Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Stuff like ZFS has proven to be pretty powerful living purely in software space, and also negates some of the specific downsides of hardware cards (RAID 5 write-hole, moving drives between controllers, etc), so I don't think a blanket "software bad hardware good" statement can really apply anymore. No idea if Storage Spaces is any good or not, but I don't think it should be disqualified just because it's software.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
So with Server 2012 R2 out and ESXi 5.5 out, and both offering storage improvements, I'm wondering what's the best way to setup a failover storage cluster now?

In the past it's been a limitation that you couldn't vMotion a machine in a failover cluster because of the way the networking is setup, but since both Server 2012 R2 and ESXi 5.5 have improved backend storage stuff, I'm wondering if there's a good way to do it now?

In another thread someone said that they'd either want a single storage server in HA or a cluster that isn't in HA and wont' vMotion, but if the server won't vMotion I'd have to manually fail over the storage clsuter and shut down the VM if I wanted to do host maintenance, rather than just putting it into maintenance mode and letting it move on its own.

Any thoughts?

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

b0nes posted:

This might be the wrong thread, but is there any way to build a NAS with an external USB drive? I want a Western Digital MyCloud drive, but the reviews I am seeing rate it as a lovely product.

We've got a Home NAS thread, that's probably more what you're looking for:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=2801557&perpage=40&pagenumber=224#pti35

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

the spyder posted:

We max 40GB Infiniband using just spindle drives (massive quantities of spindle drives mind you.) This is on Solaris 11/ZFS/Dual 6-Core xeons with a minimum of 144 disks.

How are you hanging that many spindles off a single box? Are you doing awful cheap hacky solutions or enterprise class hardware with service contracts and the whole bit?

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I believe it's Mean time to unrecoverable error. Around 2TB it hit the point where if you read every bit on the drive you've exceeded the mean.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

Spudalicious posted:

Thanks for the information, this is helpful. I did read up on some SOFS stuff here which seemed pretty neat, if a little bit complicated for our use: http://www.petri.co.il/windows-server-2012-smb-3-scale-out-file-server.htm

I think we'll stick with Compellant for a while. Our warranty is for another three years, so maybe by then we'll have the money for a true storage infrastructure. Right now we're so limited that each individual project manager is responsible for data backups/archiving. Eventually I'd like a competitive, scalable infrastructure so that instead of "no" I can say "sure" when someone comes to me asking for 4-5TB of project data storage.

Maybe in that scenario they need to come to you with check in hand?

My University runs this mammoth 2PB Isilon thing and it's all free to anybody and I don't really understand why/how.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I have to ask, are you part of NEES?

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I read the EMC storage book and it used EMC equipment in examples but the concepts were all generalized.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Turns out when your Compellent gets to 97% full the tiering doesn't work very well and everything slows to poo poo. Good thing we have such good monitoring in place that we were able to catch this before it became a problem :rolleyes:

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Are they finally putting the controller heads into Dell Chassis?

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Our newer Compellent trays are looking to just be 720xd chasis, but our initial kit, from soon after Dell bought Compellent, was still the Super Micro stuff.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Cross posting this from the Enterprise Windows thread, because maybe people have seen something on the storage side:

FISHMANPET posted:

I'm gonna post this in the Storage thread too, but has anyone seen problems with slow storage performance on Server 2012 R2? I've got an open case with Microsoft but we're a month in and still seem to just be flailing randomly at even identifying a problem. I've heard mumblings of others having problems, but wondering if anyone has noticed anything.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

mattisacomputer posted:

VM or physical? What kind of storage?

Physical server, attached with Fibre Channel to a Hitachi SAN. But apparently the same issue is happening on a local 10k SAS disk and also a FusionIO card.

But, it turns out, this request is coming from a production system running unrelease Commvault software in an experimental configuration. I assumed that we were doing normal stuff and other customers were doing this just fine, but nobody is doing this at the scale we are.

So tl;dr; maybe not a problem, backup guy is a poo poo.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

FISHMANPET posted:

Physical server, attached with Fibre Channel to a Hitachi SAN. But apparently the same issue is happening on a local 10k SAS disk and also a FusionIO card.

But, it turns out, this request is coming from a production system running unrelease Commvault software in an experimental configuration. I assumed that we were doing normal stuff and other customers were doing this just fine, but nobody is doing this at the scale we are.

So tl;dr; maybe not a problem, backup guy is a poo poo.

An ending to this story. Backup guy is in fact a poo poo, we burnt a ton of Microsoft support hours for nothing (though storage team is paying for them), other than to determine that Windows is working as expected. Backup team is going to have to get off his rear end and engineer a system that isn't garbage rather than unendingly blaming his performance problems on other people.

He wants to try and replicate this on a 2008 server for his own personal edification, but at this point I don't think anybody has his back.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Exactly that. He's still not convinced that it's not a problem, but nobody is willing to devote resources to tracking down this supposed problem. He kept going back to "well the SAN was only showing 16 IOPS during the copy" but it's not really an IOPS problem. At least now I have a "backup guy is poo poo" story just like everyone else in the office does. He keeps trying to blame this problem on other people. "Oh it's a Windows problem because Windows can't handle it." "Oh its VMware team problem because they made me consolidate backup groups." Yeah, sure, you do you.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
This particular system may only be backing up our VM infrastructure, but that's thousands of machines, and not our huge pile of data on our Isilon. But I'm only vaguely aware of the details of all of that.

E: I see in the VM thread that you are also an employee of a large public university. So I'm sure you can relate to all sorts of things I'm going through here.

FISHMANPET fucked around with this message at 07:23 on May 6, 2015

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Hard drives are cheap.

It's the stuff you plug them into and the software that runs on that stuff that's expensive.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

Docjowles posted:

I've been asked to help troubleshoot some iSCSI performance issues between a Windows Server host and a NetApp FAS8020. Any suggestions for a good, free storage benchmarking tool that runs on Windows? IOmeter looks decent but it's also old as gently caress (user guide refers to NT 4.0 :corsair:). I don't typically support Windows so I'm out of my element here.

I had an open issue with Microsoft for this and they had me run Storport traces (per the instructions at the top of the link below) and then used these instructions to decipher them. This will specifically gather timing statistics for requests made to the storage device, which was useful somehow. To be honest it's been about six months since I did this so I don't remember why exactly it was useful it helped us eliminate our storage device as a problem (turns out there was no problem other than the backup guy being dumb, but that's another story). Anyway, the link: http://blogs.technet.com/b/askcore/archive/2014/08/19/deciphering-storport-traces-101.aspx

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Does anyone have any insight to performance of the NFS Server in Windows Server 2016 or 2019?

I got this thing kinda dumped in my lap where we're trying to offload some bulk storage form our expensive storage appliance and someone had the genius idea to buy a 36 bay SuperMicro server and stuff it full of 12TB disks, install Windows Server with storage spaces, and the first test customer was using NFS. Performance was abysmal, but it looks like I'm able to get pretty decent performance on the same pool when I copy files from an SMB share onto the storage pool (haven't tried pushing from a windows server to the storage pool with SMB yet).

But before I go too far deep into the rabbit hole, any guidance on NFS with windows?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
This is all a proof of concept and the remote customer was not really willing to put much work into it besides "mount nfs point schedule rsync job" and getting much info from them has been like pulling teeth. So I'm starting over from scratch, going to do some SMB and NFS testing all on my own before letting an uncooperative customer at it.

E: I was so happy living in virtual land where storage and computer are someone else's problems and now I'm just getting dragged back into a physical box and it kinda sucks.

FISHMANPET fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Mar 29, 2019