Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer
yep if it were me, I would be looking at a multiprotocol device, like a netapp or oracle zfs appliance. get a shitload of spindles and a shitload of cache. You can connect your end users via plain old ethernet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rekka
Feb 1, 2004

oh god, it's.... THE DOOOO!
Thanks guys,

Yeah, I meant fibre but got mixed up with FC.

What is a realistic amount of throughput we can get with one of these machines. Lets say we have 5 PCs that will be working on the data.(and the other pcs will be there just to look at it when its finished and to transfer it to another server later.)

Each user would need 20TB of hard disk space, 5 users so around 100TB of HD space.

Let's say I was aiming for transfer speeds of 1000 mb/s or more for all 5 users at the same time, would that be possible with the right configuration?

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

The ceiling on gigabit ethernet is going to be about 800 mb/s. It really depends on what you are doing. Just copying files? Possibly. But you're talking about a very specific use case and there are vendors / consultants out there that will specialize in that type of environment. I would suggest reaching out to them before spending a ton of money on hardware and finding out it isn't going to work for you.

KennyTheFish
Jan 13, 2004
Go to vendors and integrators with your needs and then get them to scope it up. 10 G ethernet stuff (NICs, Switches, cables) is very affordable these days.

Amandyke
Nov 27, 2004

A wha?
I need to update a bunch of user quotas on cdot. Aside from going through them one by one does anyone have any ideas on how to more result automate the quota increases? Roughly 200 users of 12,000. Quota reports on the GUI are extremely cumbersome as you cannot seem to sort by percentage of quota used.

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012
Netapp has a powershell provider right? Might be worth scripting.

Zephirus
May 18, 2004

BRRRR......CHK

Thanks Ants posted:

Think of fibre channel like connecting a hard drive's SATA cable to multiple PCs. Your first question should be "how do I stop people overwriting my stuff?". FC can only have a 1:1 relationship between LUNs and hosts, unless the host is cluster-aware, which it's unlikely a bunch of video editing machines will be.

You're looking for shared storage, or NAS. You can connect to this over 10Gbps fibre assuming the arrays can keep up, but that's not FC.

A lot of large media/editing places (mine included) use Quantum StoreNext (Also rebadged as XSAN) to get around this - it does multimounting of FC connected filesystems on hundreds of hosts. You can also have NAS appliances presenting this VIA IP based StoreNEXT protocols, or you can roll your own NAS Heads with Samba/Windows.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Thanks Ants posted:

"Oh wow a chance to run OpenFiler in production on some DL380s I got off eBay! Finally I can save someone else's money and it will only cost me some of my worthless time."

That's a Scott Alan Miller Storage Device you goony gently caress.

parid
Mar 18, 2004

Amandyke posted:

I need to update a bunch of user quotas on cdot. Aside from going through them one by one does anyone have any ideas on how to more result automate the quota increases? Roughly 200 users of 12,000. Quota reports on the GUI are extremely cumbersome as you cannot seem to sort by percentage of quota used.

I'm pretty sure there is a command to pull in a file over http to update quotas. I have an 7-mode system with a couple hundred custom set user quotas that I'm going to be migrating to cmode in a year or two and noticed this is going to be a problem. If you figure it out, I'd love to hear how.

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad

Rhymenoserous posted:

That guy singlehandedly makes Spiceworks a terrible place.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

KS posted:

That guy singlehandedly makes Spiceworks a terrible place.

Seriously, every idiot over there wants to blow him. It makes my blood boil reading threads that come up on google.

KennyG
Oct 22, 2002
Here to blow my own horn.

Rhymenoserous posted:

Ken Rockwell's alter ego.

Although, thought exercise. People seeking no-cost IT advice from a crowd full of marginally educated people without any budget are likely going to recommend the most inexpensive solution draw backs be damned in every instance. It would be a shock if the results were any different. Frankly, the :10bux: to get in here will skew the results back in the favor of 'if you want quality, you have to pay for it.' There is a lot of snakeoil and FUD out there, but in the end, you have to know that storing fractional petabytes with any kind of performance requirement is going to cost more than backblaze.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

KennyG posted:

Ken Rockwell's alter ego.

Although, thought exercise. People seeking no-cost IT advice from a crowd full of marginally educated people without any budget are likely going to recommend the most inexpensive solution draw backs be damned in every instance. It would be a shock if the results were any different. Frankly, the :10bux: to get in here will skew the results back in the favor of 'if you want quality, you have to pay for it.' There is a lot of snakeoil and FUD out there, but in the end, you have to know that storing fractional petabytes with any kind of performance requirement is going to cost more than backblaze.

I like the warm comfort of knowing that if I have major issues with a device I can have a technical expert on site within 12-24 hours (Depending on severity) to help me deal with it. The thought of having openfiler go tits up on some shitbox running production data with me as the last line of support actually gives me the heebie jeebies.

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib

Rhymenoserous posted:

I like the warm comfort of knowing that if I have major issues with a device I can have a technical expert on site within 12-24 hours (Depending on severity) to help me deal with it. The thought of having openfiler go tits up on some shitbox running production data with me as the last line of support actually gives me the heebie jeebies.
I also like the idea of being able to take a vacation without the worry of being the only guy in the world who understands how my duct taped solution actually functions.

NullPtr4Lunch
Jun 22, 2012

Aquila posted:

This is why I bought a Hitachi SAN. In many ways it's been a nightmare, but it keeps serving my data, keeping the company up, and helps me keep my job.

I'm actually pretty happy with mine for the same reason. It's sort of a pain in the rear end, but ultimately none of that pain in the rear end ends up affecting business (except for occupying more of my limited time). poo poo runs and runs smoothly.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
If I just want to add a bunch of storage to a server for hires image storage for a 9 person department that's not crazy high access dependant, am I ok going with something like one of those Seagate/QNAP rackmount 8TB nas units?

I'd probably just iSCSI it onto the server and share it out from there.

I'd prefer to keep this under 2 grand.

Bitch Stewie
Dec 17, 2011

LmaoTheKid posted:

If I just want to add a bunch of storage to a server for hires image storage for a 9 person department that's not crazy high access dependant, am I ok going with something like one of those Seagate/QNAP rackmount 8TB nas units?

I'd probably just iSCSI it onto the server and share it out from there.

I'd prefer to keep this under 2 grand.

Sure it'll work, just keep in mind that assuming it's a spanky nice Dell/HP/Cisco with proper support you're pairing it with something that has (at best) SMB grade support if there's an issue that either affects the server, or the availability of the data.

I quite like Synology FWIW but treat them for what they are which is SMB grade gear, not enterprise in terms of support and backup should you need it.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Bitch Stewie posted:

Sure it'll work, just keep in mind that assuming it's a spanky nice Dell/HP/Cisco with proper support you're pairing it with something that has (at best) SMB grade support if there's an issue that either affects the server, or the availability of the data.

I quite like Synology FWIW but treat them for what they are which is SMB grade gear, not enterprise in terms of support and backup should you need it.

It's basically going to be a staging ground for our agents to store images. Noting more. I'm not super worried about support beyond finding a replacement drive if one dies.

Totally ok with it not having enterprise support.

I'll be hanging it off an R710 that's only a file server.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I'd prefer to add a tray of DAS to a server than rely on a Synology box - at least you can get ProSupport on it.

Bitch Stewie
Dec 17, 2011

LmaoTheKid posted:

It's basically going to be a staging ground for our agents to store images. Noting more. I'm not super worried about support beyond finding a replacement drive if one dies.

Totally ok with it not having enterprise support.

I'll be hanging it off an R710 that's only a file server.

Long as you're comfortable with that it shouldn't be an issue technically - love Synology just wouldn't use them as primary storage for critical stuff like VMs etc.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

There's also the option to throw it on something like Amazon S3, depending on the workflow.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Docjowles posted:

There's also the option to throw it on something like Amazon S3, depending on the workflow.

I've been kicking around the idea of using s3 for archival reasons. But I'm not crazy about them doing that for things they might need right away as a lot of these images will be quite large.

Bitch Stewie
Dec 17, 2011
Keep in mind it *might* be an option to just use the NAS abilities of the Synology - that's what we do with stuff like images as there's (for us) no real benefit in presenting it to a server as block storage.

If you need to back the stuff up or do anything where having it appear as block to the server is a benefit then iscsi would make sense.

Bitch Stewie
Dec 17, 2011

Thanks Ants posted:

I'd prefer to add a tray of DAS to a server than rely on a Synology box - at least you can get ProSupport on it.

I always find it a bit twisted that DAS boxes tend to cost more than a new server with most vendors.

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Every man likes a pretty girl with him at a skeleton dance.
I've been tasked with unfucking our storage situation. :downsgun:

We have windows workstations that are used to collect data for litigation and investigation purposes. Currently that data is stored locally on a miss-mash of local drives with no redundancy or data protection. My goal is to migrate the data off onto a NAS on a regular basis. Then at least create a RAID on the workstations sacrificing space for redundancy.

My NAS is a HP server with ~40TB of data. Currently the drives are configured as RAID (assuming 6, but no confirmation currently) then that RAID presented to the FreeNAS OS which then formatted as a ZFS pool with snapshots enabled. Is this as dumb I think it is? AFAIK I should have the RAID card in JBOD / IT mode then recreate the RAIDZx (thinking RAIDZ3) within FreeNAS.

Two questions: Given everything touching this drat thing is Windows-based, am I better off just switching to Windows Server 2008/2012? I'm not sure where the previous guy was going and while I use NAS4Free at home, I'm not positive it is something I want to administer at work given it would be the only instance of a non OSX or Windows OS in my environment.

We want to push data from the workstations to the NAS on a regular basis, on Linux I'd just create a chronjob to rsync the data across the network. Is there something similar I could do in Windows?

Nystral fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Dec 28, 2014

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad
Have you considered just buying Crashplan? Problems like this are already solved, the solutions are cheap, and reinventing the wheel is a bad idea. Crashplan (and its competitors) give you reports you can use to be sure everything's backed up and address problems before they become liabilities.

Also, yes, this:

Nystral posted:

Currently the drives are configured as RAID (assuming 6, but no confirmation currently) then that RAID presented to the FreeNAS OS which then formatted as a ZFS pool with snapshots enabled. Is this as dumb I think it is? AFAIK I should have the RAID card in JBOD / IT mode then recreate the RAIDZx (thinking RAIDZ3) within FreeNAS.

is a bad idea. ZFS is supposed to see raw devices.

KS fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Dec 28, 2014

parid
Mar 18, 2004
Or do both. Put crashplan on immediately. Have something covering you while you set up a NAS solution and fight to change the corporate culture.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
Sounds like a law firm, last one I worked at had some really strict data encryption requirements. Better solution was encrypted on site storage and don't let them store crap locally.

KennyG
Oct 22, 2002
Here to blow my own horn.

Nystral posted:

I've been tasked with unfucking our storage situation. :downsgun:

We have windows workstations that are used to collect data for litigation and investigation purposes.

I work in Ediscovery. KjATstillabower.com if you want to chat

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

KennyG posted:

I work in Ediscovery. KjATstillabower.com if you want to chat

I also used to work in the IT end of ediscovery.

EDIT: I should say that to "Do it right" requires you throwing a big pile of money at the problem.

tehfeer
Jan 15, 2004
Do they speak english in WHAT?

Vanilla posted:

I see a lot of Nimble users here. I have an opportunity to work for them.

How do you find the kit? The people? Any bad things you've seen as a customer?

Who would you consider their competitors? Did you look at Pure?

Thanks

We have been running our two nimble units for a year now. Their sales and support has been great. No one could beat their price and their sales guys actually responded to questions. The unit itself is easy manage and work as advertised. I have no complaints. Its night and day compared to our old HP SAN. If you have any more questions shoot me a PM.

Vanilla
Feb 24, 2002

Hay guys what's going on in th

tehfeer posted:

We have been running our two nimble units for a year now. Their sales and support has been great. No one could beat their price and their sales guys actually responded to questions. The unit itself is easy manage and work as advertised. I have no complaints. Its night and day compared to our old HP SAN. If you have any more questions shoot me a PM.

Thanks for the replies on this.

I actually have a bit of a battle going on between Nimble and Pure but will end up with one of them very soon

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

Vanilla posted:

I actually have a bit of a battle going on between Nimble and Pure but will end up with one of them very soon
Just today I was listening to one of my coworkers explain to our CDW rep why we went with Nimble instead of NetApp this time around. His opinion was that not only was it cheaper to get TWO Nimble units instead of just one NetApp, he also feels it is the easiest storage he has ever administered. Further, after the sale he had a great experience with a support rep who noticed an unrelated problem on one of our servers when working on another issue, and he took the time to independently research the issue and emailed him a solution, unsolicited, the next day.

All around, it has been a good experience and a great product.

Daylen Drazzi
Mar 10, 2007

Why do I root for Notre Dame? Because I like pain, and disappointment, and anguish. Notre Dame Football has destroyed more dreams than the Irish Potato Famine, and that is the kind of suffering I can get behind.
Was speaking with our EMC guy at work this morning and he was telling me that EMC had just cleared from their lab for production a 1.6TB Enterprise Flash Storage drive with a 5 year MTBF. I told him that I'd be happy to see if I could get it to work in my home lab if he got his hands on one.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Vanilla posted:

We partner with both and I have a very hard time recommending Pure over Nimble in most cases. It's more expensive and the extra performance won't mean much to most customers who won't max out either array. Both are really easy to use, so that's a wash, but Nimble has better integration with things like Veeam and Commvault.

If it's for VMware only then Tintri also has a good product.

Bitch Stewie
Dec 17, 2011

Vanilla posted:

That'll be interesting :)

I'd love to be in a position to have that battle - only thing I can say is that both are vendors who I don't recall ever hearing a bad word about from their customers.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

adorai posted:

Just today I was listening to one of my coworkers explain to our CDW rep why we went with Nimble instead of NetApp this time around. His opinion was that not only was it cheaper to get TWO Nimble units instead of just one NetApp, he also feels it is the easiest storage he has ever administered. Further, after the sale he had a great experience with a support rep who noticed an unrelated problem on one of our servers when working on another issue, and he took the time to independently research the issue and emailed him a solution, unsolicited, the next day.

All around, it has been a good experience and a great product.

Yeah managing a Nimble vs EMC/Netapp is night and day for how few headaches I have.

Vanilla
Feb 24, 2002

Hay guys what's going on in th

NippleFloss posted:

We partner with both and I have a very hard time recommending Pure over Nimble in most cases. It's more expensive and the extra performance won't mean much to most customers who won't max out either array. Both are really easy to use, so that's a wash, but Nimble has better integration with things like Veeam and Commvault.

If it's for VMware only then Tintri also has a good product.

So i've asked around various people who know the two (and others) well and it boils down to this -

Both are very different and both agree that if they see each other in a deal one of them is in the wrong place. If I can summarise my high level points:

Pure:

+ Solid Product
+ Apparently a better roadmap.
+ Pre-IPO
+ Heavily disrupting
+ Everyone is talking about them
+ More performance
- Expensive
- Limited Addressable market

Nimble:

+ Solid Product
+ Inexpensive
+ Greater addressable market
+ Cautious grower
- Literally no negatives I can address

The thing that is swinging me towards Pure is I know the Rep I will be working with. In the Pre-Sales world it's like a marriage. You need to be a good team or you spend the next years hating it......so i'd even take a lower offer if I know the rep.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
Chiming in as someone with 3 Nimble arrays. They are so simple and reliable it's boring.

Feel free to ask me any specifics. Most people have said anything I would have said already.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Vanilla posted:

Pure:

+ Apparently a better roadmap.
+ Heavily disrupting
+ Everyone is talking about them

I don't necessarily agree with these. I haven't seen anything on Pure's roadmap that looks particularly interesting. The technology is nice, but the results aren't all that much better than what you get from a hybrid and they are worse than some other AFAs.

It's also not really disruptive. It's a traditional SAN that does pretty fast and does normal SAN stuff. SDS with Flash will be disruptive, but Pure isn't doing anything very unique as far as feature go, even if the technology under the hood is somewhat unique.

I also hear more about Nimble, and did when I was at NetApp as well. Pure does a lot more marketing though.

Im also not sure about their longevity. Some of their SEs and AMs up here seem a little desperate right now, like they've gotta make something happen soon.