Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

milk milk lemonade
Jul 29, 2016

evil_bunnY posted:

loving robocopy is steadfastly refusing to copy security info and it's making my job way harder than it has to :<

What switches are you using? Are you running robocopy from an account with the proper permission?

I ran into this before and can't remember the problem, but I wound up copying all the files without ACLs and then copied the ACLs separately using the security only switch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

/secfix literally errors out /copy:DATSO failed to replicate ACLs to begin with. I just icacls'ed over the data because i got better poo poo to do.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
/COPYALL or /DATSOU (same result) have never failed me.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

Moey posted:

/COPYALL or /DATSOU (same result) have never failed me.

But it does require you to have high enough permissions on the destination to be able to set those information. It's a likely reason if copying security information fails.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Saukkis posted:

But it does require you to have high enough permissions on the destination to be able to set those information. It's a likely reason if copying security information fails.

Yeah, I'm always running it from an account that has admin rights on both file servers.

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012

evil_bunnY posted:

loving robocopy is steadfastly refusing to copy security info and it's making my job way harder than it has to :<

You could try running it as localsystem.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

I went back to it and as it turns out even if you're editing ACLs on a remote file system with sufficient privileges you need to run as admin. Securitaaaah

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Anyone have any hot takes they would like to share on EMC Unity? We have a client who is trying to cheap out on a particular project and brought in a 3rd party who convinced them that an EMC Unity would be a great fit for their project.

They're looking for shared backend storage for Oracle on Linux and were looking at a 300 hybrid or 400 AFA.

I haven't heard particularly great things about the Unity gear, but haven't ever run one either.

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES

Maneki Neko posted:

Anyone have any hot takes they would like to share on EMC Unity? We have a client who is trying to cheap out on a particular project and brought in a 3rd party who convinced them that an EMC Unity would be a great fit for their project.

They're looking for shared backend storage for Oracle on Linux and were looking at a 300 hybrid or 400 AFA.

I haven't heard particularly great things about the Unity gear, but haven't ever run one either.

we have a couple in production and so far, only one serious performance problem that was addressed with a code upgrade.

the HTLM5 mgmt interface is so much better and for the most part, it has been pretty easy to use and manage. there are a few weird things with the UI that are strange, but that's pretty much par for the course for any of these things.

all in all, so far so good.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Maneki Neko posted:

Well it's basically a slightly freshened VNX, and does absolutely nothing interesting or unique or innovative, and unless their giving it to you for free I can't imagine why anyone would pick it over some of them any competitors.

Also, EMC (now Dell) is the loving worst, just generally.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Is SoftNAS hot trash? Looking for a way of caching around 6TB of general file data onsite and connect to Azure Storage / S3 and push all cold data there rather than dealing with archiving. SoftNAS call this feature a Cloud Gateway, The Azure guys seem to like the product, though their endorsement might only go as far as running a NAS within Azure for Azure workloads to use.

I was also looking at StorSimple Virtual Array 1200, but it's not so easy to come across information for it, and 64TB per deployed array could be a bit limiting.

Langolas
Feb 12, 2011

My mustache makes me sexy, not the hat

Maneki Neko posted:

The heads are underpowered but they announced the 350/450/550/650 models to help address that. I'd make sure your client looks into those so they better future proof. I believe my Dell rep said they start shipping at the end of June.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

FFFFFFFFFffffffffuuuuuuuuuuccckkkkk EMC.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
So, RDMA on Intel, i.e. iWARP, are there actually products that support it? Google leads me to believe that there are 10GbE products that do RDMA, but per Intel, none of their adapters supports it.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Did NetApp's hyperconverged stuff come out of an acquisition or is this an in-house project?

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Thanks Ants posted:

Did NetApp's hyperconverged stuff come out of an acquisition or is this an in-house project?

Solidfire is the storage backend, so partially an acquisition.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Combat Pretzel posted:

So, RDMA on Intel, i.e. iWARP, are there actually products that support it? Google leads me to believe that there are 10GbE products that do RDMA, but per Intel, none of their adapters supports it.

Nope; I think they acquired a 10G NIC manufacturer who had cards that did it but it didn't make it into any of the Intel mainline NICs. IIRC Chelsio's the only one still shipping iWARP. In my limited (non iWARP) experience, they were OK? RoCE2 will do most of what iWARP did unless you really don't like Mellanox for some reason.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

I have a Dell MD3200 that's in need of replacement, what should I get?

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Bob Morales posted:

I have a Dell MD3200 that's in need of replacement, what should I get?
We got cheap netapp boxes and they're kinda OK? The CPU's murder the write performance but they're otherwise uneventful.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

How much space? What is your budget? What is the workload they're going to be running? What are your feature requirements? What protocols do you need it to support?

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
The MD3200 is a DAS. The 3200i is the iSCSI model.

I've ran/run a handful of 3200i and 3220i (and now a 3860i) and hell, they are solid cheap bulk storage.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Moey posted:

The MD3200 is a DAS. The 3200i is the iSCSI model.

I've ran/run a handful of 3200i and 3220i (and now a 3860i) and hell, they are solid cheap bulk storage.

It's connected to a pair of 620's and basically used as a VM storage, pretty light use. I just want to get something that will be under warranty (this one is close to 5 years old) and faster is always a bonus.

Is it possible to get something that can be on the network as well as DAS?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

"On the network" as in NAS? Or just shared between VM hosts?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Thanks Ants posted:

"On the network" as in NAS? Or just shared between VM hosts?

In theory be available for anything to use instead of just the two directly connected servers

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

How do you want things to access it over the network? What protocols? If it's accessible over the network via, say, iSCSI then it doesn't need to be DAS capable. You can just connect the VM hosts via iSCSI.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Probably NetApp then.

BallerBallerDillz
Jun 11, 2009

Cock, Rules, Everything, Around, Me
Scratchmo
I've been trying to set up oVirt on my home lab for a few days now and haven't been able to get it to stand up. I'm thinking that perhaps my storage choices are the issue. Clearly I don't know what I'm doing, which is why I'm trying to stumble through this and learn as I go so forgive me if I'm just being dumb here. Can a single host act as both an iSCSI target and initiator? I've been trying to make it work that way and it's not really working but I could be doing a million other things wrong.

My current set up is:
4 x 256GB ssd drives in RAID5 sda(yeah I know, but it's fine for a home lab)
4 x 146GB 10k drives in RAID5 sdb

sdb is partitioned for the host Centos install with about 150GB left over that I planned on eventually making an iSCSI target block backstore for the ISO storage domain.

sda has no file system or partitions and is set up as an iSCSI block backstore for the main oVirt storage domain.

I'm trying to set up the oVirt hosted engine (4.1 on Centos 7.3) - during the hosted engine setup script it connects to the iSCSI target just fine but when it actually tries to stand up the engine as a VM I get a variety of exotic errors which have little info out there on Google to help me. I know I could just do this with NFS which might make more sense, but I had never touched iSCSI before and wanted to give it a shot. Like I said, I know a ton of things could be going wrong here but I thought I should at least check that it's possible to have a single host as both the initiator and target - everything that comes up when I try to Google it is talking about two different initiators hitting a single target, which I know is bad.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

The Nards Pan posted:

Can a single host act as both an iSCSI target and initiator? I've been trying to make it work that way and it's not really working but I could be doing a million other things wrong.
It's just TCP, so there shouldn't be any roadblocks here. Are you using LIO as your target/initiator? How are you configured? What errors are you seeing?

I don't know anything about oVirt, FWIW, but I've been through the wringer with Linux iSCSI and came out the other end knowing LIO fairly well. I've even had Windows desktops booting off of it, because I'm an absolute masochist.

Vulture Culture fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Jul 12, 2017

Richard Noggin
Jun 6, 2005
Redneck By Default
Anyone have any experience with Nimble's Storage-On-Demand offering? If so, what's your environment like?

BallerBallerDillz
Jun 11, 2009

Cock, Rules, Everything, Around, Me
Scratchmo

Vulture Culture posted:

It's just TCP, so there shouldn't be any roadblocks here. Are you using LIO as your target/initiator? How are you configured? What errors are you seeing?

I don't know anything about oVirt, FWIW, but I've been through the wringer with Linux iSCSI and came out the other end knowing LIO fairly well. I've even had Windows desktops booting off of it, because I'm an absolute masochist.

Thanks for the reply. I am indeed using LIO, but I waffle back and forth on whether storage is the issue. I can connect just fine from my Ubuntu laptop if I set that up as an initiator.

The first go around I was just getting an error along the lines of "Unable to mount storage" or something along that line - it was a oVirt script error, so not very descriptive. I didn't think to go down to the logs and get the real error. The best I could figure is that multipath was fighting between LVM volumes and the iSCSI path. I nuked everything and started over without any LVMs on the host. I got closer that time but got an error from oVirt about the system being unstable and never able to launch. I did dig into the logs there, it was a permission issue in a weird place with the kvm user. I went down the rabbit hole troubleshooting that for a while but never got anywhere. I started a third time and actually got the hosted vm to launch but didn't actually get the engine appliance up on it. After a reboot the hosted-engine can't access the storage despite it still being online, available in multipath, and shows up in lsblk.

I think it's just oVirt being complicated and me still learning. I'm starting from scratch (again) and we'll see if I get any farther. If I don't get it on this shot I'm going to try NFS I guess. At first the oVirt documentation seemed really good, but I feel like I keep coming up with questions that aren't addressed anywhere. If I ever make it work I'm definitely going to write up a guide for anyone else foolish enough to go down this road. It's also frustrating working with on prem bare metal again. I'm almost tempted to delay setting this up and try to learn puppet basics so when I want to nuke it and start over I can get back to a base install quicker.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

This is probably the best thread for this type of question:

Are Intel network cards generally a pain in the rear end to tune? I have a Linux NAS here that runs iSCSI via LIO and Samba. The metric I've been paying the most attention to is single threaded random 4K reads, and something curious happened. With my old Intel X520 cards, I managed to get 14MB/s on iSCSI and 12MB/s on Samba over the wire. Just the mere fact of switching the X520 cards with Mellanox ConnectX3 VPI cards, the iSCSI metric went up to 34-40MB/s and Samba to 45-50MB/s. All these reads come straight from ZFS' ARC, so directly from memory.

Given all the values listed, I don't think 10GbE vs 40GbE should make a difference. No RDMA involved.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
Uh, sequential or random, and how many threads?

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

What OS? Sounds like a firmware/driver issue. The X520 cards are pretty solid under ESXi.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Combat Pretzel posted:

This is probably the best thread for this type of question:

Are Intel network cards generally a pain in the rear end to tune? I have a Linux NAS here that runs iSCSI via LIO and Samba. The metric I've been paying the most attention to is single threaded random 4K reads, and something curious happened. With my old Intel X520 cards, I managed to get 14MB/s on iSCSI and 12MB/s on Samba over the wire. Just the mere fact of switching the X520 cards with Mellanox ConnectX3 VPI cards, the iSCSI metric went up to 34-40MB/s and Samba to 45-50MB/s. All these reads come straight from ZFS' ARC, so directly from memory.

Given all the values listed, I don't think 10GbE vs 40GbE should make a difference. No RDMA involved.
There's too many variables here to give any particularly good advice, and generalizations don't make a difference about your situation anyway. How does iperf look point to point? Are you getting wire speed when you take protocol performance out of the equation, or are you seeing unexpected latency/drops?

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

It's been a while I ran iperf on the Intel cards, but I think it took multiple threads to get it to full rate, whereas the Mellanox cards reach 12GBit on a single thread. With four I get it to 28GBit. Given large copies, the Intel card reached its max. transmission speeds easily on SMB3/Samba without drop-outs (at least so long until the 32GB of RAM on the NAS were filled with buffered writes). It's just that this specific scenario didn't do well on Intel, but just flies on Mellanox.

I don't know how the situation with offloads is on Linux, and what the drivers generally do both on Windows and Linux. Maybe it bypasses TCP on a successful connection and implicitly does RDMA.

Also, in regards to RDMA, I wish Samba would be a little more transparent about its roadmap. It appears you have piece together everything from outdated webpages, stale development branches and presentations hosted on third party sites.

edmund745
Jun 5, 2010
Do any of you guys know anything about terminating optical fiber?...

I want to use an optical fiber communication setup for an Arduino-type project I have. The initial plan requires having 6 separate fibers. I've used plastic/jacketed end-emitting fiber (normally used for decorating) and it worked.
The plastic fiber you can just cut with [whatever] and then shave a bit of the end off with a razor blade and it's good.

I'm not using real connectors or sending units, because those operate at a billion megahertz and cost $100+ each.

Belden makes a telecom fiber cable that has 6 separate fibers in it. This stuff is cheaper per-foot than the 6 plastic ones I used above, but the Belden cable is actual glass fiber. Will I be able to cut this stuff usefully without real fiber-optic tools?
That is to say--do the ends of the glass fiber normally break off--or cut mostly flat, when you just cut them with wire cutters, or do they require end grinding or polishing.... It wouldn't have to be perfect telecom-level quality, but it can't be a crooked jagged end either.
-And real fiber-optic tools cost too much for this kind of rinky-dink stuff. :|

There is a home-networking thread but I dunno if I've ever heard of anyone running their own optical fiber at home, from cable they made themselves....

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I don't think you'll be able to successfully launch an LED into single-mode fibre, but you should be OK with multi-mode. Just be really careful with it, you don't want to embed a bit of glass into yourself.

How are you receiving the signal? I'm not sure real fibre is the best thing for this, as the cross-sectional area is tiny compared to the light pipe stuff you're using now.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Use the 0.5mm soft pvc stuff that costume/cosplayers use. Glass fibre is Serious Business

edmund745
Jun 5, 2010

Thanks Ants posted:

I don't think you'll be able to successfully launch an LED into single-mode fibre, but you should be OK with multi-mode. Just be really careful with it, you don't want to embed a bit of glass into yourself.
How are you receiving the signal? I'm not sure real fibre is the best thing for this, as the cross-sectional area is tiny compared to the light pipe stuff you're using now.
The sending end would have a SMD LED and the receiving end will likely have a bpw34 photodetector.
I bought some short patch cords from somewhere (as surplus) and tried it with them and that work just fine, but I don't know what kind of fiber they are.
It's just real (glass) fiber and they're all the same length, so I don't really want to cut one of them up. And I don't know if the Belden stuff is the same anyway.

Also note that this wouldn't be for kilometer-long distances, it would probably be <2 meters, and several meters at the most.

There are already wired ways to do this like RS485, but for technical reasons that isn't ideal.
The method I want to use just happens to require 6 separate connections, and there is telecom fiber made with 6 fibers.
I could use the same method with wires instead of fiber-optic, but wires have capacitance that slows down the speed overall and wires pick up EMI noise. Optical fiber = no capacitance and no RF noise.
I could get multi-strand shielded cable that wouldn't pick up RF noise, but it would still have the capacitance problem and it would cost more than the Belden 6-fiber cable.
And I could just use the plastic fiber, but that would cost more than the Belden 6-fiber cable.

I might just email a place that has it and ask if they have any shorter pieces they want to get rid of. Only way to see it seems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Have a look at

http://www.fs.com/c/indoor-multifiber-cables-2981?om1-62-5-125-mmf=1&6-fibers=79&lc-lc=15