Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

echo465
Jun 3, 2007
I like ice cream
Anyone using a Promise SAN? We're using a Promise VTrak M610i, which is a 16-SATA, iSCSI box for around $5k. Populate it with 1TB hard drives (that are really only 930MB or so), and you've got 13TB of RAID-6 storage for around $7500.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echo465
Jun 3, 2007
I like ice cream

rage-saq posted:

Get ready to have fun when the controller shits itself and annihilates all the data on your array, and Promise has no idea why and offers no recourse for fixing it or preventing it from happening again (which it will).

I've had 3 different customers who had differing Promise units and they all did something along these lines happen, and Promise basically told them to go gently caress themselves.

I can't tell people enough to avoid this kind of crap.

My google skills must be failing me, because most of the whining about the Promise VTrak line that I am finding is from when Apple discontinued the X-RAID and told everyone to buy Promise instead. I'm interested in hearing it if this is a widespread problem.

echo465 fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Dec 15, 2015

echo465
Jun 3, 2007
I like ice cream

BonoMan posted:

At that price I'm just gonna stab myself in the eye.

So we have 1500 budgeted for a firewall. Only we need a very simple firewall (it's a simple simple simple network). So we're thinking maybe we can get a simple firewall for 400-700 and use the rest for drives?? Any firewall ideas?

Linksys WRT54G family?

Basic PC running a linux firewall distribution? (IPCop, Smoothwall, etc) -- A former employer of mine ran 4 or 5 sites using IPCop and cable modem connections, the largest being maybe 100 office workers.

echo465
Jun 3, 2007
I like ice cream

El_Matarife posted:

HORRIBLE VNX2 bug ETA 175619 https://support.emc.com/docu50194_V...e=en_US
SPA and SPB panic within minutes of each other, and their associated LUNs and DMs go offline. This problem occurs every 90-99 days in the following systems: VNX5200 VNX5400 VNX5600 VNX5800 VNX7600 This problem occurs in a VNX8000 system every 80 days.

I got a call from my EMC rep and immediately filed an SR to get RCM to upgrade us. This is totally fresh off the presses, they don't have a KB article for it. It's only in the release notes for the new version. Thank god I heard today, our new VNX is just about at the 90 day mark.

Edit: Oh AND apparently there's a memory leak fix that was causing SP panics with RecoverPoint or SAN Copy.

Christ, they had a very similar bug with the VNX5300 (and others) that surprised us one morning. Good to see that they've learned from their mistakes.