Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wicaeed
Feb 8, 2005

I mean Nimble does have their expandable hybrid-flash arrays that last I looked were somewhat affordable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

We use about 20 TB SSD and 50 TB HDD in our datacenters, block only. I have a Dell ME series unit. It, uh, gets the job done, I suppose. I'm not familiar with any other manufacturers units that offer a 10 GbE iSCSI chassis that will take disks and flash, and there's neither money nor desire to run all flash. We just don't need it.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

In our latest Netapp purchase we got 150TB of SSD and 6PB of NL-SAS. I don't think Pure is our choice in the near future. At least this tender round was won by Netapp and it fit easily within our existing infrastructure. Previous tender was won by EMC and we decided not to purchase anything, we had just gotten rid of our last piece of EMC.

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

CASTOR: Uh, it was all fine and you don't remember?
VINDMAN: No, it was bad and I do remember.
:thunk:

idk how the vendor agreements shake out at the single-array scale for Pure but +1 for them. Everything just worked.

Aware
Nov 18, 2003

I picked up a white labelled dell r740xd recently for a cheap price. It came with 256gb ssd for OS? And 1x 8tb SAS drive. I think its got a perc740 RAID card. Currently it's running ESXi.

I should be able to buy a bunch of cheap drive sleds off Amazon and load it up with cheap SATA drives right?

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

What are the downsides of top-loading storage chassis vs front/rear in traditional chassis design? The top-loaders offer more disk bays per dollar, and take up less rack space per disk bay.

Specifically, I'm comparing things like 36-bay front/rear capacity storage-focused traditional chassis vs 45 or 60-bay top loaders, which seem to offer a better value.

Are disk temperatures going to be significantly higher on the top loaders?

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Twerk from Home posted:

What are the downsides of top-loading storage chassis vs front/rear in traditional chassis design? The top-loaders offer more disk bays per dollar, and take up less rack space per disk bay.

Specifically, I'm comparing things like 36-bay front/rear capacity storage-focused traditional chassis vs 45 or 60-bay top loaders, which seem to offer a better value.

Are disk temperatures going to be significantly higher on the top loaders?

I'd say the biggest issue with top-load is that you have to pull the chassis out of the rack to replace a HDD. Yes I'm sure that if it is properly installed with the right rails and a suitable cable arm fitted you could do the procedure without powering-off the chassis. However compared to front-load the chance of something going wrong is much higher.

Regarding disk temperatures one would assume that a higher density would lead to higher temperatures however it's really hard to say for sure as it depends on the layout, air-flow and workload.

Happy Dolphin
Apr 12, 2007

:shepface::shepface::shepface:

I just received an IBM FlashSystem 5035. After configuring the IP in the network setup, I change the cable to Port 1 and change the IP on my device to be in the same range as the IP of the SAN - However, the NIC ports doesn't show any link or activity lights. I can see the NIC adapters through the Technician UI but no dice getting to the initial configuration one the non-Technician ports.

I got a service contract on it, but I figured I would see if any goons had any experience with this before going through the hassle.

Update: I figured it out. Apparently Node1 Technician port turns into the 'Tech port' and Technician port on Node2 turns into the Initial Configuration - Despite IBMs documentation saying that Port 1 on same node turns into the Initial Config port. Welp.

Happy Dolphin fucked around with this message at 13:06 on Oct 4, 2021

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

System Access Node
Not Found:ins:

Pile Of Garbage posted:

I'd say the biggest issue with top-load is that you have to pull the chassis out of the rack to replace a HDD. Yes I'm sure that if it is properly installed with the right rails and a suitable cable arm fitted you could do the procedure without powering-off the chassis. However compared to front-load the chance of something going wrong is much higher.

Regarding disk temperatures one would assume that a higher density would lead to higher temperatures however it's really hard to say for sure as it depends on the layout, air-flow and workload.
There's still the issue of gyroscopic precession causing wear and tear on the platters and motors when you're moving up to 90 disks at a time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

There's still the issue of gyroscopic precession causing wear and tear on the platters and motors when you're moving up to 90 disks at a time.

Yeah true, didn't even consider that. Definitely only an issue with top-load where you have to move the chassis to replace disks.