie=UTF8&psc=1

They aren't specified to be NAS drives, and they are about a year and a half old. Could I expect them to last for awhile in a NAS enclosure that would be running 24/7? Since they are in a RAID, if one fails, I won't lose my data, so even if I could probably get a couple years out of them that should be plenty.

That's a question for the nas thread but i'll answer it anyway. WD Blue are poo poo for raid purposes(they are what it was once called greens, a lot of nas appliances will throw issues when the disks go to sleep), i would not use them for 24/7 setups like a nas. There are standalone disk chassis like the QNAP TR-004/TR-002 that might fit your disks better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aunt Beth
Feb 23, 2006

Baby, you're ready!

Grimey Drawer

This question sort of straddles the line between storage and backups, but has anyone used HubStor or know anyone who does? Veeam is loving around with their licensing just as we're starting to have a need to back up our O365 data so I'm looking at options. They seem almost too good to be true since they can handle VMware backups, cloud backups, O365, and do some nifty archival/retention/compliance stuff, plus storage tiering.

«201 »